Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

We were told you had to use Kunas for everything, but the only place we encountered that required them was the walk around the wall. The vendors and cafes we encountered took Kunas or Euros. Get just enough Kunas from the ATM for the wall. Once you go through the main gate of the old city, we found an ATM a block or two down the street on the left...

Thanks so much for that, appreciate the feedback!

Just back from Dubrovnik - we were able to pay for the wall walk with Euros. The cafes took Euros and/or Kuna. There is an ATM right outside the port entrance. There is also a currency exchange right there as well. The Rector's Palace was the only place we encountered where only Kuna was accepted. If you do have leftover Kuna there is a Konsum grocery store near the port - we bought a couple bottles of pop with our excess currency.

We are visiting Dubrovnik on Legends of the Sea October 20th. This is the third time we have visited this beautiful city! We have taken the "taxi tour" of the area surrounding the city including a nice marina and some great vistas of the old city. We have also spent an afternoon on a great beach right near the old city after walking the wall and exploring the old city.

So my question is....what have we missed....what would you do? we are docked in port from 9-5 and I don't think the beach is a good option in mid October.

BTW... I highly recommend grabbing a taxi and doing a short hour or 90 minute tour if you haven't been to the city before. We even saw our taxi driver on The Amazing Race after our last visit. We shared our cab with another couple and although I can't recall the price I know it was reasonable.

Greetings! I saw an interesting tour on RCCL that goes to Cavtat ... looks beautiful but I don't want to be limited to the time limit these tours place on you ...

Is this an easy bus ride or taxi from Dubrovnik? We are mid-40s ... in good shape and prefer to create our own tour experience ...

Advice on this? Thanks! :rolleyes:

Greetings! I saw an interesting tour on RCCL that goes to Cavtat ... looks beautiful but I don't want to be limited to the time limit these tours place on you ...

Is this an easy bus ride or taxi from Dubrovnik? We are mid-40s ... in good shape and prefer to create our own tour experience ...

Advice on this? Thanks! :rolleyes:

Ferry boat leaves from the old port to Cavtat about every hour, it's a 45 minute ride along the coast. Do this trip often, I prefer the water ride to the bus, but there is also Libertas Bus #10 which does go to Cavtat all day long. You can just hire a taxi to take you down, it's almost to the airport about a 20 to 30 minute ride, depending on your driver and traffic.

When do you expect to arrive in Dubrovnik? I no longer walk down to the old town during August, it's just too crowded.

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady! I think maybe we will grab a taxi to Cavtat and see any sights the driver wants to show us on the way. Spend some time exploring Cavtat and then take the ferryboat back to the Old Town before heading back to the ship. Would you recommend lunch in Cavtat or Dubrovnik?

Thanks!

Kevin

Thanks! We are coming in September ... so hopefully the Old Town won't be quite so crowded?

Also ... the ferry to Cavtat sounds like we'd have a nice view ... it's affordable? How does it compare in price to the taxi or bus?

I really, really want to go swimming in Croatia ... so please confirm that Cavtat is a good choice ... then after that we'll head back to the Old Town and see Dubrovnik ...

Thanks from Chicago!

Dubrovniktravelady

We will be in Dubrovnik on the Norwegian Jade on Nov 7th. Any suggestions for what to do with and 8 YO?

With our 10 and 8 YO, we walked the walls in the morning, bought some fresh fruit at the market, ate lunch and gelati/ice cream in the old city, and then walked to the Banje beach in the afternoon! If you have the time, you could ferry out to Lokrum and checkout things, including the beach, there. Made for a fun day for the kids!

With our 10 and 8 YO, we walked the walls in the morning, bought some fresh fruit at the market, ate lunch and gelati/ice cream in the old city, and then walked to the Banje beach in the afternoon! If you have the time, you could ferry out to Lokrum and checkout things, including the beach, there. Made for a fun day for the kids!

Although the rest of it sounds nice, not sure that the beach has the same appeal in November as it has in June/July. A leisurely stop (walking the walls, lunch and gelati) sounds nice, since we will be doing a tour of Ephesus and a walking tour of Athens before getting to Dubrovnik. What other stops did your cruise have, and what did you find worked well with kids?

