Post your memorable St. MAARTEN PICS HERE!

Aplmac

Not that the distortion bugs me that much...it doesn't,really :D

but is Nikon Capture the software on the CD wot came with the camera??

-or do I have to get it elsewhere?

So you were at SXM same day as me, huh?

You must've been on either Carnival Liberty

or on Crown Princess...

We where on the Crown Princess, CaptureNX is unfortunatly 'extra' you can download a free trial from Nikon. Yes I remember the Navy boat coming in kind of neat they all lined up along the rail as they came in.

In a previous post you where looking at the D90 and you have the D60?

This sounds like not much of a 'step up' you might try the D300 or newer D700. Also I was told by an old photographer an long time ago when I was first getting into this addiction called photography your images are only as good and sharp as the glass you shoot it through. Nikon lenses while being $$$$$ are some of the best optics you can buy. But Nikon is making lower grade optics for the entry level photographers. When you go to the more $$$ one the sharper the images. But if you use the lower $ ones you can still good pictures with smaller aperture openings.

479583714_20090422Cruise2009027.jpg.6cf24d2bc5970ad4f993a43d6c613997.jpg

Making our way back to Carnival Victory, we headed for the Water Taxi pier at mid-town

and I got crazy with the new lens...

Philipsburg-926.jpg

That's Victory and Liberty at right in the far distance!

St.jpg

May 2007

Edited by aplmac

aplmac, Great photo's, those last 2 or 3. Remember when we were discussing the Sigma 10-20mm lens. Well, I was browsuing thru the Calumet Photo site 2 days ago and the 479 I told u about, well that for Nikon, NOT Canon. The Sigma 10-20mm lens for Canon runs 569-ouch! I know it would be much better for the general overall photo's I will be taking on my cruise, but its a bit too much for me. Have decided to simply use my 18-200mm IS Sigma zoom and for most pics to just keep the lens at 18 or so mm. Also found out the hard way, these big zoom len's are not the best for use indoors. My youngest niece graduated from law school this past sunday and I attempted to Zoom all the way in....never occured to me that doing so reduced the aperture so all of my photo's were really dark. Last time I do that!

Rob

In a previous post you where looking at the D90 and you have the D60?

This sounds like not much of a 'step up' you might try the D300 or newer D700. Also I was told by an old photographer an long time ago when I was first getting into this addiction called photography your images are only as good and sharp as the glass you shoot it through. Nikon lenses while being $$$$$ are some of the best optics you can buy. But Nikon is making lower grade optics for the entry level photographers. When you go to the more $$$ one the sharper the images. But if you use the lower $ ones you can still good pictures with smaller aperture openings.

Actually, it was me asking about the D90 and it is a step up for me as I only have a small digital camera. Right now it's the best I can afford. I would love to go all out on a great camera, but that's in my dream world.

MDSue, While I am nowhere near an expert on photography, camera's and that stuff, I do know the Nikon D90 is considered a great camera for the class it is in. Don't forget, it does take 720p movies, and thats pretty good! If you do purchase it, am sure you will be pleased with it.

Rob

Actually, it was me asking about the D90 and it is a step up for me as I only have a small digital camera.

Right now it's the best I can afford. ===> it's all you'll need for the next 5 yrs.!!

I would love to go all out on a great camera, but that's in my dream world.

When I bought the D60

I was moving up from 5 yrs. of shooting silly little Canon Powershots

(both of which gave me processor problems, btw..)

I wanted a SMALL camera body, so Nikon's D60 filled that bill, as it is their smallest DSLR body.

I knew whatever features it brought with it ..would waaaay exceed the two Powershots combined

and it didn't fall short.

Many more advanced DSLRs start to get heavy and bulky as the price and features start to reach for the sky!

I don't want heavy bulky nor expensive, preferring to spend my money on glass -but you know that already :cool:

The only two reasons I'd move up to the D90 (if it's not too much larger than my D60) is

* to get the AF built-in to the body rather than my lenses and

* for the grid that can be enabled onto the focusing screen.

The latter helps with keeping horizons horizontal.

Oh yes, the D90's movie capability is an industry first in DSLRs...that's a nice feature to have as well

although one I could probably live without.

Buy the D90 and feel like a giant!

You'll love it.

