Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Let's start with the easy one first. Stari Grad means "old town" so it is the entire old part of Dubrovnik located within the city wall. Also FIY, there is no new town, everything else besides the old town is just Dubrovnik.

Yes Queen Victoria is a dock in the Gruz, berth 11 from 0800 to 1600. The Cabrio bus normally does run via the Gruz area, weather depending. You need only purchase one ticket, 90 Kuna per person and you can ride the bus round trip back to the harbor. The main bus terminal is very close to the docks, the bus begins at that point.

We have three separate entrances into the old town, one is the "vrata od Pile" which means door of the Pile, located at the western side of the old town. The other is "Varta od Ploce" which is door of Ploce, located at the eastern side of town. And the last, which I do not recommend because of the many steps, is called "Buza gate, our northern entrance. This north entrance is not to be confused with Buza Bars, which are 2 bars located on the outside of the wall on the sea side. Buza means hole, that is how the gate and bar were named because they are located at a hole in the wall.

Please remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, if you don't know something always ask!

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

THANK YOU!:)

I'm ready to go,thanks to you. At the port I check for the Cabrio bus (weather permitting) I pay 90 Kunas per person, both ways. I will exchange money on ship. If weather does not permit, armed with a raincoat ;)I will take a taxi (which I can pay with euros ) I will ask to be brought to the Vrata od Pile gate. I will look for the entrance to the cable when I am near the Varta od Ploce entrance. See, I think I've got it! Now where can I buy some Croatian beer and very strong coffee? THANK YOU:):):)

We arrive at 7:00 am on Oct 22nd on the carnival Magic. Is there any reason to get off the ship that early if our plans are to visit old town, do the cable car and walk the wall? I am aware we have 6 ships in port that day, but did not think a 7:00 am debarkation from the ship would be beneficial if nothing is open.

Thanks. We will also take the cabrio bus sometime that day.

THANK YOU!:)

I'm ready to go,thanks to you. At the port I check for the Cabrio bus (weather permitting) I pay 90 Kunas per person, both ways. I will exchange money on ship. If weather does not permit, armed with a raincoat ;)I will take a taxi (which I can pay with euros ) I will ask to be brought to the Vrata od Pile gate. I will look for the entrance to the cable when I am near the Varta od Ploce entrance. See, I think I've got it! Now where can I buy some Croatian beer and very strong coffee? THANK YOU:):):)

There are many wonderful cafes around town for local coffee and beer, also sweets. Do however get off the main promenade, go to the side streets and you will find better prices and more local residents.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

We arrive at 7:00 am on Oct 22nd on the carnival Magic. Is there any reason to get off the ship that early if our plans are to visit old town, do the cable car and walk the wall? I am aware we have 6 ships in port that day, but did not think a 7:00 am debarkation from the ship would be beneficial if nothing is open.

Thanks. We will also take the cabrio bus sometime that day.

Carnival arrives in port at 0700, doubt you could get off the ship anytime prior to 0800 at the earliest. Our museums and city wall do open at 0900 and it is going to be a very busy day with more than 10,000 cruisers wandering the old town. Do note the Cabrio bus last tour begins at 1430, so plan your day accordingly, weather depending.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

It doesn't seem to get mentioned in guidebooks. What time did you do the bus & when would you recommend? We want to do the cabriobus, walk the walls, self-guided audio tour through the town & cable car & not sure at the moment how to plan it. We are there 8am-11pm so may do cable car at sunset as suggested earlier in this thread but not sure whether to do cabriobus first to get an overview or Walls first before it gets too busy & hot.

We got on the bus at 10:50 outside the tourist info office by the Pile gate. This is the link to the website http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com/cabriobus.jpg

Maybe doing the walls first would be best then relax on the bus?

Also here's the one for the cable car

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Hope that helps you with your plans.

It doesn't seem to get mentioned in guidebooks. What time did you do the bus & when would you recommend? We want to do the cabriobus, walk the walls, self-guided audio tour through the town & cable car & not sure at the moment how to plan it. We are there 8am-11pm so may do cable car at sunset as suggested earlier in this thread but not sure whether to do cabriobus first to get an overview or Walls first before it gets too busy & hot.

Many guide books are less than accurate and often out of date. Cabrio bus has been running for many years and no shore excursions offer it, nor do many guides. This 2 hour tour is the best option for many who are unable to navigate our many steps or have any type of disability.

Do remember the bus will not run when our weather changes. After 93+ days with not one drop of rain we are so looking forward to a good storm.

