Le Havre Excursion

Can anyone recommend a tour operator for excursions from Le Havre to the D-Day landing beaches? I've tried google and am not finding much other than very expensive, small, private tours. Thanks!

Hi, I'm looking for le Harve excursion too. However I'd like to go to Mont St Michel as well. I found a tour comapny who'd take us there and to the WW2 landing beaches but cos of the location of the Mont, we cna only go to Omaha beach and not the others. w'd you be nterested? It's quite expensive and the ship doesn't offer this one. 650 Euros from 1 - 8 people. We'll only go if we can find at least 1 other couple. It's to omuch for us.

BTW we're on the Sept 5 sailing of the Grand Princess from Southampton.

Hi Mia Mom - we're on the NCL Jade May 21 sailing; otherwise I'd be totally game to join your excursion.

We've looked at renting a car, but I thought I'd try other options as well. Sometimes I find the excursions are not all that much more expensive than a car rental and its nice to have the commentary.

If anyone can recommend a company, would be appreciated. Thx

Hi KT32 and Travelbig,

thanks for the info. I'll check the tour sites out and hopefully I can find a tour. Renting a car is my last option. I'm scared of driving in Europe. I did that once in Madrid and Malaga and it was freaking me out! On worng turn I'm done cos I don't speak French or Spanish.

• 4 weeks later...

Bonjour,

we are just back from NORWEGIAN JADE and rented a car for

Giverny

Rouen

and Honfleur

Here are some impressions:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/le-havre-france-private-tour-car-rental.html

Looking forward to see Le Havre in June 2010 again on INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS. Great infrastructure.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the link Heinblod.

I am wondering if this car rental place you used is at the same port where the Crown Princess will be docking?

Thanks,

dog

Subject CROWN PRINCESS will not be cut-down to a river-cruise-ship size... you will dock at the same pier as us...

There is only one OCEAN cruise terminal in Le Havre... with two berthes... but both shares the Le Havre Cruise Welcome Center...

But you can check here:

http://www.lehavretourisme.com/Le_Havre_Escales_Paquebots_2009.pdf

We called PCA and your ship calls PCA as well... so you will just berth opposite of the Le Havre Cruise Welcome Center...

Bon voyage!!!

HeinBloed

Heinblod. We are on a TA stopping in LeHavre. Is it a good idea if someone in the rental vehicle knows french for the road signs? Also, forgive my ignorance; what kind of driver's license is required? (We're from the US) We were looking at possibly Rouen & Giverny. We have never rented a vehicle outside the US. Not sure it would be 'comfortable'. We, of course, are also concerned about traffic problems. Thanks for your help.

Heinblod. We are on a TA stopping in LeHavre. Is it a good idea if someone in the rental vehicle knows french for the road signs? Also, forgive my ignorance; what kind of driver's license is required? (We're from the US) We were looking at possibly Rouen & Giverny. We have never rented a vehicle outside the US. Not sure it would be 'comfortable'. We, of course, are also concerned about traffic problems. Thanks for your help.

We checked this point already for another cruiser and it was finally confirmed by rentacar.fr: US-driving license is acceptable.

The signpost are very well.

Because you are going more or less straight ahead...

The best would be to order an GPS with your car so you cannot do anything wrong.

We paid all toll by credit car - even with the lanes which was man-occupied. All you need to do is to hand over your credit card.

But if you prefer not to speak then you use the automated lane showing "carte" or "CB" (stands for Carte Bancaire which includes MasterCard and Visa).

You just leave from the cruise terminal and once you reach the roundabout at the port exit: it's straight ahead to Rouen - Paris route.

After two hours you see a big big brown sign for Giverny and you need to get out to Vernon. But once you are in Vernon everything is very clearly signposted. Once you arrive in Giverny: everything is bilingual.

Back to Rouen: the best is to programme your GPS for the destination:

Vieux Marché which is the old market. It's the place where we had the coffee and cake. I am sure you cannot make anything wrong.

When we returned that our last street before you the port area was Quay de Southampton.

As told with an GPS it was not a problem. But even without:

I never experienced a better service from a car rental than here from rentacar.fr: You just need to say where you want to go: and you get a folder with maps and all information you need to get to the place and to see.

Only filling up is different from the US: you just fill up you go to the cashier show with your fingers your number and pay. Credit card accepted.

The last gas station is a TOTAL when you enter the city limits of Le Havre after you crossed the Normandy Bridge.

You will have a beautiful day. I am sure.

Regards,

HeinBloed

we were told international for any driving - then they said you will be fine with US as long as you don't have an accident or get stopped- not sure where it stands now but if you are concerned you can get an international at AAA- seems to me that it was 15 and just a matter of filling out some paperwork. You also need to be aware that automatic transmissions are very expensive outside of the US- they all drive stick - don't know if you realized that and if you have not been driving stick - could be a disappointing surprise.

we were told international for any driving - then they said you will be fine with US as long as you don't have an accident or get stopped- not sure where it stands now but if you are concerned you can get an international at AAA- seems to me that it was 15 and just a matter of filling out some paperwork. You also need to be aware that automatic transmissions are very expensive outside of the US- they all drive stick - don't know if you realized that and if you have not been driving stick - could be a disappointing surprise.

Why don't you just check the website of the French Embassy in Washington DC???

http://ambafrance-us.org/spip.php?article376

You got it written: up to 90 days in France and you do not need to have an international driving license.

As told: we asked for another US-cruiser and refer to this page and rentacar.fr confirmed that it's ok according to the 90-days-rule.

http://us.franceguide.com/practical-information/Renting-a-Car-and-Driving-in-France.html?nodeID=124&EditoID=200132

Regards,

HeinBloed

One minor question for you to answer please, Heinbloed. Which side of the road do they drive on in France? Thank you for all your help.

Exactly like in CT: right side.

So do not worry: it's not worse when I am driving on I-95 from Boston to New York...

and it's much more calmer than on I-95 when you want to go to Giverny.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Maybe it's helpful for your decision:

a cruise-mate took some of the highway enroute to Giverny:

http://picasaweb.google.de/Marcookie63/NCLJadeArmelkanal2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCPzUot6RsqatDQ&feat=email#5340034576123560386

and

http://picasaweb.google.de/Marcookie63/NCLJadeArmelkanal2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCPzUot6RsqatDQ&feat=email#5340035438088540898

this was our 2nd car for some additional cruise-mates who wanted to join us.

So you see: it was really calm on the road.

Here are his pictures from our shore excursion to Giverny - Rouen - Honfleur:

http://picasaweb.google.de/Marcookie63/NCLJadeArmelkanal2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCPzUot6RsqatDQ&feat=email#

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived