Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Have just realised that we will be in Dubrovnik on May 1st, which is a Public Holiday.

Does anyone know if the wall will be open for visitors ? , will public bus services be running ? etc.

If not we'll have to re-plan our day !!

Do not replan your day, all museums and attractions will be open. The city walls never close during the season. 01 May is a holiday here and you may find a few shops closed, but the majority of them will be open. Schools are closed and our public bus schedule will be the same as Sunday, only slightly limited. It's going to be a lovely day here, no students on the buses!

Thank you for all your insider knowledge about your beautiful country. I am still wondering what to do re purchasing Kunas so I hope you can help me. Re prices - average local lunch? postcards and other touristy type souvenirs? What would you recommend to bring home that best represents your country? Thanks Shar

Thank you for all your insider knowledge about your beautiful country. I am still wondering what to do re purchasing Kunas so I hope you can help me. Re prices - average local lunch? postcards and other touristy type souvenirs? What would you recommend to bring home that best represents your country? Thanks Shar

You need to know that our main meal of the day is always at noon and I do not have much of an opportunity to eat out. Of course I have my favorites and tend to return to them. Most of our many restaurants have similar prices and everything is ala carte. Only a few of the big named places will be expensive and most often if there's a view you will pay more. Some restaurants with a sea view do not necessarily have good food. Average lunch should cost about 100 to 200 Kuna per person, with fresh seafood costing a bit higher.

Postcards are only 5 to 10 kuna, key chains about 30 to 50 Kuna, there's lots of souvenirs places all over town. You can't miss them, some have lovely items and others have junk.

Do try to find any of the shops which sell some of our lovely tablecloths. Many are still done by hand and the styles car represent an area. We have some wonderful art shops, a painting of the old town is something to remind you of your time in Dubrovnik.

Most important is that you wander the side streets for shops and get off the main drag to find the nicer items. Many of the street vendors do not have original handmade items, so do choose carefully.

Do enjoy your limited time in my new home.

I'll be in Dubrovnik on 7.5.2010 on the inaugural crise of the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Has anyone taken the Konavle Biking EXcursion?

It starts at 10:45am and lasts 4.5 hours. Will that give me enough time to walk the walled city later in the day? We depart at 10PM.

If you have any other comments regarding this port please feel free to fill me in.

Is there anything else in Dubrovnik that I should/must see? This is my first time in this port.

Thanks,

Michaelc214

I'll be in Dubrovnik on 7.5.2010 on the inaugural crise of the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Has anyone taken the Konavle Biking EXcursion?

It starts at 10:45am and lasts 4.5 hours. Will that give me enough time to walk the walled city later in the day? We depart at 10PM.

If you have any other comments regarding this port please feel free to fill me in.

Is there anything else in Dubrovnik that I should/must see? This is my first time in this port.

Thanks,

Michaelc214

Is it possible this is a brand new excursion with Holland America?

It sounds like fun, but would feel better if I heard from someone who has been on this excusion before.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Michaelc214

We will be cruising to your city in October. How warm will it be at the end of the month? Are the most photographic areas in or near Old Town?

Weather questions are so difficult to answer. I can only tell you this past late October was still sunny, a bit of rain and rather chilly. If I could predict this year I would be sitting on the terrace of a sea side villa. Typical fall weather, if the sun is out daytime will be pleasant, if it's overcast chilly.

Best photos are going to be from the city walls and up on Srd Mountain. On every corner of the old town one can find sights for your photo memories. Make sure you have a good memory card, you are going to enjoy the sights.

Is it possible this is a brand new excursion with Holland America?

It sounds like fun, but would feel better if I heard from someone who has been on this excusion before.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Michaelc214

You probably do have enough time to take your bike trip and visit the old part of Dubrovnik. However be aware that the walls close at 8pm during the summer months and the walk will take about 2 hours allowing for photo stops. The cost is now 70 Kunas per person and they do accept Croatian Kuna, Dollars and Euros. Enjoy your limited time in our breathtaking town.

Dubrovniktravelady you are a source of information. I have been reading this thread very carefully. Thank you so much.

Just to recap:

1-Public buses 1a, 1b and 8 will take us into the old city. Is the bus stop well marked and is it in the harbour or near the taxi stand?

2-If we can't find a cab, can we call one? Will they show up? (I am asking because according to friends that cruised last year in July, they said it was impossible to get a cab at the harbour). Some of them walked in the heat to the old city and the other couldn't be bothered and returned to the ship.

3-We will be arriving on the Celebrity Equinox Saturday Aug 14th. Do you happen to know where will be docking?

Thanks again for all your help. It's so great to have you on this thread. Can't wait to visit your beautiful city even if it will be very hot.

Dubrovniktravelady you are a source of information. I have been reading this thread very carefully. Thank you so much.

Just to recap:

1-Public buses 1a, 1b and 8 will take us into the old city. Is the bus stop well marked and is it in the harbour or near the taxi stand?

2-If we can't find a cab, can we call one? Will they show up? (I am asking because according to friends that cruised last year in July, they said it was impossible to get a cab at the harbour). Some of them walked in the heat to the old city and the other couldn't be bothered and returned to the ship.

3-We will be arriving on the Celebrity Equinox Saturday Aug 14th. Do you happen to know where will be docking?

Thanks again for all your help. It's so great to have you on this thread. Can't wait to visit your beautiful city even if it will be very hot.

