Antigua beaches

jackdiamond

We took a cab to Dickinson Bay. It was about a 20 minute cab ride. We arranged for the same driver to pick us up at a predetermined time and he was right on time.

The beach is nice, if maybe a little crowded. It's where Sandals and a couple of other hotels are located. There are lots of watersports vendors here as well as chairs and umbrellas for rent. There are a couple of beach bars and resturants.

It's not a tranquil, idyllic beach but is very nice and fairly close to town.

Hi we always go to Darkwood beach in fact it's my favourite beach in the Caribbean :)

The beach is not that long (as most beaches in Antigua), but the water was beautiful, beach is very clean and there is a handy bar with food available. You could also rent beach chairs and umbrellas.

Best of all not many people know about it :)

1771153143_SeaPrincess2009125.jpg.5382cc629f61a84e0b5d42114f3684f2.jpg

We were an Antigua in January. We asked the taxi driver to take us to a beach north east of the port as we had been on that side before. He took us to Valley Church Beach.

For the first hour we were the only ones there. By the time we were going back to the ship there were still only 7 people. It was beautiful.

There were chairs to hire, a beach bar, basic toilets, clean, and a shower in the grass to get the sand off., all you needed.:)

[ATTACH]115337[/ATTACH]

We were an Antigua in January. We asked the taxi driver to take us to a beach north east of the port as we had been on that side before. He took us to Valley Church Beach.

For the first hour we were the only ones there. By the time we were going back to the ship there were still only 7 people. It was beautiful.

There were chairs to hire, a beach bar, basic toilets, clean, and a shower in the grass to get the sand off., all you needed.:)

Was this a public or private beach (as in was there an admission fee) How much were the chairs?

I think it was public. The taxi driver brought us on and seemed to know the beach bar man. There wasn`s any charge to get onto the beach, only for the chairs. I can`t remember the charge but they were not expensive.

There seemed to be an all inclusive hotel nearby. A few people walked passed with wrist braclets on.

We went to Turner's Beach last year and loved it. It had a beach bar/restaurant with washrooms, but that's about it. There were maybe 10 people on the beach the whole time we were there, which was exactly what we were looking for! Super calm, clear waters...a little bit of paradise! If I remember correctly, it was not too far past Darkwood Beach. I think it took around 30 minutes by taxi to get there. We arranged for a pick-up time for the trip back to the ship, and he was right on time.

After looking at a map I realise that Valley Church Bay is on the west coast of Antigua. Maybe the taxi driver showed us the map the wrong way round. It was about 20 mins drive from the port.

I agree with Darkwood beach. It is a picture postcard type of beach. Couldn't be prettier, water bluer and sand softer. Also lots of shells for collecting. There is a little place there that sells food and drinks. There is a bathroom and changing room. I thought this was the best beach that we had visited during our Southern Caribbean cruise.

We also enjoyed Darkwood Beach. The best part of this day was taking the city bus through town to the beach. It was a great way to meet the locals on the bus and they were more than willing help you. The bus terminal is only about 10 minutes from the pier and is located by the veggie and craft market. I believe you take bus #22 to Darkwood Beach and it drops you off right at the beach. $2 pp each way.

I think it was public. The taxi driver brought us on and seemed to know the beach bar man. There wasn`s any charge to get onto the beach, only for the chairs. I can`t remember the charge but they were not expensive.

There seemed to be an all inclusive hotel nearby. A few people walked passed with wrist braclets on.

We were there this past Nov and loved it there :).

Elvis was the owner of the restaurant and the land around it. We had an extremely lovely lunch of chicken curry, rice, veg and salad with garlic bread and a few beers, one rum punch that had me tipsy after a few sips, Elvis poured more pinapple juice in for me but I must say I was quite giddy for a few hours afterwards, a few beers for dh and one diet coke. We rented lounge chairs and the entire bill for the day came to about $45......for two :)

Truly when I got out of the cab I squealed like a schoolgirl because it was like Pirates of Caribbean and I was waiting for Jack Sparrow to walk around the corner. My husband still rolls his eyes at that :cool:

Joseph was our taxi driver and took us here when we asked what beach HIS family liked ) He promised to come back at what ever time we wanted and when we went to pay him, he stopped us and said, "You pay me when we are back at the ship "

We arranged for him to pick us up at 2 and he phoned Elvis at 1:50 to say he was running late because of traffic. 2:10 he arrived and it was all good.

I would come back here in a heartbeat :)

Cocobay Resorts was the name of the AI close to the beach and we have this resort bookmarked as a place to stay at :)

We have been to Dickenson Bay but thought it was too crowded. Our new fav is Runaway Bay...not crowded..beautiful white sand...and a great beach bar...Can't wait to go back. It is right near Dickenson but closer to the port...15 minute ride.

I've stayed at the Sandals Resort on Dickinson Bay- I think they sell day passes. Not a "lot" of beach there. We also stayed at the Hawksbill resort which has four beaches (including one clothing optional!), and I think they also sell day passes. If they do, that would be my recommendation. It was very low-key and we enjoyed it very much.

Archived