Live from the MUTINY on the Sea princess

kimberley

We boarded the Sea Princess on the 2nd of May. Everything was fine until they had trouble retrieving a life boat after a drill. We should have sailed at 6pm from Antigua, but left at 2.00 am. This meant we were late getting to St Martaen and got 2 1/2 hours late. They then cancelled Princess Cays because of Engine problems and gave us $50 what an insult. We then returned to our cabin to find to find that they have now changed the timing to Aruba and NOW cancelled cartenga. A meeting was arranged for today. Apparently Captain Russell was instructed by his " Immediate Boss's" not to speak to us!!!!! He expected around 30 people there was nearly 500 people there. It was very heated and people are so upset. There is around 300 passengers that have are doing the cruise 2nd May - 24th May. The rest got on yesterday and knew nothing. Some had not even been told about not going to Mexico. Now the itinery as nothing liked we booked. Those that gone on yesterday have 9 days at sea out of their 14. Apparently we have to make the Panama Canal on time and then nobody knows if we will stop and if the other ports of call will be cancelled.!!! I can't tell you how bad the feeling is on here and how upset the passengers are. Some just what to get off!!! I am sure that it is going to get worse before it is going to get better

Kimberley

Hi Kimberley,

Please tell us more,

Have the engines been fixed, had trouble when we were onboard.

Why could they not get life boat back onboard.

Captain Russell is a good captain would expect he would chat to folk of record.

As to Mexico press releases say no ships docking many cruises still sailing to no where, just sea days.

Drop e mail direct to Princess UK and get ball rolling , I think you want 50% refund as a future cruise credit as a minimum.

yours Shogun

We boarded the Sea Princess on the 2nd of May. Everything was fine until they had trouble retrieving a life boat after a drill. We should have sailed at 6pm from Antigua, but left at 2.00 am. This meant we were late getting to St Martaen and got 2 1/2 hours late. They then cancelled Princess Cays because of Engine problems and gave us $50 what an insult. We then returned to our cabin to find to find that they have now changed the timing to Aruba and NOW cancelled cartenga. A meeting was arranged for today. Apparently Captain Russell was instructed by his " Immediate Boss's" not to speak to us!!!!! He expected around 30 people there was nearly 500 people there. It was very heated and people are so upset. There is around 300 passengers that have are doing the cruise 2nd May - 24th May. The rest got on yesterday and knew nothing. Some had not even been told about not going to Mexico. Now the itinery as nothing liked we booked. Those that gone on yesterday have 9 days at sea out of their 14. Apparently we have to make the Panama Canal on time and then nobody knows if we will stop and if the other ports of call will be cancelled.!!! I can't tell you how bad the feeling is on here and how upset the passengers are. Some just what to get off!!! I am sure that it is going to get worse before it is going to get better

Kimberley

Kimberley, So sorry to hear this is happening (again). The Sea Princess has some problems a few years ago which cancelled half the ports of call it was to visit. We had friends onboard that sailing and they were very disappointed.

I am afraid though that those passengers rebelling haven't read their cruise contract, they may need to pull it up and have a read. It totally explains that the cruise line has the right to omit or cancel any port of call. BUT...............if it is due to mechanical difficulties, or a problem with the ship, I would guess that Princess will do as they have done in the past and give future cruise credit to those affected by these changes. When it is a problem with the ship itself, Princess is normally quite generous in this area.

Best of luck, and I am sorry to say, with this many disgruntled passengers onboard, the cruise won't rank up there with one of the best you have ever sailed on.

I just hope the passengers don't get too carried away, it could be devastating to all onboard.

Best of luck, I hope whatever is the problem, they are able to repair it quickly.

I can certainly understand your disappointment, but you might want to keep a few things in mind:

Your passage contract does state that Princess has the right to change the itinerary for any reason, so they are within their rights to do what they are doing. Any compensation they offer would be a goodwill gesture, NOT something they are required to do. I have been on cruises and missed ports, usually because of high winds. We never received or demanded compensation, its part of the risks you take when you cruise. All we got was a refund of our port charges.

