Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravelady

Could you please give us the link to the port info that shows the ships arrivals. Had it once but lost it of course. ;)

Have a great weekend.

marge

Here's the site, you will need to figure out how to find your month. There is nothing in English, this part is only shown in Croatian.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

There will be a total of 3 ships and a grand total of 5570 passengers. Actually it's what we consider a light day in town. Enjoy your time here.

I think you forget our ship (the Equinox). According to the site you provided there are 3 ship in the port (5570 passengers) and 2 ships in old town (Equinox with 2850 passengers and the Club Med 2 with 392 passengers). This will be a total of 8812 passengers (a busy day according to the website)

I don't understand your question, how do you walk the wall? There's only one direction, it's counterclockwise and you begin at any of the 3 entrances. It might be helpful to you if you had a map of the old town, the best one is located on the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website.

As for lunch, cruise critic does not permit local residents to recommend any privately owned restaurants or shops. I am unable to help you with a lunch selection. However I can tell you that, in my personal experience, many of the restaurants with a sea view do not necessarily have good food.

Enjoy your time in my lovely town.

Thank you for your reply. I have already printed the map based on your previous suggestions. I am sorry my question was vague and confusing. What I meant was, given the number of people who will be in port that day, what do you suggest for a plan for the day? Is it best to start with a taxi or a bus ride to one of the entrances to the walls, and also is there a "best" entrance, again considering the large number of people in port? I grew up in a big city and I know that good planning and an early start helps one have enjoyable day. Thanks again - Maureen

Edited by maureenk

Thank you for your reply. I have already printed the map based on your previous suggestions. I am sorry my question was vague and confusing. What I meant was, given the number of people who will be in port that day, what do you suggest for a plan for the day? Is it best to start with a taxi or a bus ride to one of the entrances to the walls, and also is there a "best" entrance, again considering the large number of people in port? I grew up in a big city and I know that good planning and an early start helps one have enjoyable day. Thanks again - Maureen

Since you have such a limited time to spend in town, take advantage of the taxis waiting at the pier. For 10 Euros they will take you quickly from the Gruz harbor to the Pile Brsalje, the busiest and most congested area in town. Ask the driver how much extra to go from the harbor up to the viewpoint above the old town and drop at Ploce (plo-cha) entrance. You can then enter the old town via the so much less busier side of town. Just a few meters down, on the left, is another entrance to the city walls. Only 32 steps up to reach the walls and a much easier and less crowded entrance.

Remember, good walking sandals, a sun hat, bottle of water and losts of memory in your camera. The views are spectacular and unfortunately most guests don't bother to hire any guides, so they don't have a clue about the details of the old town. I do not believe that Dubrovnik is a do it yourself town, however most tourists think it to be so. However those folks do always miss the many hidden gems which is the essence of my home.

Since you have such a limited time to spend in town, take advantage of the taxis waiting at the pier. For 10 Euros they will take you quickly from the Gruz harbor to the Pile Brsalje, the busiest and most congested area in town. Ask the driver how much extra to go from the harbor up to the viewpoint above the old town and drop at Ploce (plo-cha) entrance. You can then enter the old town via the so much less busier side of town. Just a few meters down, on the left, is another entrance to the city walls. Only 32 steps up to reach the walls and a much easier and less crowded entrance.

Remember, good walking sandals, a sun hat, bottle of water and losts of memory in your camera. The views are spectacular and unfortunately most guests don't bother to hire any guides, so they don't have a clue about the details of the old town. I do not believe that Dubrovnik is a do it yourself town, however most tourists think it to be so. However those folks do always miss the many hidden gems which is the essence of my home.

Dubrovniktravelady,

I am new to this site as we just booked the Carnival Magic for its last European cruise. This will be our first trip to Croatia and you have given me plenty to do with your suggestions and your maps. We, for sure will be taking the 2 hour bus tour. You mentioned guides. Are you allowed to recommend any or can we just find one as we get off the ship? Any other suggestions as to obtaining more information about your city? Also, perhaps I missed it as I did not read all the posts, but where in Northern California did you come from? Thank you so very much for all the help you have given on this board.

