Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Thanks for all your help on this thread!!! I tried the above but only can see 3 days in July. How do I see remaining days. I am also on the cruise/date (Sat July 17, 2010) you indicated 10,000 people and was curious which ships and what hours. Can you help? Thanks in advance!

Once you find your month, you must save that page as an attachment to your documents. Only then will you be able to scroll down and view the entire month. Once you've finished with the information, you can delete it from your computer. If you're having difficulty with that, ask a grandchild or young person as they are computer wizards. That's how I learned, from our granddaughter.

Where is Banje Beach? How do you get there. We will be on the Ruby Princess at the end of July.

Banje beach is on the far eastern side of the old town. Do note that it is a pebble beach, no sand at all. Half of the beach is free and the other has all the goodies, such as umbrellas, massage tables and such. Banje is the only walkin beach close to the old part of town. It's easy to find, ask anyone.

Banje (ban-ya)

For those considering the cable car, when it is completed, here is the view you will have from the top. I took this photo in 1989 during our first visit, when the cable car was operating.

2504221320096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

We will know on Sunday if the cable car will open. It does appear it will happen and the fares are shown as 70 Kuna or 10 Euros. I am not going up until after high season, it's going to be busy and too crowded for me. As for finding the entrance, it is closer to the Ploce (plo-cha) gate slightly above that area. You can ask at any of the local tourist bureau offices and they will give you a map and directions. Be prepared for some long lines...

cruiseequalsfun: there is no need to download the info. Go to the site and click on the month (use the numbers;)).

Go on the bottom scroll bar to get to the far right. On the right is the scroll bar for up and down.

Just to the left of this is an area that is really the scroll area for the list... if you click a couple of times it will move the schedule down to the next dates.

(I like to click and see where things are so didn't ask any kids :cool:)

Good luck - looks like 5 ships on your date... ugh!!

Banje beach is on the far eastern side of the old town. Do note that it is a pebble beach, no sand at all. Half of the beach is free and the other has all the goodies, such as umbrellas, massage tables and such. Banje is the only walkin beach close to the old part of town. It's easy to find, ask anyone.

Banje (ban-ya)

That's great help when you give us ban - ya.

Could you do it for Dubrovnik? This is what I've been saying and it's probably wrong. (Dub ro v nik). :confused:

Hold the Mortar and Say Dubrovnik

thumb_thumb_blog07_mortar.jpg

Enlarge photo

thumb_thumb_blog07_rickcameron1.jpg

Enlarge photo

Pero Carević (a Dubrovnik B&B owner) and Cameron Hewitt (co-author of my Croatia and Slovenia guidebook — just out in its first edition) met me at the Dubrovnik airport. Coming in from France, I suffered a little culture shock. Life here had the same energetic metabolism...but cheaper jeans, smaller cars, more broken concrete, and almost no fat people. Pale meat, pale pickles, and pale “juice drink” — all part of a tentative stability and affluence following their devastating civil war.

Within a few minutes' drive, we were parked at the towering base of Dubrovnik’s mammoth and floodlit walls. Pero walked me to his boutique guest house on a steep, tourist-free lane in Europe’s finest fortified port city.

Offering me some orakojvica (the local grappa-like firewater), Pero explained that he was wounded in the war but was bored and didn’t want to live on the tiny government pension — so he rebuilt his Old Town home as a guest house. Hoping to write tonight with a clear head, I tried to refuse the drink. But this is a Slavic land. Remembering times when I was force-fed vodka in Russia by new friends, I knew it was hopeless. Pero made it himself…with green walnuts. Giving me the glass, he said, “Walnut grappa — it recovers your energy.”

Pero described — holding the mangled tail of a mortar shell he pulled out from under the counter — how the gorgeous stone and knotty-wood building we were in suffered a direct hit in the 1991 siege of Dubrovnik. I didn’t enjoy touching it. The bedroom Pero grew up in was destroyed. His injury will be with him for the rest of his days. In spite of how those towering and mammoth walls were impotent against an aerial bombardment, life here was, once again, very good.

I took Pero’s photograph. He held the mortar…and smiled. I didn’t want him to hold the mortar and smile…but that’s what he did.

That's great help when you give us ban - ya.

