Princess Saphire or Carnival Spirit

arcone

Price is the same not concern about the port strictly looking at the ship as the destination Which would you book if you would please tell me why.

Carnival Spirit or Princess Saphire We are still at the lower level for multi sailing on each cruise line

Price is the same not concern about the port strictly looking at the ship as the destination Which would you book if you would please tell me why.

Carnival Spirit or Princess Saphire We are still at the lower level for multi sailing on each cruise line

I promise my DH that I would give him the gift of a cruise. Since both are the same price and after reviewing ports with him. DH either would be fine with him and since it is my gift to him that whatever I choose will be ok with him.

Hopefully with some insight from cruise critic posters it will assist me in my decision.

Carnival ships generally has a party atmosphere, more young adults, more alcohol and more lively. Princess ships are more family oriented, age of cruiser tend to be older, more relaxed and classy.

If on board dining experience and food quality are important to you, Princess has Carnival beat by a mile. Definitely try Princess's specialty restaurant. I wasn't too impressive with Carnival's. Make sure to make reservation as soon as you get on board.

On board entertainment seems to be equal, although after a few cruises, Carnival's seems to be repetitive.

Services are excellent from both lines.

You will enjoy more if you can match the cruise experience with your personality.

Hope this helps

e4adc08950e3f30f55d80ad55f1c7b78.png

Haven't been on the Spirit (only the Freedom and Liberty with Carnival). We have a pretty strong preference for Princess over any of the other cruise lines we have sailed. Have been on both the Diamond and the Sapphire (sister ships). Love them both. Not sure of the reason for a cruise as a gift, but I think there are a number of dining options that Princess offers that could make for a more romantic/memorable cruise.

• Choice of traditional or anytime dining. Princess has been offering this for at least 7-8 years, longer than any of the other cruise lines that are just starting to experiment with it. Carnival is just starting to do this, but I don't know if they have it on the Spirit. Anytime dining allows you to go to the dining room when you want (rather than at an assigned time and table). You could elect to dine at a table for 2 any night you choose.
  • Chef's Table. A great and unique dining experience that only Princess offers.
  • Ultimate Balcony Dining (if you have a balcony). Cocktail, hor d'ourves, champagne, dinner, desert, flowers and a photo served in courses to you on your balcony. A great, unique and romantic dining experience.

The Sapphire also has fresh water pools (as do all Princess ships), and one of them has a retractable roof for inclement weather.

If you are looking for things to make it a more romantic/memorable cruise, I would go with Princess and take advantage of some of the special things they offer (although at a price).

Are you going to Alaska? You didn't say.. We cruise Carnival and Princes but IMHO Princess has far superior onboard programs etc in Alaska and itinerary. We did Sapphire in '07 and loved it.. the naturalists are great esp. the day in Glacier Bay. Also Alaska is more a destination than "the ship" for me (same in Europe) so I'd give the edge to Princess on that one as well.. and the Anytime Dining is great on an itinerary with less "traditional" port times.

If are aren't doing Alaska I'd still say Princess but only because I love the nightlife on the Sapphire/Diamond ships.. DH and I like to dance, see late night comedians etc. and Club Fusion and Explorer's are great venues in the evening for that.

Archived