Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravelady - thanks for all your wonderful information! I will be in the lovely city this September on a Sunday and so I'm wondering are there any Catholic churches that celebrate mass in English? Apparently our ship will not be providing Sunday mass any longer and it would be wonderful if we could find a local church instead. Thank you!

I am not sure if there is a English mass. You may have to wait until I return back to Dubrovnik in a few weeks for an answer. At this time I am still in California visiting family. Expect to be home again about 01 March. I will find out if there is a mass in English, but somehow I doubt it. One never knows.

Hello

I have been reading your really helpful replies and printed some of them out to take with us.

You seem to be able to check what ships and visitors will be in port on a certain day. Is there a website for this, or could you check for me? We will be on the Thomson Spirit arriving on Weds 9 June.

Thanks

April

Your ship will be docked in the Gruz port, berth 10 and as of now you are the only ship in port that day. This could change as there is the possibility of ships being added. It should be a lovely day with only 1400 guests arriving on that day.

I'm not sure if this was already answered, if so I apologize. We'll be in Dubrovnik on a Sunday in Sept. from 1:00 - 9:00. It looks like shops won't be open, but what about walking the wall?

I am confused, why do you say that shops will not be open. This past year we had some problems and we believe the Sunday closing is a thing of the past. Shops were open every day for the balance of the season, beginning about 01 May 09. You should have a lovely day discovering the wonders of my home.

As for the city walls, they are open rain or shine with limited hours in the winter. However this year the fee has increased to 70 kuna per adult, 30 kuna per child (12years and younger). Early September can still be very hot and humid so plan your time on the walls carefully. Sun hat, water, lots of memory in the camera and very good walking shoes.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

I am confused, why do you say that shops will not be open. This past year we had some problems and we believe the Sunday closing is a thing of the past. Shops were open every day for the balance of the season, beginning about 01 May 09. You should have a lovely day discovering the wonders of my home.

As for the city walls, they are open rain or shine with limited hours in the winter. However this year the fee has increased to 70 kuna per adult, 30 kuna per child (12years and younger). Early September can still be very hot and humid so plan your time on the walls carefully. Sun hat, water, lots of memory in the camera and very good walking shoes.

I'm glad to hear this. I read on one of the sites linked here somewhere that shops were generally only open until 2:00 on Sunday. Our ship doesn't get in until 1:00. I'm just anxious to see the city, walk the wall and have some of the local food & drinks! The information you've provided on these threads has been very helpful - thanks!

I'm glad to hear this. I read on one of the sites linked here somewhere that shops were generally only open until 2:00 on Sunday. Our ship doesn't get in until 1:00. I'm just anxious to see the city, walk the wall and have some of the local food & drinks! The information you've provided on these threads has been very helpful - thanks!

One must always remember the internet is a great research tool. However often the truth is not reality. Many websites, especially many Croatian websites are hardly updated. What is true yesterday may not be the rule today. Our shops closing on Sundays was a big mistake and only lasted about a month. They will be open and gladly help you spend your money. Do enjoy my beloved home, I certainly do every day.

By the way the view in my photo was taken from the mountain above which we call Mt. Srd (sur-ge).

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Dubrovniktravelady,

we always wanted to see Dubrovnik,and this was mostly why we chose this cruise,we will be on the MSC MAGNIFICA,july second.First,i think we might need visas,no?do you know how much will it cost?From what i have read till now ,the best way to get to old town (since we are a family of four)is by taxi,if the ship doesn t provide a shuttle.Once in the old town we can t miss the entrance to the wall (this is what we want to see).Correct me please if i am wrong.Thank you.

hi Dubrovniktravellady, can you tell me which berth the Eurodam April 21st will be in?

distance from town?

will only local currency be accepted for the city walls or are euros taken too?

thank you for any advice you can give us.

hi Dubrovniktravellady, can you tell me which berth the Eurodam April 21st will be in?

distance from town?

will only local currency be accepted for the city walls or are euros taken too?

thank you for any advice you can give us.

Gruz port can hold 3 large cruise ships. You will be in berth 10, 11 or 12 and they are adjacent. The entire port is very small and it is located about a 10 minute taxi or shuttle ride from the old town.

The city walls will accept Euros, Dollars and Croatian kuna. However it will not give a very good exchange rate. We have several ATM's located on the main promenade and it is to your advantage to obtain a small amount of Croatia Kuna.

