You may think I'm crazy but.....

GWoman8920

Ok, I'm a college student, Senior actually, and we had to give persuasive speeches in class this week. We could choose any topic we wanted, and I choose why you should go on a carnival cruise! (I'm serious, this is the only place I can share this because you guys will not make fun of me!) So, I thought I would share it with you. The speech is lame because of a format we had to follow, but oh what the heck, here it is! Please don't flame me! :o

Title: All for Fun and Fun for All

Name: Stephanie

Thesis Statement: Convince my audience that they should go on a Carnival Cruise

Organizational Pattern: Chronological Pattern

Introduction

I. Attention Getting Device:

Summer is almost here. (if bad weather say this) It may not seem like it, but I promise it's coming! (If good weather say this) As you came to class the sun was shining, and the temperature is rising. Now I want you to picture this: A nice breeze is blowing. You've got a cold drink in your hand. There's a live band playing on the steel drums, and you don't have a care in the world! Your first stop is Nassau, second St. Martin, and finally St. Thomas. You are on your way to not one, but three of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean. You're on a Carnival Cruise!

II. Purpose:

Today I am here to inform you of why you should go on a Carnival Cruise.

III. Credibility and Relational Connection:

Through extensive research that I have conducted, and the fact the I have cruised personally with Carnival, I am here today to tell you why it's important for you to go on a Carnival Cruise, and why even though you're in college you can afford it.

IV. Orientation Phase:

There are going to be a few phrases, and terms that I will use that I would like to orient you with now, so there's no confusion later.

DOD- Drink of Day. This is a delectable alcoholic drink that Carnival offers, and changes with each day.

Interior Cabin- This is a cabin that is on the interior of the ship, and would not have any outside views.

Window cabin- This cabin is on the outside of the ship and offers a window for you to look out of while cruising

Balcony cabin- This cabin offers a balcony in which you can go outside and look out into the water and breathtaking views of your ports.

PVP- Personal Vacation Planner

V. Impact of the topic and speech:

The reason that you need to listen to me today is because I'm here to tell you about an affordable vacation that anyone can take on any budget. As college students we are soon going to enter the real world, if we're not already close in some aspects, and terms like spring break and summer break won't mean anything. The time is now especially for you to take a vacation like this, because we're at a time in our lives when we have something important to celebrate. I also want you to listen because I'm going to expel any preconceived notions that you cannot afford to go on a cruise.

VI. Enumerated preview

Today I'm going to tell you how and why you can afford to go cruising. Secondly, the different types of vacation you can take with different cruising options. And finally what is offered on the ships and how you can make the most of it.

Transition: Now that I have introduced you to cruising, lets move onto my first main point, which is how and why you can afford to go on a Carnival Cruise.

Body

1. Why and how you can afford to go on a Carnival Cruise.

A. Planning your budget.

1. The most important thing to do when planning your cruise is to set your budget. Are you going to be a minimalist, or are you going to do everything no matter what the cost? By planning a budget you can figure out what amount you need to begin saving for. Budgeting allows you to save or pay amounts without breaking the bank. The first amount you will need to save is 500.00. This is the amount that you put down on your cruise if you are using the layaway option.

2. The ship is all inclusive excepts for alcoholic drinks, and anything from the souvenir shops. You do not have to worry about paying for food at all while on the ship, and let me just tell you, they have 24 hour room service.

B. Cruise Layaway.

1. Carnival offers cruise layaway, and yes, it's just like how it sounds. You put down $500.00 and then you are booked! Afterwards your PVP can set up your cruise. By utilizing the layaway option you are not forced to come up with the entire amount up front. Let me honest life happens, and no matter what if you have a large sum of money sitting in the bank, you'll find something else to spend it on.

2. Depending on how far in advance you take your cruise would set the monthly amounts I would recommend you pay. For my upcoming cruise in November, my monthly payments are $125.00. That's less than half of my car payment. I cut back on eating out, and buying miscellaneous items I don't need. I will have my entire cruise paid off in three more months. And then all I have to do is save for my shore excursions.