Its only a guess, but based on what you have said, it sounds like they are alterning the itinerary because of an engine problem and are trying to continue the cruise at a reduced speed. Entry to the Panama Canal is by reservation so they likely do not have any flexibility with that time. If they can't keep up normal speed then some ports are going to have to go.

If I were the Captain and had an angry mob of 500 people try and tell me how to run my ship, I wouldn't talk to you either. Many times how you ask has a direct result on the outcome and how cooperative the other party is. You might want to keep that in mind as things progress.

If at this point anyone getting on board a cruise ship originally bound for Mexico doesnt know that their itinerary will likely be altered, then, IMHO, they are living under a rock.

I hope everything works out, but do keep in mind that you are on a cruise, on a beautiful ship where you don't have to do anything but be waited on. I have to go to work tomorrow - want to trade? :)

Kimberley, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It's actually not that unusual for a ship to have a problem getting a tender up; in the past year, I've been on two ships that had that problem, one on HAL, one on Princess. On my HAL cruise in January, the Falklands was a tender port and we had a problem getting the anchor up. The ship had drifted a bit and the anchor had dug in. Also, it's not at all unusual to miss Cartegena due to the political climate in Colombia. These things happen.

As has been said, in order to make their Panama Canal reservation (if you miss your specific day and time, you don't get to go back to end of the line, you don't get in), the Captain had to make a decision as to how best to make that reservation. If people couldn't go through the Panama Canal, chances are they would have been even more upset.

A cruise ship is not a floating Marriott, it's a ship at sea with a lot of mechanical and electrical parts. Some things break down, unfortunately. While they don't have to, I hope Princess gives everyone onboard more than $50; since the problems are Princess', they should make good with at least a credit towards a future cruise. That would seem reasonable to me.

The Sea Princess generally does longer cruises and does have a history of "mutinous" cruises, but it is not always the ship. Several years ago it was doing its 14-day circle the Caribbean cruises, with boarding at both Barbados and Ft. Lauderdale, when consistently inconvenient high winds caused it to miss a great number of its Caribbean ports, especially for its Ft. Lauderdale passengers. We boarded also at Ft. Lauderdale, but with the next cruise, so we had half a ship full of Barbados passengers who had experienced half of the problems and the tail end of the "mutiny."

What most disturbed the passengers was that they could not visibly see a storm, and knew that ships from several other cruise lines had successfully docked in the supposedly high wind conditions. Of course, these passengers were not privileged to all the information: exactly where Sea Princess might have needed to dock itself, if the already docked cruiseships did not complicate the docking for Sea Princess, whether or not conditions were changing by the hour, etc. And the fact that the captain was the slightly infamous "Crash" Nash did not help.

Of course the passenger discontent accomplished absolutely nothing of value, except to dominate table conversation and perhaps disturb the 1500 passengers who were not a part of the supposed 500 mutinous souls and hopefully were enjoying the improvised cruise.

Personally, I am amused by those whose reaction is "we are not getting enough compensation." One always wonders if they see anything as they travel the world. One certainly appreciates the sense of frustration in not visiting a long anticipated itinerary locale, but I do believe a couple of weeks in a village in Mali, Burkino Faso, Malawi or some other impoverished land would help their perspective. On the other hand, perhaps their sense of entitlement puts them beyond redemption.

Bill

The Sea Princess generally does longer cruises and does have a history of "mutinous" cruises, but it is not always the ship. Several years ago it was doing its 14-day circle the Caribbean cruises, with boarding at both Barbados and Ft. Lauderdale, when consistently inconvenient high winds caused it to miss a great number of its Caribbean ports, especially for its Ft. Lauderdale passengers. We boarded also at Ft. Lauderdale, but with the next cruise, so we had half a ship full of Barbados passengers who had experienced half of the problems and the tail end of the "mutiny."

What most disturbed the passengers was that they could not visibly see a storm, and knew that ships from several other cruise lines had successfully docked in the supposedly high wind conditions. Of course, these passengers were not privileged to all the information: exactly where Sea Princess might have needed to dock itself, if the already docked cruiseships did not complicate the docking for Sea Princess, whether or not conditions were changing by the hour, etc. And the fact that the captain was the slightly infamous "Crash" Nash did not help.

