Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Harbor Island is a great location, downtown Tampa, close to the pier. Walk across the bridge and take the trolly to Channelside. Lots of restaurants, bowling, entertainment. Across the street from Channelside is the Florida Aquarium. If you continue on the trolly get off at Ybor City. Its the Centro Ybor stop. Lots to do, comedy club, Greek Trattoria, plenty of restaurants, movie theater and of course cigar stores!

The stand out thing to do is have dinner at the Columbia restaurant. Good food, lots of atmosphere and live flemenco dancers and music.

Let me know if you need more info.

Mark

Thanks I really appreciate the info. I used to live in Tampa but that was almost 24 years ago and frankly I really don't remember much. One last (maybe) question if you don't mind, how far is it from this hotel to the pier? We're not heavy packers and were wondering is it a long walk? Thanks again!

If you take the north bridge off the Island and no bags, its a 10 minute walk at most. With bags take a taxi! The hotel has its own shuttle buses. See if they will give you a free transfer!. Your going on a cruise, and staying at a great hotel. Take a taxi if you have too! Its only about $5.

If you take the north bridge off the Island and no bags, its a 10 minute walk at most. With bags take a taxi! The hotel has its own shuttle buses. See if they will give you a free transfer!. Your going on a cruise, and staying at a great hotel. Take a taxi if you have too! Its only about $5.

Thanks again, we'll grab a cab if we can't get a shuttle from the hotel.

check out the chase suites and hotel right there on rocky point, they have free shuttle service to and from the port and free parking if you drove for your car as well.

I don't know if it's just my luck or what that whenever I call, either things have changed or I don't get these deals. Chase looks like a great place to stay but they do not have free shuttles to the port, only the airport. I can't find any hotels with free port shuttles.

I don't know if it's just my luck or what that whenever I call, either things have changed or I don't get these deals. Chase looks like a great place to stay but they do not have free shuttles to the port, only the airport. I can't find any hotels with free port shuttles.

I checked Chase Suites too and you are correct. The Hampton Inn Rocky Point and Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point have free shuttles to both the airport and cruiseport. When you book you have to ask for the cruise package. Of course the room rate is a bit higher than regular room rate. Both were less than Chase.

National/Alamo has a shuttle to the cruise port after you drop off the rental car. Probably other agencies do as well. So we don't really care about parking or a hotel shuttle. :D We are staying at the Radisson Bay Harbor Hotel, ($79) which is at Rocky Point and closer to the airport and car drop off pre-cruise.

Many of the hotels appear to have shuttles but they are not free, and you are going to pay a higher rate per night, especially if you are looking for parking and a shuttle.. :) Chase has a pre/post cruise package that includes parking and a shuttle.

National/Alamo has a shuttle to the cruise port after you drop off the rental car. Probably other agencies do as well. So we don't really care about parking or a hotel shuttle. :D We are staying at the Radisson Bay Harbor Hotel, ($79) which is at Rocky Point and closer to the airport and car drop off pre-cruise.

Many of the hotels appear to have shuttles but they are not free, and you are going to pay a higher rate per night, especially if you are looking for parking and a shuttle.. :) Chase has a pre/post cruise package that includes parking and a shuttle.

I actually got a room at Chase quoted at $129 and Hampton was $229! Neither with a port shuttle. The guy at Chase said they do have port shuttles for an extra fee but for 2 people we would be better of just getting a taxi.

Would you mind sharing with me where you were able to book the Radisson Bay Harbor Hotel for $79 ?

Thank you

I am staying at the Sheraton Suites Airport Hotel in September (I got it on Priceline for $55/night).

Does anyone know if there are restaurants within walking distance (something like a Denny's)? I know the Hotel has at least one (overpriced) restaurant.

Perhaps I can avoid getting a rental car.

Radisson Bay Harbor is through Priceline, buy it now, fully refundable price. I believe Priceline is quoting it through Lodging.com. :) EDIT: Priceline price is now $97/night.

