Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Our cruise ship docks in Dubrovnik on Sunday, Nov 8. I read that a recent law was passed that made it unlawful for businesses to be open on Sundays. We have been looking forward to visiting the monastery and the pharmacy, as well as walking the walls. Will these businesses be closed as well? Thank you for all the excellent information you have provided.:)

I am also interested in whether the attractions will be open on Sunday as our ship stops there in September 2010 from 1 pm to 9 pm on a Sunday. I would so much prefer spending time in town than on the ship.

Your wonderful reviews of Dubrovnik are what tempted me to choose this itinerary and I will be so disppointed if we can't walk the wall! Thanks.

Thank you for the suggestion to walk on the seaside starting at Pile Gate - I'm assuming the wall is not as high there and therefore fewer stairs - is that correct? One more question - walking on the seaside, are there still views over the city (I'm assuming if so that the views are of the old town and not the rest of Dubrovnik?

Thank you for the suggestion to walk on the seaside starting at Pile Gate - I'm assuming the wall is not as high there and therefore fewer stairs - is that correct? One more question - walking on the seaside, are there still views over the city (I'm assuming if so that the views are of the old town and not the rest of Dubrovnik?
I can't remember exactly how many stairs there are at each wall entrance, but I hope you understand that most of the 600+ steps are along the wall walk--not getting up to it! The wall undulates along incredibly uneven coastal terrain so if you're already worried about the 20-25 steps (just a guess) at the Pile entrance, then you probably won't get far on the wall!

As for the views, the wall encircles the city so of course there are great views of the city from everywhere.

578879807_Europe2009891.jpg.f993bc19ffa4bbe84f3acc6cf472b005.jpg

Edited by Terpnut

I was hoping LadyDubrovnik would know about the Sunday situation. It looks as if after September 1, most shops will be closed. As long as the wall is open, I will be happy. I rather like 'quiet' but I really want to walk the wall.

I have been reading this thread and was wondering if a taxi to the Maritime Museum would be feasible. (so we can enter the wall) We will be arriving Sept 21 on Celebrity Summit. We don't plan on walking the whole wall. Thanks.
You'll need to take the taxi to Ploce gate because the Maritime Museum is directly not accessible by car--it's along the seaside. From the Ploce gate, you can either walk to the wall entrance nearby or walk further down to near the Maritime Museum and enter the city walls from there. Edited by Terpnut

I have been doing research on what to do at Dubrovnik when we are there next June. Our DS will be 8 yo by then. We are definitely going to walk the wall but are not planning to finish the whole walk if it gets too hot. We are scheduled to be in port from 10am-6pm. The following are the few sights that we plan to visit.

1) Rector's Palace

2) Big Onofrio's Fountain

3) Church of St Blaise & the Cathedral

4) Franciscan Church & Monastery

We would like to have lunch at Orhan restaurant and possibly go to Buza Cafe for a drink if time allows. Given we have a young one in tow, do you think we are too ambitious? Thanks.

I have been doing research on what to do at Dubrovnik when we are there next June. Our DS will be 8 yo by then. We are definitely going to walk the wall but are not planning to finish the whole walk if it gets too hot. We are scheduled to be in port from 10am-6pm. The following are the few sights that we plan to visit.

1) Rector's Palace

2) Big Onofrio's Fountain

3) Church of St Blaise & the Cathedral

4) Franciscan Church & Monastery

We would like to have lunch at Orhan restaurant and possibly go to Buza Cafe for a drink if time allows. Given we have a young one in tow, do you think we are too ambitious? Thanks.

If your 8 yo son has half the energy of mine, you will easily be able to do all this. In fact, we walked the wall in a little over an hour, saw most of the sights in town, had a long lunch, and then spent two hours at Banje Beach. Edited by Terpnut

If your 8 yo son has half the energy of mine, you will easily be able to do all this. In fact, we walked the wall in a little over an hour, saw most of the sights in town, had a long lunch, and then spent two hours at Banje Beach.

