Live from the MUTINY on the Sea princess

kimberley

Bill, I understand what you're saying and totally agree. However, the current problems are not wind or weather-related but rather mechanical issues on the ship which IMHO is Princess' responsibility to make good with something better than $50.

I agree with you in principle, but too many people come to expect what I think is excessive compensation. For me, I just like being on a ship......

Bob

. . . Instead of 500 or so people ranting at the Captain common sense should have dictated that a spokesperson or persons nominated by the group could have sat down with him and his staff and discussed it in the proper manner.... maybe Mutiny was the wrong choice of word by the OP ! and i would hazard a guess that the Captain of a cruise ship faced with such a situation could in effect put them off at the next port of call as he could with any other unruly or drunk individuals ....

And if I were one of the other 1500 passengers trying to enjoy my vacation, I think I'd be delighted if the captain put off the 500 rabble-rousers! They're probably are doing more to ruin the vacation mood of everyone else than missing the ports did.

Dw and I love Cartegena, but it is a port of call that is dependant on political considerations, just like Haifa or Alexandria.

I've been to both, Columbia, and Spain.

I guess taht any port could be a 'hole' or a jewel, depending on perspective!

I spoke with a friend who is working onboard as a contract entertainer and he filled me in on most everything... I even warned him that he was in for a whole lot of unhappy folks, which he already anticipated.

While I totally sympathize with the OP, I also hope passengers realize that not only are they disappointed but so are the crew, staff, and other employees! :( They want everyone to be happy and enjoy their cruise, and when all these changes are made it impacts them as well. Sea days are the hardest for them and with the 4 or 5 right at the end until they arrive in SFO, I expect they will be pretty miserable too!

My understanding was they would be adding two additional ports to make up for Mexico. I believe they are Nicaragua and Ecuador.

To the OP and all the other passengers, I do hope you try to enjoy your cruise, and as another poster mentioned take those lemons and make them into lemonade!

All my best,

VB1

We boarded the Sea Princess on the 2nd of May. Everything was fine until they had trouble retrieving a life boat after a drill. We should have sailed at 6pm from Antigua, but left at 2.00 am. This meant we were late getting to St Martaen and got 2 1/2 hours late. They then cancelled Princess Cays because of Engine problems and gave us $50 what an insult. We then returned to our cabin to find to find that they have now changed the timing to Aruba and NOW cancelled cartenga. A meeting was arranged for today. Apparently Captain Russell was instructed by his " Immediate Boss's" not to speak to us!!!!! He expected around 30 people there was nearly 500 people there. It was very heated and people are so upset. There is around 300 passengers that have are doing the cruise 2nd May - 24th May. The rest got on yesterday and knew nothing. Some had not even been told about not going to Mexico. Now the itinery as nothing liked we booked. Those that gone on yesterday have 9 days at sea out of their 14. Apparently we have to make the Panama Canal on time and then nobody knows if we will stop and if the other ports of call will be cancelled.!!! I can't tell you how bad the feeling is on here and how upset the passengers are. Some just what to get off!!! I am sure that it is going to get worse before it is going to get better

Kimberley

Okay, I am not a cheerleader and I would be upset at Princess for a bunch of reasons here related to the highlighted sections above. Trouble retrieving a lifeboat sounds like someone not doing his job well. Engine trouble? Not sure - but shouldn't scheduled maitenance take care of things like this? I wonder why the captain was instructed not to speak to passengers and can't help but think it relates to fear of legal actions from passengers as these two items were not beyond Princess' control.

Yes, I fully undestand the following:

"any day on a cruise is better than a day at the office"

"if you have lemons, make lemonade"

"read the passenger contract, you're out of luck"

"glass half full"

I guess I understand that people get disappointed when they don't get what they bargained for. When some work their butts off 50 weeks a year and save up for a special vacation and are let down by a cruiseline (and we're not talking about missing ports due to swine flu but to a ship being in disrepair and crew failing to do their jobs in retrieving lifeboats), they have a right to be upset.

What's it get you?

If a winch breaks on a tender hoist (on a 10+ year old ship) how is that foreseeable or repairable at the snap of a finger. When an engine bearing disintegrates, sure regular maintenance is meant to avoid it, but it happens...

Does this give one 'the right' to be upset? Sure, suit yourself.

So a combination of things - some uncontrollable some marginally controllable - has passengers in a snit; especially those that love snits and the aggrandizement of them. The captain is responsible for operation of the ship generally, the hotel aspects less so, and passenger accounts even more less so. HQ hasn't decided what 'level' of compensation is going to be given, and the most shrill will never be satisfied... Therefore, there's not much benefit in the Captain meeting the disgruntled.

