Baby doll tops? How not to look preganant

I need some suggestions for tops that will flatter my shape, but not make me look pregnant. Any suggestions are great.

I'm just adding this here, for your reference - as that other thread got me thinking about jeans in general...

For your particular shape and question (because I think that jeans that fit well, are flattering on any woman;)):

Check into these, since you are "birthday shopping"...

Try a mid rise jean, right across the stomach, not too high above or low cut.

Not tight, if it gives a muffin top in any way, stay away!

Again, like with the above mentioned shirts, you want it to skim just out from your natural body shape...

Try on both boot cuts and trouser leg cuts...

Some to have fun trying on, and playing with until you find the exact right one:

AG, Banana Republic, Cambio, Citizens of Humanity, CK, Diesel, Gap, Gold Sign, Joe's Jeans, Levi's, Lucky, Marc, Paige Premium, Seven, Tahari, and Womyn...

(I put those all in alphabetical order, so it makes it easier to organize your shopping).;)

These are such a basic essential, I promise that once you find the one that is perfect for your figure - it will become one of the most versatile parts of your wardrobe!:D

When I joined Weight Watchers I was right near the top of my height/weight ratio, but had just put on 10 lbs from a cruise, the holidays, and a trip to Hawaii. I wanted to learn good eating habits that would help me take off the extra 10 lbs, teach me how to eat in moderation, and not leave me feeling hungry and deprived all the time. The hardest part is still finding that balance between hungry and satisfied, but the counselor has been really helpful. Now that I have taken off the first 7lbs, it is really slowing down, and since I'm in a healthy weight range I'm trying to figure out a balance between trying to look like I did when I was 20 (Probably isn't going to happen) and settling in on a healthy weight and finding some styles that are flattering at that weight.

My Mom is a life member at WW and so she really felt if I joined and attended the meetings I would develop life long healthy eating habits.

I have some health concerns that motivate me to keep my weight low, so it is again trying to find a healthy and aesthetic weight that will work for me.

Kurt, I like the style of that first red top? I was also thinking about getting some tops a bit longer and wearing them with slim capris or bermuda's. I have some tops that I bought a few years ago when I was super slim and they looked great with capris and jeans, but now that I am bigger in the hips and tummy, the tops still fit but just aren't as flattering. Would I go similar styles in a bigger size? Those tops are sort of close cut empire boho style shirts.

Hi Suzanne,

I think that you and I could probably share a wardrobe, as we're built a lot alike. At my best weight I'm what I call a "fat 4", that is a size 4 in large cut brands, and a 6 in more true to size cut brands, and like you I'm pear shaped. Right now, I'm closer to a size 8 and I'm miserable. Even my mother has commented on how chunky I'm getting. So I may be at Weight Watchers too!

Ignore comments from perfect stranger and kurbanfan. They obviously know little about weight, fat, BMI, etc.

As far as the tops go, I agree that you have to try on many to find one that's flattering. For me, most of them don't make me look pregnant, as my stomach isn't a problem area for me. However, my biggest problem with these tops is that they hit me on the widest part of my hip where they have a lot of flowy fabric and they make but butt and hips look v-e-r-y wide and really accentuate the pear shape. So when you try some on, look at the rear view, as much as you look at the front and side view.

Happy Shopping!

Hi Suzanne,

I think that you and I could probably share a wardrobe, as we're built a lot alike. At my best weight I'm what I call a "fat 4", that is a size 4 in large cut brands, and a 6 in more true to size cut brands, and like you I'm pear shaped. Right now, I'm closer to a size 8 and I'm miserable. Even my mother has commented on how chunky I'm getting. So I may be at Weight Watchers too!

Ignore comments from perfect stranger and kurbanfan. They obviously know little about weight, fat, BMI, etc.

LOL! I have worked part time for over 20 years as a certified fitness instructor.......so I do know a little bit....

Last night I did a little bit of pre-summer shopping, because its getting hot here and I wanted some shorts and tops.

Many of the suggestions were right on target, "Try them on." I was wearing my brown Lee capri's to the store, and the problem with those pants is that the button hits me right at my poochiest part. So I can't wear them with any thing tight or the button and fly overlaps sticks out. I tired on a couple of tops with brown in them but didn't like them at all. They were too full and I thought unflattering.

Then I tried on a pair of back long shorts, almost capris. The button hit me above my poochy part, but the back gaped a bit. But I like the way that they fit. So I decided I could take that part in a bit at home because I liked the way they fit everywhere else, especially through the seat. I found two tops to go with them, and my many, many black pants. One is a print simililar to the example of the red one that Curt posted. The other is one of those blousse with the band at the hips. That too turned out to be very flattering. This was just a start, Mom is takingme shopping next month, so atleast I'll havea few things to wear that look really nice till then. And it was Ross, so I didn't spend much at all.

Thanks for all your help. I hope to find a top to go with those brown capris as they are a favorite pair, I just need the right top to go with them.

OP, what are you doing at Weight Watchers when you're only a size 8??? ;)

Weight Watchers is a good safe program whether you need to loose 10 pounds or 100. If a size 8 is on a very small framed person, they may very wekk need to lose weight.

The good thing about the program is that they will not take anyone who is too thin, nor allow you to lose too much. If you drop down a certain amount beyond your ideal weight, you have to have a doctor's permission to continue the program.

Archived