Repositioning cruises: love 'em or hate 'em?

calikak

Repositioning Cruises: Love 'em or hate 'em?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Repositioning Cruises: Love 'em or hate 'em?

• Never done one so can't say
    • Love them
    • Hate them
    • I have a love-hate relationship with them

We will be doing the repositioning cruise in April on the Coral Princess. :) I am so looking forward to it. Largin, when you did this cruise did you go on any tours? :confused: What was the best ones? :confused: Do you have an photo album. :confused: Love looking at the pictures and dreaming until April. My daughter and two teen age grandsons will be going with me. Anyway I hope so unless my daughter can't get the time off they haven't okayed her vacation as of yet. I am going anyway maybe with one grandson. Will be so disappointed if she can't go. Anyway she has one month to find out. Thanks to everyone for all your information.

Delores

Our 2 Nite CTN on the Carnival Legend was not a reposition cruise. However, from Carnivals standpoint it was the next best thing. The Legend ended it's normal 8 Nite Caribbean Cruise season from NYC on a Friday. The new season out of Ft. Lauderdale started on a Tuesday. Carnival found that they could make more money by selling out the ship for a 2 nite weekend CTN and then sail empty for a day 1/2 compared to a 4 nite repo. We loved it and plan to do it again next year.

We will be doing the repositioning cruise in April on the Coral Princess. :) I am so looking forward to it. Largin, when you did this cruise did you go on any tours? :confused: What was the best ones? :confused: Do you have an photo album. :confused: Love looking at the pictures and dreaming until April. My daughter and two teen age grandsons will be going with me. Anyway I hope so unless my daughter can't get the time off they haven't okayed her vacation as of yet. I am going anyway maybe with one grandson. Will be so disappointed if she can't go. Anyway she has one month to find out. Thanks to everyone for all your information.

Delores

Since it was our fourth time through the Canal we didn't go any of the tours. We loved the Coral and have lots of pics. If you are ever down to Fremont, drop by. We can share cruise pics of our Panama Coral and Alaska Coral cruises... My email is listed in my profile. In the mean time, click on this link. It has lots and lots of pics on the Coral... http://webshots.com/search?query=Coral%20princess&new=1&source=webshotshome

I am also taking my daughter and grandson on our repo in May 2006. These short trips are a fun way travel with family at a smaller total price tag(however, they are not a great value if you figure the per night costs)

I hope your daughter gets her work schedule adjusted and you all have a great time!

Thanks Larry for the website. :) I still have a little over 4 months, the time seems to be going faster now. I just keep dreaming and reading. I am keeping my fingers crossed and saying little prayers that my daughter will get to go. :D Thanks to everyone for all this information.:cool:

Delores

My most recent cruise was a respositioning cruise from Venice to FLL in October. 17 days onboard... what a joy!! The menus were different every day of that time (if you ever see the Welsh Rarbit TRY IT) and the activities were numerous and entertaining. The ports were spectacular. If I were closer to a port city I would try many more of the repo cruises.

A Panama Canal and Transatlantic cruise were on my wish list for the future.

My first repo was a fifteen day MIA to Long Beach thru the Panama Canal. The price was just to good to pass up and brought the future to the present. We lost one day and one port to Frances, rounded Ivan and lost the last port to a hurricane in the Pacific. I would do the whole thing over again at the price I paid.

When I got home from this cruise, I found another deal to good to believe. I'm going to be on the Liberty for her first 16 day crossing. Italy to FLL next October here I come.

I'm hooked and just wished I'd know about them sooner. I still don't know how to find them. I've got these due to e-mail notices/adds.

I'm signed up to get special email offers from Princess (and a few other cruise lines). Some of the prices on the repositioning cruises are great. One of these days, we're going to be able to take advantage of one.

My DH's uncle and aunt did a 30-day cruise from Florida to the Mediterranean. They could have gotten off sooner when the ship arrived in Barcelona, but they decided to extend their cruise all the way to Istanbul. They loved it.

We love the repositioning cruises, the longer the better. Have done Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco, Ft Lauderdale to Buenos Aires, New York to Rome, and Venice to Ft Lauderdale (we live in Maryland). You only have one really long flight in most cases and the cruises are long enough to give one time to meet more folks, get to know the ship well, and vege out enough to actually forget where the suitcases are.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

We have never been on a cruise before and had thought of taking a repositioning cruise in May, from San Francisco to Vancouver, just to learn the ropes of cruising before we take our 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. If we decide to do this, rather than throw away the return airfare, maybe we will take another from Vancouver to San Francisco in September. :D

PunkiSeattle, we're doing one of those short cruises in May, the one on the Dawn. We're taking my sister-in-law and one of my friends from law school, so they can try out cruising in a smaller package. I think it'll give them a taste of it, and if they hate it, then they're not stuck on the ship for a whole week. :)

Caliak and Punki,

My DH and I did the LA to Vancouver in May of 2000. I wasn't sure if he was going to like cruising so I figured that it would be a good test. He loved it. We are going on the Regal to Alaska this June. I don't know who is more excited between the two of us.

Archived