Cabin recommendation for Alaska - help!!

2VaCruzers

We are used to sailing in aft cabins and are planning on an Alaskan cruise (southbound) in June, 2010. Could anyone offer some suggestions as to whether an aft, starboard or port cabin would be best for viewing and picture taking?

Who are you sailing on, and itinerary??? If you can get a corner aft, those would be the absolute best in my opinion. If sailing Glacier Bay, then port aft, IF you don't want to leave your cabin, but do realize you will see much more if you do. :) Aft, isn't the "place to be" for wildlife , which is ALWAYs superior tracking from ahead. Be certain to bring along a good pair of wide angle binoculars, "necessary" in my opinion. :)

Who are you sailing on, and itinerary??? If you can get a corner aft, those would be the absolute best in my opinion. If sailing Glacier Bay, then port aft, IF you don't want to leave your cabin, but do realize you will see much more if you do. :) Aft, isn't the "place to be" for wildlife , which is ALWAYs superior tracking from ahead. Be certain to bring along a good pair of wide angle binoculars, "necessary" in my opinion. :)

Ooops, sorry, I forgot to mention that we will be on Radiance of the Sea. We have 9625 booked which is a corner aft (D1). We were hoping to maybe get a junior suite (just sailed in our first one and loved them).

Ooops, sorry, I forgot to mention that we will be on Radiance of the Sea. We have 9625 booked which is a corner aft (D1). We were hoping to maybe get a junior suite (just sailed in our first one and loved them).

Sounds like a great choice. BUT with RCI, I definately recommend you head out of your cabin at Hubbard, the best views are forward and frankly, also best to follow the turn around. Certainly it may be of little interest to you. I am only giving general information for the most advantagous viewing.

Sounds like a great choice. BUT with RCI, I definately recommend you head out of your cabin at Hubbard, the best views are forward and frankly, also best to follow the turn around. Certainly it may be of little interest to you. I am only giving general information for the most advantagous viewing.

Thanks for your input, Budget Queen. I'm interested in getting any and all information on the best way to see as much as I can, whether it be on deck or on our balcony.:D

Budget Queen, you sound like you know your Alaskan cruises.....hope you or anyone else out there can help me choose a cabin,too. Well for when the schedule finally comes out with Princess. As of now we are planning to sail on the Sapphire or Golden Princess, round trip out of Seattle. (I assume its the Sapphire that will NOW be sailing out of Seattle, thanks for that info from fellow CC posters) Anyway, we were thinking of doing an Aft.....but it appears Princess is VERY limited to their aft cabins.....unless they are suites or mini suites, etc. So I was hoping to hold off before booking, until they have a great sale, which by then I assume the afts will be gone. UNLESS you think an aft cabin is the way to go on this sailing and to book it, as soon as the schedule comes out. If the schedule remains the same as this year, it looks like the itinary is RT Seattle - Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, Ketchikan and Victora. Please be sure to let me know Port or Starboard. Thanks so much!!

Budget Queen, you sound like you know your Alaskan cruises.....hope you or anyone else out there can help me choose a cabin,too. Well for when the schedule finally comes out with Princess. As of now we are planning to sail on the Sapphire or Golden Princess, round trip out of Seattle. (I assume its the Sapphire that will NOW be sailing out of Seattle, thanks for that info from fellow CC posters) Anyway, we were thinking of doing an Aft.....but it appears Princess is VERY limited to their aft cabins.....unless they are suites or mini suites, etc. So I was hoping to hold off before booking, until they have a great sale, which by then I assume the afts will be gone. UNLESS you think an aft cabin is the way to go on this sailing and to book it, as soon as the schedule comes out. If the schedule remains the same as this year, it looks like the itinary is RT Seattle - Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, Ketchikan and Victora. Please be sure to let me know Port or Starboard. Thanks so much!!

You do realize you are choosing the least scenic itinerary?? You have 2 days of open ocean sailing compared to scenic sailing you get on Vancouver itineraries. IF glacier viewing is a priority, again the wrong choice and you needing to book some kind of glacier tour, since you are very unlikely to see any from your cruise ship.

People love aft cabins, if important, you may just want to book it. Don't expect the deep discounts next year. There will be far less supply with several cruiselines pulling out ships. Thousands less passengers per week.

RT Seattle - Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, Ketchikan and Victora. Please be sure to let me know Port or Starboard. Thanks so much!!

Do you have priorities of what you want to see in Alaska? As BQ stated, if you have any great interest in glaciers, this intinerary is lacking. Hopefully you have done your research and this is, indeed, what you want? I am guessing this itinerary is more reasonably priced. If so, there is a reason for that. It is not taking you to the most desirable glacier areas.

Do you have priorities of what you want to see in Alaska? As BQ stated, if you have any great interest in glaciers, this intinerary is lacking. Hopefully you have done your research and this is, indeed, what you want? I am guessing this itinerary is more reasonably priced. If so, there is a reason for that. It is not taking you to the most desirable glacier areas.

Princess's one-ways that go to two glaciers have even lower prices than the Princess roundtrips from Seattle. The same is true of HAL's ships, with the one-ways having lower prices than the roundtrips.

Princess's one-ways that go to two glaciers have even lower prices than the Princess roundtrips from Seattle. The same is true of HAL's ships, with the one-ways having lower prices than the roundtrips.

The trouble with oneways is the outrageous airfare.

Dont worry. You will get PLENTY of scenery on the Seattle roundtrip.

You can save the glaciers for the next cruise.

The trouble with oneways is the outrageous airfare.

And I think that's why several cruise lines are either pulling a ship from Alaska in 2010 (RCI, Princess) or changing from a one-way to a Seattle roundtrip (HAL, Princess, Carnival).