Edited by aplmac

A new camera form Nikon to be released this May that looks lighter than the D90 or D60 is the D5000, it is listed at B&H Photo for arond $730.00(body only). What is great is shoots RAW+JPEG.

MDSue, While I am nowhere near an expert on photography, camera's and that stuff, I do know the Nikon D90 is considered a great camera for the class it is in. Don't forget, it does take 720p movies, and thats pretty good! If you do purchase it, am sure you will be pleased with it.

Rob

One of the main reasons I wanted the D90 is because of the Hi-Def movie capabilties to go along with a [hopefully] great camera. That's not to say I won't change my mind between now and spring when I return to St Maarten. I tend do a lot of research before purchasing anything so I'm always open to suggestions.

I have an older manual Pentax camera that had a very nice telephoto lens. I took some great shots with it years ago, but it's broken and outdated. I can't wait to purchase a quality camera and then go about learning to take some great photos [and videos too].

I have to say that your pics are stunning.

To bad I don't have a job or I would jump on this deal for that camera.

http://www.cameragiantsinc.com/products.asp?product_id=19323

That's alot of temptation. I'm not sure how they can offer it so cheap though. I see once I add a decent lens, it get pricy again. I'm going to save my pennies until next year:)

That's alot of temptation. I'm not sure how they can offer it so cheap though. ===> Body only! ;)

I see once I add a decent lens, it get pricey again. ====> well...yeaahh!

I'm going to save my pennies until next year:)

If I were you, I'd pounce on that body-only deal right now!

A lens will come later (sooner than you think).

Afford them "one month, then again next month" -and you'd have a neat camera sooner than you think.

This year 2009 is the year of the discounted deal, while the economy is in the doldrums.

Buy now. Rare pricing opportunity.

What settings do you set your camera on? I have a D40 and an nikor 18-200 vr lens and use a polarizer, and while the pics are quite an improvement over my old point and shoot camera, they don't look anything like yours. Your blues in the sky and water are just so, well, blue! My photos always seem dark and the colors not as vibrant as I would like. Granted, I don't really know much about taking pictures, so I am sure the problem is the user. I usually just have the camera set on eith auto or the landscape icon and go from there. I also alwys turn the polarizer so that the blues look deeper in the viewfinder. Am I using this correctly? Thank you.

here are some pics from our trip last week to give you an example of how my pics do not compare with yours. I don't have photoshop, but I did use windows photo gallery to play around with pics a little. I'll give you a before and after so you can see. Again, I really have no idea what I am doing, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DSC_0031.jpgDSC_0031-ps.jpgDSC_0063.jpgDSC_0063-ps.jpgDSC_0167.jpgDSC_0167-ps.jpg

More great shots- as usual. I guess I'll have to scroll on over and take a better look.

Regarding the camera body, I couldn't see anything on the website that mentioned warranty information or if it was a factory camera, not a knock-off. How would I know? Anybody familiar with the dealer?

Even if it was cheap, my other half would have a fit if I bought a camera right now. He wants a motorcycle, we need a new roof. I say no bike until the roof is fixed. He says no camera until he gets his bike. I tell you this marriage thing can really put a damper on my spending:(

p.s I haven't even mentioned the cruise I've already booked for next year yet!

Edited by MDSue

Jrice, I actually prefer your before pics better! Maybe just lighten the before "a touch". Not really sure how to do it, but your originals are darn pleasing to the eye. The 2nd shots really did bring out the greens though...

MDsue, but a motorcycle costs many thousands, the camera you are thinking of-NikonD90 just over a thousand. Ok, roof comes first, but then what? Not for me, nor am I trying to tell you or anyone else what/how to do things, just that coming from a twice divorced man, some things are 1-not worth fighting over and 2-is this a battle really worth fighting over? Please don't be mad at my input...but if you , guess I can live with it. About next year's cruise....maybe that might cancel both his motorcycle plans and your camera plans.

Rob---uh oh, did I just open up a major can of worms that I should just have stayed out of.....sorry if I did.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy them. I'll try playing around with it more. I just want to have that wow factor that aplmac is able to get. I think what is hurting my pics is the lack of crispness. Mine look pretty hazy in comparison. I'm sure the time of day and weather have some effects, but there also have to be some settings on the camera that I should adjust to help.