Dubrovniktravelady,

I am new to this site as we just booked the Carnival Magic for its last European cruise. This will be our first trip to Croatia and you have given me plenty to do with your suggestions and your maps. We, for sure will be taking the 2 hour bus tour. You mentioned guides. Are you allowed to recommend any or can we just find one as we get off the ship? Any other suggestions as to obtaining more information about your city? Also, perhaps I missed it as I did not read all the posts, but where in Northern California did you come from? Thank you so very much for all the help you have given on this board.

No I am not permitted to recommend any particular guide. My suggestion is that you keep searching all travel formums. There are several who do allow specific suggestions from local residents. Again I do strongly suggest that you check out the Dubrovnik tourist bureau, the site is filled with very good information.

Before moving to Dubrovnik, I did live in El Dorado County and Contra Costa County. It's been 3 years and have no desire to return to the US. Dubrovnik captured my soul back in 1971, it only took me 37 years to get here.

I am interested in a price comparison for a seafood plate for two at Orhan's and also at Nava's. Does anyone know how they compare for both price and quality? Thanks - Maureen

As long as the seafood is fresh, which means caught that morning, the quality is going to be great. As far as prices go, I doubt highly if you will notice any big differences in prices as fresh fish is usually priced by the kilo. Sorry I can't make any further comments on either restaurant, it is forbidden by cruise critic.

Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

We are supposed to be docked in Split around 9 pm and have the evening and next morning there. How familiar are you with this town? Can you recommend anything we might want to do in town that evening? We will have an included tour of the town the next morning.

We are supposed to be docked in Split around 9 pm and have the evening and next morning there. How familiar are you with this town? Can you recommend anything we might want to do in town that evening? We will have an included tour of the town the next morning.

Please post your Split questions on the Split thread. Local resident Daniela will give you the best information about her town. I do not feel qualified to answer when I know there is someone else better. Enjoy your time in Split, it is a lovely town.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

I am interested in a price comparison for a seafood plate for two at Orhan's and also at Nava's. Does anyone know how they compare for both price and quality? Thanks - Maureen

We did not dine at either restaurant but found a small restaurant at a side street where we had a grilled seafood platter for 2 (220 kuna - approx $35). It included fresh bread, 2 small salads, 2 med size whole fish, 4 whole squid, 2 large prawns, about 2 dozen of mussels and some boiled potatoes and sauteed greens.

No view, but the food was excellent and the service very nice. The restaurant was called Konoba Laterna (4 tables outside, maybe 4 more inside).

Enjoy Dubrovnik. It was a highlight of our cruise !

Thanks, for stopping by the board it's so important to get the CC's suggestions. Please feel free to add to what our great hostess Dubrovniktravelady has contributed. :)

I don't post here because our cruise isn't until 2011 July 9-15 on Voyager :( but I read all the posts and by then I shouldn't have any questions.

For some reason our reservations for Hotel Bellevue were switched to this one, looked online at TripAdvisor but all reviews are a few yrs old, since it was closed for renovation....saw its website and looks nice, but can t tell from photos if it has beach, also says 10 min walk to Old Town but looks too far for that...Dbrovnik travel lady???can you help,we leave next Wed.and too late to get anything else in 5 star ratings....:eek:

For some reason our reservations for Hotel Bellevue were switched to this one, looked online at TripAdvisor but all reviews are a few yrs old, since it was closed for renovation....saw its website and looks nice, but can t tell from photos if it has beach, also says 10 min walk to Old Town but looks too far for that...Dbrovnik travel lady???can you help,we leave next Wed.and too late to get anything else in 5 star ratings....:eek:

I can tell you that the Villa Dubrovnik is the newest and the best 5 star hotel in town. It is not a 10 minute walk into town, but the very good news is that they have their own private speed boat which will transfer you back and forth. I would stay here in a New York minute, the view will blow you away. As for a beach, there is not any type of sandy beach. The pool area is fantastic and you will be able to swim in the sea, but there's no walk in beach. Personally i would take this property over anything else.

