Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Thanks for all the great info DL!

We are a group of 8 (4 adults, 4 children) arriving in Dubrovnik on May 16th on the Norwegian Gem. Since our arrival time is later (1:00 pm-9:00 pm) would it make sense to go to Lokrum when it is warmer, to swim and play for a couple of hours, then return to the old town to walk the walls. Is it still a nice walk at dusk or sunset?

Kids are 13, 13, 11, and 10.

Your arrival is 16 May, you may find our Adriatic sea just a bit chilly for swimming. Yes we've been having nice weather but the water has not yet warmed up at all. I've seen a few brave souls on Banje Beach and they don't stay in the water for other than a few minutes. You can spend some time on Lokrum exploring and taking in the sights but I doubt that it will take the entire day.

As for the walls, as of today they are still closing down by 7pm. If you walk the entire wall and take photos it should take about 2 hours. You do need to make sure that you can make it around before control goes up and moves any folks down at the nearest exit. Closing time may change later this month, but I doubt that it will be extended much beyond 7pm. The fee is 70 Kuna or 10 Euros or $13, cash only no credit cards.

Some shops will take credit cards or Euros, it's hit or miss. Be very careful on the street vendors, much of the items they sell are imported from China. Most of the street vendors are not local, they only come in during the season to sell their stuff.

Enjoy your limited time in my gorgeous hometown.

Brilliance will be docked in the Gruz Harbor at berth 10 from 0900 until 1800. The cost of a taxi normally runs about 10Euros to the Pile Brsalje (Square). Since I never use taxi service here, it's hard for me to give out those prices. However I did notice a new sign posted about the fares. You should read the postings about walking the wall, it is very good information. And no, you may not use a credit card for the walls or any of the other sights. Most restaurants and some shops will accept cards, it's entirely up to the owner. There are many ATM machines in the old town, at the square and at the pier. When using the Euro here you will not get the best exchange rate, always better to pay with Croatian Kuna.

Thank you for all of the great information that you provide Croatia. It has been very helpful..we are looking forward to our time in this port. :cool:

Dubrovniktravelady you are a wealth of valuable information. A group of 7 of us are arriving on Sunday may 30, aboard RCCL Splendour of the Sea. We dock at 10:30am. As per your advice I am planning on taking a taxi (van for 7) to mt. sdr for view and pic and then the ploce entrance. Approx. how much would the van be? At the Ploce entrance would there be a place (ATM) to get kunas??? Plan on doing the walk of the wall from there, I believe counterclockwise and ending up in the old town (about how long would that take?) Then touring the old town, maybe lunch and meeting the local bus back to the ship. Does this sound correct to you? I appreciate any input and all the help that you hae provided here and on tripadvisor. It is wonderful that you get to live in such a beautiful place now and I can't wait to visit.

thanks, jean

Dubrovniktravelady you are a wealth of valuable information. A group of 7 of us are arriving on Sunday may 30, aboard RCCL Splendour of the Sea. We dock at 10:30am. As per your advice I am planning on taking a taxi (van for 7) to mt. sdr for view and pic and then the ploce entrance. Approx. how much would the van be? At the Ploce entrance would there be a place (ATM) to get kunas??? Plan on doing the walk of the wall from there, I believe counterclockwise and ending up in the old town (about how long would that take?) Then touring the old town, maybe lunch and meeting the local bus back to the ship. Does this sound correct to you? I appreciate any input and all the help that you hae provided here and on tripadvisor. It is wonderful that you get to live in such a beautiful place now and I can't wait to visit.

thanks, jean

If you're planning on finding a mini van for 6 waiting for you at the pier, I strongly suggest you prehire one as I have not seen any waiting for passengers coming off cruisers. Vans are used for longer excursions, day trips down to Montenegro or Mostar. There is no paved road up to the top of Mt. Srd, it's a a very narrow goat path and you may want to consider 2 taxis.

As for the Ploce entrance to the city walls, it is the easiest and the entire trip will take about 2 hours with photo stops. I do believe there is an ATM machine at that location, but am not positive. From the Ploce entrance to the old town, where there are many machines and is only a 5 minute stroll. "Maybe lunch" - Spending time here and not taking advantage of our fresh seafood would be such a loss, my favorite dish is grilled Adriatic baby squid.