So, the passenger must ask... Am I going to enjoy my time vacationing or am I going to incessantly raise my hackles in the outside hope that enough clamoring will get me $250 rather than $50-100. Since I'm not going to Mexico or impressive Cartagena anyway, the question is whether I will ruin my valuable vacation over onboard confirmation of some voucher amount or another. (In the bigger sense of things, I'm sure that a well written and reasonable letter to management after the cruise will accomplish more than throwing on board tantrums).

Last year our very First cruise was on the Ruby Princess to the Western Caribbean, having had a reasonable day in Jamaica we looked forward to getting off at our second stop in Grand Cayman ! ..... being right behind and above the Bridge our cabin gave us a great view of the island despite the overcast early morning and a mild wind.

At around 7am ...yes we were up early .... the Captain gave out the message that we were not going to be allowed off the ship because the port authorities had deemed the sea to be rough! his opinion was that it didnt look that bad to him .... our still pictures and video confirmed his appraisal of the sea state at that time.... so we had a sea day.

ok ...so first ever cruise and one stop missed out of two .....:( certainly cant blame the Captain or Princess, it happens and it is something that you should be prepared for..... after all if you had booked a land holiday to Mexico in the last 2 weeks you would probably have been sat at home right now but instead the ship being able to move is doing just that and taking you somewhere else instead........ :D

Instead of 500 or so people ranting at the Captain common sense should have dictated that a spokesperson or persons nominated by the group could have sat down with him and his staff and discussed it in the proper manner.... maybe Mutiny was the wrong choice of word by the OP ! and i would hazard a guess that the Captain of a cruise ship faced with such a situation could in effect put them off at the next port of call as he could with any other unruly or drunk individuals ....

I totally agree that the captain is problably one of the best captains I have come across. He says it as it is. I felt really sorry for him when every one was having ago at him. And no I didn't and would not have a go at him or his staff whom are trying their best to help us.

A spokesperson wanted to speak but the captain said no. He was given a list of questions and he said he wouldn't answer them from the list only the floor which I can understand. I think it may have been better to have had the meeting in the theater with microphones and given the captain space which he deserves, but some people don't realize that. He is doing his best and I hope that his powers that be apprecaite him and the position he has been put in. It could be that we only stop in Aruba and then San Francisco!!!

As the engine is still being repaired and he thinks it may take 5 -7 days to repair it we don't know what is going to happen. We are enjoying the cruise and the ship. The staff work very hard and always try and help.

Kimberley

I totally agree that the captain is problably one of the best captains I have come across. He says it as it is. I felt really sorry for him when every one was having ago at him. And no I didn't and would not have a go at him or his staff whom are trying their best to help us.

A spokesperson wanted to speak but the captain said no. He was given a list of questions and he said he wouldn't answer them from the list only the floor which I can understand. I think it may have been better to have had the meeting in the theater with microphones and given the captain space which he deserves, but some people don't realize that. He is doing his best and I hope that his powers that be apprecaite him and the position he has been put in. It could be that we only stop in Aruba and then San Francisco!!!

As the engine is still being repaired and he thinks it may take 5 -7 days to repair it we don't know what is going to happen. We are enjoying the cruise and the ship. The staff work very hard and always try and help.

Kimberley

Hi Kimberley,

Thanks for reporting back in... at least the Internet is working! :)

It sounds like you will be making the very most of your cruise and am wishing you a very happy sailing! Kudos to you for having a positive attitude and embracing your "adventure!"

Take care,

VB1

When the OP posts that "apparently" the Captain was instructed by his immediate boss not to talk to them, I take that for just what it is - an unsubstantiated statement. and this business of pity for someone who worked "so hard" for 50 weeks to have the "perfect" 2week vacation, is just not realistic. Life doesn't work that way so the advice to make lemonade and enjoy what you can of an otherwise troubled vacation is the best advice one can get.:)

........... Only 'good things' are often appreciated/permitted on these boards so rarely you get a chance to read about something going wrong..........

Gosh, I can't believe it but I disagree with you for once ;) Especially lately it seems that all that is on this board is negative and complaining!

........ Trouble retrieving a lifeboat sounds like someone not doing his job well. Engine trouble? Not sure - but shouldn't scheduled maitenance take care of things like this? ........ (and we're not talking about missing ports due to swine flu but to a ship being in disrepair and crew failing to do their jobs in retrieving lifeboats), they have a right to be upset.

I am pretty sure they mean the mechanics of the lifeboat lift, not the boat operator. Even with regular maintenance, mechanical things still fail.

