Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

COLandlocked- About 1 1/2 hrs from Tampa to Disney is correct, if there are no traffic jams. E. bound on I-4 out of Tampa in the morning isn't bad, but getting to the "Malfunction Junction" in downtown Tampa from the W. side of town can often be a real pain (on week day mornings - easy on weekend days). If you were to wait until about 9AM before heading out of Tampa, you should be OK. There is an area on I-4 just to the W. of the Disney area where they are expanding the roadway to 3 lanes. At the point where the freshly constructed 3 lanes drops back to 2, there are backups during the day, depending on the time of day. The winter months aren't too bad down here, but it isn't always hot. I like Disney during the cooler months. It can be awful over there during the hots months.

As for hotels - There's a very nice Grand Hyatt on the W. side of the Tampa International Airport. Extremely nice hotel, right on the waters edge. Not far from nice places to eat, and they have some nice (and rather pricey) restuarants in the hotel. There is a high rise Marriott on Westshore Blvd just S. of the airport, close to a couple of malls and some decent restaurants too. Both have airport shuttles, but you will need a cab (about $20-$25) to get to the ship. If you have a rental, you will have to turn it in at the airport and take a taxi to the ship (same price range). If you go to the Grand Hyatt, ask them if you can get a room facing the bay. Great views. If you face the East, you will be overlooking the airport and Tampa.

Ken

Craker Ken,

Thanks for the advice. We will be going to Disney on a Sunday as our cruise leaves on Monday. So hopefully traffic will not be that bad and it is January so hopefully the weather will be kind to us and not that hot.

I will look into the Grand Hyatt. If I might just ask, is this the hotel you would recommend if it were not for points? My husband also suggested the Residence Inn Downtown as the kids could have their own room. Is this a bad choice?

Thanks again and I can't wait to begin our trip!

Melissa

We will be staying at the Garnd Hyatt soon and I would like to know if I will be able to walk to the International Plaza? I know from Map Blast it is a couple of miles but I do not want to walk were there is not sidewalk.

Second seating

Absolutely not. No sidewalks...and traffic beyond belief. Call Hyatt and ask if they will shuttle you there. 5 minute ride at most.

COLandlocked- Without your points, Grand Hyatt would be a pricey place. If it's within budget, I'd still recommend it. The Residence Inn downtown is OK too. That area of town is dead on the weekend and after work hours during the week, since it's in the downtown business area. I don't think there are any restaurants within walking distance that are open on the weekend. If there are, it would be several blocks. The Channelside complex is on the other side of the downtown area, and that's where the cruise terminals are. It's a nice place with shops, restaurants, night clubs, etc. If you were to stay out near the airport, there's all kinds of restaurant possibilities reasonably close and easy to find. Some people like the Chase Suites on Rocky Point W. of the airport, and it used to be a Residence Inn at one time. You could have a separate room for the kids there, it isn't a high end place, and is reasonably priced. They will also take you to the port (but make sure to make those arrangements up front when you book, and do it by phone), or it could be better for you to drop the car and take a taxi to the port. You could also drop the car the night before the cruise and take a cab back to the Chase Suites, and then use their transport van to get to the port.

Jessemon - I agree with you completely about looking up things on the thread. Some folks are too busy I guess. My index reference idea may be a good thing, if I get time to mess with it. BTW - I'll let you fill in for me here for a couple of weeks. We are leaving Sunday on Carnival Liberty out of Ft L'dale, then we return on 11/26 and move over to Celebrity Century for 9 more days. I'll be in touch when we get back. Have fun!:)

Ken

Craker Ken,

Thank you...for taking the time to help me...for not getting upset about the same ole questions (and yes I did read the ENTIRE thread, but after the first couple of pages it all goes together in the old head!!), and most of all, being there for newbees like me.

I hope you enjoy your cruises and have wonderful weather where ever you are!

Melissa

Jessemon - I agree with you completely about looking up things on the thread. Some folks are too busy I guess. My index reference idea may be a good thing, if I get time to mess with it. BTW - I'll let you fill in for me here for a couple of weeks. We are leaving Sunday on Carnival Liberty out of Ft L'dale, then we return on 11/26 and move over to Celebrity Century for 9 more days. I'll be in touch when we get back. Have fun!:)

Ken

Hey Ken,

I will try to help. I might not be as "Plant City" as you are.;)

We have friends who are going to be back on Sunday on the Liberty. Hope you have a great time. Then the Century BTB with this. That is down right mean. Wife has been out of town most of the year. We did 3 cruises last year and get to do one this year.:mad:

I will try to help as much as I can while you are away. You really should find a way for folks using this thread to look through it to find what they are looking for. It seems it is easier for some not to look and to ask than to look and learn. I love looking up my own info. But like you said, my life might not be that busy...right.

I will be as Polk County as possible.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!