The Celebrity will be at the port in Gruz Harbor at berth 12 from 0700 to 1800. Don't let the number fool you, we only have 3 berths at the Gruz. There will be a line of taxis waiting at the main exit. There are 2 smaller exits and they do not have a large enough parking area for cars to wait. Disembark, turn right and walk in the opposite direction of the bridge to locate the main exit. You will find plenty of taxis waiting to take you into town. Taxi will accept Croatian Kuna and Euros.

Our local bus line, Libertas, will get you into the old town and you pay 10 Kuna for the one way trip. There are some posters who will advise you to find the small ticket stand and prepay your ticket for a savings - it's a big 2 pennies. I can't imagine wasting your limited time on a bus trip.

What a shame your friends missed our glorious town, perhaps more research should have been done. Please do visit our local tourist bureau website, it is filled with very good informaiton and the city map.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Thank you very much Dubrovniklady. How to get to the taxi stand is valuable information. Indeed, it's a shame some of our friends missed visisting your beautiful city.

Looking forward to August....Do you know, if any other ship will be in town on that day?

Thank you very much Dubrovniklady. How to get to the taxi stand is valuable information. Indeed, it's a shame some of our friends missed visisting your beautiful city.

Looking forward to August....Do you know, if any other ship will be in town on that day?

Saturday is always a busy day and August is no exception. On 14 August there will be MSC Musica, docked in the Gruz harbor and Costa at anchor in the old town port. A total of about 9,000 plus cruisers, not including the Europeans who are here for the month of August as land guests. Should be a very busy day in the old town, be prepared.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Saturday is always a busy day and August is no exception. On 14 August there will be MSC Musica, docked in the Gruz harbor and Costa at anchor in the old town port. A total of about 9,000 plus cruisers, not including the Europeans who are here for the month of August as land guests. Should be a very busy day in the old town, be prepared.

Thank you Dubrovniktravellady for the FYI.... Are we the 1st to arrive? or not a chance....Thanks again, your help is much appreciated

Thank you Dubrovniktravellady for the FYI.... Are we the 1st to arrive? or not a chance....Thanks again, your help is much appreciated

As a matter of fact, you and MSC both arrive at 0700 but they depart at 1400 and your ship is at 1800. Costa is tendered in the old town but they don't arrive until Noon and depart at 1700. If you are going to walk the walls, may I suggest you get up there as early as possible to avoid some of the heat. Do have a wonderful day in town, it's a mystical place to live.

:)trvlrs, we are also on that Equinox sailing! And I'm really looking forward to Dubrovnik!

It will be crowded and hot but hopefully worth the experience. We're looking forward to the cruise and the destinations. C u on board...

We wil be in Dubruvnik in 20 days. What is the weather usually like in late May? I'm getting really excited after reading such great things about this city.

Wish I could answer that question. If I could predict weather for the end of May I would be sitting in a sea side villa, drinking Dalmatian wine. Last year it was wet and chilly. Year prior we were all swimming by early May.

All I can tell you is what is happening today, it's lovely. No rain, sun shinning and about 22C. Just in case bring a sweater for later in the day.

You probably do have enough time to take your bike trip and visit the old part of Dubrovnik. However be aware that the walls close at 8pm during the summer months and the walk will take about 2 hours allowing for photo stops. The cost is now 70 Kunas per person and they do accept Croatian Kuna, Dollars and Euros. Enjoy your limited time in our breathtaking town.

Good Afternoon, We will be arriving on Wednesday June 16 on the Brilliance of the Seas. Do you know where the ship we be docking? Also what is the cost of taking a taxi to the Old Town? We are very much looking forward to this port of call. We have been told that walking the wall is something that should not be missed. Can you pay by credit card for entrance to the wall? Thank you for the information...Cathy Young

Good Afternoon, We will be arriving on Wednesday June 16 on the Brilliance of the Seas. Do you know where the ship we be docking? Also what is the cost of taking a taxi to the Old Town? We are very much looking forward to this port of call. We have been told that walking the wall is something that should not be missed. Can you pay by credit card for entrance to the wall? Thank you for the information...Cathy Young

Brilliance will be docked in the Gruz Harbor at berth 10 from 0900 until 1800. The cost of a taxi normally runs about 10Euros to the Pile Brsalje (Square). Since I never use taxi service here, it's hard for me to give out those prices. However I did notice a new sign posted about the fares. You should read the postings about walking the wall, it is very good information. And no, you may not use a credit card for the walls or any of the other sights. Most restaurants and some shops will accept cards, it's entirely up to the owner. There are many ATM machines in the old town, at the square and at the pier. When using the Euro here you will not get the best exchange rate, always better to pay with Croatian Kuna.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Thanks for all the great info DL!

We are a group of 8 (4 adults, 4 children) arriving in Dubrovnik on May 16th on the Norwegian Gem. Since our arrival time is later (1:00 pm-9:00 pm) would it make sense to go to Lokrum when it is warmer, to swim and play for a couple of hours, then return to the old town to walk the walls. Is it still a nice walk at dusk or sunset?

Kids are 13, 13, 11, and 10.

the price was 10 euros just 2 weeks ago

70 kunas each for walking the walls

and yes, some stores take euros (ie leather store)

walking the walls: just to get up the first flight, it is approximately 80 steps and there are more as you walk along (just in case any of you have mobility problems)

it was interesting to see so many people still living within the wall area, laundry waving in the wind, beautiful flowers, cats aplenty, etc.

about 1/2 hour walking, you will see a young woman selling sterling silver jewellery; take a look at the bracelets that she makes--very good prices and she crochets the silver strands with beads (unique!) I never saw these bracelets anywhere else so buy if you like them.