Enough lifeboats on the pearl?

karen327

I noticed on the CNBC cruise special on the Pearl that they said the ship had 20 lifeboats and each held 150 people. That would mean they can hold 3,000 people. I also know that the ship had 2500 passengers and 1,100 staff when i sailed on her. Does that mean that there are 600 staff members that are bionic swimmers? Or is it a a race of your life to see who gets to the lifeboats first? Or should I go back to second grade math class? Or do I need to have my hearing checked?

There's enought lifeboats for everyone per international law. You probably didn't notice them but all along the outside decks are these big plastic drum looking things. They are actually inflatable life rafts which can probably hold about twenty people. I believe we were told when I was in the navy that if they're not deployed manually, they're designed to break away from the ship when it reaches a certain depth and deploy autmatically on the surface. So if the ship ever sunk there would be several dozen of these on the surface. Something else to think about too, if you have to, never jump overboard with your lifevest on, unless you want a broken neck, hold it and put it on once you're in the water. They teach that in the navy, but have never heard it mentioned on a cruise.

Relax, they made a movie about a cruise ship that didn't have enough life boats. The learning curve for cruise lines is not a flat line.

Its my understanding that each side of a ship has enough lifeboats for all aboard.

There's enought lifeboats for everyone per international law. You probably didn't notice them but all along the outside decks are these big plastic drum looking things. They are actually inflatable life rafts which can probably hold about twenty people. I believe we were told when I was in the navy that if they're not deployed manually, they're designed to break away from the ship when it reaches a certain depth and deploy autmatically on the surface. So if the ship ever sunk there would be several dozen of these on the surface. Something else to think about too, if you have to, never jump overboard with your lifevest on, unless you want a broken neck, hold it and put it on once you're in the water. They teach that in the navy, but have never heard it mentioned on a cruise.

Seriously - thanks for the tip. It never occurred to me, but - DOH! - of course you could break your neck smacking into the sea (in a panic), wearing your life vest. Sage advice. Naturally, I hope I never need to remember it. But I won't forget it.

You are all quite right. Maritime law states that there must be enough life raft space on each side of the ship for the maximum amount of persons on board at anyone time. In other words if there is 3000 on board there would be 6000 spots in total. This came into force after an accident involving a very well known ship in 1912:(. The large white drums are life rafts which are either automaticly deployed from the ship in the event that it sinks when the ship gets to between 50 and 75 feet. They hold anywhere between 4 and 50 depending on the size, I believe that cruise ships carry 20 to 25 person ones. They can be deployed manually by detaching the hydrostatic release that attaches the life rafts to the deck of the ship, rolling them over the side and pulling the rope attached. They will self inflate and have rations, water, radio and medical supplies in them. One thing that you are rearly told in life raft drills is dont wear shoes. If you have to get into an inflatable one and you ladies still have your high heels on it could get nasty.

Lets hope that no one has to test the system:eek:.

Cheers

John

From the Pearl's "fact sheet":

"20 life boats each holding 150 persons = 3000 persons

2 rescue boats holding 49 persons each

4 chute stations with 3 life rafts each, plus 10 spare rafts

Each life raft holds 101 persons (2020 persons)

2 additional spare rafts hold 25 persons

38 Life Buoys and 2 MOB boats

8296 Life Jackets (20 additional life jackets for infants)

Maximum Combined Lefe Boat and Life Raft Capacity = 5370"

twice as many lifeboat seats as potential passengers, for instance, and life jackets for 125 percent of capacity,

from

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/13/travel/practical-traveler-tightening-the-standards-for-cruise-ship-safety.html

FYI- the article is from 1991. I think the vast majority of cruise ships that sail from the US are much younger today.

I remember (this was not on an NCL cruise) at muster one time being told that ships are designed to be able to combine the inflatables with the regular lifeboats on one side of the ship. That way if the ship has a list and they cannot launch the lifeboats on one side, they still have enough capacity. Made sense to me :)

Something else to think about too, if you have to, never jump overboard with your lifevest on, unless you want a broken neck, hold it and put it on once you're in the water. They teach that in the navy, but have never heard it mentioned on a cruise.

