Funiculì Funiculà,

StanandJim

Some say "you MUST ride the funiculer", others, "That crazy railroad is boring, go to Pompei", still others, "Pompei is too crowded, go to Herculaneum". Then, of course, we could just sit in a cafe on the Isle of Capri, drinking a rather nice red wine and watching the world go by......

Can somebody please give us the "lowdown" on the things we should experience in Naples? We're there on the Insignia from 7AM to 6PM on the 7th of April 2005.

Thanks for your help

We were on the Insignis in October. We shared a guide (Giovanni from Tours of Italy) with two other couples and went to Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano and ravello. Great day. With tip, it cost 50 Euros per person.

StanandJim..We were there in September on the Millenium and used Marcello as our private tour guide. Personally I think to go to Naples and not drive the Amalfi Coast would be a great shame. It's spectacularly beautiful. As the poster above said we also travelled Sorrento, Positano, Priano, Conca dei Marini, Amalfi, Atrani and Ravello. We had the BEST lunch up on the mountainside in Ravello overlooking the sea - gorgeous!! We fell in love with the area and are going back this October on the Insignia. We would have liked to go to Pompeii and maybe will include it in this year's itinerary, but certainly a whole day on the Amalfi Coast does it justice!!!!

We haven't made it to Capri yet, so I can't comment on that. Coordinating with the ferry schedules to give us a useful amount of time on the island defeated us this spring.

We went to Herculaneum instead. It's a small enough site that you can do it in 2 hours or less, yet very interesting. It's closer to Naples than Pompeii, which we did 3 years ago. Either site will take 30 minutes to an hour each way, as traffic is usually congested. The train station is only a few blocks from the Herculaneum site, a bit farther for the Pompeii station, but we didn't want to depend on train schedules to get back to the ship.

We love ruins, and will probably re-visit Pompeii the next time we're in the area. The first time we spent 2 hours, but you need at least half a day to do it justice. Never done the Amalfi drive, but it could probably be combined with a visit to either Herculaneum or Pompeii.

We also used Marcello of

Seesorrento.com

Had a spectacular tour of the Amalfi coast and that stop for lunch as was just mentioned ( FABULOUS!)..

We have been to Pompei on a previous trip so passed it this time. You could certainly do a morning at Pompei ( which would be the best time to go anyways) then an afternoon of some if not all of the Amalfi coast.

As Doug mentioned, depending on the ferry schedules ( from Naples to Capri and reverse) it may not work as sometimes the water is too rough to get there, which is what happened to our well made plans whe we were there last- ( or worse.. you can get there but maybe not back which would then be a night mare)..

We are going to be first time cruisers next month (on Insignia SA cruise ) so I have been watching this board for several weeks.. and thanks to all for hints and help!

Now.. to Stan and Jim.. my husband and I have been to Italy (land based) several times. I will say that we loved Pompeii .. even in the dead heat of summer there.. awesome to view and esp so if you can garner a good guide.. Even as a history teacher -- I learned sooo much there! We stayed in Sorrento for a week two years ago and did the Amalfi Drive to Positano and Ravello and Amalfi (town) and it was spectacular too.. The least impressed I was would have been in the town of Capri.. it was crowded waaay too many people and not a place to linger over a bottle of red at all.. imho! We did have a driver there tho and went up to the top .. to Anacapri.. spectacular view.. lovely and glad we did it.. but again we were in the area for many days so had the luxury and leisure to sample many things. We poked around in Naples as my dh tried to find a bar he knew from his old navy days.. never did find it.. lol.. then went nearby to Capodimonte.. that was beautiful area too.. But if I had only one choice -- I would do Pompeii for a day trip.. However.. remember.. it's Italy.. and no choice is a bad choice.. :-)

Best regards!

Joyce

My advice would be to skip Capri and especially skip the trip to the blue lagoon - they are just tourist traps:( . I think go to Pompeii in the morning before it gets too hot and then do the Amalfi coast drive in the afternoon with a stop in Sorrento for one of their famous ice creams. We stayed in Sorrento for 10 days and never ran out of things to do.

Hi,

When we were in Italy the first time (over 25 years ago), we went to Capri and the Blue Lagoon. It was at the end of our two week extensive tour of Italy and my husband just wanted to "veg" out before our long trip home to California. Everyone told us we shouldn't miss Capri. After seeing Capri, he remarked, "It was just like Catalina Island, I should have stayed in Sorrento and taken it easy." Our next trip back was the Amalfi Coast which was spectacular. So, I agree with Sweep -- go to Pompei in the morning and then tour the Amalfi Coast and please post back here to let us know how you liked your tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, all of you, for the wonderful, descriptive, extremely helpful advice!

We'll avoid Capri, and see the ruins early in the moring before the heat hits.

I'm going to impose on you a little further, if I may.....

Can anybody recommend a wonderful, reliable guide in Naples? With 5 in our group, we're finding that private guides are right in line pricewise with the ships shore excursions (and then, we get to choose the itinerary!)

The people on these boards seem to know just about everything! Please help us!:o

Best~

Stan & Jim

In September we used Marcello in Naples. He was outstanding, very reliable and very passionate about "his" Italy! We chose to spend the day doing the spectacular Amalfi Coast and he took us to an AMAZING Mom & Pop restaurant overlooking the sea and valley's in Ravello, most definately a highlight. We are going back in October 05 and will do a couple of hours in Pompeii before returning the the Amalfi Coast.

We used Mauro from Sorrentolimo.com and he was great -- got us to Pompeii and out before the rest of the cruise ship traffic/crowds got there. Took us on an incredible drive through the Amalfi coast. We had four people and splurged on a nice Mercedes Van for us so we'd have room. The jewel of the trip (and what made Naples our favorite port) was renting a boat in Positano (Mauro is also a captain) and taking a great mini-cruise up and down the coastline of Positano -- Mauro pointed out the private beaches and popular resorts, named a couple of houses that could be rented out by the week (may be a future vacation spot for us!) and also showed us some incredible rock and grotto formations. Best of luck!

Steve and Patrick

Archived