Again, the last trip departs Pile Brsalje at 1430, be there earlier to pick up bus. Have heard this year they've begun to accept Euros, still no credit cards.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Could you take the Cabrio bus from the Main Bus station by Gruz harbor and then get off at the Pile stop and walk the wall and then later get back on the bus and complete the route, getting off at the Main Bus station?

Cabrio is not a hop on and hop off bus, it's just a touring bus which takes 2 hours to complete. You can get off at Pile but they will expect you to buy another ticket if you try to board again.

Dubrovniktravelady, is there a public bus that runs from the Gruz port to the Old Town? If yes, how much would this be? If we walk, how long would it take? We enjoy walking. After walking the wall,we would take the Cabrio Bus back to port, or is a taxi the only way to get to the old town? THANK YOU!!:)

Dubrovniktravelady, is there a public bus that runs from the Gruz port to the Old Town? If yes, how much would this be? If we walk, how long would it take? We enjoy walking. After walking the wall,we would take the Cabrio Bus back to port, or is a taxi the only way to get to the old town? THANK YOU!!:)

Please do reconsider walking from the Gruz harbor to the old town, it will take about 1 hour and it will take you via our business district - very boring and not scenic at all. You will have more than enough walking in the old town, especially if you are walking the entire wall.

You can take a taxi from the harbor to town, cost is 75Kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will take Euros. Our local bus will bring you into town, cost is 10 Kunas if you buy your tickets at the newsstand or 12 Kunas from the driver. Local bus will only accept Croatian Kuna, nothing else. Do check with your cruise line if they are offering a shuttle service and the cost, it's another way into town.

Cabrio bus is tour bus, it is a 2 hour sightseeing trip to the old town and surrounding areas. Cost is 90 Kuna per person, seems to be a waste of money if you don't enjoy the entire tour which is really interesting and informative.

There is so much more to Dubrovnik than just walking the wall, we have many historical and cultural sites - Rectors Palace, Rupe Museum, Franciscan Monastery and my personal favorite the Dominican Monastery with it's museum.

Please do not miss our Cable car ride for the most breathtaking view, it is a "Must".

Please do reconsider walking from the Gruz harbor to the old town, it will take about 1 hour and it will take you via our business district - very boring and not scenic at all. You will have more than enough walking in the old town, especially if you are walking the entire wall.

You can take a taxi from the harbor to town, cost is 75Kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will take Euros. Our local bus will bring you into town, cost is 10 Kunas if you buy your tickets at the newsstand or 12 Kunas from the driver. Local bus will only accept Croatian Kuna, nothing else. Do check with your cruise line if they are offering a shuttle service and the cost, it's another way into town.

Cabrio bus is tour bus, it is a 2 hour sightseeing trip to the old town and surrounding areas. Cost is 90 Kuna per person, seems to be a waste of money if you don't enjoy the entire tour which is really interesting and informative.

There is so much more to Dubrovnik than just walking the wall, we have many historical and cultural sites - Rectors Palace, Rupe Museum, Franciscan Monastery and my personal favorite the Dominican Monastery with it's museum.

Please do not miss our Cable car ride for the most breathtaking view, it is a "Must".

Thank you, once again!:):)

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

I just found Lapad beach bar and wonder how far it is from Old Town? Our ship is in port from noon-7pm and I would like to do the cable car, walk the seaside 1/2 of the wall and then go this beach for a drink and back to the ship around 6pm. Is there enough time for all this?

http://www.lapad-beach.com/

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

I just found Lapad beach bar and wonder how far it is from Old Town? Our ship is in port from noon-7pm and I would like to do the cable car, walk the seaside 1/2 of the wall and then go this beach for a drink and back to the ship around 6pm. Is there enough time for all this?

http://www.lapad-beach.com/

From the old town you will either take a taxi or our local bus to reach the Lapad area. And I do suggest you take a taxi for your return trip to Gruz Harbor. Do you have enough time? Depends on how long it takes to walk the sea side of the wall and how long you spend on Mt. Srd. An alternate might be to stop and the East/West club at Banje beach which is steps away from our Ploce gate.

http://www.ew-dubrovnik.com/

Thanks for the link. That looks as nice as the Lapad beach. I take it that the beach is not sand, but pebbles? Do you know how high the jump is off the rocks at Buza?

Banje beach is mostly pebbles, has a small amount of sand if you look carefully. Location wise Banje is closer to the old town than the Lapad area and that is why I suggested it. Many people swim in June, I do find the sea temperatures to be a bit chilly for me, close to 20C.

