Vancouver Customs can't keep up

I see no need to "Get into it" There are times when certain things happen with staff from either side. I wonder actually why we would expect these people to be nice anyways. Why would I want nice persons protecting my interests at the border of my country. Polite maybe but nice ? nope ! not required.

Staffing is a problem for bean counters & politicians and situations arise.

posted this message on Alaska Board and got no response. Just reading this thread here on the Vancouver board and looking for some advice. We are on Silver Sea Shadow(about 370 pax) and our docs say to board around 3.

Just checked this site:

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/ab...schedules.aspx

our SilverSea Shadow cruise departs sunday June 7th and i see that there are 2 other ships @ Canada Place that day. I can also see that those ships would have been into and out of this port several times already during the season whereas the Shadow will be arriving in Vancouver for the first time this season. Our boarding time is 3 and departure time is around 6pm. The other two ships are the Norweigan Sun and the Statendam. Any reason to be concerned?

So-should we go at 3 or wait till later? Thanks for any advice as we have never had a cruise experience where we are lining up with passengers from other, much larger ships.

I'm thinking that your cruise line has done your planning for you. With such a small (relatively) number of pax there should be no line for your boarding of the ship. The only time you would be mixed with the others is upon entering Canada Place where everyone goes through a general security check. At 3 PM lines there should be way better than the usual noon-2 rush.

From there you go to an area controlled by your cruise line.

Thanks LeftCoast, for your prompt reply. I suppose i was nervous in part, because this will be the first time the ship is in Vancouver this season and was concerned that some unexpected issues could arise but that can happen any time! I rechecked my docs and see that boarding time is actually 3-5. Perhaps we should walk over to Canada Place, see what is going on then either head over with our bags or busy ourselves a while longer. We are with two other couples, all of us staying @ the Pinnacle Marriott so hopefully one of our group can get a late checkout and we can keep our bags in that room as long as we need to.

Thanks LeftCoast, for your prompt reply. I suppose i was nervous in part, because this will be the first time the ship is in Vancouver this season and was concerned that some unexpected issues could arise but that can happen any time! I rechecked my docs and see that boarding time is actually 3-5. Perhaps we should walk over to Canada Place, see what is going on then either head over with our bags or busy ourselves a while longer. We are with two other couples, all of us staying @ the Pinnacle Marriott so hopefully one of our group can get a late checkout and we can keep our bags in that room as long as we need to.

If you aim to check in at 4pm you should not encounter any lines for security as NCL and HAL passnegers would most likely already have proceeded through and checked in. Your idea of checking out Canada Place is a good one - you can see the security check point from the terminal entrance. If there is a long line up, simply go for a walk and come back later. As someone else mentioned, that's really the only point you will be mixed in with all cruise passnegers - once through security screening and US immigration you will have no lines to check in with your cruise line!

Archived