During ship arrivals and departures our local bus is also crowded and you might find it best to use the ship shuttle, it's easier and faster. The bus stop at Ploce will not get you back to the ship, you must find the correct bus from the Pile Brsalje (square).

Perhaps more research, do use our Dubrovnik tourist bureau it's a wealth of information. Enjoy your stay in my home.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

We will be in Dubrovnik on May 23rd from the Brilliance of the Seas, do you have any idea where we will be berthed and what direction we should go to get a taxi. I think I will get maybe $50 worth of Kunas to spend here, as I do believe when in Rome..........

Thank you in Advance,

We will be in Dubrovnik on May 23rd from the Brilliance of the Seas, do you have any idea where we will be berthed and what direction we should go to get a taxi. I think I will get maybe $50 worth of Kunas to spend here, as I do believe when in Rome..........

Thank you in Advance,

Sunday, 23 May is going to be a very busy day in town with 3 ships arriving early morning into the Gruz Harbor, your ship will be docked at berth 10. You get off the ship and walk away from the big bridge toward the main exit. This is where you will find plenty of taxis just waiting for passengers. There are 2 other smaller exits and because of location to the main road, taxis are not often able to wait.

You can get your Kunas at any of the ATM machines in town, it's quite easy. You can pay for the taxi with Euros, it's usually about 10Euros from the port to the old town.

Enjoy your limited time in my hometown.

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady! I think maybe we will grab a taxi to Cavtat and see any sights the driver wants to show us on the way. Spend some time exploring Cavtat and then take the ferryboat back to the Old Town before heading back to the ship. Would you recommend lunch in Cavtat or Dubrovnik?

Thanks!

Kevin

When you return please give us the details.

marge

Has anyone experienced local currency problems in Dubrovnik. I will be travelling with euros and wondered if they can be used in Dubrovnik. I understand there are currency exchange places at the port but only intend to have change for walking the wall. Can I use euros for that?

I did read somewhere that you can use Euros in Croatian ports but still quoted prices like taxi rides in Kuna.

I did read somewhere that you can use Euros in Croatian ports but still quoted prices like taxi rides in Kuna.

Taxi drivers prefer to be paid in Euros or Kuna. However it is to your advantage to pay them in Croatian Kuna, especially these days as our US Dollar is rising again. As I have mentioned prior, it's hit or miss for shops and restaurants.

At the Ploce entrance would there be a place (ATM) to get kunas???

thanks, jean

We were there May 2nd and there is an ATM outside the walled area where we got our Kuna's, but I wish we'd stuck with Euro's as the fee charged by our credit card company to get the exchange was very high, and we made a mistake on how much to take out and had to do it again. OYE! It was a lovely day though and we were on vacation. Enjoy!

Dubrovniktravelady, thanks again, took your advice and hired minivan as we are a group of 7 adults, to take us to mt srd, for photo op and then the ploce gate to walk the wall. So I am sorry to bother you again, but walking the wall counter clockwise, would the view be of land rather than the sea side, until we get half way around and pass thru the pile gate??? It may seem like a silly question, but that is what the map looks like to me?

Jean

Dubrovniktravelady, thanks again, took your advice and hired minivan as we are a group of 7 adults, to take us to mt srd, for photo op and then the ploce gate to walk the wall. So I am sorry to bother you again, but walking the wall counter clockwise, would the view be of land rather than the sea side, until we get half way around and pass thru the pile gate??? It may seem like a silly question, but that is what the map looks like to me?

Jean

You will walk counter clockwise, this means the land portion will be first. Once you reach the entrance at Pile, the sea side will begin. Before you return to the ship, take the time to visit Fort Lovrijenac just outside the Pile Brsalje (square). You will have an entirely different view of Dubrovnik from the Fort which began construction sometime during the 11th Century. Above the door is an written "Freedom cannot be sold for all the gold in the world."