Cunard (QM2) explains the proper way to jump. But, I don't remember them saying to take off the jacket . . . you make sense, tho. I suppose I'll just have to book a crossing and get it explained to me again.

I noticed on the CNBC cruise special on the Pearl that they said the ship had 20 lifeboats and each held 150 people. That would mean they can hold 3,000 people. I also know that the ship had 2500 passengers and 1,100 staff when i sailed on her.

2500 + 1100 = 3600. Does seem a little low at first.

But the law only requires lifeboats for passengers and life-rafts for crew.

As others have pointed out, there's plenty of life-rafts and lifeboats for twice the number of passengers and crew aboard these ships.

Cunard (QM2) explains the proper way to jump. But, I don't remember them saying to take off the jacket . . . you make sense, tho. I suppose I'll just have to book a crossing and get it explained to me again.

I was impressed that Cunard actually took that extra step to explain how to properly enter the water in a lifejacket - maybe it has something to do with the fact the promenade deck on QM2 is much, much higher up out of the water than your average cruise ship.

Ok.. Why does it not sit right with me that the crew only gets life rafts. Don't they deserve the same protection as pax? Maybe that law should change.

I was going by memory. Considering the lack of sleep, and amount of alcohol I had, there is a very reasonable chance I remember it wrong.

Ok.. Why does it not sit right with me that the crew only gets life rafts. Don't they deserve the same protection as pax? Maybe that law should change.

And doesn't the captain go down with the ship

Traditionally the Captain was the ultimate servant to the passengers on his ship. Rather strangely the crew were expected to still serve passengers in the event of the ship sinking and put them before themselves. The Captain, being the most responsible officer on board was expected to be the last to leave the ship after ensuring the safety of his passengers. Naturally this would entail him being in the most dangerous position of all, often trying to escape as the ship sank. This was not always possible so he would 'go down with his ship'. Another explanation would be that if the ship sank it would be because of his mismanagement and to die with the ship would ensure a glorious end rather than the ignominy and humiliation of facing a court martial for losing his ship and passengers.

from

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071218141048AAMncaA

It's possible too that like in the case of the Andrea Doria, they were unable to launch the lifeboats on the starboard side due to damage, so it's possible a lot of passengers would end up in the life rafts also. That's why they carry so many of them.

If you should have to jump into the water I understand that you are to jump feet first. You should have your arms crossed across your chest if you are not wearing a life jacket and holding down tightly on the life jacket if you are wearing one. If you were to jump just hanging on to the life jacket, it would be ripped out of your hands as you entered the water and you probably would not be able to reach it after surfacing and getting your bearings. If possible you should be wearing your life jacket.

2500 + 1100 = 3600. Does seem a little low at first.

But the law only requires lifeboats for passengers and life-rafts for crew.

As others have pointed out, there's plenty of life-rafts and lifeboats for twice the number of passengers and crew aboard these ships.

Most of the crew are assigned to life-rafts. There are more then enough spaces for everyone including crew members.

There are also more than enough life jackets available near the lifeboats stations for each passenger even if no-one were to go back to their stateroom for theirs.

Are the rafts less safe?

They are safe - but which would you prefer to be in? I know which I would choose! :rolleyes:

Just yesterday I was discussing a cruise/boat movie to rent for after our group's pre-cruise get-together. I suggested Lifeboat - a great movie and tongue--in-cheek humor for the folks expecting Titanic or An Affair to Remember.

After reading this thread, though it seems a bit less far fetched! :eek: Lots of good info, though... like checking where the exits are in a large hall or movie theater... good to be prepared - hope you never need it.

like checking where the exits are in a large hall or movie theater... good to be prepared - hope you never need it.

Do you notice all the exit signs in the hallways of a cruise ship. I wonder where they lead to. OUTSIDE?:eek:

If you should have to jump into the water I understand that you are to jump feet first. You should have your arms crossed across your chest if you are not wearing a life jacket and holding down tightly on the life jacket if you are wearing one.

Another thing (especially for males) is to keep your legs crossed.:D

The crew knows how to deploy the rafts and practice getting in them. ;)

As a passenger, are you willing to practice deploying the life raft and getting into them? I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

Archived