$219 in January :(

Wondered if Embassy Suites Downtown may be a bad choice, since it appears that Carnival uses them and the Renaissance for pre-cruise hotel??:rolleyes: I can only picture 1000 people doing a 'day before' in Tampa, and swallowing up the free 'drinkies' the night before and 'made-to-order' breakfast in the AM!:eek:

The older I get, the less hassle I need... Maybe the Marriott Waterside should be my choice, as the price is about the same?? Any suggestions..:p Can just picture the crowd in the lobby in the AM before the cruise...;)

I actually got a room at Chase quoted at $129 and Hampton was $229! Neither with a port shuttle. The guy at Chase said they do have port shuttles for an extra fee but for 2 people we would be better of just getting a taxi.

That doesn't sound right. We have 4 people, one room, cruise package w/shuttles to/from airport and pier, at Hampton Inn Rocky Point for July 26 and it's $150.08 including taxes.

Both Embassy Suites and Mariott Waterside are comparable. They are both 5 minutes from the pier. If your worried about the transfers to the pier and worried about long lines, take a taxi for $5. Its less then a mile away. If you don't have much luggage, the trolly stops next to both hotels and stops right at the pier.

For the Sheraton Suites, its a really nice hotel. The meals aren't as pricey as other hotels. If you have one of those entertainment coupon books, there are 2 for 1 meal tickets.There is a Waffle House a few blocks away and Charlies Steak House is right next door. Pricey but fabulous! Lots of restaurants within 5 minutes

Hi Dave! We stayed at the Hampton Inn Rocky Point our last cruise out of Tampa. They picked us up at the airport and then later drove us around with their free shuttle for lunch and dinner and then we took a cab to the port the next day (we got the AAA rate). They also offer a package rate with shuttle to the port the next day. Breakfast is free no matter what rate you book, but they don't have free drinkies. They do have a Bahama Breeze restaurant right next door that is nice for dinner. It is a smaller hotel and Rocky Point is a nice area.

That doesn't sound right. We have 4 people, one room, cruise package w/shuttles to/from airport and pier, at Hampton Inn Rocky Point for July 26 and it's $150.08 including taxes.

I need a room January 9th for two of us. Prices are outrageous. I'm taking my chances on the Sailport Waterfront. A suite is only $99. I made a special request for a newly remodeled unit and they said they would honor my request. I believe this hotel does offer one of the nicest views in Tampa as every suite has a balcony. Oh well...it's only for one night and I really didn't want to pay $200.

Hi Dave! We stayed at the Hampton Inn Rocky Point our last cruise out of Tampa. They picked us up at the airport and then later drove us around with their free shuttle for lunch and dinner and then we took a cab to the port the next day (we got the AAA rate). They also offer a package rate with shuttle to the port the next day. Breakfast is free no matter what rate you book, but they don't have free drinkies. They do have a Bahama Breeze restaurant right next door that is nice for dinner. It is a smaller hotel and Rocky Point is a nice area.
Hi Barb!! Nice to 'see' you on the boards...and I see you have several cruises lined up! :) GREAT!

Still kicking around the Rocky Point area... We visited friends who stayed at the Days Inn there (I believe).. Nice area, and away from the hustle/bustle of the port/downtown area.:rolleyes: Friend and I stayed at the Sheraton Riverwalk at the time!

We are doing two days prior in June 2009! Want to spend a day in Tampa, but if I can get Rocky Point area at a good price, we can always cab or shuttle into Tampa for the day.. May work out better than a downtown hotel, where I have to pay cab fare from the airport!!:p

Hi Dave! I checked your June dates and Doubletree Suites is running $109. Not a bad deal for a suite, but no breakfast or drinkies. Still, a good deal for a suite, though. We had a suite at the Doubletree Suites overlooking the water a few cruises ago and it was an awesome view. We only booked the Hampton Inn last time as we got a great AAA rate (almost a typo). Check your AAA and AARP rates as sometimes they are really good. We've been loyal Hilton Honors members and they treat us pretty well.

Good luck with whatever you choose - we absolutely love sailing out of Tampa - my favorite port city to stay.

I see you are doing the Spirit out of Hawaii in 2010 - we loved that cruise! We'll be sailing with you in spirit!