By the way, Dubrovnik was the first republic in the world to abolish slavery, we also had the first quaranntee in Europe and one of the earliest pharmacies. Small facts...

We were there last week and used Eros for the wall, they did not want dollars. It was a wonderful day.

Depends on which entrance you use. It is always to the guests advantage to use Croatian Kuna. You do pay slightly more by using the Euro, it's not a huge amount but it is more.

Hi,

We will be in Dubrovnik in Dec on our first MSC cruise. Great information here!! Nice to know we can use Euros. My husband also has trouble with his knees and does limited walking. Is the wall walk strenuous and how long would it take? What will the weather be like in Dec.

Thanks for any information.

Anne

Hi,

We will be in Dubrovnik in Dec on our first MSC cruise. Great information here!! Nice to know we can use Euros. My husband also has trouble with his knees and does limited walking. Is the wall walk strenuous and how long would it take? What will the weather be like in Dec.

Thanks for any information.

Anne

The weather in December will be cold, very wet and extremely windy. This is not the best time to be visiting Dubrovnik. This past winter it rained here for 3 months solid, with 3 days of sunshine the entire time.

The walls will be open on a very limited time period. Probably only from 1000 until 1500, but it would be extremely dangerous during high winds and rain. The walls are 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 650 steps. To enter at the main entrance one must get up a total of 65 steps to reach to top. You must decide if he can do it, and for many it is very strenuous. I can only do half these days, too tough on my knees.

The best time of year would be late October or early November. That being said you must understand that 95% of the outdoor restaurants will be closed down for winter. Also many shops are closed, especially during the holiday period. However you certainly won't find any crowds.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thanks so much for the information. I guess we will be dressed for winter like we do in Connecticut in Dec!!

Anyway to get up to the wall by taxi to avoid all those steps?? How about handrails on the steps? I guess if it is windy and rainy, we should just avoid the wall. Any suggestions on other choices for trips?

Anne

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thanks so much for the information. I guess we will be dressed for winter like we do in Connecticut in Dec!!

Anyway to get up to the wall by taxi to avoid all those steps?? How about handrails on the steps? I guess if it is windy and rainy, we should just avoid the wall. Any suggestions on other choices for trips?

Anne

Dubrovnik's old part of town is located within the city walls. They were built to protect the town from any invaders. The only way up to the top of the walls is by steps and the walkway is narrow, about 1 1/2 miles long. Throughtout the walls there are steps going up, a few going down and so on for a grand total of 650 steps. It does require a climb up 65 steps to reach the top and at that point one would be overlooking the old part of Dubrovnik.

There are no cars allowed inside the old part of town, but you can take a taxi up to the entrance. Dubrovnik is a town in which we stroll, no traffic other than tourists. Personally I would never consider a cruise to the Med in December, it's too wet and windy.

Hi,

I guess that is why this cruise is so reasonable --- visiting Dubrovnik in the winter. Oh, well. Still looking forward to visiting your city.

I checked out the visitor's website you posted and that has very good information.

Thanks, again!

If you're on the Brilliance on 10 August, you will docked at pier 10 in the Gruz harbor. This is always subject to change, but as of now I do not see any RCCL ship at tender on that date. However there is not sufficient time to visit the Elefiti's. Please do not try to make this trip in such a short time.

I choose to retire in Dubrovnik from northern California. I could not have made a better choice. Please do know that I have been coming here since 1971 and I have dual citizenship, American and Croatian. Croatia has long been Europe's best kept secret and I've seen it before the masses began to discover what was before thought of as a nothing place to visit. Perhaps the name Yugoslavia had something to do with this poor perception. so often friends would ask "Why are you going to Yugoslavia again?" Please do come and spend some time visiting the sights from Zagreb to Dubrovnik, about 3 weeks minimum. the most spectacular lakes and waterfalls are Plitvice Lakes, you can't even begin to imagine it. So much to see...

