Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

We will be in Dubrovnik on October 9. We are sailing on the Queen Victoria. This will be our second visit. Please can you tell us where the synagogue is as we did not visit there last time. We will also visit the Rupe museum and ride the cable car, weather permitting.

Thank you,

Pam

I found it very interesting that often street names here are very simple. For example to locate the Rupe one needs to located "Siroka Ulica" which means big street. This particular street is bigger than all other streets, with the exception of the main promenade called the Stradun." With that in mind, you can understand that the Synagogue is located on Jewish Street. Every street off the Stradun has a red banner hanging at the entrance which names each site located on that street, this will help you find places.

Very important, once you reach the Pile (pill-ay) area, stop at the tourist bureau office and pick up a town map. It is the same map that I posted here on page 23. This tourist map has all the major sights numbered and shown and it is very valuable for guests. Enjoy your time here.

We will be on the Serena and calling at Dubrovnik for our last port of call. It will be 30th October. Will it be hot enough for shorts?

We are travelling with our children aged 6 and 8 and would appreciate any recommendations of what to do (or not to do) with children. This will be our last stop and we don't want to miss out on a must see, but are aware that we could have tired little legs so we won't be able to do everything.

How tall is the wall? How long will it take to do it all? Will the children be able to see over the top? Has anyone taken their children on the wall?

Costa always is at anchor in the old port located just at the old town entrance and you will be tendered. Your ship is only in town from 1200 until 1700, so your time is limited to the afternoon.

The city walls are not dangerous for children, there are side walls but they are not overly high. Yes, everyone takes their children on the walls, and you do need to keep your eyes on them. One would need to fly to fall off. I only panic when I see guests sitting on the ledge for a photo, that is pure stupidity. You should consider only walking half the wall, begin at Pile entrance and walk the sea side as it is the easiest part. Come down at the Maritime Museum and make a rest stop of one of our outdoor cafes.

Our weather has changed earlier this year, by 01 September the temperature dropped from 30C and we are now at about 24C average daytime. I doubt highly that you will have weather suitable for shorts. Just remember to layer, tee shirt under a sweater and lite weight slacks. The best pair of walking shoes you can find, our stone streets can be slippery when wet. Keep checking the many Dubrovnik weather webistes for current conditions and don't forget your umbrella.

Dubrovnik is a town of old historical sights and it means walking from one to another. It's not a big town and you can make some stops as you go, allowing the children to have small breaks. They would probably like the Rupe Museum, it is my favorite.

Enjoy your time here.

Costa always is at anchor in the old port located just at the old town entrance and you will be tendered. Your ship is only in town from 1200 until 1700, so your time is limited to the afternoon.

We were in Dubrovnick last May and below is a photo I took with a Costa ship anchored off the old city. The passengers were tendered to the old town harbor. This is a photo I took while we were on the wall.

2570576810096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

Please could you tell me the price of the wall for children?

Also is it true that the price of the wall is double if you pay in euros? 70 kuna or 20 euros, is that right?

Is the Pile entrance the one we would come to first having caught our tender? Someone who was on the Serena last week said they docked and didn't tender, do you think that was due to rough weather?

I thought I read that there is a tram in Dubrovnik, have I imagined it?

Edited by Jo and Rob

Please could you tell me the price of the wall for children?

Also is it true that the price of the wall is double if you pay in euros? 70 kuna or 20 euros, is that right?

Is the Pile entrance the one we would come to first having caught our tender? Someone who was on the Serena last week said they docked and didn't tender, do you think that was due to rough weather?

I thought I read that there is a tram in Dubrovnik, have I imagined it?

During high winds, Costa will dock at the Gruz harbor which is located about 15 minute taxi ride into town. This ride will bring you to the Pile (western) entrance into the old town. If at tender you will arrive at the Ploce (eastern) part of the old town, no taxi needed. You will have a choice of taxi or ship shuttle to reach Pile area.

The legal currency of Croatia is the Kuna, it is to your benefit to use it. And no prices do not double if you choose to use your Euros. The cost to walk the wall is 70 Kuna per adult, 30 Kuna per child. They will accept Euros, cost is 10 Euros adult, 5 Euros children 7-18 years. If you expect to do a few more sights, buy some lunch, purchase a tee shirt, book or any rememberance, it is to your advantage to obtain some Croatian Kuna. We have many ATM machines located all over, you can use your debit card and get as little as 200 to 2,000 Kuna. Exchange rate is charged by your American bank which is always better than the local banks or our private exchange houses. I still use my ATM card from my California bank to obtain Kuna every month.

