First timer - balcony and coupon question

newfie351

I am about to book a Seabourn cruise for August and need advise on :

1. the balcony suite on the Spirit - it really isn't a balcony that you can sit on - is it worth it?

2. what is the deal with referral coupons - can I get one and share the benefit. What if I am booking with a travel agent (I am located in Canada).

3. difference between a Seabourn vs. a Silversea cruise.

Thanks

Welcome to the SB Cruise Critic boards....

1) Is it worth it? Well, it depends! It is nice to be able to open the sliding glass doors for some sea air, but no, the balcony ledge isn't for sitting. Keep in mind that from virtually anywhere on board you can get to a deck area in a matter of a minute or two. Also the balcony cabins are slightly higher, on decks 5 & 6. All the basic suites are the same square footage, and lower might be better, depending on the seas and your aversion to the "motion of the ocean". The length of your cruise and itinerary may be a consideration, as well....

2) A referral coupon, when submitted to your TA upon final payment, will give you, and the party referring you, a $400 onboard credit. Quite nice!

3) Can't help you there...others may

Enjoy your cruise...you'll certainly be spoiled!

Paul :D

Hi, some sort of answer to question no 3, I asked the very same one of a fellow cruiser on my first seabourn voyage and was told the following....

' there are hundreds of tiny differences, but none enough to prevent one from not visiting either cruiseline', after questioning several others the only thing that people had commented on was that the majority of silversea staff at the time were itallian, some were less friendly than seabourn crew, but only a minority.

I doubt that seas in the Med in August will be as rough as the Atlantic around Canada so shutting balconies should not be an issue. Having said that, imo it's not worth the extra money on the triplets to get a balcony. Now, the Odyssey, that's a different story depending on itinerary.

Keep in mind-in rough seas the balcony door is taped shut! This happened to us on a cruise to Canada and we never had a chance to open the door once.

Jean

We hit a Force 8 between Casablanca and Portimao just a few days ago and water was seeping in through the closed balcony doors.

That said, at all other times it was really nice to be able to open the sliding doors.

However, we were upgraded to a balcony. Had we paid for it, the cost would have been an extra $4000 and it isn't worth that.

My philosophy is that if you are either claustrophobic or are in a warm, dry climate you might enjoy the balcony(we did on one of our Med trips). But if you are in a humid area like SE Asia or the Caribbean you are less likely to want to open the doors. And last fall, eventhough this was Med cruise, I was glad we did not have a balcony because I had a cocktail party in our suite and with 6 of us it was nice to be able to thrown some blankets on the window seat and use it as extra seating.

We were in a "balcony" cabin on the recent Shanghi to Singapore cruise.

We were in this cabin because there were no other cabins available. On our previous Seabourn cruises we had "A" type suites which were perfectly fine.

The additional expense, which is significant, for a "B" type is not worth the expense.

The nicest and most luxurious suites actually are on Deck 4 ~~suites #127 and #129 ~~the mirrored wall opens up making it one huge suite. (no balconies, however) Watching the carpenter open up the wall was so very interesting ~~

My friend, JB and I booked these rooms and had a "champagne morning social" in March. The carpenter came and opened up the wall ~~then as JB's bed was a Murphy type he raised it, we had extra chairs, thus adding space to the living room. We had about 40 guests ~~and 2 bathrooms. Everyone comfortable:p and our party room spacious!

MB

Martha,

That must have been such a cool thing to see --how clever. And I think it must have been much nicer than having a party in the card room.The only drawback for us would be that 127 does not have a tub -- that would be definite problem for me.Anyway, I tend to entertain on a much smaller scale than you!

Archived