Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi Dubrovniktravelady - We are Dave & Katie from South Texas - we will be in Dubrovnik on Tuesday 5/3/11 - maiden voyage of Carnival Magic - we have been to Dubrovnik twice and walked the Old City both times - do you have any suggestions for something different - land or sea - Thanks:D

Surprised to learn that Carnival is returning to Dubrovnik. They aren't here this summer, something about port charges. Since you're not arriving here until next year, you have time to research. If you missed visiting the Rupe Museum, then you have not seen the best. There is also wine tours on the Peljesac wine road, something you should not do on your own.

Begin by visiting our tourist bureau website, it is filled with very good information. Enjoy your day in Dubrovnik.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

You're a mine of useful information. What is the schedule of ships arriving on 8 June 2010? We will be on P&O Aurora and would like to know how busy the port will be on that day.

Regards.

Petlucher:

Your lucky day, only 2 others will be at the Gruz Harbor for a total of 4,289 cruisers. The better news is that a certain ship will not be at tender in the old port. Do enjoy your time in town, there are many lovely churches, museums and sights to visit.

Dubrovniktravelady, thank you for all the wonderful information you have shared with us about the beautiful area you live in. From all of your posts, I have organised myself for our one day visit from Splendour of the Seas in early June.

Can I just ask you to confirm for me......We take a taxi to the viewpoint for photographs and then the taxi takes us into town from where we begin our walk of the walls. I can't remember which gate you suggested we start from. TIA

Dubrovniktravelady, thank you for all the wonderful information you have shared with us about the beautiful area you live in. From all of your posts, I have organised myself for our one day visit from Splendour of the Seas in early June.

Can I just ask you to confirm for me......We take a taxi to the viewpoint for photographs and then the taxi takes us into town from where we begin our walk of the walls. I can't remember which gate you suggested we start from. TIA

It all depends on which side of town you will dropped. The eastern entrance is called Ploce and the western side is Pile. There are entrances nearby both of them and it depends on if you're walking th entire wall or just half and which half. If you enter from Ploce, the steps to the top are only about 35 and easy. However you will then begin the most difficult part of the wall, climbing up many sets of steps to reach the highest point called Minceta. This part of the wall is lovely and the views will be of the old town. Once you reach the Pile entrance, it is the half way point of the entire wall.

If you decide to enter at Pile, it is the most difficult beginning with 65 steps to reach the top. This is the beginning of the sea side of the walk, the most popular with many. You will be able to view the Adriatic and the old town also and it is the easiest part of the walk. Do remember there is a grand total of 650 steps and they are spread through out the entire wall.

You can download the city map, do note it is 2 pages. This will help you decide which entrance is best for you. Enjoy your time in our town.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

We know we will take the ferry to Lokrum Island, but are there maps available of the island itself? Just wondering if we should jump in the water at our first opportunity off the ship, or walk to a better location? I've done searches and seen many great pictures of the island, but which way to go when we get off the ferry?

We know we will take the ferry to Lokrum Island, but are there maps available of the island itself? Just wondering if we should jump in the water at our first opportunity off the ship, or walk to a better location? I've done searches and seen many great pictures of the island, but which way to go when we get off the ferry?

Just follow the path, either right or left. You will end up at the same spot eventually. I've never seen a map of Lokrum, perhaps there is one somewhere. It's not a very big island, just enjoy the sights. You do understand there are no beaches and that you will be going off the rocks into the sea. At this point in time the water temperature is only about 17C and the only time I ever go into the sea is in August. After that time, for me, it is too cold. Enjoy your time here.

Petlucher:

Your lucky day, only 2 others will be at the Gruz Harbor for a total of 4,289 cruisers. The better news is that a certain ship will not be at tender in the old port. Do enjoy your time in town, there are many lovely churches, museums and sights to visit.

Can you check out another day/ship? We'll be on Aegean Odyssey on Saturday August 21.

You can bet this is one day which I will not go near the old town. There will be 5 ships in port on Saturday, 21 August. Costa will be at tender in the old port and the others will be in Gruz harbor. A total of more than 10,000 cruisers wandering the old town. The only good thing is that your ship does arrive at 0600 and departs at 1300. You will be able to beat some of other passengers into town, but do remember that not much is open before 0800.

If you plan to walk the wall, do it immediately when it opens and before the high heat and humidity. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

What a help you are to all of us! So that's bad news about the number of ships in port that day. Are we facing the same situation in Split - arrive later that night, have the morning there - so August 21st and 22nd. If we arrive early enough, can you recommend anything we can walk to that would be fun to do that evening? Are the shops open in Split on Sunday? In both places we have included tours, so depending on how long they are I'm not sure about there being time to "walk the wall", although it does sound like a wonderful thing to do!

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

You are a wealth of knowledge, thanks for all of your great tips!

May I ask what the schedule of ships arriving on June 11 2010? We will be on Windsurf and would like to know how busy the port will be on that day.

Thanks in advance!

Are there available public restrooms in the Old city and close to the wall?

There are some public facilities at the Pile area, they are not free. Also on top of the walls is another but it is at the half way point if you enter at Pile. There are some at the entrance to the old port. May I suggest that you stop on any one of the outdoor cafes for a wine, coffee or fruit juice and you can then use their restroom. And it makes for a pleasant stop, people watching and a bit of time to relax during your walk. Enjoy your time here.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

You are a wealth of knowledge, thanks for all of your great tips!

