Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

We stayed at the Sailport Suites in Tampa 3 nights before our cruise. . . .

Thanks for the info. You don't mention it, but I assume they allowed you to leave your car with them while you cruised.

We stayed on Rocky Point too, at the (formerly Radisson) Bay Harbor hotel. Even though these hotels don't advertise a shuttle to the cruise port....they all seemed to have one. The hotel shuttle driver was soliciting cruise passengers in the lobby as we were checking out. Best suggestion would be to call.

We rented a car from National, returned it at the airport. They had a free shuttle to the port. :)

• 1 year later...
Our last stay in Rocky Point, there was a small convenience store within walking distance of the Holiday Inn. They didn't offer much, though. I would recommend you use their free shuttle to go to Walgreens. Bahama Breeze is right next door.

HI~!!! I am looking into staying at HIEXPRESS in October this year!!! at rocky pointe... have you stayed there? Is it nice and are they dependable with the transportation? ALso, it says they will take you to the mall and area places? Is that accurate? The price seems reasonable. Is it good to call them and have them pick up and deliver you back to the airport after the ship

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

There hasn't been any action on this thread for a while. We are arriving in Tampa post cruise and want a nice hotel that will have easy access from the pier and to the airport the next day. Shuttles would be nice, but not required. Prefer that it was not in an industrial area so we have restaurant choices - a beach would be an added plus! Some place nice to wind down after a long cruise and before boarding a long flight. Alot of the posts on this thread are older - and much could have changed with the hotels that are mentioned here. Any updated info for me? First time ever in Tampa.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking for some advice from you more experienced cruisers!! :)

I am flying in the night before my cruise in June. My friend will be dropping her rental car off at the airport the next day. I am not sure what would be best, so try to find a hotel with free airport shuttles, free port shuttles, to have her pick me up and then pay the 25 each to the port and back as we both fly out upon disembarkation, or just priceline it and see what my options are then (priceline now vs later)...too many options!

Any advice would be appreciated!:)

Who is she renting with and do they offer free shuttles to the port? :confused: I know National and some others do. Stay near the TPA airport, have her pick you up on her way to return the car and then both of you can use the shuttle to get to the port.

Good luck! :)

• 7 months later...

We stayed at the Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport. We booked it through hot wire dot com for $61 a night. They rate it 3 1/2 stars. It had a shuttle to the airport - only a few miles away. For a quiet place to crash the night before a flight it worked great. Large, clean suite suite size rooms. If you were staying long it wouldn't be as appealing since it has an indoor pool and isn't near the ocean.

Edited by cyberjoys

• 2 months later...
There hasn't been any action on this thread for a while. We are arriving in Tampa post cruise and want a nice hotel that will have easy access from the pier and to the airport the next day. Shuttles would be nice, but not required. Prefer that it was not in an industrial area so we have restaurant choices - a beach would be an added plus! Some place nice to wind down after a long cruise and before boarding a long flight. Alot of the posts on this thread are older - and much could have changed with the hotels that are mentioned here. Any updated info for me? First time ever in Tampa.

If you want a hotel overlooking the water, try one in the Rocky Point area. Hampton, Holiday Inn and Chase Suites Rocky Point have a cruise pkg with round trip shuttle. After grabbing your luggage, just call the hotel and if there is not already a shuttle in route, they will send one to pick you up. ( they keep the shuttles running on cruise day so very little wait time) There is a Bahama Breeze restaurant located between the three hotels. The Holiday Inn has a much nicer pool area and view than the Hampton and the Chase Suites offer studio, one and two bedroom suites, water view and nice pools. It just boils down to rates etc... as they are all decent hotels is a very nice upscale area. All of these hotels have a free breakfast and free airport shuttle.

** We have stayed at the Holiday Inn RP twice but I would not hesitate to stay in either of the three hotels based upon rates. If the pool and view are an important factor to you than I would put the Hampton last on the list only because their pool is very, very small and overlooks the parking lot. The Holiday Inn pool overlooks the Bay and is much bigger and nicer, same with the Chase Suites.

I have not stayed there, but I believe that the Best Western Bay View has a small beach area with an adjacent beach bar type restaurant. This hotel is on the opposite side of Rocky Point but I do not believe that they have a port shuttle so you would need to figure in about a $25 taxi ride. http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/FL/Tampa-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Bay-Harbor-Hotel/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=10378

There is also a Westin Rocky Point that has a very nice beach area, but again, no port shuttle. They have a restaurant or two on site or a walk down to the Bahama Breeze.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1505

Good luck to you.

:)

Edited by Hoosiercouple

We will be driving to Tampa and are looking for a place to stay the night before the cruise who will shuttle us to the port and back and let us leave our car for free. Is that too much to hope for?

Lots of hotels have a shuttle to the port but there are only 3, that I know of, that have the return shuttle that will take you to the airport or back to the hotel for your car or a post-cruise stay. They are: The Holiday Inn Rocky Point, Hampton RP and Chase Suites RP.

:)

• 9 months later...

Will be spending 2 nights post cruise in Tampa area. We would like a beach front hotel, not crazy expensive as we will priceline. Our question is Clearwater beach or st Pete's beach? Will be flying out of Tampa airport so looking at logistics. Any advice would be appreciated.