We also on Eurodam 4/21. What kind on temperature can we expect? and for first time visitors any suggestions?

April is typical spring weather here. You may have a lovely sunny day or clouds and rain. There is no such thing as average temperatures these days. I do suggest you check out any of the weather sites and see what the average temperature has been for the last few years.

As for suggestions on what to see and do in Dubrovnik. You must visit the Dubrovn tourist bureau website, it is filled with suggestions and descriptions of our many sites in the old town. Their website is just a few posts above, please do download the map it is very good. Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik, the pearl of the Adriatic.

This is a wonderful thread and THANK YOU so much, Dubrovniktravelady, for all the very helpful information.

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed about some things as my ship will be docking after 11/1. Wish I had done my research better BEFORE booking this cruise date.

Oh well...what will be, will be. We'll figure out a way to make lemonade :)

This is a wonderful thread and THANK YOU so much, Dubrovniktravelady, for all the very helpful information.

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed about some things as my ship will be docking after 11/1. Wish I had done my research better BEFORE booking this cruise date.

Oh well...what will be, will be. We'll figure out a way to make lemonade :)

Do you mean 01 November? If so, why not change the date and try to visit a bit earlier in October. Some places are going to close down for the winter hibernation beginning on 01 November and will reopen the following Easter. Not all, but the good shops and restaurants are not the places open all year. You certainly do have enough advance time to make a change, if I assume this date is correct.

FYI dates in Europe are much different from the US - today is 08.02.2010

You are right...I should have been clearer....yes, November 1st. And I do know better LOL When communicating with tour ops in Europe I'm always very careful to write the month out so there is no confusion

As for changing the date, I can't. Going with a group of friends and a lot of prepaid arrangements (like air) has been made.

This is my first cruise in the Med area and, if I have my way, it definitely won't be my last BG

You are right...I should have been clearer....yes, November 1st. And I do know better LOL When communicating with tour ops in Europe I'm always very careful to write the month out so there is no confusion

As for changing the date, I can't. Going with a group of friends and a lot of prepaid arrangements (like air) has been made.

This is my first cruise in the Med area and, if I have my way, it definitely won't be my last BG

Thank you for clearing up that date for me. I hope I wasn't overly criticial just wanted to remind cruisers that Europeans do their dates differently. Visiting the Med is always a great experience especially the first time. Do your research carefully and make sure you know what sorts of sights you want to visit. I can't speak for other towns in Europe, but you will find some shops and restaurants open....just none of my favorites.

Hi - It appears that you are in the "know"! I'm curious, we are arriving in Dubrovnik via Holland America on May 11, any idea where our ship will dock and how far the walk is to the city center?

Also, I'm most curious about a tour - do you feel it is necessary or should we explore on our own? I started a different thread to try to gather information about tour companies in the city.... so far no suggestions on companies.

Many thanks!

Danielle

For those who keep asking where their ship will dock, I figured out how to check it out myself using Dubrovniktravelady's link here:

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

Look at the menus on the left and click on Cruising, third one down. That will expand the menu, then choose Arrivals/Departures and a separate window will pop up in Croatian, but you can figure out those are months, and you check the number of your month. (If you have pop-ups blocked, you might have to do something with your browser to unblock the pop-up for that page) You may have to do some scrolling down on the page to see the Search button, but it looks like a Search of Submit button, even in Croatian. This will take a few seconds but will eventually open a chart of dates and ships in English. Click on the chart and use your page down buttons to advance the chart to your arrival date.

Dubrovniktravelady, feel free to re-write this instruction and paste it into your post every time somebody asks where their ship is arriving. I figure if folks are savvy enough to be posting on CruiseCritic, they are savvy enough to figure out the chart and also savvy enough to locate both the port and old town on the tourist map you reference. I feel sort of bad about you having to look up everybody's berth for them.

Thanks for all the good stuff you have posted in these and other threads. I feel like I am ready to tour Dubrovnik on my own with all the help you have provided, and I have not even begun to read all of your threads. And I am also like you visiting right now in northern California, Marin County, and we had a just gorgeous day today here, as you probably did as well.

