Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

I have a few questions............ I am leaving Tuesday morning, so I am hoping you get this post to read soon.

1. If permitted can you email me annarob2@gmail.com it is somewhat of a personal question I have not wanting to ask publicly if possible. If not, I understand.

2. I read somewhere that the cable car will be starting on July 10. Can you tell me best way to get there?

3. We are arriving on July 11 on the NCL Gem, can you tell me what port and how many ships will be there also?

4. Do you really meet up with people for coffee? If so, how is it arranged?

5. My daughters were wanting to do some Kayak tour, do you know where that would be located, and has anyone told you anything about it as a review?

Thank you.

This is all I have on the cable car -----Don't remember with it was posted by Dubrovniktravelady - CABLE CAR

The viewpoint is on the highway above the old town as one would arrive from the Cavtat. It is a totally different view you will see from the top of the mountain via cable car. The ride to the top of the mountain should only take about 4 to 5 minutes and you can stay up there as long as you want. Once I've done the cable car again I will be sure to discuss the view and all the sights up top.

Am just waiting until it opens next month. As I've mentioned many times on other sites, construction deadlines are mostly a joke here. Nothing happens on time, cable car was originally scheduled to open by 01 May, 01 June, 01 July. It is now 10 July, we shall see. As for lunch, depends on what time you finish the wall and what time your ship departs Pick a nice place and do enjoy some of our famous local seafood.

Good Luck, Marge

Since my last post came at the end of a page, I am assuming you missed it. In that case, I am repeating it.

Have truly enjoyed reading all the posts - in fact, I can't keep up!:eek:

We will be in Dubrovnik on Nov 7th - with 2 other cruise ships, according to port schedule. From what I am reading, cable car will probably be closed, and we will need ponchos for the wall. Is there someplace you would suggest if it is truly bad weather? Also, I have a bad knee, so not sure if I can walk all the wall, altho husband has already told me he will :cool:

Thank you again for your help.

You mentioned that few take in your historical sights. Could you list some of your favorite ones, in case it is really bad weather (which I am expecting at this time of year...)?

Thanks.

We walked the wall our second trip in 1990 (on the Golden Odyssey) and I think we will do it again this May.

We walked the wall again on our Crown Princess cruise. Here are a couple of my favorite photos from that trip.

2107563480096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

2457259430096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

For all those interested... http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php

Just checked the site you posted, it does not appear to list all the ships arriving in our port on certain days. I have a website which not only posts ships, but also arrival and departure times and total passenger count. More information can be helpful when planning on visiting our local sights.

You can find this data, for Dubrovnik only, at the Dubrovnik Port Authority website. It is very good information for our area only.

Since my last post came at the end of a page, I am assuming you missed it. In that case, I am repeating it.

You mentioned that few take in your historical sights. Could you list some of your favorite ones, in case it is really bad weather (which I am expecting at this time of year...)?

Thanks.

There is valuable information about all of our historical sights listed on the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website. You can check opening times and fees and during the winter season, which begins on 01 November, the times are usually from 1000 until 1500 daily.

You may be able to walk the walls, depending on weather, doing only half. If you begin at the Pile entrance, you can walk the sea side and go down at the Maritime Museum. This is the easiest part with the least amount of steps. If I can do this walk in the heat of summer, anyone can do it! I am not young and do unfortunately carry a few extra pounds. Too many very good pastries...

Decide about the walls based on our local weather. It may be just a lovely fall day, but you can also expect it to be cold, wet and windy.

You are clear that many outdoor restaurants will be closed, some privately owned shops also. Our local stores are open for business, groceries, meat markets, etc. There will be many souvenir shops open on the main promenade during winter hours. It's going to be hit or miss as to what is opena and running in November. the cable car might, and I stress might, be running. We will not know until that day, it all depends on the winds.

Enjoy your limited stay in Dubrovnik.

American Expat

Just got back from cruise, and cable car looks like it will take awhile to get up and running.

The hotel,,,Villa Dubrovnik,,,,is absolutely fantastic...a little expensive,,but worth every penny..View is to die for, great pool, sea swimming area,great food...a little hard to find...so take taxi....

Sadly, agree about too many tourists overwhelming city on occasion...we did the city walls at 9am and already crowded from large tour groups....and,very warm....the quaint streets were packed...a little "too much"of a good thing, perhaps....Dubrovnik has been "discovered" by the large cruise ships....

We enjoyed just walking around, outside city walls, and found lots of great restaurants and scenery with fewer crowds....

We went to smaller towns,Piran,Rovinj,Hvar....and much less crowded and very scenic...hope they re not "discovered" by loads of tourists..hahaha:eek:

Just got back from cruise, and cable car looks like it will take awhile to get up and running.