JEFF/JESSEMOM:D

tkvalley - This hotel is at Cypress St. and Westshore Blvd, not very far from the airport. It was formerly a Crowne Plaza Hotel (high end of the Holiday Inn chain). I've been in there for meetings or conferences in the past, when it was a Crowne Plaza. It's a really nice place. Several floors, with hotel style inside entry to room. They are currently marketing a lot to business travelers, etc. It's only a couple of blocks from Westshore Plaza Mall and restaurants. This is in the Westshore Business District of Tampa, and a relatively safe and clean area of town.

Ken

thanks Cracker Ken,

I have another question....... If you were to chose between Chase Suites and Sailport. Which one would you chose??????????

Chase has a 2 br suite with transfers for 4 adults and 2 kids for 169.00 noc. Sailport has a 1br with transfers 124.00 noc, 2br 149.00 without transfers.

Also any other ideas about a hotel for 4 adults and 2 kids in a room all togeather? with transfers.

Man this is hard, you dont know what the hotels are like or anything and have to stay there one night before the cruise.

Thanks

Chris

Cracker Ken,

You gave me very good advice earlier this year when I got booked into the Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore for my pre-cruise. This next time (for the Easter 2006 cruise), I am booked in the Wyndham Westshore. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks!

Sheila

FYI: Car rentals

Just wanted everyone to know I verified with, Avis, Alamo, and National they WILL provide FREE shuttle service to and from the port if renting a car with them. We are renting a car day before cruise, day in between the 2nd cruise, and return day for we have 8 hours before flight home. This way we can enjoy the beach the last day have transportation, and place to store luggage. Hope this helps everyone in their transportation decision.

Kim

Hi Ken, I will be driving to Tampa from Gaineville for our cruise next month. Can you tell me the best (least traffic) way to get to the port from I-75. Thanks

I would at the moment and for the next year or so take I-75 to I-4 west. The question is after that which exit to take. You can take the 50th street exit and go south (left) to Rt. 60 and go west (right). A little more of a drive through town but it avoids traffic at malfunction junction. Follow Rt. 60/Adamo Blvd. Stay on it and you will see th signs for the cruise terminals before a two lane left turn. Or, I-4 to exit 1 (Ybor City) 22nd ST.. Head south (left) to RT. 60 /Adamo and take a right. Follow signs to cruise terminals.

Hope this helps.

Jeff/Jessemon

FYI: Car rentals

Just wanted everyone to know I verified with, Avis, Alamo, and National they WILL provide FREE shuttle service to and from the port if renting a car with them. We are renting a car day before cruise, day in between the 2nd cruise, and return day for we have 8 hours before flight home. This way we can enjoy the beach the last day have transportation, and place to store luggage. Hope this helps everyone in their transportation decision.

Kim

Sounds like a good plan, we were just going to rent a car from a cheap out fit by airport for 2 pre cruise days, And then do 2 cabs for 6 people or a van, to the port. If we do you plan ? do you return car to airport and they shuttle you Sunday morning or do you take car to port and they pick it up. Don't need pick up after but pre cruise would be handy. Did you learn his threw local offices or there 800 #?

SheilaInAL - Wyndham Westshore is a very nice place. Nice area too. There's a Walgreen's Drug Store diagonally across the street if you need some stuff before the cruise. A large mall is across the street with some places to eat. There is a Shula's Steakhouse in the Wyndham, but it's expensive (it could easily cost you more than the room, without trying hard, but it's worth every penny). At one time this was a Sheraton Hotel before it changed to Wyndham. Lots of business people stay at this hotel, and there are always limos dropping off and picking up people.

tkvalley - I'd go for the Chase Suites. From what I've seen and been told, Chase Suites are more roomy. The rooms at Chase Suites are set up kind of like apartments. If you saw the place from the main road, you would think it was an apartment complex. It used to be a Residence Inn. I've been in numerous rooms at the Sailport since people I work with have stayed there. They are very large. The rooms are actually little vacation condo's. The rooms I've seen had a bedroom up front next to the door, then a bathroom, bunk beds off to the side of the hall, then you come to a small living room and to the right is a small kitchen with a breakfast table. They have a small balcony too. Most rooms face the water.

I'm out of here tomorrow morning, headed to the ship in Ft. L'dale, and will be gone until 12/7. Jessemon will hold down the fort until I get back.

Later,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping you can help me make my decision between the Springhill Suites near the airport and the "brand new" Holiday Inn Express near the stadium. Family is planning to stay at one or the other for 2 nights pre-cruise at Christmas.

I know the Springhill would be okay, but has anyone heard anything about this newly opened Holiday Inn Express (4750 N. Dale Mabry) down the road from the older version? Is there much of a distance between the two and the airport or the pier? Thanks!

We stayed at the Sailport Suites for 6 days - 3 pre-cruise, 3 post-cruise. Our experience was very good and recommended if you are staying more than one night. The "apartment" was clean, had 2 tvs, stereo w/cd player, and daily maid service.

