What to do in Progresso

leedixie

May 2nd sailing on the Fantasy. Would love to know what others have done in Progresso besides hate it. We don't really want to take a two hour bus ride anywhere, but just looking to relax and have fun. Have booked Isle of Pasion by Twister boat in Cozumel. Anyone taken that excursion? Appreciate any responses.

May 2nd sailing on the Fantasy. Would love to know what others have done in Progresso besides hate it. We don't really want to take a two hour bus ride anywhere, but just looking to relax and have fun. Have booked Isle of Pasion by Twister boat in Cozumel. Anyone taken that excursion? Appreciate any responses.

The only thing I did with my grandchildren was ride the double decker bus. I saw a lot of people on the beach but I can't tell you if it was a good experience or not. It was very hot the day we were there last week.

If you're tired of Progreso, try something in Merida, or book a private excursion to one of the ruins. I understand the Yuctan has lots of ruins.

There are several travel sites you can research for trips to the Yucatan. They can recommend a variety of non-ruin trips.

Okay, so I've been to Progresso twice. And I would go back in a heartbeat. This last time I went as a solo cruiser. Personally, I like it because it is SO different from my personal world. Yes, it is looks "dirty and poor', but you have to look past that. I think sometimes I forget that not everyone is as fortunate as I am, though I by no means have a lot of money. I just budget very well in order to get the most from my pennies.

Things are improving for the people since it became a cruise port, but it isn't "glitzy" like other ports. It still has that "authentic" feel. Though, it has lost some of it this time I went. The last time I was there it had just become a cruise port destination. I have found that overall, the people there are proud of their culture and would love to tell you about it if you are open and receptive.

Get off the "main tourist street" and do some shopping. You will find some delightful people. I picked up some great local pottery at some "hole in the wall" place. It is really beautiful, but what was better was talking to the potter and learning about the process he went through to make the very unique piece I bought.

Take the city bus tour -- only $2.00 (note: by our standards in the US it is pretty cheesy, but they are VERY proud to tell you about their history, city and what they have to offer) in order to find the place I'm going to tell you about.

There is an American fellow that has opened up a restaurant recently. Can't remember the name of his place so that is why I said take the "city tour", but it is white outside and is RIGHT across from the beach area. It was the first place we stopped at.

Anyway, he has an area across from his restaurant where you can hang out on the beach in the loungers (nice, new ones) buy some drinks and then get some different kinds of food items included for free because you bought drinks. The drinks were very inexpensive. The people at my dinner table decided to take him up on his spiel after the bus ride and spent 10 bucks per person on drinks and had SEVERAL. He also offers FREE tequila shots (as much as you can down). He also has two people giving "beach" massages. Cost is $15 for an HOUR! Best part....he has very, very CLEAN restrooms at his place. Several people at my table ended up eating lunch at his restaurant and said the food was great, but the drinks were BETTER.

Oh, and some had kids with them, and they enjoyed swimming in the water, eating the never ending snacks. Overall, everyone who went there had a good time.

If you need to check e-mail, there is a place right across from where the buses drop you off in the city that offers Internet for $1 an hour.

If your looking for things like pure Vanilla, Progreso is the place to pick it up. It is much cheaper than in Cozumel. Don't buy it in the "market" right where the buses let you off. Head down the street a few blocks and go to one of the local grocery stores. You can purchase a large bottle of 100% pure vanilla for $1.50.

Give Progreso a chance. It really can be a great port of call.

I've been twice: the first time, 4 years ago; last time 2 weeks ago. Pretty much what Cruiser@Heart posted was my experience also. We did the $2 bus tour jsut to get an idea about the town, then just hung around the beach area. It is a goodplace to pick up vanilla and such, but off the beaten path, I would have pesos. I did ride the banana boat this time. And, I wish I'd picked up a hammock.

Last October we where there and did the buggy beach break. I believe that was the name of it, we booked it with Carnival which is something we don't usually do. But this time I was glad we did. It was probably one of the best excursions we've been on. Our guide was a young lady named Wendy, She made things very entertaining. It's not a cheap excursion but it is a lot of fun.

Head over to the Progresso port of call board. You have some recent reviews of the beach area and resturants.

Also, go to the roll call for the Fantasy May 2,009. I'm on your sailing and hope to have nice group for a meet and greet!!

Happy sailing!!

I"ve cruised down to Progresso twice, and loved it both times.

First time we did the Dizbaultuin (sp?) ruins tour, and we had a great time. It's only a 30 min bus ride, nice ruins and a great Ceynote to swim in.

Second time we decided to tour the city and actually get a feel for the town. So 6 of us did the double decker bus tour, and straw market. The bus tour (yeah it's cheesy, but showed us all the shops and restaurants we wanted to make our way to) was well worth it, and we enjoyed the local architecture and buildings.

We also headed to the "American's" restaurant (forget the name, but you won't miss it). The drinks were two for one, and free snacks. Bathrooms were clean and food and drink delicious. The tables out on the beach were gorgeous.