The thing we've all been discussing alot lately is that sure, yes, you'll be disappointed. Maybe even the right to be "upset" - but angry or hostile? To the extent that you let it get the best of you so your whole vacation you've worked so hard for is ruined? Really?

..........While I totally sympathize with the OP, I also hope passengers realize that not only are they disappointed but so are the crew, staff, and other employees! :(

I'll say. I'm sure they did not have a happy evening when the lifeboat lift failed them, and the engineer officers running around stresing out ..... and the poor rest of the crew that has no control over any of it either and now has to deal with pissy passengers. They are NOT having a good time, they are working their you-know-whats off. Sometimes when I watch people I think working the Pursers Desk probably isn't worth it for any money. :(

I just recently came home from my 10 day Not-Mexican cruise on the Star, and I can assure you that no one was telling the passengers that they didn't have the right to be disappointed or upset. It was well understood by the whole wonderful crew and staff how much this trip had cost and how much the passengers were looking forward to sunny Mexico. Some had flown a very long way to be there. But really, once you get to be a certain age, as I have, you start to realize there is very little in this world that you have control over. At the top of the very short list is how you act and more importantly, how you react. You can either walk around all day with a bug up your behind (as my dad used to say) or you can make the best of the situation. And since moods are more catching than any old flu virus it isn't just yourself you make unhappy, but everyone you come in contact with. Sorry for the lecture.

These threads can be such great learning tools for the first time or periodic cruisers but often they go a mock with clichés, judgements and sarcasms. Sometimes we plan the 'perfect vacation' forgetting they will take place in an imperfect world. For me it's good to be reminded that I may have very little control over what happens, but how I react is completely up to me. The last time I had lemons I did Tequlia shots and got sick as a dog. Hmmm, maybe I should have made lemonade:p;)

Best wishes to the staff, this can't be easy for them. I hope the OP continues to update us.

Maybe it's because I've had to look at things different in life because of being a mom to two disabled kids in wheelchairs but if the ship doesn't sink and nobody got sick then hey it's been a great cruise. For us most ports aren't that accessible so we don't see a lot if any but the experience on the ship is worth the entire vacation.

Cindy

I can't believe the number of posters who think Princess doesn't owe the people on that cruise. Regardless of the legality, people on that cruise are entitled to compensation. I think some of the Princess "cheerleaders" would say that no compensation is needed if the ship never left it's original port. They would say "enjoy your time on the ship."

Aaaaargh m'dear!!!

With talk like "MUTINY" ye'll see the backside of the ship as they put you off in a longboat. Ye should be thankful you little thing, as folks've been flogged or put ashore for such talk.

Ciao for now!!!

I sail on the Sea Princess from San Francisco to Alaska and back on June 3rd. I hope they have her in working order by then...

You 'n me both, cos we're on that sailing too :D

That said, if it's a tender issue combined with Swine flu diversions/cancellations, it shouldn't impact on our Alaska cruise. There's no tender ports and no swine flu in Alaska (of which I'm aware).

We just have to worry about being covered in ash from an erupting Mt Redoubt!

Gotta love Mother Nature.

seems to me the fact that mexican ports are quarantined has been known for some time now. also mechanical problems can occur despite excellent routine maitenance. ships are a big complicated piece of equipment. and sometimes things break.

everyone who travels should know things can and do go wrong its part of the adventure. aircraft are often delayed for unknown reasons.

however if the ship is sailing but missing ports for mechanical issues it does seem to me princess has some responsibility for not delivering the advertised product. i dont care what the cruise contract says. it is implicitly understood that failing hurricanes/swine flu/civil unrest etc princess needs to deliver what they have sold.

i think i would be annoyed but would get over it and i do think the pax are deserving of some greater accomodation from princess

and organizing groups for "mutiny" is not the way to go! a bunch of hot heads will just annoy the captain, crew, and other passengers.

just my opinion.

I just recently came home from my 10 day Not-Mexican cruise on the Star, and I can assure you that no one was telling the passengers that they didn't have the right to be disappointed or upset. It was well understood by the whole wonderful crew and staff how much this trip had cost and how much the passengers were looking forward to sunny Mexico. Some had flown a very long way to be there. But really, once you get to be a certain age, as I have, you start to realize there is very little in this world that you have control over. At the top of the very short list is how you act and more importantly, how you react. You can either walk around all day with a bug up your behind (as my dad used to say) or you can make the best of the situation. And since moods are more catching than any old flu virus it isn't just yourself you make unhappy, but everyone you come in contact with. Sorry for the lecture.

Blondilu, you have put this so well, thank you for summing it up so nicely!

I have to tell you all that I am nearly in tears here, so happy to know there are so many of you out there who are willing to and encourage others to make the best of it and have a good attitude and not to be entitlement pigs and expect compensation.