C. Sail and sign Cards.

1. Carnival requires you to use an ingenious little device called a sail and sign card. This is basically a credit card you use on the ship. You can put down a credit card when you check in, or you can put down cash. If you put down cash and don't use it all a check is slipped under your door on the last night overnight, and you're done!

2. You can also put money on your sail and sign card before you get on the ship. If you would choose to do so, you can put a monthly amount on your account as well. Then when you get on board, everything is paid for, and all you have to do is order! Going on a Carnival cruise is very affordable.

Transition: Now that I have talked to you about how and why you can afford to go on a Carnival Cruise, I'm going to talk to you about different cruising and vacation options.

2. Different cruising and vacation options

A. Western Caribbean

1. Carnival offers an amazing western Caribbean itinerary that goes to places such as Cozumel Mexico, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. A Western Caribbean cruise offers many different schedules and is one of the most popular cruise offered. The prices can range anywhere from $339.00 per person up to $2000.00 per person. It depends on what you want to spend. An inside cabin is the most economical way to go. This cabin ranges from $339.00 up to $500.00 depending on the time of the year. Western Caribbean cruises are offered all year round. I have personally been on this itinerary and loved it. Besides getting a little sunburned in Grand Cayman, I have no complaints!

2. There are also many different ships that offer this itinerary, and also different lengths. You can take a 3 night, 5 night, 7 night all the way up to a 9 night cruise. Different ports are offered on the different lengths.

B. Eastern Caribbean

1. Eastern Caribbean offers the eastern side of the islands. This includes beautiful destinations such as Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Like a Western Caribbean there are different lengths, and different itineraries. The prices are usually the same, or very comparable.

C. All the others

1. There are also many other itineraries for a person to enjoy. Such include Europe, Alaska, Panama Canal, and Southern Caribbean. These destinations are going to be a lot more expensive, but if you have your heart set on going, the beauty is you can book up to two years in advance, and begin saving. Remember, all you have to do is put $500.00 down.

Transition: Now that I have talked to you about different cruising and vacation options I'm going to talk to you about what is offered on a Carnival Fun ship and how to make the most of it.

3. What is offered on the ship and how you can make the most of it.

A. Carnival Capers

1. Carnival offers what they call capers. Every night while you're enjoying dinner, the room stewards provide a turn down service for your room. Usually a cute towel animal will be left on your bed along with Capers. Capers are a wonderful way of planning the next day. If you don't want to plan, and just go with the flow, all you have to do is look at them, and you know what the next day will bring. I personally recommend bringing a highlighter with you. They have a little tear off tab that you can keep in your pocket that lists the days events, show times, and different sales that souvenir shops are having.

2. (cut if running low on time) Capers also offer a unique memorable way of remembering your cruise. If you're into scrap booking, or just want to reminisce about your trip, all you have to do is get them and you're ready to relive a wonderful vacation!

B. In Port

1. There are a number of things to do while you're in port. Carnival offers what they call shore excursions. This is a Carnival sponsored tour or adventure that lets you get around your destination with ease, and without worries. Some different shore excursions I took on a Western Caribbean cruise included shopping, Swimming with Stingrays, and going on an authentic Jamaican bobsled.

2. You don't have to do anything if you don't want to! If you're tight on money, and don't want to spend it on a shore excursion, no one says you have to! There are many people that will get off the ship, hail a taxi, do some sight seeing, shop, and then go back to the ship. Personally I recommend doing at least one. I mean, when are you ever going to get an opportunity to go on a Jamaican bobsled and swim with a stingray?

C. Sea Days

1. Days at sea, are just what they are. You are not porting anywhere, and have no where to go. You spend your time on the ship. There are many activities that are offered, or you can find a good deck chair with a good book and a good drink and not have a care in the world. Sea days are designed to let you do whatever you want. Many people participate in activities and many sit around leisurely, the beauty is still that it's your vacation and you can do whatever you want.

Transition: Now that I have given you my main points, I will conclude

Conclusion

I. Wrap up signal:

I'm sure today I have given you a lot of information to consider about your next vacation.

II. Restatement of Thesis:

Today I wanted to convince you to go on a Carnival Cruise

III. Summary of main points

I talked to you about how and why you can afford to go on a Carnival Cruise, the different cruising and vacation options offered, and finally what is offered on the ship and how you can make the most of it.

