Could you help us decide

My husband and I are wanting to take a Southern Caribbean Cruise. We are looking at taking a 7 day out of San Juan either in June or July (not this year though). Could you please tell us which ship and which itinerary you like the best and why? We are pretty open on all of our decisions right now so all your input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA:)

Cindy

My wife and I loved the Adventure out of San Juan. We did the Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, St Marteen, St Thomas route. St Lucia is my favorite Island. The other route the Adventure currently sails is very good also. I dont remember all the stops but I know it stops at Aruba and Curcaco.

I think it is hard to go wrong with the Southern route. So list out all the ships/itineraries for your date range. If "I" had to pick, it would be with Serenade or a Radiance-class ship. For Southern, "I" would pick based on ship, cruiseline, price, and 'maybe' how many SeaDays (I think CCL has a route with zero SeaDays, that is too many ports for us). I would be happy with any of the island choices.

Do factor in your flight to SJU, you should go a day early, get a hotel, etc.

You can read an older (but still relevant for your needs) review of our Serenade trip in the SigLink below. We will also be on AOS in just a few, so expect another review in midJune or so.

We are doing the Barbados itinerary on the AOS this August, originally wanted to do the Aruba itinerary but the dates did not work out, which is OK because I like a more port intensive cruise. I heard from other cruisers that I know that the Barbados itinerary is very nice also.

Just did the Southern itenerary on the Serenade and we have booked for the Adventure of the Sea's Feb 2011. I agree the southern ports are prime but I prefer the Voyager Class over Radience. I know most love the Serenade and I did as well but it is far too crowded on the only sea day and there are not as many area's for just hanging as there are on Adventure. I like the viewing area for the sports court and love the promenade for lunch and snacks. Missed this the most.

Serenade is beautiful and thier service was top knotch. For some the ship does not matter, for us it does. You will enjoy either choice... But this gives you something to think on.

smiles,

Patty

My husband and I are wanting to take a Southern Caribbean Cruise. We are looking at taking a 7 day out of San Juan either in June or July (not this year though). Could you please tell us which ship and which itinerary you like the best and why? We are pretty open on all of our decisions right now so all your input would be greatly appreciated.

Cindy

I've made a considerable number of cruises out of San Juan and have enjoyed all of them,

so I would say to you, pick out the one that you get the best deal on. :p However, as one of the others has mentioned, TRY YOUR BEST to fly to San Juan a day or two before the cruise and also try to stay a day or two after the cruise. ;) San Juan is a nice place in which to spend some time. But more important is that the San Juan airport is a veritable zoo on days that cruise ships arrive and depart. :eek: Arrivals are not too bad, but departures are awful, with "looooong" lines at airline desks and even longer ones at security locations. :( Whichever itinerary you decide on, I know you'll have a great cruise.

I am in the same boat! Looking to wait (sigh*) until next year to do a huge cruise! I love the itinerary w/Barbados out of San Juan. I have heard the Serence of the Seas is a great ship. Also, since we're in North-Eastern Pa, I am looking into the 9 Day one out of Bayonne on the Expolorer.

We loved the Southern Route. Went in March 2008 from San Juan on Adventure of the seas to Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas, St. Maarten. LOVED Aruba's beaches and Curacao's diving, especially.

Flying to San Juan was no more expensive than flying to Florida for us. Go a day or two early and sightsee in San Juan if you have not been there before!

Have a great time!

Just did the Southern itenerary on the Serenade and we have booked for the Adventure of the Sea's Feb 2011. I agree the southern ports are prime but I prefer the Voyager Class over Radience. I know most love the Serenade and I did as well but it is far too crowded on the only sea day and there are not as many area's for just hanging as there are on Adventure. I like the viewing area for the sports court and love the promenade for lunch and snacks. Missed this the most.

Serenade is beautiful and thier service was top knotch. For some the ship does not matter, for us it does. You will enjoy either choice... But this gives you something to think on.

smiles,

Patty

I too was on the Seranade last month , and i agree it is a great ship , but

i prefer the Voyager class also , missed the promenade deck. I would choose the Adventure over the Serenade if i do the Southern itinerary again. Beware of the extended balconies on deck 7 on the Serenade. They are not very private. They are located near the rear of the ship.

Its best to review deck plans closely when booking, so you know what you are getting.

Thanks everyone for the info! Keep it coming!!!

My husband and I prefer to have an aft. Is there a better location or a certain cabin we should check into. When we were on Mariner we had 9690 which was a corner aft. We loved this cabin even though some don't, but anywhere aft that doesn't have obstructed views would be great!

Cindy

We absolutely love the Southern route of STT, SMX, Antigua, ST lucia and Barbados. Just went on Serenade for the 2nd time in April so we could do that route. We also love the Serenade and of all the cruises we have been on, this Serenade we were on in April was the best ever. Amazing staff, ship is still so gorgeous. We booked a B2B on her already for 2011.

If you are going next June/July, your only choice is Serenade, and I think it is Sunday to Sunday. My vote would be this route - San Juan, Puerto Rico; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; St. John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; San Juan, Puerto Rico. Love all these islands.

have fun deciding.

Thanks for all the comments! Unfortunately we aren't going to be able to afford to go until 2012. But that will be our 5 year anniversary so it will be ok (sigh) to wait that long. Is it likely that it will still be Adventure and Serenade? Does anyone have any pictures they could share? My email is cymphoniek@yahoo.com if that is any easier.

TIA!

Cindy

As much as we enjoyed the southern route when we took the Serenade of the Seas, we thought 5 ports in the itinerary was a bit much. It was going, going, going. We had stayed in San Juan a couple days ahead of the cruise which was really nice. Rented a car and drove into the rain forest and to the other side of the island.

But, we wished there was 2 sea days at the end instead of just one. Next time I do that itinerary I will try to look for a longer cruise that maybe has a little more days at sea.

We had room #9256 a corner aft balcony. It was nice but you couldn't see down the side of the ship only mostly out the back. That was our first aft balcony and I didn't really understand what all the hype with the aft rooms was about.

Hi Sherry! I see that you have been on several cruise lines. Do you prefer one over the other? I was on Carnival's Sensation the week before Katrina hit but that is the only other one I have tried.

Thanks!

Cindy

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't prefer one over the other at this point. I like Princess, RCCL and Holland America real well. I had real good experiences on Celebrity but others more recently are not giving good reports.

Sorry that i am not more helpful. I think the food is a little better on Holland America but the specialty restaurant, Portofino's on RCCL is excellent. Their dining room is ho,hum just normal run of the mill.

Archived