Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

I have read that Dubrovnik has wonderful ice cream. Is there a place that is particularly recommended?

There are many gellato shops along the Stradun (main promenade). However you will never see any locals eating from those vendors. We always get off the main drag and use the side streets where you will find local vendors. Just walk left and right off the main drag and you will locate nice shops, good gellato and some wonderful art galleries.

We'll be on the Legend of the Seas in Dubrovnik on Oct 20. I understood from Rick Steves' book that there are buses from Port Gruz to the Pile Gate for 10 kn--buses 1, 1a, 1b, and 3. Can anyone confirm this, and comment on the schedule they run on? Also, is the bus stop far from the area where the ship is docked? Is there any problem walking out of the port (ie border patrol, passport issues, security issues, etc)? If we need bus tickets before we board (instead of being able to buy them from the driver) are they available close to the ship's docking area?

Thanks in advance for any help! Charlotte

We'll be on the Legend of the Seas in Dubrovnik on Oct 20. I understood from Rick Steves' book that there are buses from Port Gruz to the Pile Gate for 10 kn--buses 1, 1a, 1b, and 3. Can anyone confirm this, and comment on the schedule they run on? Also, is the bus stop far from the area where the ship is docked? Is there any problem walking out of the port (ie border patrol, passport issues, security issues, etc)? If we need bus tickets before we board (instead of being able to buy them from the driver) are they available close to the ship's docking area?

Thanks in advance for any help! Charlotte

You can take our local buses from the Gruz port to the old town and the fare is 10 kuna per person. Yes you must have kuna, the driver cannot change money, it's a local bus not a ship shuttle. They do run fairly often and there is a Libertas schedule on the web, however it is written in Croatian.

There is much debate about passports on this forum. Some folks do not carry their passport and some have been sent back to the ship to obtain theirs. I personally do not travel without my passports into any foreign destination.

You can also take the ship shuttle bus or a taxi which would take you to the viewpoint above the old town. Missing out on that experience is not worth the small amount of money saved by taking our local buses.

Please do visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website and there you can download a very good map of the entire area plus the old town.

Thank you! We have been on the website and thought it was tremendous. We were there about 3 years ago and are really looking forward to being in your beautiful city again. I took a photo from the city wall, near the City Harbor of a building with roofs that survived the war and there are 3 bronze bells hanging in a part of the building's wall--I'm looking forward to seeing if I can find them again so I can identify the building in my scrapbook! Also, we weren't able to get into the Rupe Museum last time and are looking forward to seeing it this time. Thanks again!

It sounds as if getting a taxi from the ship into town won't be a problem - I assume there will be a line of taxis waiting at the pier. But when we are returning to the ship will it be easy to find a taxi? Is there a "best" location to wait for one, and how much time should be give ourselves to find a taxi to make sure we get back to the shi on time? Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Dubrovniktravelady~

Greetings from a fellow northern Californian (grew up in San Jose, went to college at UC Berkeley). Thank you so much for all of your invaluable insight and advice! Hope you don't mind if I have a few more questions for you:

A friend and I will be on the Celebrity Summit docking in Dubrovnik on 16 November from 9:00 until 18:00. A fellow cruiser has been kind enough to arrange for a number of taxis to pick us up at the at the dock and transport us to to Vidikovac for photos and then drop us off at the Ploce Gate. As the taxi company (http://taxi-dubrovnik.net/) does not have any vans, we have reserved 4 - 5 cabs at a cost of 35 euros each.

First, does this fare sound reasonable to you? I'm wondering if the Cabrio bus that you mentioned might be a better option for us, although we would have to make our way to Pile Brsalje Square to catch the bus. And is the Cabrio bus even still running in November?

Also, what itinerary would you suggest for first-timers who are visiting Dubrovnik in November? We're in our 40s and quite active so we would like to see as much as we can in our one day.

Thanks so much for your help! We're lucky to have you!

Diana

Dubrovniktravelady~

Greetings from a fellow northern Californian (grew up in San Jose, went to college at UC Berkeley). Thank you so much for all of your invaluable insight and advice! Hope you don't mind if I have a few more questions for you:

A friend and I will be on the Celebrity Summit docking in Dubrovnik on 16 November from 9:00 until 18:00. A fellow cruiser has been kind enough to arrange for a number of taxis to pick us up at the at the dock and transport us to to Vidikovac for photos and then drop us off at the Ploce Gate. As the taxi company (http://taxi-dubrovnik.net/) does not have any vans, we have reserved 4 - 5 cabs at a cost of 35 euros each.

