Ruby - embarkation & disembarkation times?

Hi everyone,

I am new to the Princess boards, but not new to cruising. Very excited as we just booked on the Ruby Princess for a short getaway without the kids. Have a lot of questions, but have been able to find most answers here :)

One thing I haven't come across yet...how does embarkation & disembarkation work? We would like to board as early as possible as we would like to possibly book the Sanctuary - what time should we plan on getting to the port? What time are the stateooms typically ready?

Also, what time can we expect to disembark and get to the airport (FLL)? If we book transfers to the airport through Princess, is it a smooth process? Just thinking ahead to booking flights home.

Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thank you :)

Hi everyone,

I am new to the Princess boards, but not new to cruising. Very excited as we just booked on the Ruby Princess for a short getaway without the kids. Have a lot of questions, but have been able to find most answers here :)

One thing I haven't come across yet...how does embarkation & disembarkation work? We would like to board as early as possible as we would like to possibly book the Sanctuary - what time should we plan on getting to the port? What time are the stateooms typically ready?

Also, what time can we expect to disembark and get to the airport (FLL)? If we book transfers to the airport through Princess, is it a smooth process? Just thinking ahead to booking flights home.

Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thank you :)

Boarding time in FLL is right around Noon.

Disembarkation begins around 7:30.

I would take a cab, its only approx $15.

You can see the ship from the terminal.

Transfers will have you waiting for the transfer time and until the bus fills.

Disembarkation begins around 7:30.

In general, I would not book a flight out of FLL before 11 AM. Although you could (and many will post that they have) made earlier flights, there are times that any of the following have happened:

a) Customs is slow to clear the ship and even slower to clear passengers.

b) Multiple ships in port that day can mean a shortage of cabs.

c) Extremely long lines at FLL for check-in and security

You could send up spending more time at the airport than you want wating for your flight, but that is better than the stress you will have if a,c, and or c occur.

In general, I would not book a flight out of FLL before 11 AM. Although you could (and many will post that they have) made earlier flights, there are times that any of the following have happened:

a) Customs is slow to clear the ship and even slower to clear passengers.

b) Multiple ships in port that day can mean a shortage of cabs.

c) Extremely long lines at FLL for check-in and security

You could send up spending more time at the airport than you want wating for your flight, but that is better than the stress you will have if a,c, and or c occur.

Are you telling me or the OP?

On our recent Ruby cruise we got to the port around 10:45 and were onboard by 11:45. You can go right to your cabin to drop off your carry on.

Dining room is open last morning....we were there at 7am.

Thanks for your replies! I think we'll plan on taking a cab back to the airport and we won't book a morning flight - sounds like a less stressful way to end vacation! What are the choices for breakfast on the last morning? Is there a dining room open or just the buffet? Room service?

On debarkaionday, both the dining room and the buffet are open, but they will close earlier than on other days. There will be no room service that morning.

Hi FritzG...was just looking at a post on the Ruby Princess Apr.11-18 board posting and someone posted that the captain announced they were having engine trouble..so unless they fix it at the next port it may make their return to FLL later and our boarding later a possibility. We will have to wait and see.

Anita

I was just on Ruby last week and we weren't able to board until after noon because of a late disembark by the previous week's passengers. We had to sit in a huge room with everyone else for over an hour---not fun! You aren't allowed to use your phones or cameras while you wait, so it can be tedious if you get there too early.

If you want the Sanctuary, book it early! It booked up very quickly during our cruise.

Archived