Will be spending 2 nights post cruise in Tampa area. We would like a beach front hotel, not crazy expensive as we will priceline. Our question is Clearwater beach or st Pete's beach? Will be flying out of Tampa airport so looking at logistics. Any advice would be appreciated.

We have stayed several times at the Alden All Suites on St.Pete Beach. Great views, great hotel and the beach is somewhat more serene than Clearwater beach.

http://www.aldenbeachresort.com/

The hotel is a straight shot over the Howard Franklin Bridge from Tampa into St.Pete, then down a few miles to the Pinellas Bayway exit.

• 11 months later...

hey Ken, I need info on this hotel-Ramada tampa airport Westshore. Is it safe area and should I keep my car there for a week or at the port? The reviews are mixed 3,s and lower.Tthey did a reno but im not how nice the rms are.They charge for the transport to port 10 dollars pp per way. I feel this is too high. Taxi cheaper or shuttle service? tks for any help. 2nd time in ur great city.

hey Ken, I need info on this hotel-Ramada tampa airport Westshore. Is it safe area and should I keep my car there for a week or at the port? The reviews are mixed 3,s and lower.Tthey did a reno but im not how nice the rms are.They charge for the transport to port 10 dollars pp per way. I feel this is too high. Taxi cheaper or shuttle service? tks for any help. 2nd time in ur great city.

I'm not familiar with this specific property, but hotels in the Westshore and Rocky Point areas are the most popular on this board with cruisers looking for parking deals. Taxi to the port should run about $25+tip -- $10 per person is only a deal if you are solo or there are only 2 travelling, and then you are giving up convenience to save a few $$.

I am flying down to Tampa Feb 12, 2016 and boarding the Brilliance on Feb 13. I have never been to Tampa and want to stay in a hotel close to the water. I would rather not spend over 175 dollars for one night. I am looking for recommendations on where to stay. I also am looking at different transportation options...I hate smoke and so if I was to take a taxi I would want one that has no smoke in it...once I asked that and was laughed at to my face. When I went on a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale I rented a limo just for the no smoking aspect. I do have AAA and am part of different special discount groups including mariott rewards and spg. Also is an issue that I am planning far in advance (my normal) and I cannot even view availability for the dates I am going to be there. I did book a room but after reading reviews I am not sure I want to stay there...Please help...

I am flying down to Tampa Feb 12, 2016 and boarding the Brilliance on Feb 13. I have never been to Tampa and want to stay in a hotel close to the water. I would rather not spend over 175 dollars for one night. I am looking for recommendations on where to stay. I also am looking at different transportation options...I hate smoke and so if I was to take a taxi I would want one that has no smoke in it...once I asked that and was laughed at to my face. When I went on a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale I rented a limo just for the no smoking aspect. I do have AAA and am part of different special discount groups including mariott rewards and spg. Also is an issue that I am planning far in advance (my normal) and I cannot even view availability for the dates I am going to be there. I did book a room but after reading reviews I am not sure I want to stay there...Please help...

Tampa sits on the Bay not the Gulf so even though there are a few waterside hotels, they will not be actual Gulf of Mexico beach front.

There are two that I am aware of that have a beach sand type area, water toy rentals and a beautiful view of the Bay.

1) The Best Western Bay Harbor-Rocky Point. - each room has a private balcony , which is a nice perk for enjoying the sunset or just relaxing. ---- just make sure to request a bayside view...... high floor if possible. They have a beach bar with entertainment...... it is a fun place. If you enjoy quiet, then ask for a room away from the beach bar area and pool.

2) The Westin Rocky Point- I have not stayed here but by driving by, it does look very nice. Beachy area, water toy rentals etc..

The following three are on the water but no beach sand entrance. There would be either a seawall or a dock. You would still get the view, just not able to get your feet wet.

4) The Holiday Inn Rocky Point- Good cruise pkg, clean rooms, nice pool area, good breakfast and organized port shuttle.

5) The Hampton Rocky Point- Ditto on the above

6) Chase Suites Rocky Point- ditto on the cruise pkg.

***** Out of the 5 hotels above, I have stayed at the Best Western Bay View and the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point.

The view and overall experience goes to the Best Western..... probably due to the private balcony. I have not used their cruise pkg here as it was just a long weekend get-away.

For pre-cruise I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point twice- no problems what so ever...... none.. airport shuttle, clean rooms, great hot breakfast and organized shuttle to and from the port of Tampa.

Rocky Point is a decent area so you would be hard pressed to find any bad hotel here. The island is surrounded by water and it is mainly a corporate and hotel area...... some condos but not many. It is located 5 min from the airport and a 15 min shutte or taxi ride to the port.

******* The Best Western, Holiday Inn , Hampton and Chase Suites all have cruise pkgs so that makes things convenient. The shuttles were all non-smoking. I am not sure if the Westin has a cruise pkg or not so you may want to inquire. A taxi would be in the $25-30 range to the port.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

• 4 months later...

The Marriott Courtyard on Cypress Ave has a cruise package- stay a night and leave the car up to 14 nights plus the shuttle to/from the port is included. The cost in August was about 139- tax included.

Place has a beautiful pool and free breakfast. It's about a mile+ south of Raymond James Stadium.

Courtyard Tampa Westshore/Airport or something like that.

Michael

Edited by Michael Scott