Could you do it for Dubrovnik? This is what I've been saying and it's probably wrong. (Dub ro v nik). :confused:

You may have heard the name of my town on TV or perhaps by somone who has visited here. The Croatian language is a soft sounding language, the alphabet is much like that of Italy, France and Spain. A B C is not pronounced hard such as the English version. Give this a try: Du-brov-nik

You may have heard the name of my town on TV or perhaps by somone who has visited here. The Croatian language is a soft sounding language, the alphabet is much like that of Italy, France and Spain. A B C is not pronounced hard such as the English version. Give this a try: Du-brov-nik

I got it.....thanks again.

Dubrovniklady

We are cruising on the Regatta in October. We arrive in Dubrovnik on October 8th at 6 pm. Do you know where we dock? What do you suggest we do that evening? The next day, we are in port until 3 pm, so we thought walking the wall would be a perfect idea? Will we have time?

Thank you - you are so helpful- I really look forward to visiting Dubrovnik and wish we were in port longer

Dubrovniklady

We are cruising on the Regatta in October. We arrive in Dubrovnik on October 8th at 6 pm. Do you know where we dock? What do you suggest we do that evening? The next day, we are in port until 3 pm, so we thought walking the wall would be a perfect idea? Will we have time?

Thank you - you are so helpful- I really look forward to visiting Dubrovnik and wish we were in port longer

Your ship will be at dock in our newer port of Gruz. If you visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website, they will have very valuable information about what is going on during your time here. Evenings are special, not very busy and one can explore the old town and enjoy a good Dalmatian meal at one of our many restaurants. If you do walk the walls, please do so in the early am, just in case it does get busy and we still may have some hot weather. And of course the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd (sur-ge) for a view of the entire town and much of the coast should not be missed. Enjoy your time here.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

This part of the website is only in Croatian, but it's rather easy to figure out. Just check the month on the left hand side and scroll to the bottom and click on the part "Prikaz izvjesca". Give it a bit of time to open and you need to save it as an attachment so you can view the entire page. Hope this helps.

And yes, I do burn out on some of the same questions.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

Thank you! Arriving 7/30, will be 9,400 px arriving, but one large ship doesn't arrive until 11:30 a.m., so some good hope of not being too crowded in the morning. A great resource, thanks!

Edited by J&Jtravelcouple

Once you find your month, you must save that page as an attachment to your documents. Only then will you be able to scroll down and view the entire month. Once you've finished with the information, you can delete it from your computer. If you're having difficulty with that, ask a grandchild or young person as they are computer wizards. That's how I learned, from our granddaughter.

The schedule opens up in a separate window as a PDF file. Clik the save button which looks like a small floppy disk, pick the disk location to save it to, then save. After than you can go to "My Recent Documents" or to that disk location and double click on the PDF file to open it. Page through by the dates, or use Find (Ctrl-F) to search on your ship's name. The dates are above the ship list.

The schedule opens up in a separate window as a PDF file. Clik the save button which looks like a small floppy disk, pick the disk location to save it to, then save. After than you can go to "My Recent Documents" or to that disk location and double click on the PDF file to open it. Page through by the dates, or use Find (Ctrl-F) to search on your ship's name. The dates are above the ship list.

Yes, I have the entire season saved to my documents. It's easier for me to keep their entire year and I do often refer to this during the season. Much better for me to decide what time to avoid going to the old town. Very useful tool.

Hello Dubrovniktravellady!

You are certainly a wealth of information. I saw it asked in an earlier thread, but could not seem to find the answer, so I thought I would ask about Lokrum myself.

My husband and I want to walk the wall - I think we will be using that other entrance you recommended. Then we wanted to travel to Lokrum Island. We will be there on July 30th, on the Ruby Princess. Do you think we have enough time to do this? Also - are the beaches on Lokrum Island nice?

Thanks!!

You are certainly a wealth of information. I saw it asked in an earlier thread, but could not seem to find the answer, so I thought I would ask about Lokrum myself.

My husband and I want to walk the wall - I think we will be using that other entrance you recommended. Then we wanted to travel to Lokrum Island. We will be there on July 30th, on the Ruby Princess. Do you think we have enough time to do this? Also - are the beaches on Lokrum Island nice?

Thanks!!

Up in the right hand corner there is a box that reads SEARCH THIS THREAD. Put in what ever you are looking for..

There are no beaches as I understand on Lokrum. Stairs down to the rocky beach. Have fun and please let us know all about your ports of call.

http://www.lokrum.net/

http://www.panoramicearth.com/4796/Dubrovnik/Lokrum_Island_Fortress

marge

Edited by wwwmarge
added

Thanks!!

