Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Hi. Great thread and I am now over saturated with info. I am booked solo on the Ryndam 16April06 for the Panama Canal cruise and intend to arrive on 14April. Assuming I stay somewhere in the airport, cruise terminal or Ybor City area, how far is it and how would I get to Tropicana Field for a Devil Ray game without renting a car? Yes, I checked and they are in town playing the Royals. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Daniel, I can't imagine getting there any way except by rental car. It's an easy drive, (I-275 south or west to exits for Tropicana Field) takes about 25 minutes from the airport. I suppose it's possible that there are buses to get you there. I would suggest you contact the Devil Rays for help. Seriously.

Hello folks. I've been away from this thread for quite a while due to the holidays, a couple of weeks cruising, and too much work.

LM81- I'm quite familiar with the area in Temple Terrace where the Residence Inn is located. It's next to an office park area. About the only thing in the neighborhood is offices, hotels and a Bob Evans Restaurant. It is indeed a ways from the port, but still only about 30 minutes away on weekend days. On a week day, it could be an hour or two away. Further to the W. on Fletcher Avenue, you can find other restuarants, and there are many on Fowler Ave around 22nd St to 30th St. I consider the area to be safe and clean as well.

kbmocruiser - I can't help you with beach hotels. I'm not the familiar with lodging over there since I rarely go over there. I hope you find something reasonable over there.

ocbaylady- The roads leading from Rocky Point to the Port of Tampa shouldn't be closed for the parade. The shuttle driver should know his way around enough get you there. HOWEVER - The traffic during the time of day you will want to get to the port will be horrendous. That's about the same time of day the crowds of people are going to downtown Tampa to get a place to watch the parade. The parade ends somewhere in the downtown area. A link to the parade web site:

http://gasparillapiratefest.com/home.htm

I'd hate to be in that area that day. I was born and raised in the Tampa area (20 miles E of Tampa), and I'm 52. To this day, I have never been to the Gasparilla parade, and it's not on my list of things to do. Just be glad that someone else is driving, and give yourself plenty of time.

Gregkal - If you aren't too picky, that HoJo's may be OK. It's quite a distance from both the port and the airport. There's no shortage of places to eat along Dale Mabry. These days, many HoJo's arent so nice. I've told people to stay away from the one at 50th St and I-4 in Tampa due to the adjacent area and heavy interstate construction.

HeidiHo - The Hampton Inn in Ybor City is a really nice place. It's not very far from the port either (maybe 1 1/2 mile). There's a street car line that runs right by there, and you can take it S. to the Channelside District (where the ports are) or further on into Ybor City. Ybor can be very crazy on Saturday night. There is a strong police presence in the area, and they have surveillance camera's around. About the only trouble I hear of down there, is at some of the low-life clubs on 7th Ave (Broadway). There's a nice entertainment venue called Centro Ybor just a few blocks from the Hampton. Movies, eating, and other stuff there. That would be suitable for teens AS LONG AS YOU ARE WITH THEM. I'd never let kids run lose down there in that area (not saying you would, but FYI). A really nice, and unique, place to eat is the Columbia Restaurant on 7th Ave between 21st and 22nd St. You can get there by taking the street car E to the station in front of the Sheriff's Office building at 21st St and 8th Ave, then walk S one block. Nice Spanish cuisine in a Spanish style old building. You can find it on the Internet using Google. You would be well advised to make reservations there. If you get to the airport at 3:15, you should be able to get checked in well before 5PM. If you leave the airport with your bags at 4PM, you will be at the hotel by 4:30. The Embassy Suites Westshore, as others have said, is indeed a great place. There's a nice mall right across the street with movies, a food court, and some larger restuarants like Maggiano's Italian, a Steak and Ale, and more. There may be more fun in Ybor City.

bookworm61 - Go with Embassy Suites over the Double Tree. I agree with the other poster. Much better off at Embassy Suites. Both of these places are about 7 miles from the port, or around $20-$25 for a taxi.

altosax - Unless the Ray's have some sort of courtesy shuttle thing that I'm not familiar with, the only reasonable way you are going to make that trip is in a rental car. A taxi from the airport area or Ybor, all the way down to the S side of St Petersburg to the Tropicana Field would cost you a small fortune, and a rental car would be a fraction of the cost. The Hampton Inn Ybor that I mentioned above is nice, and there's a lot of info here about the airport area.

Onbec- That area of town on S Dale Mabry isn't really bad. I haven't paid any attention to that hotel before though.