Are Alaskan cruises booking already for 2010? Is it better to book early or wait for deals? We're looking for a round trip from Vancouver? Do you choose a cruise based on the itinerary or the ship?

Sorry I can't answer your question about location on the ship, but I'm enjoying the answers.

Thanks

Are Alaskan cruises booking already for 2010? Is it better to book early or wait for deals? We're looking for a round trip from Vancouver? Do you choose a cruise based on the itinerary or the ship?

All of the mass market cruise lines are booking for Alaska in 2010 except Princess. There are fewer ships sailing roundtrip from Vancouver in 2010, so I wouldn't expect the same great bargains next year.

I usually choose the itinerary first and then the ship. For my 3rd Alaska cruise next month, I booked it based on price and ease of travel.

Are Alaskan cruises booking already for 2010? Is it better to book early or wait for deals? We're looking for a round trip from Vancouver? Do you choose a cruise based on the itinerary or the ship? Thanks

Some choose their cruises based on the ship, many others choose for the itinerary. Some choose because that is what their TA suggested. ;) Before you choose, read all you can, so you can learn what you want to see in Alaska. Not all cruises are created equal.

I wouldn't think of booking for Alaska based on ship. We went in mid-June with long daylight hours. We never used the ships' amenities as we were always out on deck or in the Crown's nest lounge with its panoramic viewing. I went to Alaska to see Alaska, so I was not about to be in a theatre or other venue with no windows. I saw all I could. It was magnificent!!!

Those that book early, generally want a particular cabin or location on the ship. If you book early, and prices go down, you contact your TA for the price reduction. We got two price reductions in 2008. I have read of multiple price reductions this year. Most cruiselines will adjust prices up until final payment is due.

Thanks for the responses....as far as why we are planning RT Seattle, it's because when I started researching, the airfare prices, at that time, was $300-$400 difference, per person.......I'm choosing Princess because we have never sailed her and wanted to try her out. I am still in the process of researching and haven't made any definite decisions but from what I have read on some of them reviews of those who traveled RT from Seattle, they say the scenery is still spectacular......seeing we have never been to Alaska, I guess we wouldn't really know what we were missing, but I was hoping to see some glaciers, doesn't the Tracy Fjord have glaciers to see???

The cruise that we booked on Radiance of the Sea includes:

Ports of Call: Seward, Alaska; Hubbard Glacier (Cruising); Juneau, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Icy Strait Point, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska; Vancouver, British Columbia

Is that a fairly good itinerary?

The cruise that we booked on Radiance of the Sea includes:

Ports of Call: Seward, Alaska; Hubbard Glacier (Cruising); Juneau, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Icy Strait Point, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska; Vancouver, British Columbia

Is that a fairly good itinerary?

That is a very nice itinerary in my opinion.

Thanks for the responses....as far as why we are planning RT Seattle, it's because when I started researching, the airfare prices, at that time, was $300-$400 difference, per person.......I'm choosing Princess because we have never sailed her and wanted to try her out. I am still in the process of researching and haven't made any definite decisions but from what I have read on some of them reviews of those who traveled RT from Seattle, they say the scenery is still spectacular......seeing we have never been to Alaska, I guess we wouldn't really know what we were missing, but I was hoping to see some glaciers, doesn't the Tracy Fjord have glaciers to see???

Definately the scenery on round trip Seattle cruises is NOT spectacular. It is grossly superior sailing Vancouver. As already mentioned you have 2 open ocean sea days, NOT "land scenery".

Sorry, wrong also about Tracy Arm, less than 25 % of the ships make the full transit for glacier viewing. AND that view can be lacking if they don't have the time. IF glaciers are a priority, then book another cruise with either Glacier bay or Hubbard, OR some type of glacier tour, Mendenhall, doesn't really cut it, either on the glacier "scale". Certainly OK, but many others far more impressive,

It is simple to get between Seattle and Vancouver. With an extra day, cruiseship transfers may be available, there is an independent bus, one way rental cars, and Amtrak.

OK, so now I'm really confused and DISAPPOINTED. I was really looking forward to sailing Princess from Seattle......I will recheck the airfare for the other cruises....but if it is still too expensive, what about NCL Pearl, they have an itinerary that consists of Inside Passage, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria?

OK, so now I'm really confused and DISAPPOINTED. I was really looking forward to sailing Princess from Seattle......I will recheck the airfare for the other cruises....but if it is still too expensive, what about NCL Pearl, they have an itinerary that consists of Inside Passage, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria?

Glacier Bay is far superior for glaciers compared to Tracy Arm. HAL also has superior itineraries compared to Princess on round trip Seattle cruises.

For a first-time visit to Alaska, I would choose an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay (as the Pearl does) or Hubbard Glacier. I haven't cruised with NCL, but have cruised with Princess and HAL in Alaska. HAL would be my choice for the best itineraries out of Seattle.

I am looking forward to my first roundtrip cruise from Seattle on the Golden Princess, as well as cruising Tracy Arm Fjord - even if we never get to see the Sawyer glaciers. However, I have already cruised to Glacier Bay, College Fjord, and Hubbard Glacier (although we didn't see it very well from far away in the fog).

Thanks again, everyone!! As usual, you guys on CC are a GREAT HELP!! I didn't think of HAL! Did a quick search and they may be the way to go! Oh, NancyIL, unfortunately, we do not have two weeks to spend in Alaska.....wish we did!

Well got lots of researching to do on HAL, never been on them.....I'm sure I will have LOTS of questions as I go along!! Thanks again to all of you! I'm glad you steered me in the right direction!!!

Archived