Question for Solo Cruisers

I'm contemplating booking a cruise for this Friday on the Monarch of the Seas. My baby nephew passed away on Easter and it's been an incredibly difficult week grieving for him, taking care of my niece, and trying to support my brother and sister-in-law. With that in mind, I'm thinking about going on the cruise by myself as I just want a long weekend by myself to unwind and decompress.

I was curious if there are many solo cruisers on this board and if you generally have a good time on the high seas by yourself. Does the cruiseline tend to seat solo cruisers together at dinner? Do you feel safe at ports by yourself? I'm a pretty independent person by nature but I've never cruised without my fiance' before.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated as I'm thinking about making a decision tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

I haven't done it but if I had the vacation time and the money, AND if the single supplement wasn't horrendous, AND I couldn't find anyone to go with, I'd do it in a heartbeat. You always meet great people onboard.

I can't imagine they seat solo cruisers together though. I think it's the luck of the table draw (make sure you request a table for 10, of course). If they see a table for 10 with 9 people, maybe that's where you'd sit.

I say do it. It's a short cruise. The only time I would see it being tough is after dinner. So you'll have to be EXTRA chatty with the strangers. :)

(And sorry about your nephew.)

Have a great time.

I occasionally sail solo. I love it and if I could sail that way each time I would.

I find that the staff tends to do a great job of taking care of solos, making sure that you are having a good time and are safe.

No, they don't always sit solos together but I've always gotten great tablemates. I prefer larger tables when I'm sailing solo.

I've sailed solo before and was also apprehensive for the same reasons you listed.. I need not have feared anything and had a great time.

One tip, is to visit the Maitre'd on embarkation day and see if he can seat you with other singles or couples in your age range. I did this and was glad, as my original table assignment had be with families. The Maitre'd was able to look in the computer and search for people my age and it worked out great-- got seated at a table of 8 with 2 couples and 2 singles my age.

The nice thing about a cruise is it's so easy to meet people at the bars/lounges so you won't be alone unless you want to be.

I'm contemplating booking a cruise for this Friday on the Monarch of the Seas. My baby nephew passed away on Easter and it's been an incredibly difficult week grieving for him, taking care of my niece, and trying to support my brother and sister-in-law. With that in mind, I'm thinking about going on the cruise by myself as I just want a long weekend by myself to unwind and decompress.

I was curious if there are many solo cruisers on this board and if you generally have a good time on the high seas by yourself. Does the cruiseline tend to seat solo cruisers together at dinner? Do you feel safe at ports by yourself? I'm a pretty independent person by nature but I've never cruised without my fiance' before.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated as I'm thinking about making a decision tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

My first (ok and only cruise so far) was on the Monarch as a solo. I love it. I was at a table for 6 and there were 2 couples and me and another single girl. I had a fabulous time!!!!!! I am pretty independent however a bit nervous so I did all my shore excursions thru the ship and felt very safe. I think you should do it and let somebody else take care of you for a moment!! It will make the world of difference!

Laura,

Me and my partner met a lady travelling solo last year and we befriended her, She opted for casual dining but had lots of offers from us and others to join them :)

I think if you like me a peoples person you'll be just fine:)

Glad you booked and I hope you have a lovely holiday.

Sorry to hear about your baby nephew our thoughts are with you.

I am so sorry for your loss. You'll be fine on the cruise, Laura. I was in a similar situation in November, needed to get away after my best friend of 37 years passed unexpectedly. While it did not mend my heart, it helped me to unwind and get some much-needed sleep. I had terrific tablemates, two married couples and two very nice gentlemen travelling together - I was the only solo and they all looked out for me. Take a good book, ipod, workout clothes - whatever you enjoy and spend the time on yourself. Maybe a trip to the spa! Also, check out the solo board in the "special interest" section, you might see some ideas of new things to do. Get on your roll call, too!

Have a great cruise and report back when you return!

Liz

I did it last year on the Majesty and it was great. I thought it would feel awkward, but nor for one minute. It was great pleasing myself all the time as to when I got up/went to bed/ate/shopped whatever.. the only odd thing was, I asked for a large table at dinner to have some companions- well I got one, but I was the only person on a table for 10. I felt like there was a spotlight shining on me! :D

Maybe I should have gone to the Maitre 'd but I didn't think about it beforehand....

I went to the Windjammer after that, took my book, read while I was eating- yeah!

Join a Trivia Team on your first day, doesn't matter if you play well, you will see some familiar faces every day then and have fun.

Archived