Deb C. - The area of the Chase Suites is safe. Nice, clean, area. Primarily a business district with office buildings, other hotels, and some restaurants (along with some pricey apartments). There are good reports on the Chase, and my co-workers have stayed there while visiting our offices nearby. The Bahama Breeze Restaurant, right next door, joining the parking lot, is nice, with a great atmosphere.

kathalinamarie - I suppose 1 night there for $60 is great. When you get back, give us a review. There are other hotels on this street, and a large high school across the street. It's just a couple of blocks from Westshore Blvd, and you can find places around there to eat (like down the street and around the corner at Westshore Plaza).

NOTE: For the folks staying at Embassy Suites Westshore, or the Double Tree Westshore on Cypress, as well as other sites in Tampa like the cruise terminals, Channelside District, street cars, and more, go to my photo album page at WebShots, the second link in my signature block. There's an album there for Tampa.

I hope this helps. If questions, ask.

Ken

Hello folks. I've been away from this thread for quite a while due to the holidays, a couple of weeks cruising, and too much work.

Glad to see you back, Ken.

What are your thoughts on the Renaissance Hotel? Is there much to do around there other than the mall next to it?

Is there something going on in Tampa on Saturday, March 25th? All the high end hotels like the Waterside and such down by Channelside are suddenly sold out that night. I can get in on Friday, but not Saturday.

I'm wondering if anyone's familiar with the Amerisuites Airport. What's near-by. Is their any place within walking distance to eat? Do they by chance have shuttle service to the port? What is the main hi-way to the port? Is this a good choice for $100? Thanks

Ltvscout - From what I can find, it looks like it's the big food festival in Tampa, Best of Tampa Bay - Here are the details:

http://www.visittampabay.com/events/moreinfo.php?Event_ID=5127&pMonth=March

I didn't realize that this event had such an out of town pull. Must be. That's the only thing I can find. There could be some smaller events that aren't newsworthy. There's a lot of cruising going on during Jan/Feb/Mar, but I don't think they take up that many rooms.

The Renaissance Hotel is a nice property. It's new, and a beautiful building as well. It's on the SW corner of the Tampa Intl Airport, though not on the property. It joins the International Plaza, a large upscale mall with some nice eateries. There are other restaurants right across the street which are concept of the Outback Steakhouse company (LeRoy Selmon's BBQ, Fleming's Prime Steakhouse, and Roy's). There's another mall to the S. down Westshore, and they have restaurants there, as well as movies.

Not a lot of recreational opportunities out there. Have you tried Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn in Ybor City? Those are relatively close to the cruise terminals (1 1/2 mile, + or - ).

Ken

I goofed. The largest album of Tampa pics are on my Yahoo photo album page. It's the top link in my signature block.

Also - For info about Tampa events, go here:

http://www.visittampabay.com/index.php

Lots of good info there.

ALSO - If anyone needs to check distances between the cruise terminals and various hotels and places in Tampa, use http://www.mapquest.com Use the "Directions" module. For the "to" location use E Mckay St & Channelside Dr if you are using Terminal 6 (HAL and others, sometimes HAL uses 2 if Carnvial not in port). If you are looking at Terminal 2 (Carnival) or 3 (Celebrity, RCI, other), use E. Cumberland Ave. & Channelside Drive as one of your locations. The directions will appear (which I often don't agree with), however at the bottom it will give you the total mileage. These terminals are all within about 1/4 mile of each other.

Ken

Welcome Back! I enjoyed looking at your photos.

We are flying into Orlando and driving to Tampa the afternoon before our cruise sails. My husband is looking at the map and thought staying in Lakeland might be a good choice as opposed to staying directly in Tampa. Any thoughts or concerns on this. We're just interested in something clean for the night and a swimming pool would be nice. Is it around a 45 min. drive from Lakeland to the port area?

Thanks

What can you tell us about the Residence Inn-Tampa Westshore. Flying down 2 days before a February cruise and haven't decided whether or not to rent a car. Do you know what the hotel is like and is there much activity in that area that would diminish the necessity of car rental prior to a cruise? Thanx much!!

Hi all

I have never used Priceline before. If I need a room in Tampa for April 28th, when should I start bidding? I feel so dumb about this..:confused: ..Thank you all for all your help:)

For the ins-and-outs of Priceline, check out this board.

www.biddingfortravel.com

As far as when to bid, you never know. Sometimes I've received something 6 months out and other times I couldn't get anything until closer to my stay. It all depends upon inventory, which changes sometimes from day to day. Good luck!