Dubrovniktravelady

We will be in Dubrovnik on the Norwegian Jade on Nov 7th. Any suggestions for what to do with and 8 YO?

It all depends on the weather as much of the town will close down on 01 November and the hours of the city walls will be much shorter. You should try to walk the sea side, going down at Sveti Ivan which brings you out at the Maritime Museum. The youngster may enjoy seeing some of the displays, it is rather small but interesting. It's hard to figure what your child (boy or girl) might enjoy seeing and you may be better to answer that question than me. Stopping for a hot chocolate at the Gradska Kavana, indoors if it's too cold and windy.

You're going to be limited as to which shops are still open, it's going to be hit and miss. The season will be over and for a child I am at a total loss. Perhaps give me a bit more info on the youngster.

Although the rest of it sounds nice, not sure that the beach has the same appeal in November as it has in June/July. A leisurely stop (walking the walls, lunch and gelati) sounds nice, since we will be doing a tour of Ephesus and a walking tour of Athens before getting to Dubrovnik. What other stops did your cruise have, and what did you find worked well with kids?

Sorry, I hadn't noted the time of year you will be in Dubrovnik.

As for the other ports, our kids tolerated ruins in Ephesus, Athens and Rome, but obviously serious touring wasn't their favorite thing to do. They enjoyed climbing anything (e.g. Leaning Tower of Pisa and cupola at St. Peter's Basilica in Roma), sliding on the glass floors of the Terrace Houses in Ephesus, climbing rocks and stones on the Acropolis in Athens, and playing hide and seek around the Arco di Septima in the Foro Romano in Rome. Obviously getting gelato in Italy is always a winner.

Rather than a long post here, you can find more in my blog at http://terpnut.blogspot.com. Then click on the cruise or travel filter to see my most recent posts. I have specific entries for my kids' favorite things in most ports or cities. Good luck!

Sorry, I hadn't noted the time of year you will be in Dubrovnik.

As for the other ports, our kids tolerated ruins in Ephesus, Athens and Rome, but obviously serious touring wasn't their favorite thing to do. They enjoyed climbing anything (e.g. Leaning Tower of Pisa and cupola at St. Peter's Basilica in Roma), sliding on the glass floors of the Terrace Houses in Ephesus, climbing rocks and stones on the Acropolis in Athens, and playing hide and seek around the Arco di Septima in the Foro Romano in Rome. Obviously getting gelato in Italy is always a winner.

Rather than a long post here, you can find more in my blog at http://terpnut.blogspot.com. Then click on the cruise or travel filter to see my most recent posts. I have specific entries for my kids' favorite things in most ports or cities. Good luck!

I'm counting on climbing to be a hit. For Naples, we selected hiking Vesuvius (after Pompeii)--rather than spending time driving the Amalfi coast. Don't think we will be going into Rome. Spent 4 days there last year after a Transatlantic ending in Rome. Probably will spend that time on the ship, since we will have had a full day around Naples the day before.

Taking a taxi to the Ploce (plo-cha) entrance, which is the eastern side of town you will find an entrance located on the walk down into the old town. If you take the ship shuttle bus into the old town, yo will arrive at the Pile (pill-eh) entrance. The main entrance to the city walls is located just inside this entrance, however it is usually very busy.

I walked the wall yesterday with friends, it was hot and there is very little shade. Bring water, a hat and very good walking shoes. As we approached the Pile area, we noticed about 50 people just waiting. Why bother to wait for 1/2 hour when you can go right up, at either the Ploce or another near to the aquarium.

The walls open at 0800 and it's best to get up there as early as possible. Bring your camera with lots of memory, the views are spectacular.

Enjoy your time here.

How much would a taxi be from the port to Ploce and also from Pile entrance to Ploce (in case we decide to take the ships shuttle

How much would a taxi be from the port to Ploce and also from Pile entrance to Ploce (in case we decide to take the ships shuttle

Please don't take a taxi from the Pile to Ploce as there are way too many one way streets here. You can walk from Pile to Ploce in about 5 minutes, it's a small town.

