Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

This must be the longest and most informative thread ever! Thanks for all your knowledge, especially Ken! That's why I'm asking you if we should stay in Clearwater (or there abouts) or would there be a problem getting to Tampa Sun AM? We're renting a car and going down 2 days early. Also is there a rental agency at the cruise terminal to drop off the car? Thanks again!

Welcome to Tampa. Staying in Clearwater or there abouts you will have no problem getting to the port of Tampa. As far as the rental and the port goes, there is no drop off there. But, "WherewillIgonext's" post #486 on this thread has found that several car rental agencies will take you to the port and then pick you up and take you back to the airport. Check it out.

Just returned from Miracle Dec 4-11, We stayed at the Spinghill Suites Airport. It was wonderful. From calling for shuttle which arrived in minutes, (we had 3 adults-3 kids) . There were a couple large groups of teens in hotel, not sure if bands for holiday parade or school trips. They were quiet after eleven (our room ground floor of 6 , next to pool) , and security seemed to be on to them . Never heard a plane, We stayed 3 days pre cruise and I walked the 1.5 blocks from hotel to ez car rental for van which was by far best rate and ez. Did Busch Gardens which bettered expectations.weather was near 80 so outdoor pool used. Did a quick run to one of two malls near by, Was plenty there to replace or stock for cruise, ie water, diapers etc, wallgrens across street. 10 minute walk. Also did a drive over to Clear Water. Sat., passed Chase suites and was happy we were closer to town, there is not much way out there, and Clearwater beach was a place we would do a day at next time. Breakfast buffet was largest and best I have had, (waffles, bagels,yogart, fruit cups, etc, ) and a big screen and fireplace to watch the snow pile up back up north? It was $20 to port in cab. and also stayed one night post cruise. The shuttle ran us over to International mall , wow very high end in my life.. Several posher resturants there, we did Chese cake Factory. still eating doggy bags , ha. $10 got us a van taxi back back. Not a bad thing to say about Tampa trip, except leave extra time seems travel threw town on interstates and to Clear water etc, always had jams, ( to many hummers we thought) LOL. Enjoy and feel free to ask , I will try and check back soon.:)

Great feedback! I stayed at Best Western Westshore 2 years ago, but would not recommned it. Great website, but is a little run down. Breakfeast buffett was less than appetizing.

We are staying at the Wyndham Westshore this spring.... Anybody stay there? Any feedback to share. Great to know what you are going to

Thanks

NEW CRUISER HERE! and man do we need help! I've been reading the hotel threads and am now a little nervous! We just need something reasonable for a couple nights post cruise, without having to pack any heat! HELP!:confused:

Try the Springhill Suites, we got in for less than $100 a night late Nov.

NEW CRUISER HERE! and man do we need help! I've been reading the hotel threads and am now a little nervous! We just need something reasonable for a couple nights post cruise, without having to pack any heat! HELP!:confused:

Our rate was $100 +12 %tax for the one night. and on the Fri/Sat it was some 2 night special $79 +12% a night at SringHill Suites, see previous post for review

Temple TerriaceArea? I booked a room at the Marriott Risidence Inn on Morris Bridge Rd. which is in Temple Terrace. Is this a bad area? I know it is a little far from the port, but for the $62 per night I thought it was worth it.

I think I was wrong. At least I can cancell it. But please give me some feedback about this location before I go ahead and do this.

Thanks I appreciate this a lot!!

Great info for Tampa hotels here. I've tried to read through this wealth of information and have definitely gotten some good pointers; however, we are looking for a recommendation for a beach hotel after our cruise in February for a couple of nights. Like the others, having never been to Tampa, I'm lost. Any areas and/or hotels to recommend or not recommend on the beaches?

Ken,

How about the Howard Johnsons on 3314 S Dale Mabry Hwy? I will be by myself and just looking for a place to crash and hopefully eat before going to the port for my cruise. Most of the other hotels are really expensive in February when all I want to do is stay for one night. Otherwise there is the Clarion hotel tampa westshore and best western tampa that also are not too far from the port and are under $100.00. I apologize if you have mentioned these somewhere above but the thread has gotten so big it is hard to remember. Thanks greatly! Greg

Cracker Ken or anyone else with knowledge of the Tampa area - we will be staying in Tampa March 25th for 1 night. When I booked our cruise, my TA said we should stay in Ybor city so I made a reservation at the Hampton Inn/Downtown/Ybor City. I really would like to experience Ybor city and at the time, I was hoping to get a flight that would get us into Tampa in the morning so we'd have the afternoon and evening in Ybor City. As it turns out, we won't even land at TPA until 3:15. I figure it will be dinnertime by the time we get settled into the hotel. How crazy is Ybor City on a Sat. night? We will have our 2 teenagers (age 15 & 17) with us. Do you think it's too crazy for teens? Today I also made a reservation at the Embassy Suites Airport/Westshore. Some of the people on our roll call are staying there and it's possible that we could meet them Sat. night for drinks. So now I have reservations at 2 hotels and can't make up my mind. Anyone have an opinion on either of these choices? Thanks.

Hi

Just got back from 14 day HAL out of Tampa and stayed at ES Westshore. The rooms are HUGE. They converted a non-suite Hotel to suites by converting the bath of one to a kitchen, making that room a living room, and putting an adjoining door to the other bedroom with bath.

No Atrium, but cocktail hour was fine, breakfast was great. Even ate in their restaurant that night, and food was good.

No shuttle to the pier, but I split a taxi with a couple and the fare for all three with tips totaled $20. so that was a $10 trip.

I have friends going down in January, and they are looking for something cheaper than ES. Anyone have any know on Comfort Inn Tampa Airport?

Just wanted to pass on our review of Chase Suite Hotel in Tampa. We stayed for one night Dec 2nd before our cruise on the Legend of the Seas. We booked a one bedroom suite with the Ship to Shore package for $139.00US. They were very prompt at picking us up at the airport once we arrived, the shuttle was there in less than 10 minutes. There was a courtesy phone at the airport that had there telephone number programmed in it.

We were a family of 4 and the one bedroom suite was roomy enough for the 4 of us. It had two double beds and a pull out sofa bed. Room was clean and bathroom area large.

We were grateful we had gone with the ship to shore package as it also included shuttle service that will take you to wherever you need to go within a 5 mile radius. My son's luggage did not make it to Tampa on our flight. The staff at Chase was great at suggesting the appropriate mall to shop at for a 15 yr old boy. The shuttle took us to the mall to shop for all his clothes, a drug store and liquor store.

The package also included the breakfast buffet. There was cereal, juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, yogurt, fruit, cereal both hot and cold, hard boiled eggs and a waffle maker.

The shuttle then took us to the port to board the ship. Once we returned we just had to call the hotel and the shuttle was sent to pick us up and drive us to the airport. Just a side note, it was difficult to find a phone at the port once we returned.

We thought the package was a great value and it saved the hastle of calling taxi's.

We would book there again if we ever sail out of Tampa again. Also enjoyed the Bahama Breeze restaurant for dinner, it is right beside Chase!

Hi

Just got back from 14 day HAL out of Tampa and stayed at ES Westshore. The rooms are HUGE. They converted a non-suite Hotel to suites by converting the bath of one to a kitchen, making that room a living room, and putting an adjoining door to the other bedroom with bath.

No Atrium, but cocktail hour was fine, breakfast was great. Even ate in their restaurant that night, and food was good.

No shuttle to the pier, but I split a taxi with a couple and the fare for all three with tips totaled $20. so that was a $10 trip.

QUOTE]

Hi Docksider21-

Thanks for your review!

We are going to be staying at the ES on Jan 6th & we will have two children along. Wondering if you could tell me how the pool area is? Do you happen to have any photos you'd mind emailing me? cruisegirl29@charter.net

We have a group of 10 so I'm wondering how we should cab it to the port? Probably a van cab could fit most of us. Kids could sit on our laps.....

Sue

Cruisegirl29

I did not use the pool facilities. It is an outdoor pool. It looked quite nice. The restaurant has a patio and balcony which is on the roof of the port cochere. You can see the pool from the balcony, and if I remember, there are stairs down to it. Or go down to the lobby and under the port cochere to the pool.

