Live from the MUTINY on the Sea princess

kimberley

I feel Princess has a responsibility to keep their ships in top condition and this is certainly their fault. I'm with the OP, I would be very upset about the situation.

Cruise line should be responsible for mechanical problems because this is a maintenance issue within their control. Trust me the cruise line will play hardball with companies supplying poor power plant equipment.

Cruise lines are not responsible for acts of god like weather and flu.

None the less these boards have proven the more you complain regardless if the cruise line is responsible the more you get.

Moral of the story is expect to see LOTS more complaints on these boards. Cruise lines reward complaints so the cruise lines will get more complaints.

One missed port seems to be a part of the deal, but multiple missed ports on an expensive cruise like the med or asia would probablly tick me off.

At least these boards will help us decide which ships to avoid.

I don't usually post without reading at least most of the postings. I am this time though.

I understand all the potential problems and accept they may happen. What I don't understand is that the cruise lines continue to sail ships they know are deficient ..... without informing the passengers.

Several years ago we sailed the Ryndam in the Caribbean and missed several ports due to an engine problem. We accepted that as ... that's how it is.

We were booked on her 6 months later on a 19 day repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver.

The same problem was still there. We missed 3 Mexican west coast ports and arrived late in Vancouver. We had transfers with HAL to Seattle that we almost missed because they screwed it up so bad. We found others on the same bus we eventually got on had paid a lot less than we did (we understand if you do it with the cruise line it will be more ... but not if we would have missed the bus with them).

The only rebate from HAL was the difference in the (overpriced) bus ride to Seattle.

No compensation for anything. Sorry for the tirade ... I hadn't thought about it for a long time and brought up unpleasant memories.

Moral of the story ... We know things can go wrong and accept that.

We don't understand that they continue, with the knowledge of the cruise line, and don't inform their passengers.

Well, let's face it, it's not like they have a spare ship ready at some port to bring in and pick up the slack when another ship needs repair.

I'd also imagine that perhaps they aren't stockpiling parts for ship engines, as that would be expensive and unnecessary for the most part... I mean orchestrating a fix to an engine in a port that isn't cut out for that purpose and doesn't have the parts or the manpower to do it would be difficult.

It's kind of like if a plane has a problem...sometimes in that instance flights are simply cancelled or severely delayed, because they don't have a plane within range to take the passengers, and have to fly one in from somewhere else... I know, cause it's happened to me before.

But in the case of a plane, people can die of they don't fix it... In the case of ships, they just get angry!

I try to think of it this way, and I'm not saying it's right, but if it was your company, would you be willing to blow hundreds of thousands of dollars cancelling a cruise, or would you simply risk a bit of anger from passengers and sail at half speed? I know what I'd do.

Nancyquilts, assume you are on the Alaska cruise leaving May 24. I would be most interested in how your cruise was changed. I am booked on the June 3 cruise. Thanks. PS I am from Santa Rosa.

Skagway is the only port that is the same.

We'll be in Ketchikan (hopefully) from 10-3 instead of 7-3.

Juneau is 1:30-10pm instead of 5am-10pm.

Tracy Arm is on May 28th in the morning (before Juneau) rather than on May 30th.

Victoria will be 6-11am instead of 6am-2pm.

We'll try to get home on time for you.:D

Well, let's face it, it's not like they have a spare ship ready at some port to bring in and pick up the slack when another ship needs repair.

I'd also imagine that perhaps they aren't stockpiling parts for ship engines, as that would be expensive and unnecessary for the most part... I mean orchestrating a fix to an engine in a port that isn't cut out for that purpose and doesn't have the parts or the manpower to do it would be difficult.

It's kind of like if a plane has a problem...sometimes in that instance flights are simply cancelled or severely delayed, because they don't have a plane within range to take the passengers, and have to fly one in from somewhere else... I know, cause it's happened to me before.

But in the case of a plane, people can die of they don't fix it... In the case of ships, they just get angry!

I try to think of it this way, and I'm not saying it's right, but if it was your company, would you be willing to blow hundreds of thousands of dollars cancelling a cruise, or would you simply risk a bit of anger from passengers and sail at half speed? I know what I'd do.

After 6 months they at least have a duty to inform the passengers. As I said the first time we accepted it but we wouldn't have taken this cruise had we known the problem still existed.

After 6 months they at least have a duty to inform the passengers. As I said the first time we accepted it but we wouldn't have taken this cruise had we known the problem still existed.

I agree with you... 6 months is an awfully long time to know of a problem and not do anything about it.

I'm just saying it must be pretty hard to orchestrate large scale repairs on a ship when these ships are pretty much cruising 100% of the time, except when they're refurbished in dry dock.

I wonder if they have any sort of system for dealing with such things... it doesn't sound like it...

I'll be on the June 3rd sailing to Alaska on the Sea. Its sad to hear they have not fixed her yet, and are sailing her to Alaska with reduced port times. At this point there isn't much I can do, but none the less I will make the best of it and enjoy my cruise. P.S. I am also from Santa Rosa!

I'm glad I canceled the 10 day Dea Princess and went with the 14 day B2B on the Diamond.

I wondered what happened when you dropped out of sight on the roll call.....:confused:

The four of us cruising together have already scheduled vacation time from work, house/pet sitters, etc. So, we are still going and hoping for the best.....:)

Archived