IV. Audience motivation:

I encourage you to remember the information I have given you today. I know we are all counting down the days until summer, and many of us are going to be planning vacations.

V. Relational reinforcement:

With us being in college, and a lot of us being done soon. It's important for us to take this time for ourselves. I know that after finals the first thing I need is a vacation. I'm sure you do too.

VI. Clincher statement:

The next time you're stuck in the snow and ice, remember, you're only a phone call, or a visit to the internet away from sipping a DOD and on your way to paradise!

Sounds great but if you could add that the deposit for shorter cruises are less and 500 down is only for solo cruisers. Makes it sound more affordable.

Deposit and Payments

Length of Cruise.....Deposit Required.....Balance Required

Cruise to Nowhere........... $50 pp.................. 60 days

2 days........................... $100 pp.................. 60 days

3 days........................... $100 pp.................. 60 days

4 days........................... $150 pp.................. 60 days

5 days ...........................$200 pp ..................60 days

6 days ...........................$250 pp.................. 75 days

7 days ...........................$250 pp.................. 75 days

8 days ...........................$300 pp.................. 75 days

9 days ...........................$300 pp.................. 75 days

Alaska / Cruise Tour....... $350 pp.................. 75 days

10 days and longer......... $400 pp.................. 75 days

Europe ..........................$500 pp.................. 90 days

Sounds great but if you could add that the deposit for shorter cruises are less and 500 down is only for solo cruisers. Makes it sound more affordable.

Deposit and Payments

Length of Cruise.....Deposit Required.....Balance Required

Cruise to Nowhere........... $50 pp.................. 60 days

2 days........................... $100 pp.................. 60 days

3 days........................... $100 pp.................. 60 days

4 days........................... $150 pp.................. 60 days

5 days ...........................$200 pp ..................60 days

6 days ...........................$250 pp.................. 75 days

7 days ...........................$250 pp.................. 75 days

8 days ...........................$300 pp.................. 75 days

9 days ...........................$300 pp.................. 75 days

Alaska / Cruise Tour....... $350 pp.................. 75 days

10 days and longer......... $400 pp.................. 75 days

Europe ..........................$500 pp.................. 90 days

yeah I wanted to do something like that, but I only had 8 minutes and 30 seconds, which sounds like a long time, but it's really not....

So is Carnival giving you a commission or OBC for everyone you got to sign up for a cruise with them?

Great speech!

Actually I had thought about sending it in with my grade once I get it. Maybe they will give me some OBC with my cruise in November....

yeah I wanted to do something like that, but I only had 8 minutes and 30 seconds, which sounds like a long time, but it's really not....

Deposits..starting at as little as $200..no need to mention all the deposit pricing..My friends (all waaay outta college) are amazed at the low price for cruzing these days. most think it's thousands of $$$$$ just to set foot on a ship.. good Luck

Ok, I'm a college student, Senior actually, and we had to give persuasive speeches in class this week. We could choose any topic we wanted, and I choose why you should go on a carnival cruise! (I'm serious, this is the only place I can share this because you guys will not make fun of me!) So, I thought I would share it with you. The speech is lame because of a format we had to follow, but oh what the heck, here it is! Please don't flame me! :o

Title: All for Fun and Fun for All

Name: Stephanie

Thesis Statement: Convince my audience that they should go on a Carnival Cruise

Organizational Pattern: Chronological Pattern

Introduction

I. Attention Getting Device:

Summer is almost here. (if bad weather say this) It may not seem like it, but I promise it's coming! (If good weather say this) As you came to class the sun was shining, and the temperature is rising. Now I want you to picture this: A nice breeze is blowing. You've got a cold drink in your hand. There's a live band playing on the steel drums, and you don't have a care in the world! Your first stop is Nassau, second St. Martin, and finally St. Thomas. You are on your way to not one, but three of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean. You're on a Carnival Cruise!

II. Purpose:

Today I am here to inform you of why you should go on a Carnival Cruise.