The hotel,,,Villa Dubrovnik,,,,is absolutely fantastic...a little expensive,,but worth every penny..View is to die for, great pool, sea swimming area,great food...a little hard to find...so take taxi....

Sadly, agree about too many tourists overwhelming city on occasion...we did the city walls at 9am and already crowded from large tour groups....and,very warm....the quaint streets were packed...a little "too much"of a good thing, perhaps....Dubrovnik has been "discovered" by the large cruise ships....

We enjoyed just walking around, outside city walls, and found lots of great restaurants and scenery with fewer crowds....

We went to smaller towns,Piran,Rovinj,Hvar....and much less crowded and very scenic...hope they re not "discovered" by loads of tourists..hahaha:eek:

Thanks for given us an update.

From reading these posts since they were merged I decided to look at some non-tourist places. How much for the taxi or local bus to the smaller towns and which one was the most interesting.

And how much time would it take us. My other choice because it's July is trying to stay cool... maybe just go to LOKRUM or CAVTAT.

from our hostess....

"BUS - Take a bus ride down to CAVTAT, enjoy this lovely small town. Ferry boat leaves from the OLD PORT to Cavtat about every hour, it's a 45 minute ride along the coast.

I do this trip often, I prefer the water ride to the bus, but there is also Libertas Bus #10 which does go to Cavtat all day long. You can just hire a taxi to take you down, it's almost to the airport about a 20 to 30 minute ride, depending on your driver and traffic."

We arrive - July 13, 2011, RCL - Voyager of the Seas will be in on at Wed 8-5.

Do the buses have A/C?????? and what is the cost of taxi and ferry to Cavtat?

Thanks for all your help day, after day.

I d spend time in city, just go to a few sites in city walls and hit the side streets which are less crowded....it will take awhile for your ship to unload and ride to town about 15 min in launch ,which drops you off right at Old Pier in town center....if you try to go to small cities you may have to rush to get back to ship by 5...and they WILL sail without you.....our cruise took us to the cities I mentioned....too far to go on own in bus,etc.....

Then can wander up the hill and relax at the many seaside restaurants and look at view.....as you go up you ll see where the "locals" live and get great views as you look back at walled city.....and the walk down is easy...ps. personally I d pass on climbing city walls, LOTS of stairs,LOTS of tourists, can see similar view on hill above town and lots easier to navigate. There is a city beach a 10 min.walk up hill from town, can take a swim and chill out....lots to do in 8 hrs.,,,just relax and enjoy rather than rushing on bus or taxi.....of course, just my opinion....:)

I d spend time in city, just go to a few sites in city walls and hit the side streets which are less crowded....it will take awhile for your ship to unload and ride to town about 15 min in launch ,which drops you off right at Old Pier in town center....if you try to go to small cities you may have to rush to get back to ship by 5...and they WILL sail without you.....our cruise took us to the cities I mentioned....too far to go on own in bus,etc.....

Then can wander up the hill and relax at the many seaside restaurants and look at view.....as you go up you ll see where the "locals" live and get great views as you look back at walled city.....and the walk down is easy...ps. personally I d pass on climbing city walls, LOTS of stairs,LOTS of tourists, can see similar view on hill above town and lots easier to navigate. There is a city beach a 10 min.walk up hill from town, can take a swim and chill out....lots to do in 8 hrs.,,,just relax and enjoy rather than rushing on bus or taxi.....of course, just my opinion....:)

Very good suggestion. :cool: I really wasn't interested in the wall. It's like climbing the stairs at the church in Venice or Statue of Liberty too many people and exhausting. I really would like to go to the local beach and meet some locals.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

marge

My wife, 11 year old daughter and I will be in Dubrovnik on the Splendor of the Sea on July 17, 10:30 to 6:30. How crowded will it be that day? Any recommended tour guides? Where to have a late lunch? Besides walking the wall, any suggestions?

Mark, Lisa and Ashley

For those considering the cable car, when it is completed, here is the view you will have from the top. I took this photo in 1989 during our first visit, when the cable car was operating.

2504221320096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by JLC@SD

Dubrovniktravellady,

Thanks for the heads up. Five Ships is a lot. We are on the Celebrity Century.

We will take your adbvice and take a cab to the Vista, then to the less crowded entrance to the wall. We will get a guide to do the wall, then lunch in Old Town. That should take up most of our time there.

We will make it back to spend more time there.

We will be in Dubrovnik on Sept 13th on the Norwegian Gem from 10AM until 6PM. It looks like there will be 3 other ships there that day. Friends of ours have contacted at private tour company. For 300 euro the tour is half day starting at the port and going first to Paleokastritas, then Kanoni and then to Corfu Town. At Paleokastritas we can visit the grotto caves at our own expense. This seems like a lot to pay for a car and driver for a few hours. We can hire a guide for an additional 230 euros. Anyone done this or a similar tour or know of a less expensive tour?

