Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Just see how easy you make it, many thanks

always another question, do the shops shut in the afternoon

Dear Dubrovniktravelady

I am trying to post for the first time on this site and I cannot work out how to send you a message. I don't know if this going to you now or going to "nelderwoman"

Please help somebody out there!

Many thanks

Thanks for all the wonderful information! We are relatively new to cruising and have never done a DIY, and have only taken ship excursions before and the few we took were in the Caribbean.

We are a party of 3 and will be arriving Sunday, October 6th from 2:00-9:00, which is unfortunate. My main priority port was Dubrovnik, but wish we had more daylight hours. It has been suggested to take a cab to the cable cars 1st. We'd like to visit the museum at the top of Mount Srd, then walk the city walls (not sure which entrance to arrive at?) and finish with the Stadun walking tour following Rick Steves guidebook. If possible, we'd like to enter the Monastery. We're not big "foodies" and our priority is the sights and back alleys. I hear the Sunset is amazing!

Given the closing hours for the wall vs cable car, would you still recommend this order? I'd like to tour some of the historic sights as well and fear daytime hours will be tight. Can you tell me if this is a good plan and roughly how much time to allocate to each sight? Given that the ship departs at 9:00pm, when should we leave the city to ensure enough time to get back on board?

I had thought of taking bus #8 to the cable cars, but would it be more efficient to take a taxi from the port directly to the cable cars vs the bus? What would be the expected cost?

Any assistance or suggestions are welcome!

Dear Dubrovniktravelady

I am trying to post for the first time on this site and I cannot work out how to send you a message. I don't know if this going to you now or going to "nelderwoman"

Please help somebody out there!

Many thanks

We can see your post on the Cruise Critic site ports of call board, rastacustard. You quoted nelderwoman but your reply was public, which means dubrovniktravelady can see it also. Hope this helps

Dubrovniktravelady, you're information is wonderful and I am so appreciative! Thank you!!! I have read through only the last 3 or 4 pages but feel I have garnered quite a bit of info to use in our visit on May 21.

Thank you again!

• 2 weeks later...
Is a taxi the best way to get into town from the ship? If so, are there plenty of cabs?

What about going back to the ship, where is the best place to find a taxi?

Taxi from the Gruz port is the fastest and easiest way to arrive at the old part of town. You will find taxis waiting in the same area in which you were dropped off, at the Pile Brsalje (square).

Thanks,

Will we be able to fit four adults in the taxi. Also, do taxis run by meter or do we need to pre-negotiate a price?

We don't have many SUV's or mini vans taxis here. Can you fit 4 adults into one car, that is up to you and the taxi driver. The price from the Gruz harbor to the entrance to the old part of town is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros.

We are arriving in Dubrovnik on October 1st, on Legend of the Sea. We don't arrive until 12:00 and leave at 9:00. This is our second trip to Dubrovnik but the first time we did a ship's excursion into the country. This time I want to do the cable car and walk the wall. I really want a guide, I enjoy that interaction but I haven't been able to get a walking tour to respond to my emails yet. My big question is what to do after dark. Does the old town area close down early?

We are arriving in Dubrovnik on October 1st, on Legend of the Sea. We don't arrive until 12:00 and leave at 9:00. This is our second trip to Dubrovnik but the first time we did a ship's excursion into the country. This time I want to do the cable car and walk the wall. I really want a guide, I enjoy that interaction but I haven't been able to get a walking tour to respond to my emails yet. My big question is what to do after dark. Does the old town area close down early?

As you are departing at 9pm, you will probably need to depart the old town by 7:30pm. It does not close down at night, some shops are open until 10pm and cafes until 11pm. Early evening is the best time to stroll and experience the old town.

Continue to research for a reputable private guide, learning about the town, our culture and history will be rewarding.

Hello DubrovnikTravelady! We last visited Dubrovnik four years ago in 2009. Are there any additions or changes of significance since our last visit that we should be aware of? We plan to taxi to Ploce gate, walk the walls and the town. Maybe go to the beach again. Thanks so much in advance!

Edited by Terpnut

Hello DubrovnikTravelady! We last visited Dubrovnik four years ago in 2009. Are there any additions or changes of significance since our last visit that we should be aware of? We plan to taxi to Ploce gate, walk the walls and the town. Maybe go to the beach again. Thanks so much in advance!