The cable car has just reopened this past July, it had been destroyed during the homeland war in 1991. The cable car will take you up to the top of Mt Srd for a view of the town, which is fantastic.

FYI, I am an American (Croatian) expat who has choosen to live here.

During high winds, Costa will dock at the Gruz harbor which is located about 15 minute taxi ride into town. This ride will bring you to the Pile (western) entrance into the old town. If at tender you will arrive at the Ploce (eastern) part of the old town, no taxi needed. You will have a choice of taxi or ship shuttle to reach Pile area.

The legal currency of Croatia is the Kuna, it is to your benefit to use it. And no prices do not double if you choose to use your Euros. The cost to walk the wall is 70 Kuna per adult, 30 Kuna per child. They will accept Euros, cost is 10 Euros adult, 5 Euros children 7-18 years. If you expect to do a few more sights, buy some lunch, purchase a tee shirt, book or any rememberance, it is to your advantage to obtain some Croatian Kuna. We have many ATM machines located all over, you can use your debit card and get as little as 200 to 2,000 Kuna. Exchange rate is charged by your American bank which is always better than the local banks or our private exchange houses. I still use my ATM card from my California bank to obtain Kuna every month.

The cable car has just reopened this past July, it had been destroyed during the homeland war in 1991. The cable car will take you up to the top of Mt Srd for a view of the town, which is fantastic.

FYI, I am an American (Croatian) expat who has choosen to live here.

Thank you so much for all your information. You are better than the internet! Would we have time to do the cable car and wall (bearing in mind we are only there for the afternoon)? How much is that in Kuna and Euros for adults and children please? If we only do one which would you recommend?

I thought that if we tendered we wouldn't have to bother with a taxi as we would already be in the old town. Is it complicated to walk through the old town to the Pile entrance and then do the wall? I take it they accept euros at the Pile entrance as well? Do you walk clockwise then? I imagine the taxi would be cheaper as there are four of us?

Thank you so much for all your information. You are better than the internet! Would we have time to do the cable car and wall (bearing in mind we are only there for the afternoon)? How much is that in Kuna and Euros for adults and children please? If we only do one which would you recommend?

I thought that if we tendered we wouldn't have to bother with a taxi as we would already be in the old town. Is it complicated to walk through the old town to the Pile entrance and then do the wall? I take it they accept euros at the Pile entrance as well? Do you walk clockwise then? I imagine the taxi would be cheaper as there are four of us?

May I please suggest that you go back to page 23 of this post and download the town map. This will give you a feel for the town and how it is layed out, it will be much easier for you to decide where to go and how.

If weather and wind is a problem, the changes will happen on the morning of your arrival in Dubrovnik. If you are at tender, you are in the old town already. If it's the Gruz harbor, then you will need transportation to the old town.

The cable car is 73 Kuna per adult, have no idea how much they charge for children perhaps 30 Kuna. At todays exchange rate that will be about 10-12 Euros and 4-6 Euros.

I would choose which venue to do upon arrival, weather depending.

There is only one direction to walk the walls, there will be signs to guide you and it is counter clockwise.

Dubrovniktravelady: I assume, from what you have written previously, we would walk counterclockwise from the Pile gate to the Ploce gate for the red-roof views and easiest walking? In my mind's eye I was picturing walking in a clockwise direction, but then a later post specifically mentioned a counter-clockwise direction. Thank you for clarifying, and thank you for all the advice you give on this board.

There is only one city wall and the old town is located inside. The wall is 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 650 steps spread throughout. There are 2 main entrances with 1 smaller one which is a bit more difficult to located. If you want to walk only 1/2 then I suggest you enter nearest to the Pile (pill-eha) gate which is the main and busiest entrance. You can then walk the sea side and have views of the Adriatic Sea and the red roofs of the old town. Going down at the Ploce (plo-cha) exit, you will have done the easiest part and will be close to the opposite side of the old town, close to the old harbor.

I do suggest that you go back to page 23 and located the post where I did give the website for our Dubrovnik tourist map. By using this map you will be able to see how the one wall surrounds the old town. It will be a very useful tool for your visit.

Is the cable car route close to the old town walls? Where on your map is the cable car entrance?

The tourist map was printed before the cable car opened. You will have to ask at the tourist bureau office to show you exactly where the entrance is located. It's not the easiest to find, especially on your own.

Beware of anyone who tells you to use the Buza gate exit. You'll be walking up many, many, many steps just to reach the road. Best to get specific directions at the tourist bureau.

The old town of Dubrovnik is small, nothing is too far from anything here.

Dubrovniktravelady: I assume, from what you have written previously, we would walk counterclockwise from the Pile gate to the Ploce gate for the red-roof views and easiest walking? In my mind's eye I was picturing walking in a clockwise direction, but then a later post specifically mentioned a counter-clockwise direction. Thank you for clarifying, and thank you for all the advice you give on this board.

Don't worry about walking the wrong way on the wall. There is signage posted to direct you, and you will notice the traffic flo. Every now and then someone decides to walk against traffic, they always create disharmony as the path is safe but very small. Do remember, it's always best to ride the horse in the direction it's going.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the cable car route close to the old town walls? Where on your map is the cable car entrance?

We were just in Dubrovnik and went up the cable car. Great views and a nice lunch in the cafe at the top.

The easiest way to get to the cable car station (providing you can climb a few steps) is to exit the old city at the Ploce gate. Walk up the hill keeping the city walls on your left. After a short distance you will see a carpark on the right hand side of the road. Walk across the carpark and by the pizzeria in the corner you will find a staircase which looks like it only leads to the outdoor tables but it will take you all the way to the base station.

Edited to add: the cost for adults is 73Kuna and they DO NOT accept Euros. They will take payment by credit card.

Edited by uktraveller

Dubrovniktravelady, we will be in Dubrovnik on November 12, 2010 (Star Princess arrival at 0900 and departing at 1800). Since it is not tourist season and most likely the operating hours of the major attractions are different when it is not tourist season, I was hoping you could give me some idea of:

what the weather is like at this time of year;

the hours for the Wall;

at this time of the year does it matter which entrance you use to gain access to the Wall;

hours of the cable car;

if you can recommend other must not miss attractions, and there operating hours. This will greatly help me plan our limited time in Dubrovnik.

Thank you in advance.

We were just in Dubrovnik and went up the cable car. Great views and a nice lunch in the cafe at the top.

The easiest way to get to the cable car station (providing you can climb a few steps) is to exit the old city at the Ploce gate. Walk up the hill keeping the city walls on your left. After a short distance you will see a carpark on the right hand side of the road. Walk across the carpark and by the pizzeria in the corner you will find a staircase which looks like it only leads to the outdoor tables but it will take you all the way to the base station.

Edited to add: the cost for adults is 73Kuna and they DO NOT accept Euros. They will take payment by credit card.

Are these the same directions just worded slightly different?

This is the best way to find the cable car entrance, also the easiest.

Walk to the far eastern entrance to the old town called the Ploce (plo-cha) gate.

Once you exit the last arch you will reach a road, there's a small cafe across called "Lara."

Make a sharp left and continue up the walkway with the city walls on your left. Cross over the road, away from the sea when you reach the very first road on the left.

Go up the road, past the fire station on your left.

At the intersection, turn right and the entrance is just a few feet in front of you. You can't miss it.

Dubrovniktravelady, we will be in Dubrovnik on November 12, 2010 (Star Princess arrival at 0900 and departing at 1800). Since it is not tourist season and most likely the operating hours of the major attractions are different when it is not tourist season, I was hoping you could give me some idea of:

what the weather is like at this time of year;

the hours for the Wall;

at this time of the year does it matter which entrance you use to gain access to the Wall;

hours of the cable car;

if you can recommend other must not miss attractions, and there operating hours. This will greatly help me plan our limited time in Dubrovnik.

Thank you in advance.

November can be one of our wettest months here, we just don't know as every year our weather changes dramatically. The city walls and most of our museums will begin limited ours, from 0900 until 1500 daily. Last year I left for the states in early November, it was a perfect fall day. You should be prepared for cold, rain or a gorgeous fall day, who knows these days. Many small private shops will have closed down for our winter hibernation, but there are many which stay open all year, with limited hours.

If the Bura wind is blowing, the cable car will NOT operate, that's a given. It would be best if you stopped at the new tourist office at the Pile entrance and picked up the town map. They will show you how to find the cable car and all of our sights are numbered and locations are shown on this map. Enjoy your limited time here.

Walk to the far eastern entrance to the old town called the Ploce (plo-cha) gate.

Once you exit the last arch you will reach a road, there's a small cafe across called "Lara."

Make a sharp left and continue up the walkway with the city walls on your left. Cross over the road, away from the sea when you reach the very first road on the left.

At the intersection, turn right and the entrance is just a few feet in front of you. You can't miss it.

Not the same directions which I gave some time ago. Once you reach the parking lot, on your right cross the road and hear towards the trees and some small steps. Go up the steps, past what was an outdoor restaurant and you will find the cable car. I only suggest you stay on the road and not use the steps as they are partially hidden from view with the folliage.

The directions are the same, only slightly different. Either way the cable car is not visable from the old town, only the cables above can be seen. Again I stress if there winds are blowing from the north, the cable car will not operate.

Basically the same but instead of walking around the road past the fire station you can take a short cut by climbing the stairs. As Dubrovniklady said... the staircase is slightly disguised by trees, and you may wonder if the directions are correct, since it looks more likely to just be access to the restaurant tables, but stick with it as it comes out immediatley adjacent to the base station pay kiosk.

Edited by uktraveller

For those who keep asking where their ship will dock, I figured out how to check it out myself using Dubrovniktravelady's link here:

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

Look at the menus on the left and click on Cruising, third one down. That will expand the menu, then choose Arrivals/Departures and a separate window will pop up in Croatian, but you can figure out those are months, and you check the number of your month. (If you have pop-ups blocked, you might have to do something with your browser to unblock the pop-up for that page) You may have to do some scrolling down on the page to see the Search button, but it looks like a Search of Submit button, even in Croatian. This will take a few seconds but will eventually open a chart of dates and ships in English. Click on the chart and use your page down buttons to advance the chart to your arrival date.

Dubrovniktravelady, feel free to re-write this instruction and paste it into your post every time somebody asks where their ship is arriving. I figure if folks are savvy enough to be posting on CruiseCritic, they are savvy enough to figure out the chart and also savvy enough to locate both the port and old town on the tourist map you reference. I feel sort of bad about you having to look up everybody's berth for them.

Thanks for all the good stuff you have posted in these and other threads. I feel like I am ready to tour Dubrovnik on my own with all the help you have provided, and I have not even begun to read all of your threads. And I am also like you visiting right now in northern California, Marin County, and we had a just gorgeous day today here, as you probably did as well.

Thank you!! I had gotten as far as the chart but didn't know to click on it to get the full month. Found my ship at last.

The port of Dubrovnik web site is not necessarily correct. It showed Norwegian Gem on anchor from 12 noon to 8pm. We were actually in port from 1pm-9pm as always shown on the NCL schedule. We were supposed to anchor and tender in, but only 1 hour before we arrived it was changed to dock due to high wind. We were taken to the Pile gate by bus (free).

You are correct the port authority website is not always accurate. When the winds are blowing, all ships are diverted to the Gruz harbor. The only time one can be sure of where they'll dock is on the day of arrival, weather depending. However the site does give us a good idea of how many cruise passengers are arriving each day and that is why we look at it daily. Cruise passengers understand that an itinerary is subject to change at times due to any number of conditions.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

• 4 weeks later...
The tourist map was printed before the cable car opened. You will have to ask at the tourist bureau office to show you exactly where the entrance is located. It's not the easiest to find, especially on your own.

Beware of anyone who tells you to use the Buza gate exit. You'll be walking up many, many, many steps just to reach the road. Best to get specific directions at the tourist bureau.

The old town of Dubrovnik is small, nothing is too far from anything here.

An easy way to find the cable car base station is to look up the mountain for the cables and towers and walk towards where they end in the town. It is outside the walled city and a few blocks mostly uphill from the old town. http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

An easy way to find the cable car base station is to look up the mountain for the cables and towers and walk towards where they end in the town. It is outside the walled city and a few blocks mostly uphill from the old town. http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Actually the very best way to locate the cable car is to take a taxi to the entrance. Finding it by foot will take some walking and most of it will be uphill and many steps. That being said, do remember to check first with the tourist bureau if it is running. During high winds and rains, the cable car does not operate, especially fall and winter. We're having a very early winter, wet windy and cold many days, this year has been very different that last.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI for those who are arriving in Dubrovnik during the off season. The city walls are open daily from 0900 until 1500 as well as many of the other historical sights. There are still some outdoor cafes on the Stradun, many of which seem to have higher prices than others. The cable car will run, however not in the case of high winds. Best to check at the tourist bureau office at the Pile Brsalje area when you arrive. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.