Which airport

We are going on the IOS on January 17th out of Fort Lauderdale. Which airport should we fly into? Orlando or Fort Lauderdale?

Huh. Is this a trick question? You are cruising from Fort Lauderdale, so why would you want to fly into any other airport other than Fort Lauderdale?

Fort Lauderdale airport is just a few miles from the port. Miami probably 25 to 35 miles away. Some like to avoid Miami as it is a big international airport. Most flights from South America go through there and it can be a bit of a zoo like all large international airports.

Ft. Lauderdale is clearly the closest and most convenient airport if you are sailing out of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). However, Miami is not that much further so a deciding factor for us would be the airfare and flight schedules. Jet Blue usually offers good fares from Boston to FLL but American can sometimes offer bargain fares to MIA. In most instances, however, once you add on the cost of transfers to the port, FLL will be your best choice. Orlando would not even enter my equation unless I were planning to spend some time there prior to the cruise. :)

Ft. Lauderdale is clearly the closest and most convenient airport if you are sailing out of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). However, Miami is not that much further so a deciding factor for us would be the airfare and flight schedules. Jet Blue usually offers good fares from Boston to FLL but American can sometimes offer bargain fares to MIA. In most instances, however, once you add on the cost of transfers to the port, FLL will be your best choice. Orlando would not even enter my equation unless I were planning to spend some time there prior to the cruise. :)

Well said.

Archived