Baby doll tops? How not to look preganant

Hey ladies and Curt, I have gained a little weight over the last year, and I'm working on loosing a bit of it. I joined weight watchers in Feb and took off 7 lbs, but I'm now more of a size 6/8 than a 4. I've decided that I don't need to be as skinny as I was in my 30's because I'm still in my healthy weight range, but I just need to get some My pear shape is a bit more "pear-ish", and I'll be doing some clothes shopping soon for my birthday.

I need some suggestions for tops that will flatter my shape, but not make me look pregnant. The baby doll tops are so cute, but I'm wondering if they are a good choice? What else would look good with slim shorts or capris for the summer. I'm also thinking some summer maxi dresses would be cute. Any suggestions are great.

See if you can find any tops that have shirring through the mid section. It camaflouges well. Also, some baby dolls do hang closer to the body than others, you have to keep trying on. One other style is a blouse-on look. It kind of has a dropped waist, so it's a little loose on top, comes in close where the dropped waist is, then flairs a bit at the bottom.

I can't help but ask, do you exercise? I've always been thin, then in my mid-forties things started changing. In 2-year's time, I had put on 15 lbs., mainly in the lower region. I have been exercising/dieting since I was 20, it's been a lifestyle. I cut carbs, mainly bread and pasta, and it came off in no time. I only eat low-carb wraps or double-fiber whole wheat bread. Then a few lbs. started creeping up again. I increased the frequency of my aerobic workout. Instead of 2-3 times a week, I now do 5. Only about 20-30 minutes on a stepper I have at home (which I'll do while watching the news), then 30 minutes on the eliptical at the gym on the weekend. I do a dumbbell routine at home as well, about 4 days a week, then the equipment at the gym on the weekend.

Things were fine for a bit, but I felt my mid section wasn't what it used to be. I do a crunching routine (25 sides crunches, 25 mid crunches, 10 elbow-to-knee for obliques, and 10 leg raises for lower) 7 days a week, 2-3 sets. I now have a 2-piece bathing suit on mail order! Haven't worn one in 5 years!

P.S. I turn 50 in October. I've been maintaing the 125 lbs that I weighed years ago, and after cutting out the bread and pasta, went back to a size 6.

I am a big time exerciser. I do cardio/weight training 4 days a week, folkloric dancing and flamenco dancing 2 days a week. I walk about 2-4 miles two or three days a week, I do the eliptical 2-4 days a week. I am very slim up top even when I have this extra 10 lbs, I am just pear shaped with a bit of a poochy tummy and rear end. The pear shape is just my shape. I just want to find some tops that balance me out a bit more.

I find that the babydolls that start flowing out a few inches under the bust tend to make me look pregnant. The ones that start flowing out right under the bust or above the bust do not. You will probably need to try several styles on, but they are out there. I also agree about the drop waist shirts- they also tend to cover up certain parts of the midsection.

You can find shirts that "flow away" from the body, but still are slimming---try to find something that doesn't have too much material. Sometimes, that will simply make you look larger!

Just because something is "in fashion" doesn't mean it's the look for you! (Right now, all the shirts seem to be too long---makes my legs look shorter than they really are...so I don't buy them, even though they're "in"!)

Don't worry about the "in" style--buy what makes you look fabulous!

Hi Suzanne:)nice to see you again......I think it depends

on where that waist is cut on the top.

I am the opposite in size...14-16, and depending on the top,

some of them look horrible on me and make me look very

pregnant:rolleyes::eek:while others seem to fall in a better place...

under the bustline but just in the correct spot.

Really depends on the cut.....I am big enough without

an "empire waist/baby doll top" making me look heavier.

Hey ladies and Curt, I have gained a little weight over the last year, and I'm working on loosing a bit of it. I joined weight watchers in Feb and took off 7 lbs, but I'm now more of a size 6/8 than a 4. I've decided that I don't need to be as skinny as I was in my 30's because I'm still in my healthy weight range, but I just need to get some My pear shape is a bit more "pear-ish", and I'll be doing some clothes shopping soon for my birthday.

I need some suggestions for tops that will flatter my shape, but not make me look pregnant. The baby doll tops are so cute, but I'm wondering if they are a good choice? What else would look good with slim shorts or capris for the summer. I'm also thinking some summer maxi dresses would be cute. Any suggestions are great.

Early Happy Birthday!:D

For the first direct question, all baby-dolls are not created equal.

Most that are in the stores, I don't think are even flattering on most women.

But, the key is to find a top with a seam under the bust - then the rest falls and flows (key word here) slightly away from your midsection.

Slightly, as in still following the female hourglass shape, but almost skimming in the air around your midsection.