May I ask what the schedule of ships arriving on June 11 2010? We will be on Windsurf and would like to know how busy the port will be on that day.

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, 11 June is the opening day of the World Soccer Games in South Africa and you will be at anchor in the old town, arriving at 0700. Costa will be coming in at 0800, do try to be off your ship prior to their arrival. Town is still peacefull and you will have a short period of time before the crowds arrive. It won't be a very busy day, only about 6,200 guests and Costa and MSC will be departing by 1300. That means you will have a lovely afternoon without far too many other guests.

Please don't miss the viewing of the bronze twins at the Rectors Palace, they are the original chimes of our clock tower, named "Maro" and "Baro." Enjoy your time here.

Hi Dubrovniklady,

We are now back from our cruise and I just wanted to stop by and thank you for the advice and tips you give on this thread. Our day in Dubrovnik didn't turn our as planned due to the inclement weather on the 16th May. Nevertheless we enjoyed our visit very much and had a fun time.

We wandered through the old town and visited the monastery, Franciscian monastery, St Blaise's church and did some holiday shopping for family.

I guess I will just have to return another time to see the red roofs and scenery against a bright blue sky...

Tks again and bye for now.

Rgds, S

Hi Dubrovniklady,

We are now back from our cruise and I just wanted to stop by and thank you for the advice and tips you give on this thread. Our day in Dubrovnik didn't turn our as planned due to the inclement weather on the 16th May. Nevertheless we enjoyed our visit very much and had a fun time.

We wandered through the old town and visited the monastery, Franciscian monastery, St Blaise's church and did some holiday shopping for family.

I guess I will just have to return another time to see the red roofs and scenery against a bright blue sky...

Tks again and bye for now.

Rgds, S

I do certainly hope that you plan a grand land tour. Begin in Dubrovnik and wander up the coast, you will find some rather wonderful places.

May has been a wet, windy and chilly month. We do hope that June will begin our warm season, we are all ready to swim in the Adriatic.

Good to hear you did enjoy your day here.

Dubrovniktravelady-

We'll be in Dubrovnik this summer. Arriving on the Gem, so we will be there from 1pm-9pm. While there we would like to do three things and are wondering is it's reasonable to get to all three and how we should plan our day out.

1) the cable car to Srd Hill

2) we would like to visit the Synogogue

3) we want to walk the wall

any advice?

Dubrovniktravelady-

We'll be in Dubrovnik this summer. Arriving on the Gem, so we will be there from 1pm-9pm. While there we would like to do three things and are wondering is it's reasonable to get to all three and how we should plan our day out.

1) the cable car to Srd Hill

2) we would like to visit the Synogogue

3) we want to walk the wall

any advice?

The Gem is normally at anchor in the old port and you will be in the old town quickly. You will have more than enough time to visit all three sights. However we still can't be sure that the cable car will be open, construction deadlines are mostly a joke here.

You can walk the entire wall, it takes about 2 hours with photo stops. The summer hours are not posted, open from 0800 until 1900 daily. Do remember there is no shade up there, bring a sun hat, good walking sandals and plenty of sunscreen.

I find it amazing that some many folks don't do enough research. One of the best places in our town is called, Rupe Museum. And folks just pass it by and they are missing the best show in town.

Walk half the wall, do the Synogogue, Rupe and cable car. Enjoy a local style Dalmatian lunch at one of the many outdoor Konabas. Visit a few of many churches, especially the Cathedral or St Ignatius. There are many sights to see, just visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau it has very good information on events and sights in town. Enjoy your limited time here.

Hi Dubrovniklady,

I so appreciate all of the information that you have continued to provide here. I'm really disappointed that we will also be arriving on Saturday Aug 21st, the day you had indicated that will have 5 ships in port. We are on the Noordam. We definitely will walk the wall and will do so first thing in the morning. How would you suggest we do the walk, based on the crowds that day? Also, I'm looking for a very casual place that we can take our girls with us for grilled squid at lunch time. Thanks so much - MAureen

Hi Dubrovniklady,

I so appreciate all of the information that you have continued to provide here. I'm really disappointed that we will also be arriving on Saturday Aug 21st, the day you had indicated that will have 5 ships in port. We are on the Noordam. We definitely will walk the wall and will do so first thing in the morning. How would you suggest we do the walk, based on the crowds that day? Also, I'm looking for a very casual place that we can take our girls with us for grilled squid at lunch time. Thanks so much - MAureen

I don't understand your question, how do you walk the wall? There's only one direction, it's counterclockwise and you begin at any of the 3 entrances. It might be helpful to you if you had a map of the old town, the best one is located on the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website.

As for lunch, cruise critic does not permit local residents to recommend any privately owned restaurants or shops. I am unable to help you with a lunch selection. However I can tell you that, in my personal experience, many of the restaurants with a sea view do not necessarily have good food.

Enjoy your time in my lovely town.

Hi, we will arrive on 17th August., on the Nieu Amsterdam. Can you advise if there will be many ships in port on this date

Thanks

Hi,

Our cruise (Atlantis charter on the Celebrity Equinox) will arrive on 17th August (11am till 7pm). They expect that the cruise will be sold out (around 2850 passengers).