Do be aware there are 2 Buza bars, one has some nice lower levels to jump off. I personally prefer the first one closer to the Cathedral, easier to find and less steps to reach the entrance. The other which is further along the wall is where you will find the ROCK, it's about 17 meters above the water level. That jump is not for everyone and this past year we had 2 very serious accidents, both Australians who did not judge their distance accurately. Locals have been jumping off that rock for years, but they began by going into the water from the lower levels and checking the locations of the rocks which are below the water level. They know the rocks below the water, they know to jump outward and they understand how wet and slippery the top of the rock is as they navigate their jump. Personally there is not enough money for me to even consider a jump. Make sure you buy travel insurance prior to your departure from home. Good luck and enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Many guide books are less than accurate and often out of date. Cabrio bus has been running for many years and no shore excursions offer it, nor do many guides. This 2 hour tour is the best option for many who are unable to navigate our many steps or have any type of disability.

Do remember the bus will not run when our weather changes. After 93+ days with not one drop of rain we are so looking forward to a good storm.

Again, the last trip departs Pile Brsalje at 1430, be there earlier to pick up bus. Have heard this year they've begun to accept Euros, still no credit cards.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Dobrou dne,

I use a wheelchair fulltime (do not walk at all) and wonder if this bus tour is completely accessible? We'll be in Dubrovnik the second week in October and is that during the time it doesn't rain? My husband and I will be meeting a friend when we stop in Split so all set there but have no plans and have never been to Dubrovnik before. We will be on HAL's Rotterdam and also wonder if shuttles from the port will be accessible or are there minvan, not minibuse, taxies? We love to also have lunch in local family restaurants and love local seafood dishes and wines. Any suggestions on good spots hopefully in a square or sunny spot unless it is rainy than a big fire inside would be good! Many years ago we lived in Rome for years and understand the need for the fall rains. Just hope we get a dry day or two for Croatia. Also are any of the museums you listed accessible?

Sue

Edited by NorthernLite
Addition needed.

silly question ,but-is there a railing around the wall(I hate heights)

can we walk to town from the port or must we take the ship's tour?

what is the weather in November there?

is the pharmacy easy to find?

can't wait to see Dubrovnik!:)

Edited by happier
re-write

Dobrou dne,

I use a wheelchair fulltime (do not walk at all) and wonder if this bus tour is completely accessible? We'll be in Dubrovnik the second week in October and is that during the time it doesn't rain? My husband and I will be meeting a friend when we stop in Split so all set there but have no plans and have never been to Dubrovnik before. We will be on HAL's Rotterdam and also wonder if shuttles from the port will be accessible or are there minvan, not minibuse, taxies? We love to also have lunch in local family restaurants and love local seafood dishes and wines. Any suggestions on good spots hopefully in a square or sunny spot unless it is rainy than a big fire inside would be good! Many years ago we lived in Rome for years and understand the need for the fall rains. Just hope we get a dry day or two for Croatia. Also are any of the museums you listed accessible?

Sue

Dobra Dan Sue:

It's important you contact Holland America about the shuttle services they provide. I do not remember ever seeing any of our transfer buses or taxis which offer ramp of lift services. The cruise line may have local contacts with a private transfer mini van which will accommodate you. The Cabrio tour bus has one small entrance with 3 or 4 steps and it is narrow, do not believe your chair would fit.

Dobrososli u Dubrovnik

My niece is also in a wheelchair, so I am familiar with your needs. Are you able to use a slide board for a regular taxi? Also remember to have the air in your tires adapted for hard stone surfaces, don't remember if the inflation should be soft or hard.

It is doubtful that you will be able to visit some of the museums. Rupe is out since there are far too many steps to reach it. The ground floor of the Rectors Palace is possible as it has only one major step. Most of the museums have many uneven levels and the displays are usually on the second and third floors.

You will be able to enjoy walking our main promenade, as parts of the old town are fairly level. We have had many wheelchair guests in town and it is the old town which is the picturesque part you will experience.

Unable to give you any recommendations for local Dalmatian food, as a local resident the rules of cruise critic are strict on such. You should continue to research for restaurants, we have an abundance many are good and some are not. Most have sun awnings and if we finally get some rain, there are many which have nice indoor seating.