First, does this fare sound reasonable to you? I'm wondering if the Cabrio bus that you mentioned might be a better option for us, although we would have to make our way to Pile Brsalje Square to catch the bus. And is the Cabrio bus even still running in November?

Also, what itinerary would you suggest for first-timers who are visiting Dubrovnik in November? We're in our 40s and quite active so we would like to see as much as we can in our one day.

Thanks so much for your help! We're lucky to have you!

Diana

The taxi quote sounds fare to me and you should understand there are many companies who do have mini vans. However I am not allowed to give you any of their exact names on this forum. These taxis normally wait in line at the Gruz harbor, then SPEED up to the Pile Brsalje (Square) and SPEED back to the pier. By taking you up to Vidikovac they are missing out on about 3 other fares. These drivers are going to let you out at the viewpoint to take photos and then drive back down the hill to town. Yes it is a good price.

The Cabrio bus stops running on 01 November every year. It is a 2 hour long sightseeing bus which does stop at Vidikovac but will no longer be running. And since our weather has changed this past week, it is not going to be running next week during the rain.

Be prepared for changing weather as you are arriving here after our season has ended. Museums and churches will be open, however you may be hard pressed to find very many outdoor cafés open for business. Weather permitting you can also walk the city walls, however do be very careful during the 2 kilometer walk on the 650 steps.

Thank you, Carol!

I think our plan at this point is to begin our taxi tour at 9:30 am, try to see as much as we can of Dubrovnik, and time permitting, take a sidetrip to Cavtat in the afternoon. In an earlier post you'd mentioned that the best way to get to Cavtat was either via a ferry which departs every 45 minutes or via the Libertas bus #10. Can I assume that these are still running in November, although perhaps not as often?

Thanks again! Hope you're managing to stay warm! Bet it's times like this that you miss California a little bit!

Thank you, Carol!

I think our plan at this point is to begin our taxi tour at 9:30 am, try to see as much as we can of Dubrovnik, and time permitting, take a sidetrip to Cavtat in the afternoon. In an earlier post you'd mentioned that the best way to get to Cavtat was either via a ferry which departs every 45 minutes or via the Libertas bus #10. Can I assume that these are still running in November, although perhaps not as often?

Thanks again! Hope you're managing to stay warm! Bet it's times like this that you miss California a little bit!

Very doubtful the ferry to Cavtat will be running in mid November, the bus yes. You can check the schedule by going to the Libertas bus schedule. It's all in Croatian but just locate #10 and you can check the times.

I love living here and don't miss California until winter arrives. But I will be going back for a visit to spend the holidays with my family. I do miss the Christmas decorations in San Francisco, a warm fire and the smell of the pine trees and Pacific crab but mostly my sister and my incredible niece. Back to Croatia in March, just in time for spring. Can't beat the life, 4 months in California and 8 months in Dubrovnik.

Here's the site for our live webcam, enjoy.

http://www.dubrovnik.hr/webcam.htm

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

The taxi quote sounds fare to me and you should understand there are many companies who do have mini vans. However I am not allowed to give you any of their exact names on this forum. These taxis normally wait in line at the Gruz harbor, then SPEED up to the Pile Brsalje (Square) and SPEED back to the pier. By taking you up to Vidikovac they are missing out on about 3 other fares. These drivers are going to let you out at the viewpoint to take photos and then drive back down the hill to town. Yes it is a good price.

The Cabrio bus stops running on 01 November every year. It is a 2 hour long sightseeing bus which does stop at Vidikovac but will no longer be running. And since our weather has changed this past week, it is not going to be running next week during the rain.

Be prepared for changing weather as you are arriving here after our season has ended. Museums and churches will be open, however you may be hard pressed to find very many outdoor cafés open for business. Weather permitting you can also walk the city walls, however do be very careful during the 2 kilometer walk on the 650 steps.

