I know this will sound ridiculous to some...

Tammiko

I realize that most people have no problems with the productions shows for the kids... and that is great... but for us we've been finding that they have been getting a little racy for little ones.

Our (just turned) six year old daughter loves to dance and has been trying to mimic them and she has shocked and embarrassed too many people lately. As a matter of fact when visiting family after our celebrity cruise someone suggested that she only needed a pole! :rolleyes:

The obvious answer is to just leave her in the kid's club, but she sincerely loves the singing and dancing, so my question is whether or not there is a line out there that has more 'family oriented' production shows?

We are going on HAL for the first time in a few weeks, will we fare any better there? Or are we going to have to do Disney to find dancing girls that do not bump and grind in G-Strings? ;)

Thanks!

I'm sorry I can't answer your actual question, but it does not sound the least bit ridiculous. Not at all, in fact. Our children grow up all too fast and mimic the adult moves and attitudes they see. What really bothers me is when I see clothing for little girls that is more suited to, um, "professionals" (as it were) and is not something I, as a fully mature and certainly not "shy" adult, would wear in public.

beachchick

Not ridiculous at all. I have the same concerns. And even in Camp Carnival, they take the kids to the show and issue a "warning" to parents that the shows contain skimpy costumes and suggestive dancing.

So to answer, honestly, yes, the cruise lines are catering to the adults in the audience. Disney was the only cruise line that we have been on that didn't have those types of dancers.

Not ridiculous at all. I have the same concerns. And even in Camp Carnival, they take the kids to the show and issue a "warning" to parents that the shows contain skimpy costumes and suggestive dancing.

So to answer, honestly, yes, the cruise lines are catering to the adults in the audience. Disney was the only cruise line that we have been on that didn't have those types of dancers.

So how did you get around this on your other cruises? We just got back from a 7 night cruise on the Disney Magic over spring break, it was beyond wonderful!

While we did rebook on board, I am still looking around at other cruise lines that have new ships coming out and are lower in cost. The ones that appeal to DH and I are Celebrity and HAL...we're older parents and so we like the more subdued atmosphere and activities that appear to be on those cruise lines...

But, let's face it, if your kids aren't happy it can make for a miserable time - LOL! I don't want to only have the option of the kids club, I would like to be able to do other things with DD on board. What else is there to do on these other cruise lines? With Disney there were appropriate shows, movies, games, etc. all in addition to the kids clubs...

Do I need to stick with Disney or is there something else out there for a family like us?

P.S. DD will be 8 the next time we cruise.

You know, I mentioned the same thing to hubby when we were on the Carnival Glory last week. I was glad that our 3-year-old (who loves dance and music) was either at Camp Carnival or in our cabin with her grandma and not at the shows with us. :eek:

So how did you get around this on your other cruises? We just got back from a 7 night cruise on the Disney Magic over spring break, it was beyond wonderful!

While we did rebook on board, I am still looking around at other cruise lines that have new ships coming out and are lower in cost. The ones that appeal to DH and I are Celebrity and HAL...we're older parents and so we like the more subdued atmosphere and activities that appear to be on those cruise lines...

But, let's face it, if your kids aren't happy it can make for a miserable time - LOL! I don't want to only have the option of the kids club, I would like to be able to do other things with DD on board. What else is there to do on these other cruise lines? With Disney there were appropriate shows, movies, games, etc. all in addition to the kids clubs...

Do I need to stick with Disney or is there something else out there for a family like us?

P.S. DD will be 8 the next time we cruise.

Family activities are available on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I haven't sailed Hal or Celebrity yet so I don't know how they do it.

As far as the shows, yep, I keep the kids out of the shows whenever possible. I have allowed my 9 year old to go to the one Carnival show. But she's a pretty mature kid. If I allowed my 5 year old, I would have a "pole dance routine" when she came out. :eek: So she goes to camp carnival, no shows.

What about Princess?

I know alot of families around here do Hal and Celebrity and had a wonderful time, so many they can chime in. :)

We have taken our DD (3.5 yrs) to the shows because she loves them. While I havent seen any pole routines or racy behavior, it did bother me when they kick their legs and the skirt goes up to reveal a thong. Luckily she never asked about it but she was younger then. I bet this time around she will say something. I would say Camp would be the best bet. Our DD hasnt taken to camp yet, she is very shy and nervous around new situations so she always crys for us to come get her.

I hate to sound like an old fogey, but it is to the point that it is hard to even let your kids watch standard TV anymore. Not some of the shows so much (you can block ones you don't like) - its the ads!

There is that disgusting ad for "Dance Movie" or whatever where the one woman gives birth on the dance floor and the other women does a pole dance and spreads her legs suggestively. There are ads for "ED" products, and the ones for KY "His and Hers".

What exactly is supposed to be "entertaining" about scantily clad young men and women engaged in simulated sex acts -- that is now passed off as some of the shows. I will attend and will let my DD attend some of the shows -- but not the "production numbers". In most cases you can get an idea either off of the promos on the in-room tv or by talking to someone at the pursuers desk as to whether some of the singers/singing groups and magicians and the like are appropriate. I've pretty much given up on the comedians - if it isn't disgusting (fart/poop/snot) or racey -- it is beyond most comedians these days.

Thank you everyone, I'm glad I'm not just a 'prude' LOL.

Has anyone here been on HAL that can speak up on what their shows are like?