With luggage and 10 people, you will need two cabs. I must advise against kids on laps in event of accident. And it is likely against Florida law, and the driver may not take you.

It is across the street from a HUGE mall. I understand that the mall have a movie theatre, so there is another kid activity. I has a Sears (last minute stuff) and I believe it has a Walgreens.

The pick-up at the airport was relatively prompt. But I think they have only one shuttle van, so you will need to call, email, etc in advance to be sure of the arrangements, so part of you will be left at the airport while he runs back and forth.

For the adults, the cocktail bartender poured it on. Even remembered what everyone was drinking. And was sure to pour an "extra" right at closing time.

The room service menu was reasonable for hotel prices, BUT do not order the pizza. Not that it is bad, but a couple ordered it thinking they would split it. It turned out to be a mini-pizza.

Again, the breakfast was good and HUGE, omelettes and eggs to order, pancakes, make-your-own waffles, cold cerals including the kid kind, juice, fruit, sweets, etc etc.

We lef the hotel at 10:15 am. Was at the pier in plenty of time, even before all of the HAL agents were at their check-in point, was aboard ship at noon.

Hi,

I am posting on this very long Tampa thread with a question about whether I should stay in the Doubletree or Embassy Suites for one night prior to my cruise. I picked these hotels since I have enough Hilton Honors points to cover the stay at either one. Does anyone know if these are located conveniently to get to the pier? I would appreciate any input?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am posting on this very long Tampa thread with a question about whether I should stay in the Doubletree or Embassy Suites for one night prior to my cruise. I picked these hotels since I have enough Hilton Honors points to cover the stay at either one. Does anyone know if these are located conveniently to get to the pier? I would appreciate any input?

Thanks!

I would pick Embassy Suites. I stayed at the Doubletree in November and was not impressed with the noise (highway) or smell!

Kit

Hi. Great thread and I am now over saturated with info. I am booked solo on the Ryndam 16April06 for the Panama Canal cruise and intend to arrive on 14April. Assuming I stay somewhere in the airport, cruise terminal or Ybor City area, how far is it and how would I get to Tropicana Field for a Devil Ray game without renting a car? Yes, I checked and they are in town playing the Royals. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Wow - Too much info. I'm getting lost in the details. I've searched the thread but did not see anything about where we have picked to stay.

I would like to hear from anyone who knows about the Best Western at 734 South Dale Mabry. Is it in a "safe" part of town.:confused:

We have to pay in Canadian dollars so even a hotel at $110 a night is closer to $160 Canadian when all is said and done.:mad:

Because Canadian winter weather can sometimes close airports, we like to come down a day before the cruise so as not to risk missing the boat ( so to speak). Early flight departure time gets us up in the middle of the night, so we arrive kind of groggy and just want a clean, safe place to sleep for a night.

Thanks

Sailing on Veendam. March 11th - Back to back cruises. Can't wait (especially since it is 10 below outside just now)

onbec, I believe we stayed at that Best Western about 5 yrs ago. I know we stayed on Dale Mabry. The room was nothing special; we paid $40. To be honest, we got there at 10 pm, went to bed, the kids went down and got doughnuts & juice the next morning, we checked out adn headed to the pier. I know that is not much help, but at least it didnt leave me with any bad memories!

We will be sailing out of Tampa on 1/28/2006 and staying the night before in Rocky Point.Just wondering if anyone has any info on about any traffic/road closures,ect.that would cause us problems getting to the port early(about 11am) due to the Pirates Parades.We plan on using the hotel shuttle.Any info would be helpful.Thanks!:)

HEY BIGGER BOB:

Would say that the area around the Chase is safe? Are there any gas stations or convenient stores nearby to pick up soft drinks to take on cruise?

You have given great details. I just wanted a few more. I know the airport shuttle is free but I wonder what they charge for a ride to the pier? (no package deal.)

I stayed at the SpringHill Marriott last Oct. but my dates this year are not weekend dates and the price went up over $40. per night!! So I am now looking for another hotel under $100.

Thanks so much!! Deb C.