"By taking you up to Vidikovac they are missing out on about 3 other fares. These drivers are going to let you out at the viewpoint to take photos and then drive back down the hill to town." Please clarify for me - We will be in Dubrovink on November 5th. If the taxi just drops you off at Vidikovac and doesn't wait for you to take pictures, are there other taxis or other modes of transportation in the area to take you back to Pile Brsalje?

"By taking you up to Vidikovac they are missing out on about 3 other fares. These drivers are going to let you out at the viewpoint to take photos and then drive back down the hill to town." Please clarify for me - We will be in Dubrovink on November 5th. If the taxi just drops you off at Vidikovac and doesn't wait for you to take pictures, are there other taxis or other modes of transportation in the area to take you back to Pile Brsalje?

The taxi must wait for you at the viewpoint, there is nothing up there except a small parking area. No taxis waiting and the only way down to the old town is by goat path, I know this for a fact as I've walked it. Will take you about 3/4 of an hour just to reach the Ploce side of town. The taxi must wait for you to take the photos and then take you down the hill into the old town. The viewpoint is only a photo stop, just take your shots and pile back into the taxis back to town.

The taxi must wait for you at the viewpoint, there is nothing up there except a small parking area. No taxis waiting and the only way down to the old town is by goat path, I know this for a fact as I've walked it. Will take you about 3/4 of an hour just to reach the Ploce side of town. The taxi must wait for you to take the photos and then take you down the hill into the old town. The viewpoint is only a photo stop, just take your shots and pile back into the taxis back to town.

Thank you for your reply. I have been told a number of times by "friends" that I am "just an old goat" but I don't think I will be up for tackling the goat path.:D

Carol~

Hopefully, this is the last time I will be bothering you. As I mentioned before, a cruisemate of mine was kind enough to reserve several taxis for our group; these taxis will pick us up at the port, take us up to the viewpoint to take photos and then drop us off at the Ploce Gate. I was browsing the site you recommended, http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php, and came across a one-hour taxi tour offered by Radio Taxi Dubrovnik (http://www.taxi-dubrovnik.hr/):

"One hour sightseeing includes visit to the New Bridge (magnificent view across city harbor, new city quarters and islands), continuing the tour along Adriatic Tourist Road with the view along the entire city, and finally arrival to the Fort Imperial (412 meters altitude) on Mount Srđ with the most breathtaking view across the Old Town, whole Dubrovnik and surrounding (Cavtat, Župa Dubrovačka, Elafity Islands with the Bosnian mountains peaks at the back. Visit to Fort Imperial was destination of the cable car before the war, today no other agency offer this program."

Do you think this is a preferable option over our Port-->Mount Srd-->Ploce Gate arrangement, which is with Taxi Service Dubrovnik (http://www.taxi-dubrovnik.net/)? Taxi Service Dubrovnik actually has some interesting excursions:

- Island of Korčula

- Montenegro

- Mostar

Do you think a quick visit to one of these places would be doable after seeing the sites in Dubrovnik? I know there's a lot to do in Dubrovnik but given the time of year and weather conditions, I'm afraid our sightseeing options in Dubrovnik may not fill our day. My friend and I are in our 40s, still pretty quick on our feet and accustomed to going full out for an entire day.

I'm particularly interested in visiting Montenegro, which I believe is approximately one hour outside of Dubrovnik. I had previously wanted to go to Cavtat but now that I've discovered that Montenegro is fairly close, I'm kind of fired up about trying to go there.

Trsteno, the Neretva River Delta, the Plitvice Lakes and the Krka Waterfalls all sound beautiful but it I think we'll need come back when we have more time and the weather's better.

Any advice you may have regarding a quick visit to Montenegro would be greatly appreciated, including suggestions of which cities in Montenegro are most worth visiting.

Thank you again for all your help!

Diana

Edited by dcinmb

• 3 months later...

Hello Dubrovnik lady,

Your information and the time you take is very appreciated. We are arriving towards the end of May. this will be our first time. We are on the RCCL Brilliance arriving on May 23rd

I can walk very well but not steps nor inclines. We would love to get a taste of this beautiful area- views, history, taste some food

Here are my questions:

1)weather in May?

2) once we get off the boat-should we get a taxi right away to go to?? (Where )or can we walk?