FYI Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell are there today, for how long no one knows. Just saw them on TV getting off the speed boat at the old town pier. It's a gem, with a view which is unsurpassed. Take it, you will love it.

A day trip to the Elefiti's would take too much time. This trip should not be done unless one has more than just one afternoon in town. Visiting all 3 islands is a must, they are more than spectacular. The all day trip usually cost about 250 Kuna per person, includes lunch and unlimited wine or beer. Wonderful trip!

I am afraid of heights and have a bad knee. How steep are the stairs to the wall?

Thanks for all the great posts.....

We will be arriving on October 7, 2010 on the Brilliance of the Seas.

We will be in port from 9am - 6pm.

Since that is off season, would you still recommend going to farther gate rather than the one right in town?

Will we easily find a guide for the wall?

How long does the wall take, and will we still have plenty of time to wander the town and have some lunch?

BTW....I see you lived in El Dorado County....we live in Nevada County, Grass Valley, Ca. :D

Thanks, Jeanne

I am afraid of heights and have a bad knee. How steep are the stairs to the wall?

The entrance at Pile has 65 steps and a hand rail. It is the busiest and most difficult entrance to the wall. The entrance closed to the Ploce gate is the easiest only about 35 steps. Once on the wall there is no way you can be afraid and even I can look over the edge. I also have a major fear of heights, if I can it anyone can. however if you do have a bad knee it is going to difficult for you to walk the entire wall. It is 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 650 steps spread throughtout. You can half, enter at Pile and exit at the Maritime Museum, it's the easiest part to walk. However if you have that great of a concern, then do not walk the walls. There is more to Dubrovnik than the city walls.

Please consider taking the Cabrio bus tour, they pick up at the Pile area. It's a 2hour bus trip which will take you to the top of old town at the viewpoint and all around the town, including the newer areas also. Cost is 90 Kuna, no Euros, no credit cards, Croatian Kuna only. It is a lovely alternative to walking the walls. Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

Thanks for all the great posts.....

We will be arriving on October 7, 2010 on the Brilliance of the Seas.

We will be in port from 9am - 6pm.

Since that is off season, would you still recommend going to farther gate rather than the one right in town?

Will we easily find a guide for the wall?

How long does the wall take, and will we still have plenty of time to wander the town and have some lunch?

BTW....I see you lived in El Dorado County....we live in Nevada County, Grass Valley, Ca. :D

Thanks, Jeanne

Please do check your itinerary as I show the Brilliance arriving on Thursday, 14 October here. I do understand October is considered off season in many areas, but not so much here. It is still a busy month and on that particular day a total of 5 ships are arriving in Dubrovnik, although only about 4,000 passenger total count.

If you want to walk the entire wall, then by all means do enter at the Ploce entrance. It is the easiest entrance to get up top, but the beginning of the most difficult part of the wall. This first part from Ploce is uphill with the largest amount of steps to reach the high point which is called Minceta Tower. You can always do only half, then it would be best to enter at Pile and do the sea side and go down at the Maritime Museum. It is the easiest part of the wall and there are still a good amount of steps. The walls are 2 kilometers long, 650 steps spread throughout and should take about 2 hours if you stop for photos. You need to decide upon arrival depending on our local weather. October is the beginning of our rainy season, it will still be warm but not hot. I do not go up on the walls during heavy rain, but many still do so.

You can easily walk the wall, have lunch and enjoy the many churches, museums and other sights in the old town. There is so much more to Dubrovnik than just the walls. The Franciscan monastery with the old pharmacy, Rectors Palace, Sponza, Rupe Museum (my personal favorite) and the many dramatic Churches. There is the old Synagogue, the Dominican Church with the their magnificent art display, the Maritime Museum and main promenade called the Stradun. The side streets are filled with many shops of all types, souvenirs, books, art, local traditional jewelry and the usual tee shirts. I am not allowed, by cruise critic, to recommend any guides but I believe it is better to wander the old town with a private guide, my own personal observation.

It is impossible to spend a few short hours in Dubrovnik and capture the essence of this town, but do enjoy your time here. I do every single day.

