motion sickness

Firetrk

My boyfriend and I are going on a cruise in September. This will be our first cruise (Carnival Pride 9/6/09). He would like a room with a balcony. I'm just worried about getting sick. I had heard that the higher you go the more motion you will feel. Which makes sense. Question --Is this also true with front and/or back of the boat. Is one better than the other?

The rule seems to be the lower and more center you are on a ship, the less motion sickness you'll feel. I've never had a problem with motion sickness, but my boyfriend was concerned, so we booked an oceanview on deck 3. For a balcony, I would say definitely do center or a little further back (not forward), and choose the lowest deck that has balconies. Make sure to research noise for that deck though, as that can be a problem!

As close to center as possible. You will feel motion---it's unavoidable--but there are meds. to nip that in the bud! Take them! And realize that you won't be in your cabin 24/7--you'll be out and about the ship! Don't worry about what you can't control, and the "motion of the ocean" is one of those things! Start taking some sort of preventative the day before you set sail---you'll be fine!

As close to center as possible. You will feel motion---it's unavoidable--but there are meds. to nip that in the bud! Take them! And realize that you won't be in your cabin 24/7--you'll be out and about the ship! Don't worry about what you can't control, and the "motion of the ocean" is one of those things! Start taking some sort of preventative the day before you set sail---you'll be fine!

I happen to agree about Meds. My wife takes Meclizine, which works for her. On other threads People slam that advice saying how drugged they are etc....

If you are prone to get sick, I guess you either stay off the water or take meds or maybe find lowest center cabin, but thats only good for night time when you are in the cabin. On Sea days you have to deal with it being all over the ship....dining...etc.

Take Meds in my opinion.

I take one Phenergen at night before bed and also wear wrist bands at night and have found this helps for me as it's overnight thats causes me problems. Think it's not being able to see the horizon etc. If I am sick it's straight down to the docs and get a jab and couple of hours later show me the food. Have done about 40 cruises and have only been sick a handful of times. Occupational hazard of being at sea but has never put me off cruising.:)

I also take Meklazine which is the same thing as Bonine or Less-Drowsy Dramamine and it works great for me. I did get sick our first cruise without taking the meds and let me tell you feeling a little bit tired is MUCH better than feeling the least bit sick. I start taking the meds a couple of hours before I get on the ship and then only take them at night. Also, after a day or so on the ship I cut back to 1/2 a tablet and then wean myself off of them completely if the weather is good and the ship isn't rocking much and I haven't gotten sick at all after that first time. Good Luck. I did try the ginger and the wrist bands that first trip and they did not help me.

As close to center as possible.

You will feel motion---it's unavoidable--but there are meds. to nip that in the bud! Take them!

And realize that you won't be in your cabin 24/7--you'll be out and about the ship!

Don't worry about what you can't control, and the "motion of the ocean" is one of those things!

Start taking some sort of preventative the day before you set sail---you'll be fine!

Select a cabin from the lowest row of balconies -usually a Deck 6 -amidships or a bit astern of that

- and Ginger Ale, ginger biscuits, ginger pills.

Works wonders for settling the stomach.

I take on board with me one Canada Dry Ginger Ale for each day long the cruise is

and drink it during the day in my cabin, whether I feel queasy or not!

My boyfriend and I are going on a cruise in September. This will be our first cruise (Carnival Pride 9/6/09). He would like a room with a balcony. I'm just worried about getting sick. I had heard that the higher you go the more motion you will feel. Which makes sense. Question --Is this also true with front and/or back of the boat. Is one better than the other?

I sail my 28' sailboat in Pacific and, obviously, get much more motion than on a cruise ship. These are a few tips how to prevent motion sickness:

1) try to spend more time outside on a fresh air;

2) Do not look at close objects, do not read or watch TV;

3) Choose a distant object out in the ocean ahead of you (such as another boat, island, horizon) and watch it for 10-20 minutes;

4) Dress warm;

5) Do not drink excessive amounts of alcohol;

There are drugs and patches too, such as Dramamine, but you have to start taking it BEFORE symptoms of motion sickness occur to be effective, plus it makes many people (including myself) drowsy - will you be taking it on a regular basis during multiday cruise? I doubt it.

Also remember, that in many instances motion sickness is in your head. In other words, if you expect it - it'll come. Try not to concentrate on it. Your body will adjust in 1-2 days and the symptoms, if any, will be significantly diminished.

• 4 weeks later...

First cruise last week for husband and I. We had a cabin mid-ship, took ginger pills twice a day and had no problems with motion sickness, but did feel sort of light-headed the whole time. Did not want to take "meds" as to avoid being a zombie.

Anything with ginger will help - ginger ale, ginger capsules, candied ginger ... keep it in mind and enjoy your cruise. We did :)

I take one Phenergen at night before bed and also wear wrist bands at night and have found this helps for me as it's overnight thats causes me problems. Think it's not being able to see the horizon etc. If I am sick it's straight down to the docs and get a jab and couple of hours later show me the food. Have done about 40 cruises and have only been sick a handful of times. Occupational hazard of being at sea but has never put me off cruising.:)

just curious how much does the jab cost??

Usually about £70 for the first as it includes a consultation. You get a receipt so just claim it back on your travel insurance, providing you don't have large excess. I usually get a yearly policy and pay the extra few pounds for no excess. The worst time I had was back in 2002 doing the Canaries, three jabs on that one but was given the advice of taking the pill at night and using the wrist bands by a seasoned cruiser the following year when crossing the Atlantic. Have never looked back. I do also take a bag of crystalized ginger with me, that also helps. But as I said sea sickness has never and will never put me off cruising I love it too much. Oh one other thing I don't pick forward cabins if at all possible and usually pick midships aft .

whether you get the balcony or not wont necassarily be the determining factor if you get sick or not...if you are worried about it and would like a balcony I would get one as close to midship as possible and on the lowest deck available

Usually about £70 for the first as it includes a consultation. You get a receipt so just claim it back on your travel insurance, providing you don't have large excess. I usually get a yearly policy and pay the extra few pounds for no excess. The worst time I had was back in 2002 doing the Canaries, three jabs on that one but was given the advice of taking the pill at night and using the wrist bands by a seasoned cruiser the following year when crossing the Atlantic. Have never looked back. I do also take a bag of crystalized ginger with me, that also helps. But as I said sea sickness has never and will never put me off cruising I love it too much. Oh one other thing I don't pick forward cabins if at all possible and usually pick midships aft .

crystalized ginger is that like in hardcandy form/? Did the wristbands help?

I get the crystalized ginger from Holland and Barrett. For me the wristbands help. If I have had to wear these on formal nights I tie a thin matching or complementary colour chiffon scarf over one leaving it long enough to float and wear a nice large bracelet over the other.:)

I get the crystalized ginger from Holland and Barrett. For me the wristbands help. If I have had to wear these on formal nights I tie a thin matching or complementary colour chiffon scarf over one leaving it long enough to float and wear a nice large bracelet over the other.:)

good idea! we probably would have just worn the bracelet-lol!

• 3 months later...

I have always been prone to motion sickness but on my last 2 cruises i got deck 7 or 8 midship and i d say i might have felt something for about 5 minutes at the start of the cruise-then i sat on my balcony-picked a point on the horizon stared for about 5 minutes-went back to the cabin bed-sat for another 5 minutes-and i was fine-never took the meds(which were conveniently close-lol) and went on to my fabulous time on the cruise. After that even when I d feel the motion anywhere I never got sick

Archived