Cost of transportation from Civitiveccia

joelmomma

We are sailing on the Quest's July 26th Mediterranean cruise. DH and I have decided not to do the train from Civitiveccia into Rome at the end, but would rather cab it. What should we expect the fare to be from the port to our hotel (Intercontinental de la Ville by the Spanish Steps)?

Did you make all the arrangements for yourselves before you left and hope to pick up the others, or did you know you'd be sharing ahead of time?

We arranged it in advance through our Roll Call. We're lucky to have over 50 people, including travelling companions, going on the cruise, so we were able to find others to join us pretty easily.:)

Just got back and its pretty painless taking the trains and definitely alot

less money, only 9 euros. It was an easy walk to the station from the gates of the port. The ride from Civitiveccia was about 70 minutes and it brought you right into the main train terminal.

From this terminal I believe you can connect directly to trains to the airport. We ended up taking a bus from the train station to our hotel. A taxi driver wanted to charge us 20 euros for a 9 euro trip but the bus was only 1 euro and once off, an easy walk to our hotel, even with two large heavy suitcases. This definitely helped us treat ourselves to a cab back to the airport to return home. Hope this helps!

If you take a taxi, do yourself a favor and have multiple bill denominations and change avaialble....the cab driver who dropped us off at the airport shrugged and simply said he didn't have any change when I paid him...knowing there was nothing I could do about it.

He ended up with a tip of about 3x what would be expected.

Kathy

If you take a taxi, do yourself a favor and have multiple bill denominations and change avaialble....the cab driver who dropped us off at the airport shrugged and simply said he didn't have any change when I paid him...knowing there was nothing I could do about it.

He ended up with a tip of about 3x what would be expected.

Kathy

Didn't you just want to "strangle" him? You know well he had the change.

Reminds me of a cab driver in Milan who gave us a 500 Lira piece in place of 2 Euro back in 2002 when they had just changed from Lira to Euro - they look exactly alike. By the time you realize it, he was gone. I bet he had a pocket full of those just for tourists like us.

girlofthewest - thanks for the train info

Yes...and he knew it. Probably thought "...another stupid tourist!" Oh well... live and learn. It was still a great trip!

You are right. I no longer sweat the "small stuff" - it's part of traveling. Those people probably need it more than I do.......

Just to add my two cents I totally disagree about the ease of using the train when leaving the Ship.

You have no idea where Quest will dock and the transportation to the Gates is abysmal in my experience. We took the train a couple of years ago to Rome without luggage.

The walk to the Gates took 20 minutes (the few Port buses were full by the time they reached our Ship) and it is about another 10 minutes to the Station.

At the other end in Rome the train arrives at the furthest platform from the main Station and it is again about a 10 minute walk to the exit. Upon arrival we found the queues for the buses in the early morning to be long and then they were packed.

I would dread the thought that after a great cruise, I would have to shlep all my luggage in 80 degree heat on that journey.

Brian

Just to add my two cents I totally disagree about the ease of using the train when leaving the Ship.

You have no idea where Quest will dock and the transportation to the Gates is abysmal in my experience. We took the train a couple of years ago to Rome without luggage.

The walk to the Gates took 20 minutes (the few Port buses were full by the time they reached our Ship) and it is about another 10 minutes to the Station.

At the other end in Rome the train arrives at the furthest platform from the main Station and it is again about a 10 minute walk to the exit. Upon arrival we found the queues for the buses in the early morning to be long and then they were packed.

I would dread the thought that after a great cruise, I would have to shlep all my luggage in 80 degree heat on that journey.

Brian

Brian,

thanks for the info. I wasn't seriously considering doing that at the end of the cruise after I heard about connections, etc (maybe as an independent trip to Rome in the middle of a cruise without luggage).

We are - let's just say over 60 - and I cannot see us "shleping" all our luggage to the train in Civita and then transfering in Rome. I might have considered that if there was a train straight to the airport (like Zurich, Milan, etc)

Brian,

Our experience was easier than yours. In 2007, we arrived on the Quest, found our luggage, and the bus to the gate was waiting as we exited. We walked from the gate, and rolled our luggage, to the train station. We each had a medium sized roller bag and a small carry-on. We asked for tickets to Fiumicino airport. The agent spoke perfect English and explained that we did NOT have to go into Rome to Termini station. She gave us two tickets, one from Civitavecchia to Roma Trastevere and the other from Roma Trastevere( the ticket actually said Roma Area Metropo) to Fiumicino. At Roma Trastevere, we had to change platforms. I think I remember, but I am not sure, walking down steps, going under the tracks, and then up stairs to the other platform. The wait for the connecting train was no more than ten minutes, maybe less. Total fare for two (the tickets were issued for two passengers) was, in euros, 7.40 for the 1st leg and 10.00 for the second for a total of 17.40 or 8.70 each. At Fiumicino it is an easy walk and roll to check-in. We actually walked to the Hilton since we were not leaving until the next day. Then we took the free Hilton bus to Rome, spent most of the day there and took their bus back.

We are in our sixies, and in pretty good shape. We had no problems with the luggage or with the walking distances. Unless you have lots of luggage or a physical problem, the whole trip is very easy.

Archived