I'm trying to explain that correctly as it makes sense to me, when I can point to good and bad fits.

(CJW goes away and does a quick Internet search and a Photoshop collage)...;)

Okay, here's a quick down and fast visual of just searching the Internet really fast on a Good Fit (as I explain above) and a Bad Fit, where it's just too much fabric, too much fit, and makes even skinny model women look pregnant...

It's about the balance in fabric amount from the above the bustline, compared to far, far more (too much) fabric below the bustline!

06b46f015fd879be3a91171e09b0711e.jpg

That's just giving you an answer so far, on seeing the difference on those type of cuts specifically...:cool:

If you have big-ish boobs (as I do) :othen those baby doll tops look even more ridiculous, and I'm not fat! They aren't designed with boobs in mind.:confused:

I was on a MISSION to find tops. Went to Macy's and, I kid you not, tried on 37 tops, and left with 3. Two were the same top but in different colors. They were made by Karen Kane. Very cute.:cool:

If you have big-ish boobs (as I do) :othen those baby doll tops look even more ridiculous' date=' and I'm not fat! They aren't designed with boobs in mind.:confused:[/quote']

I am overweight, but I have the big-boob problem with those tops.

Most are cut so that the seams hit me across the boobs instead of underneath. When I go to try the plus sizes, they either do the same thing, or they have too much fabric and they make them look even bigger and lower.:eek:

Finding cute casual tops is an exercise in frustration right now. I agree with Curt's choices completely, but finding something similar is another thing. Finding 'baby doll' tops that aren't too young-looking is difficult--empire waist works better, but most have too much fabric under the bust or too high a bust line or are too long for a shorter woman. Ack!

I actually have two that I bought on sale and like, but I'm just not sure they are age appropriate. I put them on; I take them off; I put them on; I take them off.

So far, I haven't actually worn them anywhere. This is probably means that they are too young-looking.

But, the key is to find a top with a seam under the bust - then the rest falls and flows (key word here) slightly away from your midsection.

Slightly, as in still following the female hourglass shape, but almost skimming in the air around your midsection.

I'm trying to explain that correctly as it makes sense to me, when I can point to good and bad fits.

Okay, here's a quick down and fast visual of just searching the Internet really fast on a Good Fit (as I explain above) and a Bad Fit, where it's just too much fabric, too much fit, and makes even skinny model women look pregnant...

It's about the balance in fabric amount from the above the bustline, compared to far, far more (too much) fabric below the bustline!

That's just giving you an answer so far, on seeing the difference on those type of cuts specifically...:cool:

Good examples! and I learned about that from Clinton and Stacy form WNTW. At first I said I would never wear them until watching a show and hearing them say some are cut differently. I decided to try a top on at the store and they were right! It did look nice on me-even if I am a 12-14 and carry my weight in my midsection. I have learned so much from them. Too bad they were not around 30 years ago!

So if the blouse is cut more a-line under the bust than material that is gathered, it will look better on a heavier person.

However, my daughter has both styles. She is little, (size zero) but I do feel the more fitted are more attractive on her. She does not look pregnant in the gathered ones, she is too tiny, but they look like a sack on her and are not attractive. But, the more fitted ones are attractive on her.

OP, what are you doing at Weight Watchers when you're only a size 8??? ;)

In defense of the OP ... Weight Watchers allows people to participate as long as they are above the minimum recommended weight for their age, height and frame.

And in reality, if I had joined WW when I hit a size 8 I never would have hit a size 12!!!

In defense of the OP ... Weight Watchers allows people to participate as long as they are above the minimum recommended weight for their age' date=' height and frame.

And in reality, if I had joined WW when I hit a size 8 I never would have hit a size 12!!![/quote']

When I joined Weight Watchers I was right near the top of my height/weight ratio, but had just put on 10 lbs from a cruise, the holidays, and a trip to Hawaii. I wanted to learn good eating habits that would help me take off the extra 10 lbs, teach me how to eat in moderation, and not leave me feeling hungry and deprived all the time. The hardest part is still finding that balance between hungry and satisfied, but the counselor has been really helpful. Now that I have taken off the first 7lbs, it is really slowing down, and since I'm in a healthy weight range I'm trying to figure out a balance between trying to look like I did when I was 20 (Probably isn't going to happen) and settling in on a healthy weight and finding some styles that are flattering at that weight.

My Mom is a life member at WW and so she really felt if I joined and attended the meetings I would develop life long healthy eating habits.

I have some health concerns that motivate me to keep my weight low, so it is again trying to find a healthy and aesthetic weight that will work for me.