3) Is there any way to see the wall without climbing?

4)would you suggest the Cabrio bus tour

Can you tell I am lost. If you have the time would you be willing to plan a day for two

" newbies" AND since I do not know what to expect... I cannot be dissappointed!

Thank you so much

Nadine

Hello Dubrovnik lady,

Your information and the time you take is very appreciated. We are arriving towards the end of May. this will be our first time. We are on the RCCL Brilliance arriving on May 23rd

I can walk very well but not steps nor inclines. We would love to get a taste of this beautiful area- views, history, taste some food

Here are my questions:

1)weather in May?

2) once we get off the boat-should we get a taxi right away to go to?? (Where )or can we walk?

3) Is there any way to see the wall without climbing?

4)would you suggest the Cabrio bus tour

Can you tell I am lost. If you have the time would you be willing to plan a day for two

" newbies" AND since I do not know what to expect... I cannot be dissappointed!

Thank you so much

Nadine

How I wish I could predict the weather in May! I would be living in a grand villa on the sea without a doubt. This past May it was still chilly and a bit wet. Locals are hoping for warm weather and no more rain. It is always best to dress in layers and you can check the web for the weather during your arrival. There are several sites which give you good information, just google Dubrovnik weather.

Walking to town from the Gruz port would be impossible for one who can't do any inclines as it is uphill most of the way. I strongly suggest, as I have many times, take a taxi and ask him to drive you to the viewpoint (vidikovac) and down to the old town to the Ploce (plo-cha) entrance. You can then leisurely stroll into the old town and visit some of our very lovely sights.

The Cabrio bus tour is one of my favorites. I always do this tour for my own enjoyment at the first sight of the bus again. It did cost 90 Kunas per person, no Euros, Dollars or credit cards only Croatian Kuna. And the there is a pick up point at the Ploce entrance at our regular Libertas bus stop. The Cabrio bus is always subject to weather permitting since it is open air.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

You can check the times for the bus at the above website.

There is no way to visit the city walls without climbing steps. The walls are 2 kilometers long and grand total of 650 steps. Most folks do take about 2 hours with the stops for photo opportunities. I also will walk the walls as soon as I return to Dubrovnik from California in late February.

An FYI for anyone who reads this post. The city walls has increased the entrance fee to 70 Kuna per adult and 30 Kuna per child. A child is considered anyone under the age of 12. This increase is the first in 5 years and please do understand that we need to maintain the walls. This past summer Dubrovnik had a total cruise visitor count of 837,000 and many walked the walls. In the month of July 09 the total count for the walls was 178,000 guests. 70 Kuna is only $14 and it is a bargain compared to other fees in any other Med port of call.

Nadine, since I now live in Dubrovnik I am very limited to what I can advise on cruise critic. Planning your day is not possible. However I strongly suggest you visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website. You can download the map and see exactly what sights are available in town.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Your ship will be arriving at 0900 until 1800 and it will be docked at Pier 10 in the Gruz harbor. There are only 4 other ships arriving on that Sunday, putting the total visitor count for 7,487 guests. It won't be a very crowded day, compared to many in July and August.

Motherchic:

Just one little thing to add to Dubrovniklady's excellent info. We were there in November & I found that the cruise lines provide a bus service from the port right to the main gate of the old city. Our cruise line charged $5. for an all day pass on the bus. The walk would definitely not be possible unless you are really fit. We took the bus in first thing in the morning & walked around the town, visiting museums etc. Then took the bus back to the ship for lunch & went out again in the afternoon to walk the wall. It wasn't as busy then as most people walked it in the morning. If you take it slow & easy, the walk is really quite easy to do. There were lots of us "old folks" doing it with ease and all taking the steps up very slowly so you won't be conspicuous. You really shouldn't miss the wall walk, the views are most beautiful

Thank you Bjay for the advice. I appreciate it

Bjay3, your arrival in November meant there were very few tourists in Dubrovnik. This is not be the case on 23 May, as there will be 7,487 guests arriving that day. The ship does offer shuttle services, but only to the Pile Brsalje, which is the square in front of the western entrance to the old town. However by utilizing the shuttle one misses out on the view from above the old town. However if the Cabrio bus is running, weather permitting, one can expect to be driven up to the viewpoint.