Then we just walked hand in hand down the beach, turned down a massage (my biggest regret), bought a cute mexicanish dress to wear to dinner, and spied on my grown sons who at the....

Corona Beach break excursion! I only walked by, snapped a few pictures of them playing volleyball, and didn't linger. However, as they boarded the ship that evening they all three were like...

"This is the best fricken day of my whole life!!!" Now you have to know all three have vacationed ALOT, America, Europe, several Carribean islands....and they LOVED the stop in Progresso,

The mother daughter duo with us, did a horseback excursion and also had a good time.

Progresso is GREAT as long as you aren't expecting a commercial place like Cozumel...it's a wonderful addition to a vacation. Of course I'm a beach person...hard to beat sitting on a sandy beach, under palm tree, beautiful weather, sipping favorite drink and chatting with people I love.

We also headed to the "American's" restaurant (forget the name, but you won't miss it). The drinks were two for one, and free snacks. Bathrooms were clean and food and drink delicious.

I think everyone is referring to Buddy's. We were there in February and the food was great. The 2-for-1 Margaritas were strong and inexpensive. You can also get a massage right there on the beach too.

775099-R1-020-8A_009.jpg

The beach is nice, but not as pretty as Coz. This is standing on the beach looking at the pier and our ship.

775099-R1-026-11A_012.jpg

Enjoy your cruise!

775099-R1-020-8A_009.jpg

If it is the place that I am thinking of, the name is Los Arcos. I looked them up when we got home and they are all over the place. We have one in Tomball. Very good drinks and excellent prices. As others have said, the bathrooms were very clean, kinda of small though. We did the Double Decker also so we could see the town. When we returned from the tour, we made our way down to the beach area and went to Los Arcos to have a drink. After we finished, we walked along the beach area back towards the place where we could get the bus back to the ship. The thing that impressed me was the fact that you could tell someone "NO" and they went on their way. I didn't know what to expect, but, I was peasantly surprised.

I hope I got these posted. This is the one that we went to. The guy that came out and talked to us had on a Dallas Cowboy t-shirt and teased us because we had on Nashville caps. I guess he assumed we were from Nashville and we never got the chance to tell him we were actually from Spring.

DSCN1191.jpg.b393f69197e73034c182b442e09832c8.jpg

DSCN1190.jpg.0b7637dbb55a45af50753c5377618669.jpg

Ok, I know you said you dont want a two hour bus ride, but you really should do a little research and concider the Chitzen Itza tour. This archeological site is amazing. Recently named one of the new seven wonders of the world. very few places can you get so up close and personal with ancient history. With a little research before hand so you know what your looking at a little better makes it an even more amazing experience. You can drink on a beach at most ports but you cant tour the capital of a past civilization just anywhere.

Hey we are on the same cruise with you, woo hoo!!

We have been to Progresso twice before and are spoiled by stops like Cozumel. But...we were going to do the Dzibuchaltan (spelling) tour. I do not like the way the natives take care of their automobiles. In Cozumel, we are most likely going to snorkel at the park.

We are on the same cruise as you. We have been to Progresso twice before. Not real impressed but it is okay. Make sure you have some toilet paper with you, they dont keep it in their bathrooms. I had a woman try to charge me 1.00 for about six sheets. We are planning on going to Dzibuchaltun (spelling) while we are there. At cozumel, we always go to the park. Hope to see you there

We did Passion Island by Twister last July and LOVED IT. The boat ride was fun and the beach was awesome. Would recommend it hightly!

We were in Progresso in summer 07 and did a Jeep/beach break tour. It we really cool as we went to a small village/ some ruins and saw a 300 year old church.

We are looking at going on the Fantasy in August so we will be going to these places as well.

Have fun on your cruise.

My DH and I will be on this cruise, too. I want so badly to go to the Dzibulchaltun ruins, but my DH is confined to a power wheelchair and I don't know if there will be a way for him to get there or if he will be able to see any of the ruins if we do find a way there. Do any of you that have been there have any idea???

• 2 weeks later...
I hope I got these posted. This is the one that we went to. The guy that came out and talked to us had on a Dallas Cowboy t-shirt and teased us because we had on Nashville caps. I guess he assumed we were from Nashville and we never got the chance to tell him we were actually from Spring.

This is where I spent the day as well...On the beach across from the restaurant....Great food. I also took a pic of the sign so I wouldn't forget it for next time! :)

nola060.jpg

If it is the place that I am thinking of, the name is Los Arcos. I looked them up when we got home and they are all over the place. We have one in Tomball. Very good drinks and excellent prices. As others have said, the bathrooms were very clean, kinda of small though. We did the Double Decker also so we could see the town. When we returned from the tour, we made our way down to the beach area and went to Los Arcos to have a drink. After we finished, we walked along the beach area back towards the place where we could get the bus back to the ship. The thing that impressed me was the fact that you could tell someone "NO" and they went on their way. I didn't know what to expect, but, I was peasantly surprised.

Los Arcos is where I was too...in PIC above....Loved it!

Archived