Yes, he is very energetic except that if it gets too hot, it wears him down quickly. It looks like some of these sights are pretty close to each other?

Where did you have lunch?

I have been reading this thread and was wondering if a taxi to the Maritime Museum would be feasible. (so we can enter the wall) We will be arriving Sept 21 on Celebrity Summit. We don't plan on walking the whole wall. Thanks.

The Maritime Musuem is located within the city walls and no cars are allowed into the old town. You can take the bus to the Pile Brsalje (Square) the western entrance or Ploce (plo-cha) gate and you must walk into the old town from either entrance.

Please may I recommend that you download the city map from the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website which has a wealth of valuable information. There are many interesting sights to visit in Dubrovnik which has been a UNESCO world hertitage sight for many years now. Since you have such limited time frame here you should plan your day accordingly.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

If your 8 yo son has half the energy of mine, you will easily be able to do all this. In fact, we walked the wall in a little over an hour, saw most of the sights in town, had a long lunch, and then spent two hours at Banje Beach.

You will have more than enough time to see all the sights listed. The Onofrio fountain will only be a couple of minutes and you can then buy the tickets for the walls opposite. You can do just the sea side of the walls and enjoy the sights and descend at Saint John where you will find the Maritime Museum. You must remember Dubrovnik is a small town, especially the old part and most of our sights are very close together. May I also suggest you do not miss the opportunity to visit the Rupe Museum, it is a history of our culture from the early days and a lovely place to end your limited time in Dubrovnik.

Yes, he is very energetic except that if it gets too hot, it wears him down quickly. It looks like some of these sights are pretty close to each other?

Where did you have lunch?

We were there in early July so it was in the mid to upper 80's when we were there! Remember however that Dubrovnik is on the coast so the heat wasn't nearly as bad as Italy or Tunisia. Also, there are ample opportunities to cool off: getting drinks or fruit at the market, splashing water at the fountain, getting gelato on a side street, or taking a dip in the Adriatic at nearby Banje Beach! If the beach is of interest, have your son wear his swimsuit and bring sandals/water shoes and a towel!

And as Carol and I have already said, the city is very small, sights are all close together and easily walkable. Enjoy!

We were there in early July so it was in the mid to upper 80's when we were there! Remember however that Dubrovnik is on the coast so the heat wasn't nearly as bad as Italy or Tunisia. Also, there are ample opportunities to cool off: getting drinks or fruit at the market, splashing water at the fountain, getting gelato on a side street, or taking a dip in the Adriatic at nearby Banje Beach! If the beach is of interest, have your son wear his swimsuit and bring sandals/water shoes and a towel!

And as Carol and I have already said, the city is very small, sights are all close together and easily walkable. Enjoy!

Thank you!

I've been reading this thread with great interest, some great advice. I'm assuming that the instructions (walking/Busses etc) vary, depending on where the ship docks. We are on spendour on the 24th October. Do the same ships stop in the same place each time or does it vary. Anyone know where the splendour docks.

Thanks

I've been reading this thread with great interest, some great advice. I'm assuming that the instructions (walking/Busses etc) vary, depending on where the ship docks. We are on spendour on the 24th October. Do the same ships stop in the same place each time or does it vary. Anyone know where the splendour docks.

Thanks

According to the Dubrovnik port authority site (http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en&action=port_dubrovnik&kat=101), you will be docked at Gruz Berth 10 on 10/25 from 10 am to 6 pm. You will need to take a shuttle, bus or cab from the dock to the old city.

If it says my ship (Costa Victoria Nov 27) is to be docked at "Old Town" does that mean I can easily walk from the ship to the walls? Is it visible (how will I know what direction to head)?
The big cruise ships do not dock but anchor in the harbor and then you tender into the old town port (see my previously posted pictures for a good look at this). From there, it's a couple minute walk to enter the old city and the wall entrances. Edited by Terpnut

The Maritime Musuem is located within the city walls and no cars are allowed into the old town. You can take the bus to the Pile Brsalje (Square) the western entrance or Ploce (plo-cha) gate and you must walk into the old town from either entrance.