For those who keep asking where their ship will dock, I figured out how to check it out myself using Dubrovniktravelady's link here:

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=103&pdl=103

Look at the menus on the left and click on Cruising, third one down. That will expand the menu, then choose Arrivals/Departures and a separate window will pop up in Croatian, but you can figure out those are months, and you check the number of your month. (If you have pop-ups blocked, you might have to do something with your browser to unblock the pop-up for that page) You may have to do some scrolling down on the page to see the Search button, but it looks like a Search of Submit button, even in Croatian. This will take a few seconds but will eventually open a chart of dates and ships in English. Click on the chart and use your page down buttons to advance the chart to your arrival date.

Dubrovniktravelady, feel free to re-write this instruction and paste it into your post every time somebody asks where their ship is arriving. I figure if folks are savvy enough to be posting on CruiseCritic, they are savvy enough to figure out the chart and also savvy enough to locate both the port and old town on the tourist map you reference. I feel sort of bad about you having to look up everybody's berth for them.

Thanks for all the good stuff you have posted in these and other threads. I feel like I am ready to tour Dubrovnik on my own with all the help you have provided, and I have not even begun to read all of your threads. And I am also like you visiting right now in northern California, Marin County, and we had a just gorgeous day today here, as you probably did as well.

The vast majority of ships will always dock in the Gruz harbor. The entire dockside can only accommodate 3 large ships, berths 10, 11 & 12. One can hit a tennis ball from one side to the other as it's quite a small area. This past year, only Costa has been at anchor in the old town and perhaps a Windstar and so most of the guests will arrive in the Gruz. Dubrovnik is a small town and thus our port is not very big also. It's a short 10 to 15 minute taxi or shuttle ride to the brsalje (square) where all the buses drop passengers.

As always I strongly suggest utilizing the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website. It is your best source for good information about Dubrovnik and surrounding areas. Enjoy your visit to Dubrovnik, it's a magical town filled with some lovely hidden gems.

Our ship, Norwegian Gem, is listed for Old Town which I gather means that she will be anchored, and we will have to tender. Please correct me if this is wrong. Anyway, where will the tenders drop us off? Will taxis be readily available there, and what will be the approximate cost to town? I did read your post above, but not sure if it is the same info for the tendered ships.

Edited by cynbar

Our ship, Norwegian Gem, is listed for Old Town which I gather means that she will be anchored, and we will have to tender. Please correct me if this is wrong. Anyway, where will the tenders drop us off? Will taxis be readily available there, and what will be the approximate cost to town? I did read your post above, but not sure if it is the same info for the tendered ships.

If you are at anchor in the old town, there is no need for a taxi. You are there in the town, just a few steps from the main promenade. If you are at tender in the port of Gruz, yes there will be many taxis waiting to take you into the old town. Dubrovnik is a small town, there is no big distances between anything.

Hello Dubrovniktourlady!

I am trying to figure out if there is a need to do a tour, or if in your opinion you can do it on your own? Any thoughts? If you think a tour is a good idea, any suggestions on a tour company?

Thank you in advance!!

Sorry but the rules of cruise critic postings from local residents do not allow me to advise on any tour companies. However I do suggest that you visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website, it has very good information and you can plan your day accordingly.

Hi Dubrovniktourladi. Wondering if you can advise on a good spot for lunch and/or a glass of wine in Old Town that has views of the harbour. :confused: We intend to do the self tour indicated on the Dubrovnik Tourist website ourselves. It looks pretty self-explanatory. Will probably want to stop and relax a couple of times and enjoy a glass of wine or local beer. :D Any and all recommendations much appreciated. We will be visiting Dubrovnik mid-June this year. Thanks.

To Dubrovniktravelady: We are also docking in Dubrovnik on Sunday, May 2, 2010 and will be in port from 1:00-9:00PM (Norwegian Gem). I am trying to plan the day and have a few questions: It looks like the shops will be open, but how late? Also - what are the operating hours for the wall? Should we walk the wall immediately or do you think it will be too crowded with other tourists? I imagine restaurants will be open late. Also wonder if it will be difficult to get a taxi back to the ship around 7:30-8:00pm. Thanks for your wonderful information!

Just a question, how accurate is this site from the port:confused:

According to this site, the Equinox will be docked on thursday 19-08. I will be on that cruise and as far as I know we will visit on tuesday 17-08. According to the site this will be a busy day with already 3 ships.

• 2 weeks later...

Dubrovniktravelady, can you give us a few tips for working with the local currency? How much do basic things cost, like a soda or gelato? What is the conversion rate to US dollars? Or, to put it another way, about how many kuna would you get for say $50? Thanks for any tips......