Pearl stateroom or balcony?

Markanddonna

I need to make this decision pretty quick. I have a DD oceanview stateroom booked for Alaska. For about $500 more, I can have a "guaranteed balcony".

Okay, first are there any "bad balcony rooms"?

Am I taking a risk with a guaranteed balcony or is that only a bonus since I likely am going to get a higher category since there are obviously no BE balconies to book?

I'm sure it is worth the $500. My DH says he doesn't care (such an easy to get along with guy).

Would you do it or wait until after the final payment is due April 21st for an even better deal?

I am so grateful for all the wisdom on board!

Thanks,

Donna

If your husband doesn't care? Go for it! For me, the balcony was cool, but I could have just as easily gone outside to see what I did. I spent very little time in the room. I always got up early to go see the ship dock wherever we were going.

I need to make this decision pretty quick. I have a DD oceanview stateroom booked for Alaska. For about $500 more, I can have a "guaranteed balcony".

Okay, first are there any "bad balcony rooms"?

Am I taking a risk with a guaranteed balcony or is that only a bonus since I likely am going to get a higher category since there are obviously no BE balconies to book?

I'm sure it is worth the $500. My DH says he doesn't care (such an easy to get along with guy).

Would you do it or wait until after the final payment is due April 21st for an even better deal?

I am so grateful for all the wisdom on board!

Thanks,

Donna

I think you are better off staying with the ocean view until the next sale when you can likely move up to a balcony OF YOUR CHOOSING for little more than you paid for the OV.

A guarantee may get you an upgrade but it may get you the worst balcony on the ship and yes there are some that are not so great.

I think you are better off staying with the ocean view until the next sale when you can likely move up to a balcony OF YOUR CHOOSING for little more than you paid for the OV.

I agree. Wait. This is what I've been going through. We booked an DD OV back in January. A few days after final payment, the rate dropped $20/pp. Fine, whatever, no biggie. Three weeks ago the rate dropped to $100/pp less than what we paid. At the same time, the balcony rates dropped to what I thought was reasonable, so I paid $150/pp to upgrade to BD GTY. The cabin was assigned within a couple days. Today the BA balcony rate is $50 less than my original DD OV. I upgraded to a BA of my choice, but if I had waited 3 weeks, I could've got the BA for no additional $, instead of giving NCL $300 more.

Live and learn. I think you should wait. I really wish I hadn't been so impulsive. (Oh, we're 5 weeks before sailing right now). Good luck! It's all a game. Yesterday every balcony/suite cabin was GTY only. Today there are muliple choices in each category.

I think I will take the advice to wait and see until after the total is due. I noted that one cruise date in June has balconies CHEAPER than staterooms. How can that be? I will just gamble that I can work my own upsell.

This happened to me yesterday for my June 7th cruise which I originally booked only a week ago. The balcony was cheaper than oceanview when I checked my TA's website. I ended going from an inside cabin to AF minisuite for more money. Last week when I booked the AF suite was too pricey for us.

Yesterday we got a great deal for out 11 day transatlantic this coming Friday....

From inside room to balcony gty for $407 total, for 2 of us.

We called just an hour before, and it was $800 total.

I'm willing to take the chance on a gty.

My advice would be to keep checking... and often!!

Archived