We had a shower last night, about 10 minutes of rain and it was enough to cool down our recent high temperatures. Dress in layers, but I do believe Indian Summer has ended in Dubrovnik.

silly question ,but-is there a railing around the wall(I hate heights)

can we walk to town from the port or must we take the ship's tour?

what is the weather in November there?

is the pharmacy easy to find?

can't wait to see Dubrovnik!:)

There are no railings on the top of the city wall, as they are built with stone sides high enough that you need not look over the edges. I also don't care for heights but have no problems on the wall, it's a comfortable walk and worth the views.

Some guests do walk from the port and it's mostly uphill via our business districts and not very interesting and will eat up about 1 hour of your limited time here. Take a taxi or shuttle bus, there is more than enough walking inside of the old town and sites are either up many steps or hidden.

Weather in November can be sunny and comfortable or wet and windy. It is normally our wettest month, but who knows these days. We've been without any rain for a couple of months and it is needed desperately. Dress in lawyers and do bring an umbrella and water proof jacket, just in case. Winds were very high the last few days and all tender ships were moved to the Gruz harbor, creating longer transfer times.

The old pharmacy is part of the Franciscan Monastery museum, located just next to the main entrance of the city wall, you can't miss it. However do not miss visiting the Dominican Monastery and it's museum, so worth the time to locate the entrance.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Dobra Dan Sue:

It's important you contact Holland America about the shuttle services they provide. I do not remember ever seeing any of our transfer buses or taxis which offer ramp of lift services. The cruise line may have local contacts with a private transfer mini van which will accommodate you. The Cabrio tour bus has one small entrance with 3 or 4 steps and it is narrow, do not believe your chair would fit.

Dobrososli u Dubrovnik

My niece is also in a wheelchair, so I am familiar with your needs. Are you able to use a slide board for a regular taxi? Also remember to have the air in your tires adapted for hard stone surfaces, don't remember if the inflation should be soft or hard.

It is doubtful that you will be able to visit some of the museums. Rupe is out since there are far too many steps to reach it. The ground floor of the Rectors Palace is possible as it has only one major step. Most of the museums have many uneven levels and the displays are usually on the second and third floors.

You will be able to enjoy walking our main promenade, as parts of the old town are fairly level. We have had many wheelchair guests in town and it is the old town which is the picturesque part you will experience.

Unable to give you any recommendations for local Dalmatian food, as a local resident the rules of cruise critic are strict on such. You should continue to research for restaurants, we have an abundance many are good and some are not. Most have sun awnings and if we finally get some rain, there are many which have nice indoor seating.

We had a shower last night, about 10 minutes of rain and it was enough to cool down our recent high temperatures. Dress in layers, but I do believe Indian Summer has ended in Dubrovnik.

Dobra Dan!

Been awhile since I used any Slavic language other than Czech. I am discussing tours now with Holland America. It was hard to tell from the picture if the Cambrio bus had a back ramped area like those in Bermuda.

I have the solid core tires because we often do travel to countries still more comfortable with cobblestones than asphalt paving.

Sounds like we will hope for anything but a storm and see some of the Old Town (Stari Grad?) and possibly the Rector's Palace before a nice late lunch. I understand both squid and seppia are available on your side of the adriatic? And I always keep a rain proof jacket in my back pack. If we have time I'll find a place for a long coffee and send my husband up on the wall to take pictures.

We'll see more I think in Split. We'll meet a Croatian friend there to show us around the new Riva and then more food and 'green wine'. :)

Sue

Celebrity Solstice will be in Dubrovnik on 11/22, do you happen to know where she will be docked or if we will have to tender in?

Thank you --

During the month of November and December, all ships at docked in the Gruz harbor. During our winter months, no ships can be at anchor as the sea are rather rough.

During the month of November and December, all ships at docked in the Gruz harbor. During our winter months, no ships can be at anchor as the sea are rather rough.

Thank you for the information, Dubrovniktravelady! Looking forward to visiting your city.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Our itinerary states that the Seabourn Odyssey will tender in Dubrovnik on November 12. So do you think this might change because of the weather?. It seems like the town is closer if the ship tenders but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Our itinerary states that the Seabourn Odyssey will tender in Dubrovnik on November 12. So do you think this might change because of the weather?. It seems like the town is closer if the ship tenders but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help.

Checked the port authority website again after I had my morning coffee and did see that indeed Seabourn does show at anchor in the old port. This does surprise me as normally the winds prevent any ship from anchorage. Again it will be weather which will dictate if the ship is changed to the Gruz harbor. You probably will not know until the actual day of arrival. Yes, it is true the ships at anchor are closer to the old town, just steps from the old port dock.