Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

I don't know what was around, we got in late but there is a pool. We were there in Jan and it was on the cool side so no one was using the pool. I hope someone else can provide the answer to your other question. Or give them a call, they are very helpful.

Phew! I finally got a bid accepted on Priceline. We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown on 10/22-10/23 for $90. Rack rate was $200.

Now that I have reservations, I know that Jessemon mentioned that perhaps there was a wine store nearby - but I'm hoping for a liquor store (need some Grey Goose for the cruise).

I checked with the valet, and he said that a shuttle to the pier was available for $3.00 per person.

Any tips Ken or JMon?

Timmys Mom,

From everything I know of the downtown area (also checked the phone book for addresses downtown) nothing. All I can say is pack it and bring it with you. Sorry!

Jessemon

Chase Suites sounds great, but can anyone tell me ~ is there anything fairly close by to occupy our evening? A mall? Movie theater? We arrive 4pm Tampa time. Also, does Chase Suites have a pool?

I know they will shuttle you within 5 miles of the hotel, but what is there within that radius?

Momofzeke,

Mall-movies-restaraunts-The International mall has them all. 2 miles from where you are staying. Also the Westshore mall has them all. 2 miles also.

Jessemon, it's good to hear about the malls nearby to Chase Suites, but what about liquor stores? Wouldn't mind picking up a goodie or two to take on board with us. ;)

Doughboy,

None by were you are staying but, pull a Jessemon, ask the cab driver to stop by one on the way to the port. Probably the ABC on Kennedy Blvd would work. It's on the way to the port.:D

Momofzeke,

Mall-movies-restaraunts-The International mall has them all. 2 miles from where you are staying. Also the Westshore mall has them all. 2 miles also.

Oh, thanks, jessemon! I have read about the International mall on this board, so I was hoping it would be near our hotel. That will be perfect.

boards,

Looked up something for those of you who want a prview to to Int. Mall.

Go to---www.shopinternationalmall.com. Everything you wanted to know.

Watch out for the "Blue Martini" The drinks are worth the price. When they say Martini...they mean MARTINI.

2nd PS: Where is Craker Ken?????

Hello all.

I'm still here. I've been quite busy as of late. I had to spend about a week out in Phoenix, AZ at a conference, and I've been quite busy since then, usually getting time for the computer about 10-11PM. Looks like Jessemon has been doing a good job keeping folks informed while I wasn't around.

Dentures with purses at the Wal-Mart? Interesting concept. I don't care if it's PC or not, it's still funny. Besides, where I grew up, PC meant Plant City (FL). :)

Don't get me started on the PC movement.:mad: I'll stop while I'm ahead.

I was thinking the other day - If some investors could get together and set up a moderately priced hotel, like Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn, right up the street from the cruise terminals, they would make a fortune. Then, I got to thinking some more, and realized that the only night they would have a decent amount of bookings would probably be Friday nights. Maybe not such a good idea huh?

For anyone interested: There is a really nice Hampton Inn in the W. side of Ybor City, which is only about a mile from the port, and right next to the street car line. It's convenient to everything in the Ybor City area, and the street cars give easy access to the Channelside District. I don't think they run vans from Ybor City to the airport (I'm not 100% positive about that). It's a good option for someone wanting to stay reasonably close to the port, but they don't want to pay the rates down at the Marriott Waterside.

I've mentioned it before, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried it - I wonder if it's possible for someone staying at the Hampton Inn in Ybor, or the Marriott Waterside, to take their luggage on the street car and take the ride down to the cruise terminal? I think it's very feasible. The street cars are never full, it there would be plenty of room for a few bags (unless, of course, you have packed for a world cruise or something like that). There are street car stops at Channelside (Cruise Terminal 2) at Terminal 3 (usually RCI) by the FL Aquarium, and down at Terminal 6 (where HAL usually docks). Street cars are cheaper than taxi's, and a lot more fun. If anyone reading this has ever tried this out, post and let us know.

As for the Westshore Business District near the airport (the area of the Hilton, Springhill Suites, Embassy Suites, etc., etc.) - In addition to the International Mall (very upscale, expensive places), there's the Westshore Plaza Mall which is just to the S of the Springhill Suites on Westshore Blvd (right across from the Embassy Suites). It's not quite as upscale as International Mall, but very nice. They have movies, a food court, and some restaurants (including Maggiano's Italian) a Steak and Ale, and more. It's actually a little closer than International, from the Springhill Suites.

The Wal-Mart is down at Dale Mabry Hwy and I-275, and it's right along the way between the port and airport area.

Right now, I'm watching the news reporters showing us how they can stand out in a hurricane and get soaking wet. They always stand there telling us how everyone in town (with good sense) has alread left, the police are gone, the fire dept is gone, nobody in sight, with a mandatory evacuation in effect. Still, there they stand. I don't know how much they pay those guys. It would take more per hour than I make a year to get me out there in those situations.

Y'all take care.

Ken

Thanks Ken, good to hear from you and again sorry we will not get to meet, maybe some day. We're booked next Nov. to Australia on the Statedam. Maybe eh.!! So, anyway would we need to take a cab to get to Walmart or the Westmore Plaza Mall. Dale Mabry Highway and I-275 looks a little too far, if my computer is correct. We didn't understand the PC thing (that's why it wasn't funny to us), but you can leave it alone we don't need to understand. Really hope no one is upset with us going to Walmart, it's my wife's favourite store here in Canada.

Hey Ken,

Welcome back. :)

Saw you were not around for a while and just tried to help. Hope I did.

Jeff

PS: Wife was in Arizona a few weeks ago setting up a new flight simulator for the army...she said it's a dry heat. 110 degrees. She also said it is hot as .......