Kurt, I like the style of that first red top? I was also thinking about getting some tops a bit longer and wearing them with slim capris or bermuda's. I have some tops that I bought a few years ago when I was super slim and they looked great with capris and jeans, but now that I am bigger in the hips and tummy, the tops still fit but just aren't as flattering. Would I go similar styles in a bigger size? Those tops are sort of close cut empire boho style shirts.

OP, what are you doing at Weight Watchers when you're only a size 8??? ;)

Over the years I have joined a couple of weight loss programs when I only wanted to lose 10-12 pounds. This brought me a fair amount of grief from the "fluffier" members, but my attitude was "why not do it now instead of waiting for it to be 20, 25 or even 50 pounds!":eek:

Nip it in the bud as Barney Fife used to say.

Suzanne-

I , too , am a "pear-shape". Slim on top , va-va voom (ha!)hips. As age has creeped up , this natural tendency has been accentuated!

Things I have found to be flattering for my body type:

Wrap dresses (Diane Von Fostenberg style)

Dresses with a fitted top part and a fuller bottom part (sort of 50/60 s type dresses)

Fuller trousers with a fitted top

Cropped jackets with classic jeans or pants

Scarfs seem to help balance things

As for the baby doll style tops , I concur with all above that less fabric and a style that kind of "skims " your body is best.

I also work out a lot and I have found that lifting heavier weights for my upper body (back , arms etc) and lower weights with more reps for the lower body helps achieve a more balanced look. You like a more "petite" person , whereas , I am big (5´8 and a half) , but I think this approach is good for anyone who tend to gain weight on the lower half.

I think it is great you are going to Weight Watchers- I went a couple years ago (I am a size 8 too) and people made comments , but as others have said , nipping a problem in the bud is better than it get more serious! As we get older , it is frustrating that we work out as much and seem to eat less , but the pounds seem to appear no matter what!

Have fun shopping -hope you find cute stuff.

Kim

I am a size 8 (sometimes a 10 depending on the clothing line) and the big chest area thing is a problem for me with the babydoll shirts.

Normally I have to buy large sized shirts because of their size (ok, depends on the clothing line there too, sometimes I can manage a medium). I love and hate shopping for clothes. Most of the time the "in" thing looks hideous on me. LOL

In defense of the OP ... Weight Watchers allows people to participate as long as they are above the minimum recommended weight for their age, height and frame.

And in reality, if I had joined WW when I hit a size 8 I never would have hit a size 12!!!

I agree with Janine. I've always been slim, but a few years ago, over a period of 2 years, I put on 15 pounds! All in the lower region! That was my problem area during adolescence before I discovered proper diet and exercise. I became a size 8. I realized it was carbs - I was eating bagels all the time that people brought into work. I did take off the weight, and went back to a size 6. I asked my mom if I was eligible for WW after I had gained that weight. She said you have to be at least 10 lbs. overweight, so even with the 15, I couldn't join. I had wanted to join so I could learn how to keep weight off as the aging process continues. So I do think it's better to join sooner than later, before the problem really gets out of hand.

I agree with Janine. I've always been slim, but a few years ago, over a period of 2 years, I put on 15 pounds! All in the lower region! That was my problem area during adolescence before I discovered proper diet and exercise. I became a size 8. I realized it was carbs - I was eating bagels all the time that people brought into work. I did take off the weight, and went back to a size 6. I asked my mom if I was eligible for WW after I had gained that weight. She said you have to be at least 10 lbs. overweight, so even with the 15, I couldn't join. I had wanted to join so I could learn how to keep weight off as the aging process continues. So I do think it's better to join sooner than later, before the problem really gets out of hand.

Just keep doing what you are doing.....you sound knowledgeable.......why pay someone what you already know:confused:

Just keep doing what you are doing.....you sound knowledgeable.......why pay someone what you already know:confused:

Definitely gets harder with each passing birthday! I'll be hitting the big 5-0 the day I set sail - 10/10. Now I've added more aerobic to my workout than what I've been doing, and more ab crunching. Seems I have to keep tweaking and fine tuning my diet/exercise plan! I do worry about the menopause thing, though. All I keep hearing is weight gain, weight gain, weight gain!:eek:

People please...

I love and respect you all, but...

Can we keep this On Topic, and keep on target with Baby Doll tops and other clothing suggestions and ideas for Cruise Arizona?

The entire Weight Watchers issue was a side note, not the point of her question or this thread...

If you all want to start a Weight Watchers debate, can you please just start another thread on that?

Thanks in advance, for staying on the original topic.

Now, back to ideas and suggestions for flattering clothing ideas for her particular figure...;)

Archived