I have a feeling that no one seen my question regarding the Amerisuites Airport location. Has anyone stayed there? I read a review that said it was getting run down and not all that clean! Also what's with in walking distance for places to eat? I would appreciate any help, as I'm not familiar with Tampa at all!

Gregkal - If you aren't too picky, that HoJo's may be OK. It's quite a distance from both the port and the airport. There's no shortage of places to eat along Dale Mabry. These days, many HoJo's arent so nice. I've told people to stay away from the one at 50th St and I-4 in Tampa due to the adjacent area and heavy interstate construction.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I think I will just give up and stay in Ybor. Both the Hampton Inn and Suites and the Hilton Garden Inn are $159. I am only going to stay the night before my cruise which will be Sunday Feb. 12th. Does anyone know which hotel is better? The Hampton is new as someone said before but the Hilton has a restaurant and lounge which is nice. Also does anyone know which restaurants and bars are the best? I will only be there Sunday night (and alone) which is not the best night for partying. Will I be able to catch a cab monday morning to the Carnival port easily? Thanks. Greg

Hi Ken,

First, thanks for the info about Tropicana Field. I'll check it out if there are any shuttles.

I've been offered a very attractive interline rate at the Wyndham Harbor Island. Looks like it's much closer to the cruise terminal than the Wyndham Westshore. Is this true? Any negatives about the Wyndam Harbor Island? Any reasons why this would not be a better choice than the Wyndham Westshore? Thanks in advance.

kpauley - Lakeland isn't a bad idea. On a Saturday or Sunday morning, you could make it from here (I live in Lakeland) to the dock in 45 minutes or less. It's about 30-35 miles. I'd recommend this Hampton Inn:

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=LBNT20PPZM4LACSGBIWM22QKIYFC5UUC?ctyhocn=MCOLLHX

This is at Exit 33 and I-4 in Lakeland. It's quiet over there. There is an Applebee's and a Cracker Barrel restaurant there, along with a 7-11 Store and Wendy's. I think there is a Baymont Inn and another hotel there as well but it's name slips me at the moment. From the hotel, it's easy to get on I-4 to go to Tampa, and it's easy to get to when you exit I-4 too.

Groovey- The Residence Inn is a nice place. Relatively new, in a clean area that's safe. It's across the street from the International Plaza Mall and the Renaissance Hotel (see the entry I made a few post up the thread). The parking lot is right next to LeRoy Selmon's BBQ (an upscale BBQ place, part of the Outback group). Other than the mall, it's primarily a business district. You could walk over to the mall (a huge place) and there are places to eat there. That's about it for that area.

knutsonl - I haven't stayed there, so I can't help you. I know where the hotel is, and there's a Hampton Inn within a block of there. As for places to eat, you might work up a sweat trying to walk to a restaurant. There used to be a place almost across the street, Houlihans, but it closed. I don't know if someone else has opened the place up or not. Other places are further S. on Westshore Blvd just S. of I-275 (about a mile), and to the E of there near the International Mall.

Gregkal - I've been to the Hilton Garden Inn for a seminar in the past. It's a nice place and not very old. If they have a restaurant there, it's not too big. All I can remember seeing is something like a breakfast area. The Hampton Inn in Ybor is quite new. It's in a good location too, and real close to the street car line (maybe right next to it). You could quite easily get on the street car and go down to the Channelside District where there are places to eat and some night clubs (Hooters, Stumps Supper Club, and others). Channelside District is where Cruise Terminal 2 is located. If you don't have much luggage, you could even hop on the street car and take it down to any of the cruise terminals, 2, 3 or 6. There are stops at all 3 terminals. I don't know if the street car conductor would allow luggage on the car, but I don't see why not. It probably wouldn't be crowded that time of day (in the morning, going to the ship). Street car would be cheaper than a taxi. Here's info on the street cars in Tampa, including the routes, etc:

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

For Channelside District:

http://www.channelside.com/

There's a place near the Hampton called Ybor Square. At that location, there's a restaurant called the Spaghetti Warehouse. Great place to eat. The lasagna is to die for. It's been years since I've been there, but they used to have great sour dough bread with dinner. Or, you could hop on the street car and go to the E end and walk a block to the Columbia Restaurant, a great Spanish restaurant, and a Tampa landmark. It's in an old, really neat building with Spanish design. They have music and dancers, etc. I'd recommend reservations there. You cannot go hungry in Ybor, or the other places I mentioned.