If you take the ship shuttle just follow the crowds....

we`ll be in dubrovnik on the 16 november-celebrity summit. what is the weather usually like? what will be open?

angelina46

The city walls will have very limited hours from 10am until 3pm and some of the museums and churches. The weather will be cold, windy and wet for the majority of the month. Perhaps a limited amount of souvenier shops and some restaurants which have inside seating. For the most part the shops and outdoor restaurants close on 01 November. And Buza bar is definitly closed, too bad the best view of sunsets in town. You should really consider just one month earlier, if possible.

thanks for your reply. am a bit puzzled, you say most shops are closed. what about the locals? all cities i have been to have shops,bars ect always open! there are more cruise ships now sailing the med-and adriatic- all year round

angelina46

thanks for your reply. am a bit puzzled, you say most shops are closed. what about the locals? all cities i have been to have shops,bars ect always open! there are more cruise ships now sailing the med-and adriatic- all year round

angelina46

The last of the cruise ships stop arriving in Dubrovnik on 22 November, they will return in mid March. Due to our high winter winds the Adriatic is not a winter cruise destination.

The stores which will be shut down for winter will be the privately owned shops which only cater to the tourists. Our grocery stores, bakeries, meat markets and those which sell goods to locals are open. Outdoor restaurants will be closed but those which have indoor space will be open.

Many local residents leave Dubrovnik during the winter months and move out to their villages or visit family out of the country. It's really rather nice here in the winter, the locals who are still here in town rather enjoy the peace and quiet.

Much of our winter climate here can be cold, wet and windy. And often the ferry boats do not run up the coast during poor weather. Cruise ships are not here during winter months. You can view the arrivals on the Dubrovnik port authority website. There is one European small ship arrival in early December, the last ship here until mid March. Museums and churches will be open as well as the city walls. And the times will be shorter than our summer hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dubrovniktravelady. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful country. Four of us will be sailing the MSC Musica visiting Dubrovnik on Sept. 26th. I haven't been successful in finding out if our cruise ship will be providing shuttle service to the old town so we are planning to take a taxi. Can you tell me what a reasonable charge for taxi for 4 adults would be each way. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 8:00 am and depart at 2:00 pm. Unfortunately, not enough time to do to much considering travel to and from the old town. Any suggestions. Taxi to what part of the wall, any must see sights before we browse the shops & cafes? Thanks.

This is a wonderful thread - so much good information. We will be in Dubrovnick in October. I would like very much to walk some of the wall - however as someone else said my knees are older than the rest of me. I would love to see some of the views but will be unable to do all the stairs. I was thinking of getting on the wall at each of the entrances and walking some distance in each direction. Will that give me some good views without having to do all the stairs? Also is there an area of the wall that shouldn't be missed or an area that is particularly strenuous? Thank you.

Hello Dubrovniktravelady. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful country. Four of us will be sailing the MSC Musica visiting Dubrovnik on Sept. 26th. I haven't been successful in finding out if our cruise ship will be providing shuttle service to the old town so we are planning to take a taxi. Can you tell me what a reasonable charge for taxi for 4 adults would be each way. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 8:00 am and depart at 2:00 pm. Unfortunately, not enough time to do to much considering travel to and from the old town. Any suggestions. Taxi to what part of the wall, any must see sights before we browse the shops & cafes? Thanks.
As long as you get off the ship early, you should still have plenty of time to walk the walls, do some shopping and grab a quick lunch. From the Gruz dock, take a cab (~15 Euros) to the Ploce gate, and walk to the wall entrance nearby. From there you will walk counterclockwise around the wall.

This is a wonderful thread - so much good information. We will be in Dubrovnick in October. I would like very much to walk some of the wall - however as someone else said my knees are older than the rest of me. I would love to see some of the views but will be unable to do all the stairs. I was thinking of getting on the wall at each of the entrances and walking some distance in each direction. Will that give me some good views without having to do all the stairs? Also is there an area of the wall that shouldn't be missed or an area that is particularly strenuous? Thank you.
If you think you might be able to handle approximately half the wall walk, you could consider entering at Pile and walking (counterclockwise) along the wall along the scenic seaside and exit near the Maritime Museum. Keep in mind that there are a couple places/cafes to stop along that part of the wall to sit and rest so that is an option too. Good luck! :) Edited by Terpnut