Just back from Back to Back on Century 4-11 & 4-16

Jaxom37

Had a great time, the Century was in good shape, the staff was wonderful. I had a CC veranda and a sky suite, both were great. I did notice a few things Celebrity seems to be doing to cut corners.

Captains club. They are wasting their money with the "coupons" all the decent ones they took away. The CC party was nice though. The dinning room menu was the exact same for both sailings. I got a look at the menu for the next cruise for dinner and it was the same as the first night of my cruises. I noticed they blended the soup and salad on the menu , and they are using cheaper cuts of meat. Portions were ok, lots of bread on tables. They did not serve lobster at all, and we did get baked Alaska on the 5 day cruise but not the 4 day cruise. The coffee was not as bad as I was expecting, one morning I think they gave me expresso though. :D Overall I had a great time. After 12 cruises with Celebrity you come to expect a certain level of service I guess. I also noticed in Murano's the wine pairing went from 30$ last year on Summit to 100$ this trip. Needless to say I just ordered a bottle instead. :D

I was on the April 11 Century cruise too.

Can I ask a dumb question? What's the deal with the baked Alaska presentation at dinner? Isn't it just an ice cream cake? I'm sorry, I didn't really understand the significance of it.

Can I ask a dumb question? What's the deal with the baked Alaska presentation at dinner? Isn't it just an ice cream cake? I'm sorry, I didn't really understand the significance of it.

I do not think they parade it anymore on the ships.

It melted and was a fire hazard along with they may spill it.

We have narrowed our choices down for next year and are getting pretty settled in on the Century April 3 and April 8 back to back. Did you keep the same table for dinner? How did the turnover day go? We haven't been on Century for 7 years, how did you find it? How do they handle check in. Did you just print the express pass for the first leg? etc. Thanks for any help you can give.

We were on the 4-night itinerary in December. Our primary problem was that it was too short a cruise. There was a seafood risotto on the menu when we took our cruise. It included half a small lobster tail on top. I did not try it.

I've never been a fan of basked Alaska. I try to make sure to look at the dessert menu before dinner so I'll know what to order instead. Our Century waiter tried to make everyone have a piece, but I wanted something else. The same thing happened on our HAL cruise last month. On that one, however, there was a baked Alaska parade around the dining room--only without the sparklers or small flaming containers of liqueurs.

Thank you for posting. We'll be on a 5 day cruise on Celebrity in Jan. Will they have lobster?

Hi,

We're on a 5 day cruise on X Century last Jan, they didn't serve whole lobster tail. But they served mixed sea food on risotto, which they put some shrimp, bay scallop and small piece of lobster tail in a shell. I didn't order it but my DW and DD did and they said it's OK.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the 4-night itinerary in December. Our primary problem was that it was too short a cruise. There was a seafood risotto on the menu when we took our cruise. It included half a small lobster tail on top. I did not try it.

I've never been a fan of basked Alaska. I try to make sure to look at the dessert menu before dinner so I'll know what to order instead. Our Century waiter tried to make everyone have a piece, but I wanted something else. The same thing happened on our HAL cruise last month. On that one, however, there was a baked Alaska parade around the dining room--only without the sparklers or small flaming containers of liqueurs.

We're on Century in November and our only hope is that the food will be well prepared and presented. I'm somewhat baffled by the numerous mentions of lobster or lobster tail on these boards? Is whether or not lobster is served regarded as some sort of reflection of the food budget for a ship?

If so, I would imagine it hardly holds water (excuse the pun) these days when farmed lobster is comparitively inexpensive.

Neither lobster or baked Alaska hold particular appeal for me, as the former can be rather tough and tasteless unless prepared with great care, and the latter is over sweet and gooey.

Food like so many aspects of a holiday is purely subjective and I certainly wouldn't be deterrred from booking a cruise on a ship because lobster wasn't on the menu.

I am not the op, but here is my input!

I'm with you. Neither me or my husband find anything special about the dessert. We didn't miss it

We have narrowed our choices down for next year and are getting pretty settled in on the Century April 3 and April 8 back to back. Did you keep the same table for dinner? How did the turnover day go? We haven't been on Century for 7 years, how did you find it? How do they handle check in. Did you just print the express pass for the first leg? etc. Thanks for any help you can give.

We did b2b 4/16 and 4/20. The first leg we were in a FV and the second we were blessed with a RS. Two totally different cruises!

No, we didn't have the same table because the 1st cruise was added on at the last minute and we didn't have a suite for it, so we sat at a table for 8. The second cruise we got a table for 2. We were issued our new sea passes the night before the second cruise began. On the day we did the second cruise, they asked us to meet at a lounge where they kept track of how the debarkation was going. When everyone was off the ship, they walked us to the sea pass check out and passport area and then we turned around and got back on with our new sea pass. They never asked us for our second express pass. Very efficient, and made us feel kind of special!

We were on Century in 2006. I noticed a little more wear and tear, but that stuff does not ruin a cruise for us.

We had our best cruise ever. Of course that RS had a little to do with that.;)

Archived