For the Columbia Restaurant:

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor.asp

altosax - Wyndham Harbour Island is a lot closer to the cruise terminals. Not far at all. In the Tampa pictures I mentioed just up the page, there are pictures of the Wyndham Harbour Island, and the terminal. You can see the ship from the bridge on S. Franklin St. that comes from downtown across to Harbour Island. I think there's a picture of Carnival Miracle that I took from that bridge on my web page. The closest restaurant would probably be either the hotel, or one of the restaurants in the Marriott Waterside Hotel just across the channel. The street car line has a station in front of the Marriott Waterside Hotel, a nice walk from the Wyndham. If you get on the street car, you can go to Channelside for dinner, etc.(might be a little far to tote luggage though)

Ken

Welcome back Cracker Ken. If my memory serves me right (which would be a minor miracle) you were on the Carnival Liberty. If so, did you post a review? If not, any comments you can share. I believe you mentioned you did not often cruise on Carnival. I'd be really interested in your impressions. Of course if my memory served me wrong, ignore the message and I do hope you enjoyed yourself on whatever cruise you did take.

I have a feeling that no one seen my question regarding the Amerisuites Airport location. Has anyone stayed there? I read a review that said it was getting run down and not all that clean! Also what's with in walking distance for places to eat? I would appreciate any help, as I'm not familiar with Tampa at all!

OK hotel - nothing great - there are better ones in the area.

What an amazing amount of info!

I have a question I hope one of you can help with. Do any of the Tampa hotels have an indoor pool? My research on TripAdvisor hasn't come up with any, but maybe I'm not as thorough as I'd like to think I am!

We'll be there for 2 nights pre-cruise in mid February. We'll have a 7 and 3 year old, and if it's cool, an indoor pool would be key.

For now, we have a reservation at the Belleview Biltmore in Clearwater, although (as per a thread I started for feedback on that hotel) I'm not all that confident choosing that hotel.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Gregkal - I've been to the Hilton Garden Inn for a seminar in the past. It's a nice place and not very old. If they have a restaurant there, it's not too big. All I can remember seeing is something like a breakfast area. The Hampton Inn in Ybor is quite new. It's in a good location too, and real close to the street car line (maybe right next to it). You could quite easily get on the street car and go down to the Channelside District where there are places to eat and some night clubs (Hooters, Stumps Supper Club, and others). Channelside District is where Cruise Terminal 2 is located. If you don't have much luggage, you could even hop on the street car and take it down to any of the cruise terminals, 2, 3 or 6. There are stops at all 3 terminals. I don't know if the street car conductor would allow luggage on the car, but I don't see why not. It probably wouldn't be crowded that time of day (in the morning, going to the ship). Street car would be cheaper than a taxi. Here's info on the street cars in Tampa, including the routes, etc:

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

For Channelside District:

http://www.channelside.com/

There's a place near the Hampton called Ybor Square. At that location, there's a restaurant called the Spaghetti Warehouse. Great place to eat. The lasagna is to die for. It's been years since I've been there, but they used to have great sour dough bread with dinner. Or, you could hop on the street car and go to the E end and walk a block to the Columbia Restaurant, a great Spanish restaurant, and a Tampa landmark. It's in an old, really neat building with Spanish design. They have music and dancers, etc. I'd recommend reservations there. You cannot go hungry in Ybor, or the other places I mentioned.

For the Columbia Restaurant:

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor.asp

Ken

I called both Hotels and they both provide free transportation to the port so I won't need to take a taxi. Thanks again. Greg

Hi Ken,

First, thanks for the info about Tropicana Field. I'll check it out if there are any shuttles.

I've been offered a very attractive interline rate at the Wyndham Harbor Island. Looks like it's much closer to the cruise terminal than the Wyndham Westshore. Is this true? Any negatives about the Wyndam Harbor Island? Any reasons why this would not be a better choice than the Wyndham Westshore? Thanks in advance.

Daniel,

Where did you find the interline rate?? We are interline customers too and looking for a hotel night for 4/28/06 before our cruise. Thanks for your help.:)

Gloria & Terry -- see my comments about Priceline in this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=108072&page=14

Altosax -- Calling the Devil Rays should give you the most accurate info about any shuttles running from the Tampa area, although it may be too early for them to have all the details for the season starting in April.