III. Credibility and Relational Connection:

Through extensive research that I have conducted, and the fact the I have cruised personally with Carnival, I am here today to tell you why it's important for you to go on a Carnival Cruise, and why even though you're in college you can afford it.

IV. Orientation Phase:

There are going to be a few phrases, and terms that I will use that I would like to orient you with now, so there's no confusion later.

DOD- Drink of Day. This is a delectable alcoholic drink that Carnival offers, and changes with each day.

Interior Cabin- This is a cabin that is on the interior of the ship, and would not have any outside views.

Window cabin- This cabin is on the outside of the ship and offers a window for you to look out of while cruising

Balcony cabin- This cabin offers a balcony in which you can go outside and look out into the water and breathtaking views of your ports.

PVP- Personal Vacation Planner

V. Impact of the topic and speech:

The reason that you need to listen to me today is because I'm here to tell you about an affordable vacation that anyone can take on any budget. As college students we are soon going to enter the real world, if we're not already close in some aspects, and terms like spring break and summer break won't mean anything. The time is now especially for you to take a vacation like this, because we're at a time in our lives when we have something important to celebrate. I also want you to listen because I'm going to expel any preconceived notions that you cannot afford to go on a cruise.

VI. Enumerated preview

Today I'm going to tell you how and why you can afford to go cruising. Secondly, the different types of vacation you can take with different cruising options. And finally what is offered on the ships and how you can make the most of it.

Transition: Now that I have introduced you to cruising, lets move onto my first main point, which is how and why you can afford to go on a Carnival Cruise.

Body

1. Why and how you can afford to go on a Carnival Cruise.

A. Planning your budget.

1. The most important thing to do when planning your cruise is to set your budget. Are you going to be a minimalist, or are you going to do everything no matter what the cost? By planning a budget you can figure out what amount you need to begin saving for. Budgeting allows you to save or pay amounts without breaking the bank. The first amount you will need to save is 500.00. This is the amount that you put down on your cruise if you are using the layaway option.

2. The ship is all inclusive excepts for alcoholic drinks, and anything from the souvenir shops. You do not have to worry about paying for food at all while on the ship, and let me just tell you, they have 24 hour room service.

B. Cruise Layaway.

1. Carnival offers cruise layaway, and yes, it's just like how it sounds. You put down $500.00 and then you are booked! Afterwards your PVP can set up your cruise. By utilizing the layaway option you are not forced to come up with the entire amount up front. Let me honest life happens, and no matter what if you have a large sum of money sitting in the bank, you'll find something else to spend it on.

2. Depending on how far in advance you take your cruise would set the monthly amounts I would recommend you pay. For my upcoming cruise in November, my monthly payments are $125.00. That's less than half of my car payment. I cut back on eating out, and buying miscellaneous items I don't need. I will have my entire cruise paid off in three more months. And then all I have to do is save for my shore excursions.

C. Sail and sign Cards.

1. Carnival requires you to use an ingenious little device called a sail and sign card. This is basically a credit card you use on the ship. You can put down a credit card when you check in, or you can put down cash. If you put down cash and don't use it all a check is slipped under your door on the last night overnight, and you're done!

2. You can also put money on your sail and sign card before you get on the ship. If you would choose to do so, you can put a monthly amount on your account as well. Then when you get on board, everything is paid for, and all you have to do is order! Going on a Carnival cruise is very affordable.

Transition: Now that I have talked to you about how and why you can afford to go on a Carnival Cruise, I'm going to talk to you about different cruising and vacation options.

2. Different cruising and vacation options

A. Western Caribbean

1. Carnival offers an amazing western Caribbean itinerary that goes to places such as Cozumel Mexico, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. A Western Caribbean cruise offers many different schedules and is one of the most popular cruise offered. The prices can range anywhere from $339.00 per person up to $2000.00 per person. It depends on what you want to spend. An inside cabin is the most economical way to go. This cabin ranges from $339.00 up to $500.00 depending on the time of the year. Western Caribbean cruises are offered all year round. I have personally been on this itinerary and loved it. Besides getting a little sunburned in Grand Cayman, I have no complaints!

