Houston to Galveston

cougrx23

There are several threads here dealing with transportation options from Houston to Galveston. To get good answers you need to let people know: Which airport - Bush (IAH) or Hobby (HOU)? What dates? Which cruise line? How many people? Are getting in early prior to your cruise and want to see some of Houston or do you want to go immediately to Galveston? Are you interested in renting a car? Looking for a 4-star lodging or just somewhere clean to "hang your hat"?

As a local, I haven't faced the transportation situation but, from numerous posts here over the years I can tell you that it is THE BIG PROBLEM with sailing from Galveston. It seemed that some progress in solving it was being made prior to Hurricane Ike, but that put a stop to anything going on in Galveston except the essentials and it appears cruise transportation is again on the back burner. It is something they must solve.

Thanks for the info, we are going on RCI 7Day Western Caribean on Jan 17th 2010. We arrive in Houston IAH Jan 16th and are trying to find a cost effective plan. We don't care if we stay in Houston or Galveston but will need transportation to and from Galveston. Both limos and rental cars seem to cost around 300-500 dollars, anything around 200 dollars cost for the transportation both ways would be great.

Seems as if some people coming into Houston via IAH and arriving later in the day prior to their cruise have stayed at the one of the hotels near IAH (there is even one on the airport site) and then have taken the hotel shuttle back to the airport the next day to catch the cruise company shuttle to Galveston. Not sure if Royal Caribbean offers a shuttle service but, if they do, that may be the cheapest way to go - and the least stressful.

Also remember someone getting much better car rental rates by using a near-by - but not at the airport - rental office and taking a rather short cab ride to that rental office. Others have rented a car for the entire week, driven to Galveston and parked it at the port (+/-$50), and returned the car back at the airport and seem to have done fairly well with that approach.

Hopefully someone who has made the trip can join in here and offer some suggestions plus, as I said, there are lots of prior threads discussing various approaches to this transportation situation.

Have you tried joining in on the thread for your cruise and checking on others facing the same problem? Perhaps there is a chance to share a ride with fellow cruisers.

... we are going on RCI 7Day Western Caribean on Jan 17th 2010...
... Have you tried joining in on the thread for your cruise and checking on others facing the same problem? Perhaps there is a chance to share a ride with fellow cruisers.

Howdy cougrx23! 50.gif Welcome to Cruise Critic! 05.gif

Read the Sticky thread titled What is a ROLL CALL and how do I find mine? at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44773. The thread will tell you about the Cruise Critic Roll Calls and how they are the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you.

To help you find your Roll Call thread quicker, click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=885493 for the Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas "Meet & Mingle" Roll Call thread titled January 17, 2010.

As clearlakecruisers mentions, your fellow Roll Call members may have information posted in your Roll Call thread. Per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership, your Roll Call thread is the ONLY place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call members can post personal ads about sharing tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together!

Don't forget to register for the "Meet & Mingle" Party hosted by RCI during your cruise for you and the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you. After getting to know each other on your Roll Call thread prior to your cruise, this will be a time and place with refreshments where you will get to meet face-to-face on the ship. Check out the following links for more information and to register:

- Meet & Mingle Info and RCCL Meet & Mingle FAQ

- Register to attend a Meet & Mingle Party

- Confirmed Meet & Mingle Party List

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

My wife and I will be in houston a few days before our cruise. We are looking for the best transportation to Galveston from houston. We don't need a limo ( that just sounds expensive ). Its only 2 of us. I have read other threads but they were all mainly for 6-10 people. Does anyone have any suggestions for cost effective transportation for 2 people?

My wife and I will be in houston a few days before our cruise. We are looking for the best transportation to Galveston from houston. We don't need a limo ( that just sounds expensive ). Its only 2 of us. I have read other threads but they were all mainly for 6-10 people. Does anyone have any suggestions for cost effective transportation for 2 people?

You might want to read the posts on gulf coast departures. On Voyager this past april we had a lot flying in and they all complained. There apparantly isnt a cost effective way of going from Houston to Galveston, most got limos or shuttles that cost about the same as a limo. There is no rental car place open on Sunday in Galveston, so those coming in the day of the cruises cant rent cars either. I felt bad with so many upset with the lack of low cost transportation on my roll call.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are my plans, maybe they can help someone else. I have done a lot of research and am very cost consious.