Let me tell you a little story: I grew up in San Francisco, and when I was 24, I moved to Sydney, Australia (married an Aussie), where I have lived ever since.

I have grown increasingly sad and depressed and disillusioned over the last 15 years, as I have grown away from my American heritage, which has also allowed me to see it as an "outsider".

Some of you will have seen some of my other posts... I'm afraid I have pissed more than a few people off with my "assesment" of my fellow Americans, as I look at them from the outside world.

The longer I am away, the more I see the American population as a bunch of spoiled brats, and people who think they are entitled to something, just for BEING.

I have consistently been sad watching people complain about the Swine Flu and how unfair it is that their vacation has to be ruined by the "stupid cruise line". Hardly the cruise line's fault... they have two choices: Change the itinerary and listen to people whine about not getting to stop in the ports they wanted to, or stop anyway, and have lawsuits slapped on them when someone gets Swine Flu and blames it on Princess for stopping in a port!

So, you can imagine how incredibly happy I am reading this post, and seeing all you lovely people (many of you American, but not all, I realize), having a much better attitude about all this sort of stuff than I have seen from way out here in Australia in an awfully long time. You are a great example of the America I grew up in... one, I think, that got very damaged during 9/11, and hasn't totally recovered.

Thank you thank you thank you all, for encouraging each other to have a good attitude and good things will follow, and that there's no point in expecting things that are out of your control, or making others miserable! You are all good examples, and make me once again proud to be American. It's been awhile since I have!

Now, if it were me, I think in the very immediate light of finding out that we weren't going to stop in various ports, etc., I'd be rather upset. But when one starts thinking longer-term about it, you realize that you can either let it roll off you and have a good time, or ruin your time and everyone else's!

I'm glad to see Kimberley eventually came around. I suspect her original post was in that initial phase where you're dealing with the shock that your itinerary will not be what you expected! But then she realized, after a bit of contemplation, that that didn't necessarily mean it wasn't going to be a good time anyway!

I'm just crossing my fingers when we go to the Baltic in September we don't have any problems. It would be disappointing to not get to ports someplace like that, where you don't get to go everyday! But if it happens, it happens.

I know that if it is something like mechanical problems, Princess is likely to offer some sort of compensation. It's when it's out of their control, and not their fault (like swine flu) where I believe they are in their right not to offer any compensation.

And when you think about how many staff and how many meals they have to keep running on a given ship, it's a miracle things are as well-organized as they are! Quite incredible really.

So, here's to good attitudes and fun cruising, whatever the destination... even if it's only at sea on the ship!

I guess I don't understand. To the OP it sounds as if everything that could go wrong did. But to make things worse (and I know it was not you) and have 500 or so people complaining and yelling and such just seems so juvenile. Wouldn't be much more fun to just accept the situation, laugh, have a party and enjoy? I know I would hate to be on a ship with a bunch of complaining people. It is not like the ship had problems on purpose. Or the Captain is secretly on the bridge laughing at all the missed ports and angry people. He is doing the best he can. Please find some happy people and enjoy the cruise.

While a change in intinerary is probably stressful, I can't see joining a mutiny.

I agree whole-heartedly with Morriscats.....what is the saying: "make lemonade out of lemons" ?????? Some people see the cup half full, the others see it half empty. I want to cruise with those whose cup is half full. :)

Let me start by saying we've had "issues" (missed ports, shortened stops), etc.) on cruises that we've taken and have always just made the best of it and had a great time. We're very low maintenance and can enjoy ourselves in almost any situation. But, if all posted here is accurate, this seems like a case of "if it could go wrong ... it pretty much did." Princess Cruise Lines does have a Passenger Contract (as do all cruises lines) to protect them and give them the RIGHT not to do much in return for inconveniences. But, I believe that isn't necessarily the RIGHT thing for them to do. We seasoned cruisers seem too quick to tell folks "you should have read the small print before you left!" It seems to me that much angst could be avoided by cruise lines, airlines, etc., if they would just keep passengers informed in a timely manner. I realize that running a cruise line is "big business" and there is a financial ramification when they give a partial refund or future credit to thousands of passengers. But, I think cruise lines are also too quick to hide behind the contract when the "right thing to do is something different.

It's very easy for us to sit here in our homes and criticize folks for complaining too much. And, like many of you, I firmly believe that many indeed do "protest too much!" (you can usually judge by how many posts they've made). But, if I had actual been onboard experiencing these frustrations after investing, planning, anticipating and researching (for some this was surely "the trip of a lifetime") this trip I think that I too would have expected some sort of communication from Princess that would make the passengers happy.

Archived