We had the one bedroom unit for 3 adults. 2 slept in the queen bedroom, one on the comfortable sofabed in the living room. Full kitchen including fridge, microwave, stove, oven, dishwasher, toaster, blender, coffee maker (with one pot's worth of coffee supplied daily) and all cooking utensils and dishes. Iron and ironing board and hair dryer are in the room, too. There is also a coin op laundry. Continental breakfast is included and they have a small convenience store on site.

We also had other family members (total of 4 rooms) and all had a balcony overlooking the water. There is a nice swimming pool on the waterfront and a large deck with tables and chairs for outdoor dining or just enjoying the sunsets.

There is a very good restaurant within walking distance called the Rusty Pelican. Really nice atmosphere and excellent food.

Free shuttle to and from the airport, 10 PP to the cruise terminal. They also will shuttle free within a 5 miles radius making it quite easy to reach restaurants such as Bahama Breeze. If you get the cruise package, shuttle to the cruise port is included. We did not take the cruise package as we had access to a car. We paid $89 a night.

Hoping you can help me make my decision between the Springhill Suites near the airport and the "brand new" Holiday Inn Express near the stadium. Family is planning to stay at one or the other for 2 nights pre-cruise at Christmas.

I know the Springhill would be okay, but has anyone heard anything about this newly opened Holiday Inn Express (4750 N. Dale Mabry) down the road from the older version? Is there much of a distance between the two and the airport or the pier? Thanks!

cruise3122,

Look at page 18 post #431. Ken makes mention of this hotel. It is next to Sam Seltzer's Steak House. Good steaks and prime rib for the price. If you have a car while in town you will have many options for dining close by. From inexpensive to the sky is the limit. Two malls close by. Tampa Stadium to look at. Oh, by the way if you stay at Holiday Inn Express up the street to the north (about 1/2 mile) is Mom's diner. The man who owns it won a lotto but decided to keep working because his customers wouldn't have a place for breakfast. Makes a great breakfast. Highway access about a mile south if you want to go exploring.

Dale Mabry is a major road in Tampa and is very busy all the time. Springhill area might be a little quieter. They are not far from each other though.

?...What ship are you cruising on at Christmas. My wife and I are doing the Veendam.

Hope this helped a little.

Jeff

Thanks Jessemon for the good info. I did look at post #431, but that was back in October and the new Holiday Inn Express did not open until Mid-November, so I assume Ken was referring to the older version of the hotel which is now being operated by a different chain. I was hoping to find some feedback on the brand new one.

We are sailing on Grandeur for the holiday break.

thanks Cracker Ken,

I have another question....... If you were to chose between Chase Suites and Sailport. Which one would you chose??????????

Thanks

Chris

The Chase Suites also provides a free breakfast. Our 2 bedroom, 2bath place had 2 king size beds. One in a bedroom with a door that closed and the other in an upstairs loft. There was also a sofa bed in the living room. I don't know if Sailport provides transportation after the cruise but Chase does and that was a very good selling point for us. Not much in the area but our plane did not get in until 6 or so. So dinner at the nearby Bahama Breeze was followed by some card playing and cruise anticipating. We loved cruising out of Tampa.

Have a great time.

Thanks Jessemon for the good info. I did look at post #431, but that was back in October and the new Holiday Inn Express did not open until Mid-November, so I assume Ken was referring to the older version of the hotel which is now being operated by a different chain. I was hoping to find some feedback on the brand new one.

We are sailing on Grandeur for the holiday break.

Hey cruise3122,

I see you listed the new location at 4750 N. Dale Mabry. The old one is at 4732 N. Dale Mabry. It is probably one in the same property. I will be going by there either tomarrow or Thur. and will take a look. This is a rather large peice of property. We stayed at this location (at that time a Holiday Inn) when we moved here for two weeks.

By the way...we have cruised on the Grandeur twice. The first time was the third or forth time it sailed. She's a pretty ship. I don't know if you have ever cruised on this class of ship (Vision Class) but they are called "the ships of light". Almost anywhere you go in public areas you can see outside. The atrium is beautiful. The Skooner Bar is great. The ship is beautiful from the outside. At night it truely is the ship of light. All the lights from inside glowing through the green glass windows.

Thank you Ken, the information you gave us on the Springhill Suites, the area around there and the directions regarding the airport to connect with the Hal rep's was right on. We enjoyed the hotel, my wife enjoyed the malls and we made the connections perfectly. The cruise and the ship were great. Enjoyed meeting the CC'ers in the Crows Nest. Hope some day to thank you personally.

This must be the longest and most informative thread ever! Thanks for all your knowledge, especially Ken! That's why I'm asking you if we should stay in Clearwater (or there abouts) or would there be a problem getting to Tampa Sun AM? We're renting a car and going down 2 days early. Also is there a rental agency at the cruise terminal to drop off the car? Thanks again!