We will be in Dubrovnik on Sept 13th on the Norwegian Gem from 10AM until 6PM. It looks like there will be 3 other ships there that day. Friends of ours have contacted at private tour company. For 300 euro the tour is half day starting at the port and going first to Paleokastritas, then Kanoni and then to Corfu Town. At Paleokastritas we can visit the grotto caves at our own expense. This seems like a lot to pay for a car and driver for a few hours. We can hire a guide for an additional 230 euros. Anyone done this or a similar tour or know of a less expensive tour?

Think you might have posted this tour under the incorrect town, it appears to be Greece.

My wife, 11 year old daughter and I will be in Dubrovnik on the Splendor of the Sea on July 17, 10:30 to 6:30. How crowded will it be that day? Any recommended tour guides? Where to have a late lunch? Besides walking the wall, any suggestions?

Mark, Lisa and Ashley

Looks like you folks win the grand prize, 10,000 cruise passengers arriving on your date. Cruise critic does not allow for me to make any specific recommendations, no tour guides and no restaurants. You will find many fine places for lunch, some with views and many with none. I can recommend that you do try some of our local Dalmatian seafood, it's always fresh and oh so good. If you're interested in checking some of our many historical sights, please do visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website.

Enjoy your time in my town.

Think you might have posted this tour under the incorrect town, it appears to be Greece.

You are right. We will be in Dubrovnik on the 19th. We have so many ports on this 2 week cruise that my head is spinning with information. I am subscribed to too many treads. I have enjoyed reading the information you have provided and will use it when there. It sounds like we will have plenty to do in Dubrovnik without taking a tour. Dubrovnik is the one place that my DH has always wanted to see.

Dubrovniktravelady

We will sail on JOURNEY AZAMARA and will be in port friday September 24th

We don't know to wich pier the ship will be anchored

Hope it will be in the old port as in 2009

How can we travel to Cavtat on that day?

Thank you for your help

h

Dubrovniktravelady

We will sail on JOURNEY AZAMARA and will be in port friday September 24th

We don't know to wich pier the ship will be anchored

Hope it will be in the old port as in 2009

How can we travel to Cavtat on that day?

Thank you for your help

h

This year we are showing the Journey to be docked in the new port at Gruz. This is not the old town as prior, it does mean taking the ship shuttle or a taxi to the old town. If you want to take the ferry to Cavtat, you must make your way to the old town and catch the local ferry from the old port, the same one you were at anchor last year. Cavtat is a wonderful place to spend time, you will enjoy the small town very much. Was down there the other day and it gets better each time. Enjoy your time here.

We will be in Dubrovnik on the Celebrity Solstice on June 16, 2011. Will there be lots of other ships in port that day? I am definitely more of an historical site person - museums and churches, including the wall. Will we have time to do some on our own and then a 1/2 day tour? Better to do the tour first, then roam on our own? Your posts are lovely and I am so glad you are enjoying this new chapter in your life! Thank you for any insights you may offer.

Dubrovniktravelady: you were right about the lack of info for ships in port at that site. I went to the port authority site and cannot find a list; perhaps you could give a link so we could stop asking you about every ship ;) You are a wealth of info... hate to have you burn out.

We will be in Dubrovnik on the Celebrity Solstice on June 16, 2011. Will there be lots of other ships in port that day? I am definitely more of an historical site person - museums and churches, including the wall. Will we have time to do some on our own and then a 1/2 day tour? Better to do the tour first, then roam on our own? Your posts are lovely and I am so glad you are enjoying this new chapter in your life! Thank you for any insights you may offer.

Just a bit too early for the entire listing for next year. Perhaps later this year, ask again sometime in November or December. The list does change a bit after the new year, adding more ships.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Dubrovniktravelady: you were right about the lack of info for ships in port at that site. I went to the port authority site and cannot find a list; perhaps you could give a link so we could stop asking you about every ship ;) You are a wealth of info... hate to have you burn out.

This part of the website is only in Croatian, but it's rather easy to figure out. Just check the month on the left hand side and scroll to the bottom and click on the part "Prikaz izvjesca". Give it a bit of time to open and you need to save it as an attachment so you can view the entire page. Hope this helps.

And yes, I do burn out on some of the same questions.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

This part of the website is only in Croatian, but it's rather easy to figure out. Just check the month on the left hand side and scroll to the bottom and click on the part "Prikaz izvjesca". Give it a bit of time to open and you need to save it as an attachment so you can view the entire page. Hope this helps.

And yes, I do burn out on some of the same questions.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

Thanks for all your help on this thread!!! I tried the above but only can see 3 days in July. How do I see remaining days. I am also on the cruise/date (Sat July 17, 2010) you indicated 10,000 people and was curious which ships and what hours. Can you help? Thanks in advance!