Jessemon - That's right, it's a "dry heat" for sure. It's rather dry inside my oven too. :) That "dry heat" nonsense stands among the biggest myths ever. I saw a tee shirt at the hotel that said "Arizona - It's a Dry Heat." That's true, but... Glad to see you involved here. I write here a lot, but I like to see others throwing in their dimes worth too.

Masterbaker - The break-ins and theft at the cruise terminal parking garage was a year or so ago (maybe two, time flies). I think a security guard was goofing off or something, and some low-lifes got in and broke into a bunch of cars. The Port Authority folks took good care of the victims. The garage at Channelside (Terminals 2 and 3 - Carnival and RCI) and the open lot at Terminal 6 (used mostly by Holland America) are both secure. The open lot has high fences around it and lots of lighting. It is also said to have security. I've never heard of problems at the open lot. The parking garage just down the street at Channelside is secured and has ceiling high chain link partitions in it to separate the temporary users from the long term parking side used by the cruisers. It's gated, fenced, and patrolled. It was $10 a day the last time I used it. Not sure if there has been an increase, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'll be parking my SUV down there for two weeks in Nov '06, and I've parked there in the past. It doesn't take but one incident like I mentioned below, and once it runs through the gossip and rumor mill, it will sound like a severe ongoing problem - something that I'm not aware of. If anyone knows of another rash of break-ins down there that I don't know about, please tell us.

There are several pictures of the open lot at Terminal 6 and the parking garage in my Tampa photo album at the Yahoo link in my signature block.

Crime Prevention Tips (While the risk may be low, why temp fate?):

• Don't leave anything worth stealing in the car when you leave it at the garage.
  • Never, and I mean never leave a TITLE to a motor vehicle in an unattended car. Titles belong in lock boxes at home, or in a safe deposit box at the bank. I don't know of a state that requires a title to be in the car (just a registration).
  • Since the car won't be on the road, take your registration with you too. No sense in telling the thief where you live. If they find your address on your registration, they can go to your house, knowing that you are certainly out of town for a long while. Anyone that will break in a car, will break in a house.
  • Never leave a hidden key in or on your car. If you think you are fooling crooks, you are only fooling yourself. If you can think of a crafty place to hide the key, chances are they can too.
  • If you have a removable radio/sound system, take it and put it in your bags.
  • Last, but not least, lock the car. Some thieves can make a good living by going into unlocked cars at the mall parking lot. There are so many sitting around, that there's no need to break glass.

If you follow these tips, and the crooks manage to get into the secure area, hopefully all you will have to deal with is broken glass.

Time to go outside in the "wet heat" here in Central FL and work in the yard.

Later,

Ken

Ken, thanks for the complete discription of the parking facilities at the port of Tampa. I really appreciate your reply. My DH and I discussed the parking and since nothing of value will be in the car, we will just park there and not worry about it. If for some reason it is vandalized, that is what we have insurance for.

Thanks again from one Floridian to another. ;)

Ken, Thanks for all your imput. Just spent most of a Sunday afternoon and feel like I live in Tampa? ;) We are staying at Springhill suites, and taking 3 kids to Busch Gardens Sat, before cruise. I have printed of Hartline map and times. seems simple enough. Safe ride on a Satarday morning I presume? Some of these vans charge $90 U.S. one way from hotel to port. Would it be cheaper to call a couple cabs.

"BOARDS" If you read this, we have same plans etc. i.e. Walmart to pick up case of bottle water and kids stuff, diapers before cruise, and same hotel I think. let me know here or e mail as to how it all works for you. Thanks.

Miricle 4/12/05

Colton's Dad, we would glad to share with you how things go with us, but it appears we will be just missing each other. We are on the Nov. 26th 14 day Veendam. We will be at the Springhill Nov. 24. We are from Windsor and my wife's brother lives in Orillia, not sure of the address tho. Have a great cruise and let us hear about your cruise, been thinking of trying the Carnival again.

Colton's dad - You can get a taxi from the airport to the port for $20, one way. If you get two cabs, that's $80 round trip, plus tips. It may be a little cheaper from Springhill Suites since it's closer than the airport. If you call Yellow Cab of Tampa, you can probably get a quote. If you are willing to share a ride with some other stops along the way, Super Shuttle or Tampa Bay Shuttle might be economical. As for Busch Gardens, it would cost a fortune to take a taxi up there from Springhill Suites. Busch Gardens is up on the NE corner of Tampa, and the area of the Springhill Suites is way out on the far W side by the airport. The Hartline bus is probably by far the most economical way to do it. Since you won't have much with you going to Busch Gardens, it should be quite easy.

Ken

happysails2U - Busch Gardens isn't anywhere near the Sheraton Suites Airport. Sheraton Suites is on Cypress just E of Westshore Blvd in the Westshore Business District, and about a mile from the airport. That area is OK. It's about 5 miles from the Sheraton to Busch Gardens (in a straight line), and more by road.

You are correct, the Busch Gardens area is not a safe place to say. By this, I mean hotels/motels along Busch Blvd near Busch Gardens, and the surrounding neighborhoods. "Near" means within about 1/2-1 mile of Busch Gardens on Busch Blvd. There are some nice hotels on E. Fowler Avenue around 30th St, which are a couple of miles away and relatively safe. I woudn't stay around Busch Gardens if the room was free. Urban sprawl has overtaken the area of Busch Gardens. When it was new, it was a nice area, but that's changed over the years, considerably. If someone wants to stay near Busch Gardens, stay up on E. Fowler Avenue.

I'm not familiar with the Double Tree near Busch Gardens or exactly where it is located. I do not that they usually have nice hotels (like Allis154 said), and I'd be surprised to find one in the trashy area close to Busch Gardens.

Ken