P.S. The scary part about all of the clothes and media that is out there is that it has become not only normal to see but they have made it so attractive to kids that when I try to explain that it is totally inappropriate for my young daughter to want to wear that stuff she is frustrated and doesn't understand why I don't like it??? It is so pretty and 'cool'. And the girl's bums (on stage) were nice! OMG! :eek::eek::eek:

And the fact that they sell the 'teen/adult' style clothes for such young children sure doesn't help when you are telling them that it isn't proper for someone of such an age. It isn't any wonder they are confused.

This last cruise on Royal Caribbean has some really nice shows. The only skimpy out fits I saw were at the ice show & I figure that's to be expected. One of the shows was based on fairy tales and love stories & they had some of the best costumes I'd seen in a long time. Everything from Huge princess ball gowns to the "Grease" 1950's outfits. All very family friendly.

We sailed on Holland America Eurodam with our two daughters (aged 12 and 5) in March. Both girls decided that they preferred to go to Club HAL after dinner rather than attend the shows. We didn't attend all the shows but I don't recall anything racy in any of the ones we saw. The costumes weren't really skimpy and I didn't think that there was anything that would have been inappropriate for my daughters (my youngest is also the type that would imitate any dance routine that she saw).

We sailed Princess to Alaska a couple of years ago and I don't remember anything particularly racy in their shows either (not sure how good my memory is after two years though). We are sailing again this summer on Princess in the Baltics so I'm hoping now that the shows are ok.

Hope that helps.

Lisa

I totally agree! I'm a young adult and recently went on my first Carnival cruise. I was shocked by the outfits and thought that I was the only one! I think that Carnival's shows have more revealing outfits compared to Royal Caribbean. I've been to every show on all of my four cruises because I'm a dancer myself and love to watch performances. I think that Carnival's choice of music is better than Royal Caribbean's for their shows, but Royal Caribbean has better outfits, in my opinion.

• Administrators

I can't imagine a HAL ship having a "pole dance" type routine -- that certainly isn't what the production shows were like on our HAL cruise last summer! I think HAL would be more worried about their passengers on the other end of the age spectrum, rather than kids, though. :)

I've cruised on Royal Caribbean, Princess & Carnival. My favorite shows were on RC. We are taking our kids on their first cruise in a couple weeks, and I hope the shows were like the ones we saw on our first cruise, I remember them being family friendly for the most part. The ones on Princess I wouldn't have taken the kids to, and Carnival's I didn't even take myself to, LOL (they were lame, every night we left after the first 15 minutes).

I realize that most people have no problems with the productions shows for the kids... and that is great... but for us we've been finding that they have been getting a little racy for little ones.

Gee will have to call mom, she took my younger sister and I to a burlesque show in Vegas back in the 70's. But we knew that was just a show and the ladies wore body suits. Fortunately no foul words in those shows back then.

I worry more about language used in shows over the dancing and costumes.

We recently took our first NCL cruise and I was very impressed by the production shows--and pleasantly surprised that the costumes were not quite as skimpy as some I have seen lately on Princess and Carnival.

I don't think this is a ridiculous worry at all. Many kids grow up way too fast nowadays and inappropriate children's clothing that mimics teens or adults is all over the place.

I don't go to many shows, but from the advertising outside the theatre, and from the ones I have attended, the NCL productions are not racy. I remember that there was one that they stated very clearly was more adult oriented and they had an age restriction for it, so there was no danger of any kids being exposed to anything their parents weren't prepared for.

I don't go to many shows, but from the advertising outside the theatre, and from the ones I have attended, the NCL productions are not racy. I remember that there was one that they stated very clearly was more adult oriented and they had an age restriction for it, so there was no danger of any kids being exposed to anything their parents weren't prepared for.

I didn't see anything I'd call racy either; no thongs visible, etc. I must say though, the Jewel had the most buff, toned male dancers and performers I have ever seen, and the guys definitely showed off their physiques with a lot of bare chests. Um, I didn't mind this a bit!

My friends daughter is a dancer on Celebrity. She has been posting lots of pictures and I haven't seen any racy costumes yet. They also have a Cirque de Soleil show onboard. Those are usually family friendly. I will ask her if they have any racy/Vegas type shows onboard.

I have a different problem...I don't have little girls that imitate, I have preteen boys that salivate....tee hee

Our (just turned) six year old daughter loves to dance and has been trying to mimic them and she has shocked and embarrassed too many people lately. As a matter of fact when visiting family after our celebrity cruise someone suggested that she only needed a pole! :rolleyes:

The obvious answer is to just leave her in the kid's club, but she sincerely loves the singing and dancing, so my question is whether or not there is a line out there that has more 'family oriented' production shows?

We are going on HAL for the first time in a few weeks, will we fare any better there? Or are we going to have to do Disney to find dancing girls that do not bump and grind in G-Strings? ;)

Thanks!

I don't think this is ridiculous and I'm glad you mentioned it. I wasn't too thrilled with the shows last time with a 15 yr. old boy, 10 yr. old girl, 6 yr. old boy, and baby.

So, my question is, if you don't attend the shows, should you do the late seating for dining? What do you do during the shows or do you put your kids in the camp? The problem is that 2 of our kids are too old for camp unless they happen to want to go to the older camps, so what do we do with them while we attend the shows, or is it even worth going to at all?

Thanks - it's too bad they don't make these more kid friendly.

I've taken my three young sons the last two years on Celebrity ships and I haven't seen anything racy or provocative (can't believe I missed it) and we go to all the shows. The kids really love them. What shows were these?

Archived