Arrive IAH, stay one night at Crowne Plaza Houston North ($80.14 total for a room in July). You can take a free shuttle to the hotel. From what I here the hotel is in an ok neighborhood. The pool at the hotel looks really nice. I have heard that it is not the best place to walk at night but since I don't plan on walking at night that doesn't bother me. There is a restaurant at the hotel so no need to leave.

There is a gas station across the street which you can buy your 2 allowed bottles of wine you can bring with you or more if you dare and whatever else.

Day of cruise we are taking extreme elegance $90 + gratuity each way (to cruise and back to airport)

I have considered using Carnival to go back to the airport but the little I am saving ($10 + gratuity) would not be worth the private ride back to the airport.

Any questions feel free to ask.

When we did the Voyager's Westbound TA and arrived in Galveston in Dec, I arranged a car service for DH, DD and myself since we were flying out of Hobby, but was able to connect my in-laws with a super shuttle that was booked and coordinated through the roll call that had 2 seats left for $10 or $15 each, so they were very happy with that.

This next sailing on Voyager in feb 2010 however, we have 13 coming in and I think the max for super shuttle standard van is 10, so we may be looking for something a little bigger.

But the roll calls are great for putting shuttles and tours on your cruise together.

Best private tour I ever took was of the D-Day beaches in Normandy in 2008- never would have gotten there since it was a TA sailing and the ship was only in port for 6 hours, but a small group on the roll call had 2 spaces left on their private tour and I'm so glad we joined them.

happy sailings to all

• 5 weeks later...
When we did the Voyager's Westbound TA and arrived in Galveston in Dec, I arranged a car service for DH, DD and myself since we were flying out of Hobby, but was able to connect my in-laws with a super shuttle that was booked and coordinated through the roll call that had 2 seats left for $10 or $15 each, so they were very happy with that.

This next sailing on Voyager in feb 2010 however, we have 13 coming in and I think the max for super shuttle standard van is 10, so we may be looking for something a little bigger.

But the roll calls are great for putting shuttles and tours on your cruise together.

Best private tour I ever took was of the D-Day beaches in Normandy in 2008- never would have gotten there since it was a TA sailing and the ship was only in port for 6 hours, but a small group on the roll call had 2 spaces left on their private tour and I'm so glad we joined them.

happy sailings to all

powelweb...haven't seen you much on the roll call. Have you posted this information over there for sharing transportation? i know there are a bunch on the roll call that will be flying in...not sure which airport. hopefully there will be enough coming into HOU that sharing will reduce the cost. Sure wish I had a party bus...I wouldn't charge near as much :D

Galveston Limousine Service offers a van shuttle at reasonable rates. www.galvestonlimousineservice.com or 1-800-640-4826

This may sound expensive because it says it's a limousine service, but their transportation is not all "limos." They transport people in vans, etc. I've heard they are very reliable and not too expensive.

powelweb...haven't seen you much on the roll call. Have you posted this information over there for sharing transportation? i know there are a bunch on the roll call that will be flying in...not sure which airport. hopefully there will be enough coming into HOU that sharing will reduce the cost. Sure wish I had a party bus...I wouldn't charge near as much :D

Hi Shekim,

I haven't been on the roll call in ages- still trying to rope in our group while totally out straight at work (but still finding a few minutes of CC sanity break)- but I do plan to get back there soon/eventually.

So are we sailing together? my brain is so fuzzy it's sad.

EDIT- actually we're staying at a hotel in Houston and will be picked up from there, so may not be as convenient for ride sharing, but still plan to post on roll call once all is confirmed.

Wendy

Hi Shekim,

I haven't been on the roll call in ages- still trying to rope in our group while totally out straight at work (but still finding a few minutes of CC sanity break)- but I do plan to get back there soon/eventually.

So are we sailing together? my brain is so fuzzy it's sad.

EDIT- actually we're staying at a hotel in Houston and will be picked up from there, so may not be as convenient for ride sharing, but still plan to post on roll call once all is confirmed.

Wendy

yes, Wendy, we're on the Voyager 2/14/10 sailing! :D So it sounds like you're staying near IAH? And yes, post on the roll call. Like I said I know there are lots flying in...the group I'm with are coming in from ALL over. So they may be interested in the information. Good to hear from you! Happy Wednesday!

Archived