Bill, I understand what you're saying and totally agree. However, the current problems are not wind or weather-related but rather mechanical issues on the ship which IMHO is Princess' responsibility to make good with something better than $50.

We left the ship yesterday and on top of everything else that has had happened to us our coach broke down after we had been taken to a hotel for lunch.There was lots of confusion and finally we were able to be taken to the shopping mall on another coach and did arrive at airport on time for our flight home.

Please keep us updated as had heard about meeting just as we left ship yesterday and enjoy rest of cruise as best you can

Having had a lovely 2 week cruise on Sea Princess in January I feel sorry for you but these thing sometime happen.

Captain Russell is a very approachable captain. He will be doing his best in the situation.

Unfortunately there is all the small print when you book so you have to take the good with the bad. We missed Ocho Rios one year with P&O because it was too rough to tender but nobody even thought of compensation.

I would have loved more sea days.

Remember, there is still all the lovely food and entertainment to enjoy, and don`t forget the sun.

I am sorry for your dissapointment with your cruise. But, we didn't get to go to on our Mexican Rivera Cruise on the Sapphire May 2,-9th. We were dissapointed also, but we had a fantastic time. We cruised around Calif. This of course was not the cruise we signed up for six months ago. We have read Princess Contract and know they must make changes as needed. Maybe you might consider a land vacation next time. Unless there is a tornado or hurricane or sunami or......well, maybe you might want to just stay home. Sorry for you.:eek:

I guess I don't understand. To the OP it sounds as if everything that could go wrong did. But to make things worse (and I know it was not you) and have 500 or so people complaining and yelling and such just seems so juvenile. Wouldn't be much more fun to just accept the situation, laugh, have a party and enjoy? I know I would hate to be on a ship with a bunch of complaining people. It is not like the ship had problems on purpose. Or the Captain is secretly on the bridge laughing at all the missed ports and angry people. He is doing the best he can. Please find some happy people and enjoy the cruise.

My suggestion to the OP is to look at this as a "glass is half full" rather than "glass is half empty" situation. The Sea Princess is a wonderful ship and missing a few ports just gives you more time to enjoy the ship and what she has to offer. As far as I'm concerned, you aren't missing much with skipping Princess Cays, and I would certainly not mind skipping Mexico for health reasons. Making your Panama Canal reservation is the most important thing, and I am sure all of you will be compensated somehow with your "inconvenience", though I don't see why Princess would be obligated to do so. You are on a cruise!!! Enjoy it!!! Would you rather be going to work?

Maria

Yes- i remembered this, it happened last week Tuesday.

When i looked out my window and saw Sea Princess

still in harbour, i was wondering if it was gonna over

night, but i was told that one of the tenders weren't

going up, so they had to use a crane for assistance.

so sorry you had to go thru that..

There are a whole lot of folks who do not understand the vagaries of cruising, ships, or the ocean.

Certainly most cruises go just as planned and laid out in the brochures. However, some do not and when that happens, experienced cruisers understand and do not expect "compensation".

To have visited Mexican ports during the uncertainty that existed concerning "Swine Flu" would have been the height of folly and all cruise lines rearranged their itineraries in the best interest of the passengers.

Cruise ships are mechanical marvels with thousands of pieces and sometimes some of them fail and need to be repaired.

Those who can not understand exigencies of cruising probably should elect some other form of vacation activity with a guarantee that nothing will break, there will be no changes and the glass always being totally full.

Sorry you're having unexpected itinerary problems. The long and short of it is there is almost nothing passengers individually or collectively can do regarding life boats, engine failure, or swine flu epidemics... The line itself can't control all these either. I was on a cruise where Cartagena was cancelled (it was a 'key' port in deciding that non-Princess cruise); cancellation occured shortly before the cruise rather than during though (I'd still like to get back there).

Passengers at this point on your cruise will either decide to enjoy sea days or they will decide to have a 'ruined' cruise. The cruise line is not in control of its passengers' attitudes. As on any cruise there will be those that are looking for a calamity to cry foul over and will relish the camradery of misery. Not my type. The anger-fest of a passenger mutiny may ('may' as in 'might' or might not) earn you an additional hundred or two of currency (won't likely make ANY difference), but at what cost; it'll be the attitude that ruins the cruise not the itinerary.