Lokrum is the swimming island for most locals, we go there to excape the heat and humidity. There are no beaches on the island! We just go off the rocky ledges into the sea, there is no sandy or pebble beach at all. They have put up ladders to get back up but do not expect to walk into the sea. Lokrum is a great place to cool down and wander and just visit. However swimming there may be difficult for those who do not want to jump into the sea from the rocks. Perhaps it might be better for you to visit Banje Beach, just a bit above the Ploce gate exit to the old town. There is no sand but small pebbles and you can walk in. Also the pay side of the beach does have lounge chairs, massage tables and umbrellas. The other side of the beach one does not pay, but it has no amenities.

Your ship will be in town from 0800 until 1800, you should more than enough time to walk the walls and have a swim. If you only do the sea side of the walls it should take about 1 hour allowing time for photos. Do note the more difficult parts of the walls are from any of the other entrances other than Pile. Pile has 65 steps to reach the top, but then the wall becomes the easiest part to walk. Do get up there as early as possible before the stones have become hot and make sure you have a sun hat, water and good walking sandals. During the summer heat I've found that I cannot make the wall walk, so I do wait until we start to cool down in September and October. Have a great day here, I do so every day.

Wow, thank you all for such great posts over the past couple of years, especially to Dubrovniktravelady for all the insights and wisdom.

We sail on NCL's Gem, arriving in Dubrovnik on September 5th and tendering into Old Town. Initially I read that 4 ships are in port, over 9'000 passengers :( However, after further review it appears 2 ships leave just after lunch, leaving only 4-5000 of us, still a lot but so so much better than 9'000.

After reading all the posts, reviews, and recommendations - we have decided to do the following:

Walk the wall

Sample some Lignji

Take a ferry to Lokrum island

If time permits, and it's open - take the cable car to Mt. Srd.

More research into closing times is needed as we dock at 1pm and leave at 9pm, and I want to ensure we don't arrive too late to fulfill our plans.

Very excited to see Dubrovnik and get a small glimpse of its splendor and culture. Thanks to you all for making this such a busy and useful thread!

Becky .

Wow, thank you all for such great posts over the past couple of years, especially to Dubrovniktravelady for all the insights and wisdom.

We sail on NCL's Gem, arriving in Dubrovnik on September 5th and tendering into Old Town. Initially I read that 4 ships are in port, over 9'000 passengers :( However, after further review it appears 2 ships leave just after lunch, leaving only 4-5000 of us, still a lot but so so much better than 9'000.

After reading all the posts, reviews, and recommendations - we have decided to do the following:

Walk the wall

Sample some Lignji

Take a ferry to Lokrum island

If time permits, and it's open - take the cable car to Mt. Srd.

More research into closing times is needed as we dock at 1pm and leave at 9pm, and I want to ensure we don't arrive too late to fulfill our plans.

Very excited to see Dubrovnik and get a small glimpse of its splendor and culture. Thanks to you all for making this such a busy and useful thread!

Becky .

You can find the answers to the closing times and fees at the Dubrovnik Tourist Bureau website. The cable car is open and running, fee is 70 Kuna per person and the view from the top of Srd is breathtaking. The last ferry from Lokrum goes at 1900, but by September this may change slightly. Most of our historical sights will stay open until 2000 every day. Time changes will begin about 01 October and change again 01 November. Enjoy your limited time here.

Thanks for all the info Dubrovniktravellady!

Just one question that I can't seem to find on the internet:

Since we'll be there on a Sunday, would you happen to know what time(s) (and what church) Catholic mass is at? I realize that it won't be in English, but it doesn't really matter to us what language it'll be in :)

Thanks so much! :)

Thanks for all the info Dubrovniktravellady!

Just one question that I can't seem to find on the internet:

Since we'll be there on a Sunday, would you happen to know what time(s) (and what church) Catholic mass is at? I realize that it won't be in English, but it doesn't really matter to us what language it'll be in :)

Thanks so much! :)

I do know for sure there is a mass at 0900 at our Cathedral and I thought there might be a later one also. Have a knee injury at this time and have been unable to get downtown to check for exact times. I have always assumed that mass here would be in Croatian, but maybe I assume too much.

One of our cats was named Miso.....he would go for walks with us at night.

Sorry to hear about your knee. That makes me want to ask how is your city or country on medical care? As you probably know ours over here is in a big mess.

If someone from a cruise ship needed medical attention would they have any problems. This is always a worry as we get older. (71-79 years young)

Hope you recover with very little problems.