We will be on a cruise in September on Brilliance of the Seas with our 2 kids. When we found out that the cruise was to stop in Dubrovnik I was very pleased. Even though I have been to Europe 3 times I never ventured into that part of Europe as it was quite a few years ago and Croatia was not all that well known amongst tourists. I have met a few Croatian's here in Australia as many emigrated here in the 90's. They all speak amazing English. My Mum originally comes from Gorizia which is on the border with Slovenia and half her town was Italian and half Yugoslavian. I have heard that Dubrovnik is beautiful and we can't wait to visit your city.

I have a food related question. Our daughter who is 13 is a celiac which means she cannot eat food which contains wheat. Would it be quite easy to find food such as grilled calamari and other seafood that would not contain wheat. What other local specialties are there that might be suitable? She likes to try all types of food.

Thank you for all your advice on this site.

We will be on a cruise in September on Brilliance of the Seas with our 2 kids. When we found out that the cruise was to stop in Dubrovnik I was very pleased. Even though I have been to Europe 3 times I never ventured into that part of Europe as it was quite a few years ago and Croatia was not all that well known amongst tourists. I have met a few Croatian's here in Australia as many emigrated here in the 90's. They all speak amazing English. My Mum originally comes from Gorizia which is on the border with Slovenia and half her town was Italian and half Yugoslavian. I have heard that Dubrovnik is beautiful and we can't wait to visit your city.

I have a food related question. Our daughter who is 13 is a celiac which means she cannot eat food which contains wheat. Would it be quite easy to find food such as grilled calamari and other seafood that would not contain wheat. What other local specialties are there that might be suitable? She likes to try all types of food.

Thank you for all your advice on this site.

My sister has the same problem, I understand. Grilled Adriatic baby squid and other fresh seafood will not contain any wheat. By the way the Croatian word for squid is lignji, we don't call it calamari here. Make sure to stay away from the mussels as they do cook it with breadcrumbs. You will not find any breads here which are gluten free. Seafood risotto is excellant and we do have a black one made from squid ink, very tasty. Of course the seafood here is fresh and usually cooked on the grill. She should have not problems, just ask that her food be cooked with no flour. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Taxi drivers prefer to be paid in Euros or Kuna. However it is to your advantage to pay them in Croatian Kuna, especially these days as our US Dollar is rising again. As I have mentioned prior, it's hit or miss for shops and restaurants.

Dubrovniktravelady.

We are doing an Adriatic Explorer cruise next year, calling at Kotor,Dubrovnik,Split,Koper. What local currencies will we need? I know if anyone can tell me then it will be you.:)

Dubrovniktravelady.

We are doing an Adriatic Explorer cruise next year, calling at Kotor,Dubrovnik,Split,Koper. What local currencies will we need? I know if anyone can tell me then it will be you.:)

Koper is located in the country of Slovenia, they are part of the EU and will accept Euros. Kotor is part of Montenegro and they do accept Croatian Kuna or Euros. Dubrovnik and Split are towns in Croatia and our legal currency is Croatian Kuna. As I have stated that here it is hit or miss with Euros, some sights, shops and restaurants will take Euros. It would be wise to ask prior to making a purchase.

You might decide how much local currency you will need by what you're planning to do in each town. You can always locate an ATM to get a small amount of cash. I doubt if you'll have time to spend too much each day.

Begin your research, each of the towns listed have very good tourist bureau websites.

Koper is located in the country of Slovenia, they are part of the EU and will accept Euros. Kotor is part of Montenegro and they do accept Croatian Kuna or Euros. Dubrovnik and Split are towns in Croatia and our legal currency is Croatian Kuna. As I have stated that here it is hit or miss with Euros, some sights, shops and restaurants will take Euros. It would be wise to ask prior to making a purchase.

You might decide how much local currency you will need by what you're planning to do in each town. You can always locate an ATM to get a small amount of cash. I doubt if you'll have time to spend too much each day.

Begin your research, each of the towns listed have very good tourist bureau websites.

Thank you very much. I always do research before I travel but for this area, you are the best starting point.

Thanks again

Hi Dubrovniktravelady - We are Dave & Katie from South Texas - we will be in Dubrovnik on Tuesday 5/3/11 - maiden voyage of Carnival Magic - we have been to Dubrovnik twice and walked the Old City both times - do you have any suggestions for something different - land or sea - Thanks:D