Please do check your itinerary as I show the Brilliance arriving on Thursday, 14 October here. I do understand October is considered off season in many areas, but not so much here. It is still a busy month and on that particular day a total of 5 ships are arriving in Dubrovnik, although only about 4,000 passenger total count.

If you want to walk the entire wall, then by all means do enter at the Ploce entrance. It is the easiest entrance to get up top, but the beginning of the most difficult part of the wall. This first part from Ploce is uphill with the largest amount of steps to reach the high point which is called Minceta Tower. You can always do only half, then it would be best to enter at Pile and do the sea side and go down at the Maritime Museum. It is the easiest part of the wall and there are still a good amount of steps. The walls are 2 kilometers long, 650 steps spread throughout and should take about 2 hours if you stop for photos. You need to decide upon arrival depending on our local weather. October is the beginning of our rainy season, it will still be warm but not hot. I do not go up on the walls during heavy rain, but many still do so.

You can easily walk the wall, have lunch and enjoy the many churches, museums and other sights in the old town. There is so much more to Dubrovnik than just the walls. The Franciscan monastery with the old pharmacy, Rectors Palace, Sponza, Rupe Museum (my personal favorite) and the many dramatic Churches. There is the old Synagogue, the Dominican Church with the their magnificent art display, the Maritime Museum and main promenade called the Stradun. The side streets are filled with many shops of all types, souvenirs, books, art, local traditional jewelry and the usual tee shirts. I am not allowed, by cruise critic, to recommend any guides but I believe it is better to wander the old town with a private guide, my own personal observation.

It is impossible to spend a few short hours in Dubrovnik and capture the essence of this town, but do enjoy your time here. I do every single day.

Dubrovniktravelady......opps.....I really made a mistake on our date of arrival:eek:

We will arrive on the Brilliance on NOV.7

Will many ships be in port that day?

We were originally scheduled for a June 8 departure from Barcelona, but due to a great price saving for our same cabin, and, being able to use my FF miles, we chose a later departure....saved us about $ 4000 by going at the later date:D

Hopefully we will have good enough weather.....Jeanne

Dubrovniktravelady......opps.....I really made a mistake on our date of arrival:eek:

We will arrive on the Brilliance on NOV.7

Will many ships be in port that day?

We were originally scheduled for a June 8 departure from Barcelona, but due to a great price saving for our same cabin, and, being able to use my FF miles, we chose a later departure....saved us about $ 4000 by going at the later date:D

Hopefully we will have good enough weather.....Jeanne

The good news is there is only one other ship in port that day, Costa and it is always at tender in the old port and your ship is at the Gruz Harbor. You can use the ship shuttle or a taxi to reach the old town.

The bad news is many of our restaurants and shops will have closed down for the winter hibernation, begins on 01 November. Museums and churches and the city walls will be open with limited hours, usually from 1000 until 1500.

I highly recommend you to be prepared for our weather, it is the beginning of our rainy season. You may find wet, cold and windy but hopefully just a clear cold day. Poor weather is probably the reason the cruise lines discount so heavily. Dubrovnik becomes a very small town again with only a few tourists. We do enjoy the quietness again, after a busy summer season. Enjoy your time here.

No, you cannot use euros for the Wall. You must pay in local currency.

Just returned from Dubrovnik and you can pay in euros for the wall (10 euros or 70 kuna). Most places take euros but at one cafe in Split the waiter could not or would not change a 10 euro note. He overcharged us for the drinks and gave change in kuna. I changed the kuna at an exchange place at a good rate but the waiter effectively overcharged us by 1 euro by using a lower exchange rate. If I went again, I would change some euros for kuna before spending any money.

As I have mentioned many times prior, Croatia is not part of the European Union and the legal currency of the country is Croatian Kuna. It is to your advantage to use the Kuna as everyone must accept it. When using the Euro to pay for purchases many do not have smaller amounts available for change. It is better to get a small amount of Kuna from an ATM, the exchange rate is then based on your own home country bank and it is usually a much better rate. I still use my local California ATM card here in Croatia and the rate is always much better than the local exchange rates.