I know this will sound ridiculous to some...

Tammiko

We've never experienced any inappropriate dances/moves on any cruise we've been on, Carnival, NCL, or RCI. We've taken our two kids to all the shows, except when they insisted on going to kids club, and they loved all of them. Just the other day my 5yr old granddaughter, who has never been on a cruise, was dancing very inappropriate and racy moves and my husband and I were shocked. Just like your little girl, all she was missing was the pole! I asked her where she learned how to dance like that and she giggled and said the TV.

At first she said nowhere, and I asked if she learned it from watching TV she said yea. And we all only have standard tv. So who knows, she may have made up some of her own moves because she loves to dance.

With shows like 'So you think you can dance' on mainstream networks, I'm sure she was being quite honest about where she saw the moves. A few years ago we realized we'd made a mistake in letting our daughter watch the Austin Powers movies - after all, they don't have any real violence, there's no profanity, and we expected all the adult references to just go over her head. Well, all this was true, but we didn't count on Mini-Me... who regularly gives people 'the finger' and 'humps' things. The finger thing was easy - a simple explanation that it was a bad way to say 'go away' and that they wrote it into the movie to show how naughty he was... the other... well, let's just say that it was hard not to burst into laughter when she grabbed my leg and started 'imitating Mini-Me'. The last thing I wanted to do was encourage it, of course, so I was strong! I calmly asked her what she was doing, and when she told me, I explained that it was another 'naughty' behaviour that was in the show to emphasize how 'bad' he was. The tough part came when she asked me why it was naughty... but I just told her that it was similar in nature to 'the finger' and thankfully she was happy with that. WHEW!!! All I kept thinking was how happy I was that she'd chosen to try it in private and not at the mall!!! :p

Hey Tammiko,

Say Happy Birthday to Lanie for us, and I think we owe you an email.

I was going to post that I was shocked to see the shows on the Summit when I sailed on the eastbound TA in 2008, but then realized that's the X ship you were on also- lol.

We haven't had the imitation problem around our house- Elizabeth is finishing up her one year of dance lessons and wants to go back to gymnastics.

greetings to Bruce, too.

Wendy

We took my then-18 mo on an NCL cruise last year, and I don't remember anything inappropriate in the shows except for the Second City show which had a little foul language and "adult" humor. (And I think I would remember things being inappropriate since I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff, too!)

I'm so glad to see this post! In the back of my mind I've been wondering if it was just me. :rolleyes:

I have four kids and we're pretty fun and I don't think we're prudes, but we've really been a little skeptical of some of the costumes on Carnival and RCI lately. I, personally, don't have any desire for my 5 year old daughter to be looking at some woman dressed like she's a street walker with her butt hanging out of her G-string. Not to mention my 14 and 10 year old boys who like it a little TOO much! :eek:

I would really love to see one or two show on each ship that were completely kid friendly. I know many adults enjoy a more adult atmosphere, and I think that's fine, but the ocassional show that's really intended for families would be great! Like you guys, my kids really enjoy the entertainment. The magician's are the only ones I feel completely comfy with and they've added dancers lately that are still questionable for a five year old.

I think most people's mentalities are just changing. I was in the Orient Beach thread the other day and someone commented that she was a little uncomfortable with her kids there because of the nudity. (she didn't know before hand it was a nude beach on one side or she would have chosen another beach) Someone commented back that she was a prude and that Americans really needed to loosen their "standards". Personally, I think it's the opposite. I think most of the world is becoming so focused on anything that devalues traditional morals that we've lost focus on innocence NOT being a bad thing. That's just my opinion, though. :)

On RCCL the only shows that are a bit risque for an young kids would be the Quest and the Love and Marriage show. The funny thing is that they show repeats of at least the Love and Marriage show on the ship's TV. Can't remember about the Quest.

On our last cruise, RCCL introduced a new late night comedy show that was 18 and over. Even that wasn't all that "blue" but some of the jokes weren't suitable for young kids. What was interesting is that some older kids seemed to be hanging out in the doorway to the club.

Everything else is pretty tame although I realize that tastes vary on this subject. Like many, I really the Disney Cruise and I wish it was a bit more affordable. Hopefully with their new ships the prices may come down a bit.

I've never thought Royal Caribbean's production shows from the singers and dancers were racy or suggestive. My kids have seen Pure Country, the Piano Man and many others that were fun, high energy and acceptable for all family members. Sometimes they prefer to come to the production shows, but most times they choose Adventure Ocean. I've never been at a production show that I thought needed censoring for my kids. Now, the late night shows and comedians are another story and they don't attend those!

We sailed on HAL's Zuiderdam two years ago. None of the shows were inappropriate. The crew told us that if you went to the early shows (8:00ish) that they would keep it clean, but if you went to the later shows, no guarantee.

Archived