Excellent choice to be dropped at Ploce gate side of town. However since the cable car was not open on your last visit, it would be better to drop you at the entrance. This is located just above the Ploce area and you can walk down to the old town after spending time enjoying the view from the top of Mt. Srd.

Enjoy!

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Not sure if my original questions were answered, but will try again. we are arriving in October and about 4300 passengers will be in port during our time from 2:00 - 9:00 pm. We plan to take a taxi directly to Mount Srd to the cable cars? How much will that cost and how much time should we allocate for the taxi ride and sightseeing for the cable cars?

We plan to walk down to Ploce Gates and then walk the walls. Does that mean we are walking the interior and not the seaside, as we'd like to walk the seaside. I understand it takes about 2 hrs and closes at 6:00pm. Is that correct? I've read that we should be back at the harbour by 7:30pm to get back on the ship. That seems a bit early. Is this the recommendation?

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Not sure if my original questions were answered, but will try again. we are arriving in October and about 4300 passengers will be in port during our time from 2:00 - 9:00 pm. We plan to take a taxi directly to Mount Srd to the cable cars? How much will that cost and how much time should we allocate for the taxi ride and sightseeing for the cable cars?

We plan to walk down to Ploce Gates and then walk the walls. Does that mean we are walking the interior and not the seaside, as we'd like to walk the seaside. I understand it takes about 2 hrs and closes at 6:00pm. Is that correct? I've read that we should be back at the harbour by 7:30pm to get back on the ship. That seems a bit early. Is this the recommendation?

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Taxi from the port to the cable car entrance should cost about 75 to 80 Kuna. How long you spend up there is up to you, the actual time is only 4 minutes to reach the top. Admire the views, take photos and perhaps a drink.

If you want to walk the sea side of the wall, you must enter at the main entrance which is at the Pile gate entrance to the old part of town. I have often walked the sea side and it only takes about 1 hour including photo stops, yes it closes at 6pm in October.

What time to return to your ship, early enough so you are not left standing on the pier as it pulls away.

We have just returned from our cruise on the NCL Jade and when we visited Dubrovnik last Sunday on the 12 May we were provided shuttle buses @ $10.99 per adult to get into the town, but unfortunately as soon as we got to the town the heavens opened and we had to shelter under some awnings and then try and get back on the bus to return to the ship as the weather was so bad and was causing flooding. The one place on our cruise tat I was looking forward to visiting and the most we say was the restaurant awning we sheltered under.

We have just returned from our cruise on the NCL Jade and when we visited Dubrovnik last Sunday on the 12 May we were provided shuttle buses @ $10.99 per adult to get into the town, but unfortunately as soon as we got to the town the heavens opened and we had to shelter under some awnings and then try and get back on the bus to return to the ship as the weather was so bad and was causing flooding. The one place on our cruise tat I was looking forward to visiting and the most we say was the restaurant awning we sheltered under.

Our weather this month has been mostly wet often with high winds. So unlike last year when we were swimming in May. I am sorry you missed visiting the old part of town and hope you will make plans to return some day. Normally September and early October the weather is much better. Give Dubrovnik another chance.

Taxi from the port to the cable car entrance should cost about 75 to 80 Kuna. How long you spend up there is up to you, the actual time is only 4 minutes to reach the top. Admire the views, take photos and perhaps a drink.

If you want to walk the sea side of the wall, you must enter at the main entrance which is at the Pile gate entrance to the old part of town. I have often walked the sea side and it only takes about 1 hour including photo stops, yes it closes at 6pm in October.

What time to return to your ship, early enough so you are not left standing on the pier as it pulls away.

Are there two entrance fees; one for the interior and one for the sea side of the wall? I was thinking of walking the wall after the cable car, but if I enter at that gate, do I only get the inside view?

Are there two entrance fees; one for the interior and one for the sea side of the wall? I was thinking of walking the wall after the cable car, but if I enter at that gate, do I only get the inside view?

There is an entrance to the wall near Ploce gate. It is the beginning of the upward part of the wall with the majority of the steps. The wall encompasses the old part of town and once on it you can see the interior and outer areas. Perhaps downloading the tourist bureau map may give you a better insight of our town. There is only one entrance fee of 90 Kuna to walk the wall.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf