1st cruise-Room assignment -HELP Please

icemom

We are leaving in February on Splendour of the Seas. I have hundreds of questions, but my most important is our room location. We have just been confirmed in room 7000. This room is at the very front of the ship.............

:eek:

I am very worried about getting seasick ..Will we feel movement more so in this location vs. somewhere else? I can't read in a car or play video games, etc., because I become sick to my stomach. Also, I have checked the website and the details show nothing in front of our room - could it be a loud laundry area? or something worse?

If anyone has any info at all, we would certainly appreciate your responses - my only reason for not cruising before this is my worry of feeling sick all the time. And I don't want to take meds as I want to be able to enjoy my vacation/cocktails!

Thanks!

Maureen

I haven't been on the Splendour . . . will be in October next year, though. I looked at the location of your room. I don't know what is in front of your door. Maybe just an empty space since it is the end of the hall. I don't recall seeing secret maintainence doors. But, I suppose one could be there.

I've never gotten seasick on board. But, I did feel a little bit 'weird' on the first night on 1 cruise (the Carnival Sensation). I had to get 'use' to the movement of the ship. Lots of people wear the wristbands or patches behind the ear to avoid seasickness. You should probably invest in some, just in case.

I've heard rumors that being in the middle of the ship or low in the ship helps. I can't comfirm it. If you are worried about the location of your room, just change it.

Hi Maureen!

I put off cruising as well because I have motion sickness very badly. The RCCL nurse on my first cruise recommended taking bonine daily. I'm not a big drinker but I do very well taking it and drinking pina coladas, love connections and BBC's!

However, I would change cabins to a location more central to the ship if there are others available in your catagory. Even though you are not in your cabin much as another poster stated you do sleep there. It's not worth the worry if you can change your cabin. Hope you enjoy cruising as much as I do!

Did you book a veranda guarantee? If so you didn't get the luck of the draw.

Check on a site such as travelocity and see if there are any other category D's available for your sailing ( there are 4 sailings in Feb. so I can't do it)

Did you use a TA or RCL directly? Is it a group booking?

If the circumstances are right, sometimes you can change cabins, but in smooth seas that is a great cabin, as you can see where you are going from the veranda. Most of the time ship motion is not a problem.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have so many questions and have been reading this wonderful board for hours!

CruznTom - I'm a bit confused by your posting. To answer your first question, we did book/pay for a balcony (sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology here) and you said we didn't get the luck of the draw and also, you stated if the waters are calm then this is a good room. Please forgive me as we're so new to this, just what do you mean - putting the seasickness concern aside, should I request another room? We booked through a TA. I am just as concerned about a nice view as I am about feeling ok. Thanks - and again, thanks to everyone - any info is appreciated!

Maureen

Sorry - If you put seasickness aside, the cabin will be better than most as you should be able to look across the bow from your veranda (maybe leaning out a bit), but if seasickness is a problem, you would be better off midship.

Most of all - don't worry - You'll be on a cruise and having a great time.

icemom: I assume that you booked a balcony (veranda) guarantee, rather than a specific cabin. You can always have your TA check availability of other (mid-ships) cabins on your sailings. However, if you request a specific cabin, you may have to pay the difference between your original guarantee and the regular choose-your-own-cabin rate. Guarantees are cheaper for a reason: you get the cabins that others don't book. Sometimes you luck out and get a perfect location or (rarely) an upgrade; other times you get locations that aren't that great. It's the luck of the draw and how booked the ship is. DH and I (and family) always book specific cabins because we don't want to take the chance--even though we know a guarantee rate will probably be lower.

If you want to switch, call your TA for availability and price difference, if any. Or you could take a chance and try to upgrade to a higher category at the pier, but there again what's available is what other people didn't book.

Enjoy your cruise no matter what.

beachchick

Honestly, I've never felt a bit of difference in motion on various parts of the ship. These ships are uge and very stable. If you are prone to motion sickness then take a Dramamine Less Drowsy each morning(including the morning before you board.) We had a cabin once near the very front and LOVED it. It was so quiet because there was no foot traffic outside in the hallway. We avoided the running kids and loud talkers after a late night.

For what it's worth, I can't read in a car, can't ride on windy roads without getting car sick, and I have never felt ill during cruising. Hopefully your experience will be similar.:)

CruznTom & others,

Once again, thanks!! I feel better already. We'll leave it as is and I'll continue to read this wonderful board. Less than 2 months to go...our first cruise (my kids have cruised, we haven't). Again, many thanks to you all!

Maureen

I have a bad seasickness problem. I even get sick if I'm floating on a raft in my pool. I also get carsick and can't read in a car. As for cruising, we always book midship, low down deck 3. There is less movement there and I also take bonine and I'm fine. On our second cruise our cabin was up front and yes was I sick. Even with the bonine. So I guess it really depends how sensitive your stomach is. If I were you I would be too nervous being up front since I don't know how my stomach will react.

Majesty of the Seas 3/02

Monarch of the Seas 2/03

Serenade of the Seas 11/03

hi Ice-Mom!! My friend and I cruised in Sept. on the Voyager, and when we received our stateroom assignment RIGHT UP FRONT, I had the very same trepidations as you now have. I got input from these boards, both pro and con, but decided to go ahead and see for myself. (My friend had no preference as to where we were located.) We were confronted by two hurricanes, requiring a change of itinerary, and in spite of this we had no problem until we were on our way northward back to Bayonne, NJ. The sea was banging against the ship, creating a terrible noise, but we were no worse off in our up-front location than many others who cruise often and are very savvy about the "best location" on the ship. We didn't get seasick, but it was hard to sleep because of the noise. Not a huge problem, though. In the past, on a previous cruise (smaller ship) I found Bonine to be magical! These new ships are so huge though, the seasickness problem is much less. We LOVED being able to overlook the observation deck from our room, and we found no inconvenience getting from our room to anyplace we wanted to go. We would choose that stateroom again in a New York Minute!! ML :)

Archived