Walking the walls can be difficult on some. One can walk half, the sea side only, but it does require going up 65 steps just to reach the path. Many guests only walk half the walls and going down is the easy part. The sea side of the walls does give you a fantastic view of town and it is well worth the price.

I am so sorry that you missed the opportunity to try some of our very fresh local seafood. However in November so many of the lovely outdoor cafes have closed their doors for the winter. We locals consider the season to be over on 01 November and it's time to shutter the shops and restaurants for the winter. Most locals working during the season do not have days off, they work straight through for 8 months and take 4 months off during the cold wet winter. Seeing Dubrovnik during the late spring and early fall is the very best time to visit. I do hope you return someday to see our town at it's best.

Dubrovniklady, you are right, many restaurants were closed when we were there and thus I lost out on trying some of your seafood. However, being there in the low season allowed me to truly experience the old city very early in the morning & walk down the main street with very few people on it. It was a memorable experience. I do intend to come back again and do more of the Dalmatian coast as it is now one of my favourite places

How I wish I could predict the weather in May! I would be living in a grand villa on the sea without a doubt. This past May it was still chilly and a bit wet. Locals are hoping for warm weather and no more rain. It is always best to dress in layers and you can check the web for the weather during your arrival. There are several sites which give you good information, just google Dubrovnik weather.

Walking to town from the Gruz port would be impossible for one who can't do any inclines as it is uphill most of the way. I strongly suggest, as I have many times, take a taxi and ask him to drive you to the viewpoint (vidikovac) and down to the old town to the Ploce (plo-cha) entrance. You can then leisurely stroll into the old town and visit some of our very lovely sights.

The Cabrio bus tour is one of my favorites. I always do this tour for my own enjoyment at the first sight of the bus again. It did cost 90 Kunas per person, no Euros, Dollars or credit cards only Croatian Kuna. And the there is a pick up point at the Ploce entrance at our regular Libertas bus stop. The Cabrio bus is always subject to weather permitting since it is open air.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

You can check the times for the bus at the above website.

There is no way to visit the city walls without climbing steps. The walls are 2 kilometers long and grand total of 650 steps. Most folks do take about 2 hours with the stops for photo opportunities. I also will walk the walls as soon as I return to Dubrovnik from California in late February.

An FYI for anyone who reads this post. The city walls has increased the entrance fee to 70 Kuna per adult and 30 Kuna per child. A child is considered anyone under the age of 12. This increase is the first in 5 years and please do understand that we need to maintain the walls. This past summer Dubrovnik had a total cruise visitor count of 837,000 and many walked the walls. In the month of July 09 the total count for the walls was 178,000 guests. 70 Kuna is only $14 and it is a bargain compared to other fees in any other Med port of call.

Nadine, since I now live in Dubrovnik I am very limited to what I can advise on cruise critic. Planning your day is not possible. However I strongly suggest you visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website. You can download the map and see exactly what sights are available in town.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Your ship will be arriving at 0900 until 1800 and it will be docked at Pier 10 in the Gruz harbor. There are only 4 other ships arriving on that Sunday, putting the total visitor count for 7,487 guests. It won't be a very crowded day, compared to many in July and August.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Any thoughts as to whether taxi rates will increase this spring?

Thanks again for the great advice.

Any thoughts as to whether taxi rates will increase this spring?

Who knows, most taxis are privately owned. They will usually agree an a certain amount from the Gruz Harbor to the Pile Brsalje (Square). You will not find a taxi for less money as most of the drivers are all friends and drink coffee at the same place every day.

Do read our tourist bureau website and download the 2 page map, it's is the best information one can use to visit Dubrovnik - other than hiring a private guide.

Dubrovniktravelady - thanks for all your wonderful information! I will be in the lovely city this September on a Sunday and so I'm wondering are there any Catholic churches that celebrate mass in English? Apparently our ship will not be providing Sunday mass any longer and it would be wonderful if we could find a local church instead. Thank you!

Hello

I have been reading your really helpful replies and printed some of them out to take with us.

You seem to be able to check what ships and visitors will be in port on a certain day. Is there a website for this, or could you check for me? We will be on the Thomson Spirit arriving on Weds 9 June.

Thanks

April