:rolleyes: Friend and I stayed at the Sheraton Riverwalk at the time:p

Please tell me what you think about the Sheraton Riverwalk stay!! We won our pre-cruise stay for 70.00 per night. I see they have been doing a remodel. When did you stay there? Please, any info......sure would appreciate it!!!:) :) :)

:rolleyes: Friend and I stayed at the Sheraton Riverwalk at the time:p

Please tell me what you think about the Sheraton Riverwalk stay!! We won our pre-cruise stay for 70.00 per night. I see they have been doing a remodel. When did you stay there? Please, any info......sure would appreciate it!!!:) :) :)

I need a room January 9th for two of us. Prices are outrageous. I'm taking my chances on the Sailport Waterfront. A suite is only $99. I made a special request for a newly remodeled unit and they said they would honor my request. I believe this hotel does offer one of the nicest views in Tampa as every suite has a balcony. Oh well...it's only for one night and I really didn't want to pay $200.

sml 3 we were looking at Sailport Suites or the Tahitian Inn because I thought that Tampa seems to be quite pricey as well. We also need a balcony.

I did find something that I found helpful. Others probably know about it, but it was new to me! :D If you go to Trip Advisor and select a hotel, then click on "Check Rates on this Hotel" and turn off your pop-up blocker....their software will run the same hotel (for your dates) through just about ALL of the online travel sites including cheaptickets, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels, etc.etc. It paid off, in both dollars and time. :)

sml 3 we were looking at Sailport Suites or the Tahitian Inn because I thought that Tampa seems to be quite pricey as well. We also need a balcony.

I did find something that I found helpful. Others probably know about it, but it was new to me! :D If you go to Trip Advisor and select a hotel, then click on "Check Rates on this Hotel" and turn off your pop-up blocker....their software will run the same hotel (for your dates) through just about ALL of the online travel sites including cheaptickets, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels, etc.etc. It paid off, in both dollars and time. :)

That's good to know, thanks for the tip. I've booked the Sailport. The balcony and view are great selling points. I requested in writing that I receive a newly remodeled unit and they have replied that my request will be granted. If you decide to stay there, let me know how it is. It is only for one night but I've got to have clean.

I noticed when you first posted for info, but its been 5 years since I was there! :eek: We enjoyed our stay, and were upgraded to a 'riverview', tho' the river isn't much more than a canal...:rolleyes: We enjoyed watching the small boats and rowing crews, tho'..

Hotel was nice then, and I'm sure it is still OK, tho' I have no personal experience except for our stay in 2003!!:p

Barb, what site are you using to get those dates at the Doubletree...??

Barb, what site are you using to get those dates at the Doubletree...??
Hey! I found it... :) I checked everything out and found I could book the 2 room suite (no special view), for 2 days at $107.99 per day! Nothing much included, except airport pickup, but I can't go wrong at those rates!!:D I can grab a cab to the pier when we leave on Sunday!!:p

With the $$$ I saved, I may be able to treat the DW and DS to dinner at Shula's, but if I'm not mistaken, there is a really good 'rib/bbq place' close by too...;) YUM!!!

ps: The hotel is the Doubletree Suites on Rocky Point!!:cool: Rate was for 2 double beds... 2 adults and 1 child, tho' he turns 18 in October!:o

The Sailport is a nice older property, in a great location. Great views of Tampa Bay and its kept nice and clean. The Sheraton Riverside is still under refurbishment but should not be a problem. The location is great, near the trolly and close to the pier and Channelside. Shulas Steak house is not near Rocky Point. Its at the Intercontinental on Kennedy Blvd. about 15 minutes away. The Bar b Que joint was at the Radisson on Rocky Point but that has been replaced by Crabby Bills Seafood restaurant. Not so good in my humble opinion. At least not at that location. The good news is your close to Landrys Seafood, The Rusty Pelican and Bahama Breeze. There are many many restaurants within 15 minutes. And dont forget Tampa is a very ethnic city with lots of great cuisine from many locations. Let me know what you like and I'll be happy to send you in the right direction.

Most important, Have a great time on your cruises. Its all good!!:)

Mark