Cabin advice - Inside Passage on Zuiderdam

papergypsy

This is the most amazing site, and I am hoping that some of you can provide information. We are taking our first cruise EVER in June - the Inside Passage on Zuiderdam (Vista class ship). We are celebrating our daughter's graduation from HS, and wanted this to be a special event. We figured the only way we could put 3 in a cabin was to spring for at least a Superior Veranda Suite (you know, the suite that is not really considered to be a suite), so we did.

We have a starboard SS on the navigation deck, just aft of the glass elevators. Is there anyhting we need to be wary of? Will there be a ton of noise since we are just below the Lido deck? I didn't think it would be too big a hassle since all of the SS cabins are on that deck.

We tried to get as close to midship as possible since I heard it is better to be there if you get seasick - absolutely NO CLUE as to whether ANY of us will be expeiencing this.

Also, we decided to book so late that we were assigned the 8:00 meal seating in the upper dining room. Is this good, bad or indifferent. We know about the anywhere/anytime you want to eat option, but our TA advises that we go the dining room route if we want to be totally taken care of.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've done both the As You Wish and Fixed dining. I happen to like the late fixed seating because the staff really get to know you and your preferences during the cruise. The only downside I found, was that I like to have a drink before dinner and often times you had to go to the early show and then directly to dinner. If you like the idea of more personalized service, go with fixed. That's my 2 cents.

We'll be on Zuiderdam for the Inside Passage in 5/2010!

If you are aft of the glass elevators you should be under the dining room portion of the Lido. That should be fairly quiet. The area is carpeted, and doesn't have the dragging of deck chairs that is the usually cited problem with cabins under the Lido.

You have main, fixed seating for dinner. It would be my choice, but not everyone wants that. The open seating component of As You Wish dining is also in the dining room, so I'm not sure what your TA means, but you would not have the same staff every night. Some folks are fine with that, others like stewards learning their preferences.

You are taking a spectacular cruise for your first one. Good choice!

Have a great time in The Great Land.

Hi papergypsy.

Our first cruise was same one you are taking. We to sailed the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver, in a Superior Veranda suite( think fairly good size hotel room). Also like you on the starboard side( very happy with that choice) We were mid ship as well ( use those glass elevators we felt we practically had them to ourselves)

Motion was not a problem at all ( I don't think the Inside Passage is particularly known for rough seas, perhaps others would know better.)

Wait till you walk that promenade deck for the first time( think all those movies you;ve seen , it's just like that) Stop and view the wonderful wake,there's nothing like it.

You will see lots of wild life ,we spotted a pair of orcas one evening just before dinner. Watch for sea birds clustering above the water ,usually means something interesting below.

The scenery is beyond anything you can imagine. The air is fresh and clear. You will be in awe of the majesty you'll see( beautiful and breathtaking get used a lot:))

We had super weather ,I wish the same for you.

Alaska is a wonderful introduction to cruising , you are going to be sooooo hooked.:)

Have a fabulous vacation. Congratulations to the new grad !

H:)ppy Sailing !

Motion was not a problem at all ( I don't think the Inside Passage is particularly known for rough seas, perhaps others would know better.)

It can and sometimes DOES get rough. We had about 24 hrs in the area of Ketchikan that were noteworthy.

Please, please, please, consider 7151 on the stern, or the the identical cabin on the port side. These are suites with tremendous sized balconies that offer fantastic views!;)[/quote]

With out a doubt , a corner aft suite..... best seat in the house .:)

Like Susan Boyle, 'I have a dream'( to sail in one)

cmdchiefthom and colleyberry,

Again, great info from those in the know. Unfortunately, 7151 is a Deluxe Veranda Suite (SB) and there aren't enough bucks right now for that. But will remember your info for next time (which I am sure there will be, because we tend to do repeat vacations if we love the spot - can you say 9 consecutive Spring Breaks at Yosemite?)

Don't know budget but the SCs are really good and they have really had some good deals lately...we are going to Alaska and have booked SC on deck 5 on Zuiderdam...our thinking is that in case it rains we will have a cover (would book different deck if in carribean.) However that being said, this last November we did had SB (had been upgraded from SC) forthe partial panama canal (half moon key, Aruba, Curacauo, panama canal, costa rica) and it rained almost everyday...at least the side was covered... but you can't beat the views off the AFT...DB

Archived