Victory Review 3/22/09 With Pics

tiggerman101

Thank you for a well written and thorough review! By far, the best I have read. I appreciate all of the effort you put into it. I am sailing on the Victory on May 24th - staying at the Intercontenential the night before. Glad you thought so highly of it. Your pictures are truly fabulous - could have been professional photos.

For others reading this reivew - if you're sailing on the 24th please join our roll call. The poker crawl sounds like a fun idea - never done one of those before. . . .:rolleyes:

Tiggerman, thanks again for the wonderful review! I am so looking forward to our trip in December. Only difference is, our itinerary does not go to St. Lucia, it goes to St. Martaan instead. Appears to be the only one that does, but because of scheduling restraints that's the one we had to take. (Yeah, twisted my arm...:D) Any idea why that is, I wonder?

I'm hoping you can answer a question for me about the Jolly Beach Resort.

Is there any place to snorkel there?

I asked this on the Antigua board because I didn't want to bother you, but nobody has answered me.

I'm already sold on the place, but someone from our Roll Call is inquiring.

Thank You again for the great review!

Sorry, I didn't see some of these questions. I can't be positive about the snorkeling near Jolly Beach. I will say that is unlikely on the beach itself. I say this because the water is not clear in the slightest. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but it is unlike anything I have seen. It is a pale blue milky color. In fact, milky is the key word here. I couldn't see my hand 3" below the surface. My guess is that this is due to all the shells in the area. It seems to be that way all the time also. Other pictures I have seen of the beach show the water the same color.

As for groups visiting I have no idea. We had a couple with us that had not called before hand and they had no problem getting in. The resort didn't seem crowded at all. Just google "Jolly Beach Resort" and their website should pop up.

Here's what the stairwell looks like, right close to the elevators...

CV-474.jpg

Ah, the famous killer seahorses! Now I understand. I'll probably come back with black-and-blue marks everywhere those things can reach! :lol:

Still love your pics Aplmac! ===> Thanks!

Which beach in Barbados is best for snorkeling?

Probably Folkestone(just North of Holetown) -once the surf's not running,that day :cool:

During Summer(zero surf), it'll be clear and purty

but the possibility exists during Winter (Oct. to March)

that a big ole North Swell will roll down on Your Day

-when the local surfers all go YeeeHaw -Surf's Up ...but the snorkellers groan!

Yes..Folkestone for good snorkelling, but the beach is not great

in fact rather narrow especially at hi tide.

Your best course of action would be to hit Folkestone first maybe

do the snorkelling

and then get all your stuff together and trek about a half-mile South along the shoreline

to Holetown Beach where you'll see lots of people on a far better,wider beach there

with lotsa watersports like Water Skiing, Parasail,

and Glass Bottom Boat(probably including turtles encounter,but no promises)...

This photo is taken at Folkestone (hi tide?)

Holetown-324.jpg

looking towards the Holetown Beach I suggest you walk to, later.

Not an encouraging picture,I know ..but it's all I can offer you for now.

It'll give you some idea what to expect.

Hope this helps?

Ah, the famous killer seahorses! Now I understand.

I'll probably come back with black-and-blue marks everywhere those things can reach! :lol:

If you think those little things in the picture above are bad

wait til you see this Monster at the (Deck 3) entrance to the Caribbean Show Lounge! :eek:

Lounge-71.jpg

Lookit the size of that thing! :eek:

Of course, I'm only kidding you here... ;)

what you see is exaggerated perspective/distortion

due to the fisheye lens I used.

This seahorse is no larger than the others...about 2 and a half feet tall,no more.

Isn't that the haunted cabin? Just kidding!

Ha ha!!! Don't tell my BF you said that or he will figure a way to scare me when we are there!!

I just am concerned with it's location.

Ha ha!!! Don't tell my BF you said that or he will figure a way to scare me when we are there!!

I just am concerned with it's location.

Your cabin is near the front of the ship, starboard side.

Click on this link, then select your deck (Empress for 7) from the drop down menu.

http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=VI

I loved your review!!!! My group has done the San Juan cruise twice. The first time we went to 4 islands and the second time to 5 islands. I just can't imagine how tired you all were when you got home. I can't wait for your next review!!!!!

Thanks for the great review. Im glad I found this through google. Im planning this trip pretty late so hopefully I can set up some of these tours in time. This will our (my wife and I) first cruise. I have been to St Thomas when I was a teenager and it was heaven. I can't wait. We leave this sunday the 3rd of May.

I don't think I'll put this much free time and effort into such a great review as you did but, if you don't mind, I'll just add on to this thread with our own experience as first time cruisers.

Thanks so much for your thouroughly enjoyable review. It was detailed and informative and just plain fun to read.

We are taking this cruise in October (leaving the 18th), celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, and are now more excited than ever. I had my doubts about the "port intensive" itinerary, but you've helped me feel much better about that.

We are also booked in an aft cabin (Verandah deck)......our first......and I'm really looking forward to that as well.

Thanks again for the awesome review, and hope our paths cross one day.

Karen

Carnival Sensation 2002

Carnival Glory 2004

Archived