2. There are also many different ships that offer this itinerary, and also different lengths. You can take a 3 night, 5 night, 7 night all the way up to a 9 night cruise. Different ports are offered on the different lengths.

B. Eastern Caribbean

1. Eastern Caribbean offers the eastern side of the islands. This includes beautiful destinations such as Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Like a Western Caribbean there are different lengths, and different itineraries. The prices are usually the same, or very comparable.

C. All the others

1. There are also many other itineraries for a person to enjoy. Such include Europe, Alaska, Panama Canal, and Southern Caribbean. These destinations are going to be a lot more expensive, but if you have your heart set on going, the beauty is you can book up to two years in advance, and begin saving. Remember, all you have to do is put $500.00 down.

Transition: Now that I have talked to you about different cruising and vacation options I'm going to talk to you about what is offered on a Carnival Fun ship and how to make the most of it.

3. What is offered on the ship and how you can make the most of it.

A. Carnival Capers

1. Carnival offers what they call capers. Every night while you're enjoying dinner, the room stewards provide a turn down service for your room. Usually a cute towel animal will be left on your bed along with Capers. Capers are a wonderful way of planning the next day. If you don't want to plan, and just go with the flow, all you have to do is look at them, and you know what the next day will bring. I personally recommend bringing a highlighter with you. They have a little tear off tab that you can keep in your pocket that lists the days events, show times, and different sales that souvenir shops are having.

2. (cut if running low on time) Capers also offer a unique memorable way of remembering your cruise. If you're into scrap booking, or just want to reminisce about your trip, all you have to do is get them and you're ready to relive a wonderful vacation!

B. In Port

1. There are a number of things to do while you're in port. Carnival offers what they call shore excursions. This is a Carnival sponsored tour or adventure that lets you get around your destination with ease, and without worries. Some different shore excursions I took on a Western Caribbean cruise included shopping, Swimming with Stingrays, and going on an authentic Jamaican bobsled.

2. You don't have to do anything if you don't want to! If you're tight on money, and don't want to spend it on a shore excursion, no one says you have to! There are many people that will get off the ship, hail a taxi, do some sight seeing, shop, and then go back to the ship. Personally I recommend doing at least one. I mean, when are you ever going to get an opportunity to go on a Jamaican bobsled and swim with a stingray?

C. Sea Days

1. Days at sea, are just what they are. You are not porting anywhere, and have no where to go. You spend your time on the ship. There are many activities that are offered, or you can find a good deck chair with a good book and a good drink and not have a care in the world. Sea days are designed to let you do whatever you want. Many people participate in activities and many sit around leisurely, the beauty is still that it's your vacation and you can do whatever you want.

Transition: Now that I have given you my main points, I will conclude

Conclusion

I. Wrap up signal:

I'm sure today I have given you a lot of information to consider about your next vacation.

II. Restatement of Thesis:

Today I wanted to convince you to go on a Carnival Cruise

III. Summary of main points

I talked to you about how and why you can afford to go on a Carnival Cruise, the different cruising and vacation options offered, and finally what is offered on the ship and how you can make the most of it.

IV. Audience motivation:

I encourage you to remember the information I have given you today. I know we are all counting down the days until summer, and many of us are going to be planning vacations.

V. Relational reinforcement:

With us being in college, and a lot of us being done soon. It's important for us to take this time for ourselves. I know that after finals the first thing I need is a vacation. I'm sure you do too.

VI. Clincher statement:

The next time you're stuck in the snow and ice, remember, you're only a phone call, or a visit to the internet away from sipping a DOD and on your way to paradise!

lol I don't think you are funny...because I did the same thing!!! I grad college long ago but had to go back and take a speech class 2 years ago and did my speech on cruising too!!! People LOVED it! And it was so easy to talk about...lol

Very Good!

Wish I had seen it before our first cruise - it has some very good basic information that I didn't find out until we were on the cruise. I know a lot of the details from posts on this forum, but some of the basic stuff I didn't know. Good Job. Hope you get an "A". :)

As one who used to be called upon to do a lot of public speaking, and one who has had training in that area, I like the effort very much. You make me want to go out and book a cruise on Carnival................wait a minute, I did that last month!

Doc:D

Archived