Please may I recommend that you download the city map from the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website which has a wealth of valuable information. There are many interesting sights to visit in Dubrovnik which has been a UNESCO world hertitage sight for many years now. Since you have such limited time frame here you should plan your day accordingly.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

thank you so much for the wonderful link. I shall be printing it ready for our visit in three weeks

If it says my ship (Costa Victoria Nov 27) is to be docked at "Old Town" does that mean I can easily walk from the ship to the walls? Is it visible (how will I know what direction to head)?

Costa is always at anchor in the old town harbor, this means you must tender into the port. Once there all you need to do is follow the crowds to the entrance to the city walls. Since you're arriving in late November do make sure that you have rain gear and very good walking shoes. During that time of year the walls are only open from 10am until 3pm and if there is heavy winds think twice about trying to make the entire trip. The walls are 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 650 steps spread throughout.

You will have more than enough time to see all the sights listed. The Onofrio fountain will only be a couple of minutes and you can then buy the tickets for the walls opposite. You can do just the sea side of the walls and enjoy the sights and descend at Saint John where you will find the Maritime Museum. You must remember Dubrovnik is a small town, especially the old part and most of our sights are very close together. May I also suggest you do not miss the opportunity to visit the Rupe Museum, it is a history of our culture from the early days and a lovely place to end your limited time in Dubrovnik.

That is a great suggestion. I will add that into our itinerary. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, my input is severely more limited than the wonderful Dubrovnik Travel lady!!! But, we were anchored at Dubrovnik in 2007, with free shuttles for the ship passengers into the old town. Since there were lineups, we opted to grab a cab - who quoted us a very low price (can't remember what) for the same transporation. Naturally, once in the cab, he asked us if we'd like to go up the hill overlooking the city first. We're so glad we agreed!

At that time, the remnants of a restaurant that had been bombed during the Serbia/Bosnia/Croatia war was still standing, along with the remnants of the former cable car access to it. There was also a memorial to those who had died in that war. And the views were fantastic!!! Obviously, the price for the transport to the old city had gone up. given the additional "stops" - but it was well worth it!

Obviously, my input is severely more limited than the wonderful Dubrovnik Travel lady!!! But, we were anchored at Dubrovnik in 2007, with free shuttles for the ship passengers into the old town. Since there were lineups, we opted to grab a cab - who quoted us a very low price (can't remember what) for the same transporation. Naturally, once in the cab, he asked us if we'd like to go up the hill overlooking the city first. We're so glad we agreed!

At that time, the remnants of a restaurant that had been bombed during the Serbia/Bosnia/Croatia war was still standing, along with the remnants of the former cable car access to it. There was also a memorial to those who had died in that war. And the views were fantastic!!! Obviously, the price for the transport to the old city had gone up. given the additional "stops" - but it was well worth it!

Yes, that's true but you must remember that I've been visiting this area since 1971 and now live here for the past 2 years. My time frame is somewhat better than those who are here for such a limited amount of time on a cruise ship.

Most of the ships no longer offfer free shuttles, there is usually a fee although it isn't that high. Taxi can run about 10 to 30 Euros, depending on if they take you up to the viewpoint or to the top of Mt. Srd. Your description tells me you did make it to the top of Srd. Ah the great memories. In 1971 at the exact stop you describe it was only a disco, no food just a drinking and dancing place. It was slowly destroyed by time and age and not during the 1991 conflict. The cable car was destroyed during the war and there has been much talk about rebuilding it. However it takes more time here than in many other countries, they spend too much time fighting over who will pay and who will build. Maybe by 2011 or 2012, one never knows.

The memorial to the local young men who died defending the town of Dubrovnik is worth seeing. The view from the top of Mt. Srd is breathtaking and so worth the cost of a taxi. After one has seen the view from Srd then and only then can you really say that you've seen Dubrovnik.