Time for some promenade deck vacation meditation (the Sun Class has a first rate promenade:))

So sorry!

I can sympathize. Our first cruise ever was with Carnival, and the ship had mechanical issues, unknown to the passengers boarding, of course. The following morning staff proceeded to tell us we would have about 1/2 our itinerary changed. We only received a refund of port fees for the port we missed, nothing for the port that was shortened nor for the loss of the glacier sailing (and highlight of an Alaskan cruise, my opinion). No other compensation.

That has been several years ago, and while I was highly upset at the time I learned not to be surprised with deviations/cancellations and, as such, only book cruises at rock-bottom pricing now. That was a very expensive lesson!

I still love cruising, and we even cruise Carnival if I find an exceptional bargain. Don't let this incident turn you against cruising... and try to enjoy the remainder of your cruise. You're there already, and onboard, nothing can change the circumstances you're stuck with. Only you have the power to make the best of it, for what it's worth.

I was on a cruise where Cartagena was cancelled (it was a 'key' port in deciding that non-Princess cruise); cancellation occured shortly before the cruise rather than during though (I'd still like to get back there).

I've been to Cartagena once before. The place is a hole. If I never get back there again I won't be upset.

I've been to Cartagena once before. The place is a hole. If I never get back there again I won't be upset.

I used to love stopping in Cartagena. The walled city is amazing and is a UNESCO world heritage site. Excellent seafood there, too.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Last year our very First cruise was on the Ruby Princess to the Western Caribbean, having had a reasonable day in Jamaica we looked forward to getting off at our second stop in Grand Cayman ! ..... being right behind and above the Bridge our cabin gave us a great view of the island despite the overcast early morning and a mild wind.

At around 7am ...yes we were up early .... the Captain gave out the message that we were not going to be allowed off the ship because the port authorities had deemed the sea to be rough! his opinion was that it didnt look that bad to him .... our still pictures and video confirmed his appraisal of the sea state at that time.... so we had a sea day.

ok ...so first ever cruise and one stop missed out of two .....:( certainly cant blame the Captain or Princess, it happens and it is something that you should be prepared for..... after all if you had booked a land holiday to Mexico in the last 2 weeks you would probably have been sat at home right now but instead the ship being able to move is doing just that and taking you somewhere else instead........ :D

Instead of 500 or so people ranting at the Captain common sense should have dictated that a spokesperson or persons nominated by the group could have sat down with him and his staff and discussed it in the proper manner.... maybe Mutiny was the wrong choice of word by the OP ! and i would hazard a guess that the Captain of a cruise ship faced with such a situation could in effect put them off at the next port of call as he could with any other unruly or drunk individuals ....

Personally, I am amused by those whose reaction is "we are not getting enough compensation." One always wonders if they see anything as they travel the world. One certainly appreciates the sense of frustration in not visiting a long anticipated itinerary locale, but I do believe a couple of weeks in a village in Mali, Burkino Faso, Malawi or some other impoverished land would help their perspective. On the other hand, perhaps their sense of entitlement puts them beyond redemption.

Bill

I admit that I wish to be compensated in some cases when my vacations don't go as planned. The reason being, so much have been sacrificed on a day to day in order for the trip to happen. I don't get the opportunity to cruise as often as I wish, so each one feels like an once in a lifetime opportunity. Only 'good things' are often appreciated/permitted on these boards so rarely you get a chance to read about something going wrong. The only ship I knew that ever got in trouble was The Titanic, until this one. A couple of week in the village you mentioned might still look like a vacation to some of the places I have been. I hope there are more posts like this, so new and periodic cruisers know that sh1t can and do happen. Thanks to the Mexico scenario, I have read repeatedly the Passenger Contracts. However, this is a mechanical failure which place it in a slightly different category. How forgiving would you be about mechanical failure on an airplane that your spouse or child flew on or is flying on? Yes, it can happen but still quite scary bringing into foucs the BIG WHAT IF.

OP- One of my absolutely worse vacation turned out to be one of my most treasured. I decided since I couldn't change the direction the vacation was going, I was simply going to move in that direction. I discovered some amazing things, I hope you do as well.

Archived